100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 24-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Chatter Box

Default Advice needed: Making a trike out of an old pre 73 frame.

Hi All

I'm starting another project, this time I'm going to do a trike. I have a question or two about triking a bike frame:

Its a Pre 73 frame which I'm prob going to pop in a Reliant engine, gearbox and axle setup.

The frame does not have any paperwork but I can get a dating cert from the owners club.

The frame its self won't be modified, it will have original front end, tank and rear setup, really only difference will be the engine. The reliant axle will be bolted onto the rear via the original setup

Can I weld brackets to the frame or is that considered modifying the fame? Would it be OK if they were bolted on?

As the engine will be mainly the only thing that will change in the bike after I MOT or SVA it depending on what they ask, it will I be able to get a age related plate if I have a dating cert from the club?

As its a pre 73 frame will I have to comply with current specs for a trike, i.e. hazard lights etc. etc.

Thanks in Advance

Paul
Old 24-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Qualified Sniggerer (MDLCSS)

Odie, Blackjack, Borg, Draken,V8 and many other good folk will be along to point you in the right direction.
If its bolt on ....no SVA..
But it will be modified ...ie different engine....
I would like to know if it has no registration how can it have an authenticity certificat just for the frame as the engine is not original or same make etc....
I think its also about % of original bike used....ie only triumph frame will not get you triumph/age related registration.
Anyway.....those that know will be along shortly....I would love to know all this myself.
Old 24-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Borg

If it has no doc its SVA all the way just to get a reg doc for it.

If you get an age related plate thats for it as a motorbike, once you change the engine you will need an engineers report, then once you trike it you'll need SVA, unless its a bolt on/off job.

SVA isn't that bad and you don't need a MOT for 3 years.

As for 'old regs' you will lose that as it will become a new vehicle as a trike.

Hazard lights are back dated.
Old 24-03-2010, 07:13 PM
Chatter Box

Thanks all for the info.

Its not the SVA that bothers me, I just don't want to have fork out for road tax to whoever the next government is. Our roads are shit and why should I fork out for something that will never get fix... Anyway that's me rant over with Also I love having a black number plate

Yes I plan the axle to be a bolt on using the original setup but depending on the way I do I may weld some brackets to the frame, for the engine mounts etc.