100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 08-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Location: Romney Marsh...like Wales but flatter and the sheep don't keep looking over their shoulders!!
Default NIK, you've got a lot to answer for!!

Anyone else seen this bit of "non biased investigative journalism?
Apparently (according to statistics) we are all destined to have an accident within 6 months!!
BUT our esteemed editor has problems staying shiny (matt black) side up, so how many are down to him??

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news...on-wheels.html

seriously someone should take this "journalist" and the prize idiot from Post Office Insurance to task over this, and soon!
Old 08-07-2010, 03:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyphil View Post
seriously someone should take this "journalist" and the prize idiot from Post Office Insurance to task over this, and soon!
A lot of people have been doing for the last four days.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

It that the News of the World I see... divide the figures by 100 add twelve and the multiply by 2 and you might be within the ball park of the actual number!!!
www.youtube.com/Gothtecdotcom
------------------------
Old 08-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Chatter Box

Numbers, Numbers and more numbnuts. Glad i have the choice to live and ride
than exist without choice.
Seen plenty of cars in the same state. Also fallen over more curbs than i have fallen off bikes. Perhaps i should stop walking. If i dont breath i wont catch a cold.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Britain's 1.4million bikers make up less than ONE PER CENT of traffic but suffer 14 PER CENT of road deaths and serious injuries, government figures show.

Taken from the article...

So there are over 140 million vehicles on the road, that is more than two for every man, woman child and baby that lives in the country.

Obviously the facts have been carefully researched and the figures double checked...Probably taken from our illustrious police force statistics.

John
Old 09-07-2010, 02:25 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Location: Romney Marsh...like Wales but flatter and the sheep don't keep looking over their shoulders!!

My point exactly, someone is supply these pie in the sky figures, unfortunately someone else will read and believe them, then I expect (as we have seen in the past) we will have some hand wringing politician or "road safety expert" trying to push more bullshit, regulations, laws and "protective equipment" our way.
Takes you back to the helmet law scenario...."oooh look loads of people are wearing lids, so we should make it compulsory"
Why can't we be considered responsible for our own actions and consequences....and why can't people give a REAL UNDISTORTED story
I might regret this huge can of worms I'm cracking open!!
Old 09-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
Britain's 1.4million bikers make up less than ONE PER CENT of traffic but suffer 14 PER CENT of road deaths and serious injuries, government figures show.

So there are over 140 million vehicles on the road, that is more than two for every man, woman child and baby that lives in the country.
I'm not taking issue with that bit - I own way more than two vehicles. I do take issue with OTHER STUFF
Old 09-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Jedi Chat Master

nicely said Blue
I've dug around to find an email address for this "reporter" and can't find one although she does have a facebook page!!
Old 09-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgyphil View Post
nicely said Blue
I've dug around to find an email address for this "reporter" and can't find one although she does have a facebook page!!

sophy.ridge@notw.co.uk

Old 09-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Jedi Chat Master

and what shall we do with this info children??
Old 09-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I'm not taking issue with that bit - I own way more than two vehicles. I do take issue with OTHER STUFF
Don't forget if the majority of your vehicles are motorbikes you are only contributing to the 1%, and 20% of the population are under 16 years old, I doubt if they own any part of the vehicular 'traffic' unless they are including bicycles, children's scooters, and children's tricycles as well as wheelchairs and invalid carriages, even allowing for commercial vehicles, 140 million seems a bit steep.

2006 figures...

The DVLA figures show that the overall number of cars on UK roads has increased by 1.8% compared with 2004, rising from 25,754,000 to 26,208,000.

Registrations of company cars have increased sharply by 6.1% over the same period and now stand 2,434,000.

The new statistics also show that the number of private buyers registering new cars has dropped for the first time by 6.0%. In 2004, private motorists put 2,599,000 new cars on the road, compared with 2,443,000 in 2005.

Overall, there are 32,897,000 vehicles registered for use on UK roads including cars, vans, taxis, buses and trucks.

John

Last edited by John Hopkins; 09-07-2010 at 05:46 PM.