100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 18-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Chat Slapper

Default Looking for a good route through France

About ten of us are planning to ride through France and Spain next year. Starting in Santander and riding to Caen to get the ferry home. We've got three and a half days to do it and want to avoid motorways if poss. It works out about 200-250 miles per day. Can anyone recomend some good places to see or stay. The smaller the town the better
Old 18-08-2010, 05:12 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Did the same route about 7 years back and stayed on a campsite at a place called Bourg, north side of the Garonne estuary. Good campsite (showers, usable toilets) and a pretty decent restaurant in the village.
Old 18-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Chatter Box

Default roscoff?

hey timbo, why not come back over roscoff? i live in plymouth i know but u in cardiff surely roscoff to plymouth would be the last leg home?. anyway, i came back up through the loire valley, stunning, and then we worked our way up to caen and done the normandy beaches, memorials,etc. omaha cemetary is a must, security tight though. ammaranches a good campsite and a 2min walk to the village, expensive but ok.
if on your route you find a medieval village in the north called domfront, stop at the site near the town,10mins, and a great old town, again ,expensive.
i found the campsites very good and mostly clean and tidy.
another place i would recommend would be inside the walls of st.malo and then come right back along the coast to plymouth, a great ride.
i also done la rochelle, quimper, vannes, rennes but motorways and twintracks are really not for sightseeing!.
have fun mate and dont forget the spare bulbs, first aid kit etc!!!!
Old 19-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Jedi Chat Master

You don't need to plan nuffink in France Timbo. Just stay off the toll roads and enjoy. There's decent cheap campsites everywhere, lots of them with pools and bars etc. Me and me mates did Newcastle - Faro and back through France, Spain n Portugal with minimal planning (4082 miles). Spain's a little more difficult as not a lot of people camp due to the heat, hostels are almost as cheap though. Enjoy
Old 19-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Chat Slapper

Thanks for the replies. Time to fire up Google maps I think. After the last French trip we're going B+B. 11 hour ride through 10 hours of rain, which only stopped in time for me to run out of petrol. None of us have ridden from that far down before, sounds as easy as the rest of France though.

Cheers

Tim
Old 20-08-2010, 11:40 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Top tip. If you're not camping, stay overnight in non touristy areas. Good BnB with en-suite, a/c etc will cost ya about E45 for a twin room out in the sticks. Cheapest we found while dripping around the Loire valley was E89. Also the plat de jour's gan up from aboot E7 in the sticks to E50 where the mugs hang out.
Old 21-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Default france route: municipals

use 'municipals' the best cheapest campsites in france, generally got showers, food somewhere near & v. cheap-there are websites-example: http://www.indigoguide.com/france/camping.htm

find the local 'sportsbar' every one horse has got at least one & they will look after you-know where the locals/bikers hang.

travel light-everything you need is on the road & unlike here if you want to stop off the side of the road & kip, nobody will fuck with you unless y'are causing problems. its the cheapest way to do & on some of the D roads you'll find BBQ pits, bogs and in some free showers,

we brits are too fucking cheap to install that shit: make 'em use service stations!

oh, and buy pastis at every opportunity.
Old 22-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster
Default Get yourself a copy

of the Michelin guide CAMPING FRANCE or if your using a satnav download & install the ARCHIES CAMPING POI`s into your satnav then at the end of the day you can look up the nearest campsite en-route. Cross check the facilities in the book and the satnav will take you there

Last edited by Peirre; 22-08-2010 at 09:18 AM.