100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > New Member Introductions

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23-07-2010, 12:30 AM
LazyBones LazyBones is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10
Default Hello all....from a biking newbie....but a long time chopper enthusiast...

Hi folks...

I live in S.W. France at the moment....

I've been a big fan of Harleys and choppers most of my life....however for one reason or another I have lived this interest through biker mags such as Back Street Heroes, Easyrider and other custom bike mags from my armchair; I have never owned a bike of my own nor gotten a full licence....

However that has all changed due to the generosity of a one time employer and fellow bike enthusiast....

I am now the owner of a 1983 Yamaha XV 750 SE......but there are a few obsticals to over come before I can get on the road with it....#1. I need a licence, #2. the bike is Swiss registered, #3. the bike has not run for 5 years or more....

Once those obsticals have been over come I plan to chop the XV....in its present form its just a tad too small and cramped and ofcourse stock....

It would be nice to meet fellow enthusiasts and pick their brains about both getting the XV on the road again and chopping it......

Thanks Lazy.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23-07-2010, 04:00 AM
Taff's Avatar
Taff Taff is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 4,954
Default

Welcome to the rest of your life then (the bike, not the forum), get on with it you lazy fucker, it's worth it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Nik Nik is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Saarfuk
Posts: 6,072
Send a message via MSN to Nik
Default

Hmm, and you've chosen the name Lazy? Might be a while before that bike gets on the road then ...

Welcome to the forum!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23-07-2010, 08:49 AM
The Beer Monsters's Avatar
The Beer Monsters The Beer Monsters is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
Hmm, and you've chosen the name Lazy? Might be a while before that bike gets on the road then ...

Welcome to the forum!
That's rich coming from you, you workshy fop...

Welcome to the forum LazyBones
__________________
And when I run out of drugs, I'm going to start using explosives (A J Stiles on The Register)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Nik Nik is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Saarfuk
Posts: 6,072
Send a message via MSN to Nik
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beer Monsters View Post
That's rich coming from you, you workshy fop...

Welcome to the forum LazyBones
Dunno wot y' mean, guv, I've got three bikes on the road and will have six by the end of the Summer ...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23-07-2010, 09:12 AM
The Beer Monsters's Avatar
The Beer Monsters The Beer Monsters is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
Dunno wot y' mean, guv, I've got three bikes on the road and will have six by the end of the Summer ...
Who are you paying to do that for you then, Nik?
__________________
And when I run out of drugs, I'm going to start using explosives (A J Stiles on The Register)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23-07-2010, 09:25 AM
LazyBones LazyBones is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Thanks for the welcome guys....

And yes the profile name does describe me pretty well....will need a swift kick up the ass every now and again.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Nik Nik is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Saarfuk
Posts: 6,072
Send a message via MSN to Nik
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beer Monsters View Post
Who are you paying to do that for you then, Nik?
Paul at Pointy Hat is doing the engineering side of things 'cos I can't weld and don't have a machine shop.

Your point? Let's see this fantastic bike you've built all your own then, Huw?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23-07-2010, 10:11 AM
LazyBones LazyBones is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10
Default

So is Paul at Pointy Hat good then?

Where is he based?

Is he expensive?

As I don't know how to weld and I don't have a machine shop.

Last edited by LazyBones; 23-07-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23-07-2010, 10:12 AM
The Beer Monsters's Avatar
The Beer Monsters The Beer Monsters is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
Paul at Pointy Hat is doing the engineering side of things 'cos I can't weld and don't have a machine shop.

Your point? Let's see this fantastic bike you've built all your own then, Huw?
Rumbled...

*puts the wooden spoon away*
__________________
And when I run out of drugs, I'm going to start using explosives (A J Stiles on The Register)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 25-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Nik Nik is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Saarfuk
Posts: 6,072
Send a message via MSN to Nik
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyBones View Post
So is Paul at Pointy Hat good then?

Where is he based?

Is he expensive?

As I don't know how to weld and I don't have a machine shop.
Very. Tilbury, Essex. Nope, but because he's good, he's busy and there's a bit of a waiting list. http://phwfabrications.com/

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 25-07-2010, 07:35 PM
LazyBones LazyBones is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Thanks for the info Nik....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 25-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Beano's Avatar
Beano Beano is offline
Qualified Sniggerer (MDLCSS)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blowing stuff up in a field..
Posts: 1,874
Default

Hurry up.....as soon as your on the bike you will wonder why you left it so long.....did I say hurry up.....
Just finished an XV 81' Trike....so have loads of spare parts if you need anything.....just remember the starter assembly gear sounds like a bag of old spanners as it slams itself into the rotor....dont let this frighten you...it is part of their charm.... (you will never get looks of admiration as it starts up....usually looks of horror or winces...)

Last edited by Beano; 25-07-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 26-07-2010, 11:29 AM
LazyBones LazyBones is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Thanks Beano for the heads up....

At the moment I have a cash flow problem....which is there simply is no spare cash to throw the XV's way at the moment......

So I'm seriously thinking of going back to UK and get me some regular work so I can finance the bikes rebuild.....and get me a bike licence whilst I'm at it.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 26-07-2010, 12:28 PM
wirral chopper wirral chopper is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 46
Default

welcome and good luck with the build
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 26-07-2010, 08:07 PM
TektroG's Avatar
TektroG TektroG is offline
Type like a Twat Me...
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Toulouse, France
Posts: 777
Default

I'm in SW France too. I'm sure there's a good reason why the bike is Swiss registered, but could be a nightmare if you wanna get it on a French plate. Easier to put it on a UK one probably. And as for chops in France, forget about it...

There's probably someone who can help you, but for sure there's not the choice of builders there is in the UK.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 27-07-2010, 01:12 AM
LazyBones LazyBones is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Nice to know I'm not the only one here in France...

The bike is Swiss registered because the guy who gave it to me works in Switzerland and bought it there....it didn't work when he bought it...he just bought it on the spur of the moment...he does that alot....anyway he gave it to me because he really couldn't be bothered with it anymore....his loss my gain....

As to chopper builders here in France....theres a very good one in Angouleme called Chopper Engineering.....however I will probably do as you suggest anyway as with most things in France these days getting my bike chopped here will be very expensive!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 31-07-2010, 09:21 AM
John Hopkins's Avatar
John Hopkins John Hopkins is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tredegar, South Wales
Posts: 16,062
Default

Welcome to the forum.

John
__________________
Beauty is skin deep; ugly goes right to the bone
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 31-07-2010, 01:42 PM
LazyBones LazyBones is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10
Default

Thanks John.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.