100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 15-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Not quite the same, wearing old army clothes.

I was never in the Army, but I wear ex-army stuff sometimes: it's cheap, well made and does the job.

Never had a squaddie try to rip it off my back, either.

Wouldn't wear the Triumph jacket though. Too expensive, and it'd annoy people I really don't want to annoy.
Old 15-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post
See I remember when we was British and Rockers, we could have something on our back and it was just 'that' a badge.

Now we have to 'ask' for permission to do this and do that. All from what is basically an American system

All this MC club stuff. I fucking hate IT.
Yup some of us wore these on our backs in circa 68-69 that's me at the end (right) with a clean back I seemed to of had an insight

Just a crossed chequered flags and a racing helmeted face, nothing more just kids. Good ole Lewis Leathers and Millets.

Name:  knuckle old photos 0023.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  39.5 KB

Regards Knuckle 'ed

Harley-Davidson Rider

Last edited by knuckle; 15-02-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 15-02-2010, 12:09 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Last summer we had the Bonnie celebration at Gaydon one guy turned up dressed like Brando ....the Thunderbird 6T all the gear even the daft hat.....his choice....he said he loved the film and loved Bonnies....I am sure he will probably have one of these jackets by now. Britain is full of eccentrics and weirdos ...if he gets pleasure out of riding a well restored bike and bit of escapism then good for him.

It is bad enough as bikers we are getting grief from European govt, our own govt and plod without giving each other grief, would I wear one no...but why should the guy who has spent his time and his money retoring a classic bike be denied, would he look any dafter than those blokes who wear dresses at rallies ....

Most bikers know the difference between patches and would the main clubs really be so pissed of if they saw a guy on well restored Bonnie / Thunderbird wearing the jacket. Most of us of certain age our first foray into big bikes was on the back of an old Brit bike. Having spoken to many patch holders most hold Bonnies etc in great affection ....I think it would be down to the attitude of the person wearing the jacket ..if he wants to fully go down the "What're you rebelling against, Johnny?", answer "Whaddya got?" then I am sure plenty of people will help to set him straight....or rip the utter pish ....

Triumph Owners Motorcycle Club Glasgow

http://www.tomccglasgow.co.uk/
Old 15-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhaf View Post
Last summer we had the Bonnie celebration at Gaydon one guy turned up dressed like Brando ....the Thunderbird 6T all the gear even the daft hat.....his choice....
I remember him. I think I even used a pic of him in the BSH coverage of the Bonnie 50th!
Old 15-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Chatter Box

i honestly dont see a problem with it... ok so its similar to the charlie patch, but at the end of the day, with out marlon brando and the wild one, would back patch clubs be as popular as they are today? So maybe patch clubs should show the design a little respect? And surly anyone in any patch club can tell the difference between the brando jacket and charlie?

Black rebels motorcycle club forever lol!

(ok so i sat and watched the film last night)

Old 15-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

ive not watched the movie for years, brilliant movie.
i remember winning a pool tournament in the hotel i was staying in at the T.T. 20 odd years ago. the trophy got tied to the front of my bonnie
Old 15-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Chatter Box

If you wore that jacket around Stoke it wouldn't be long before someone had a quiet word in your shell like.
Old 16-02-2010, 07:41 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
i honestly dont see a problem with it... ok so its similar to the charlie patch, but at the end of the day, with out marlon brando and the wild one, would back patch clubs be as popular as they are today? So maybe patch clubs should show the design a little respect? And surly anyone in any patch club can tell the difference between the brando jacket and charlie?

Black rebels motorcycle club forever lol!

(ok so i sat and watched the film last night)

Do you honestly think thats where patch clubs come from, a movie?
Have a read of the book ''The original wild ones''
Old 16-02-2010, 09:27 AM

Any patch club member with half a brain and an ounce of self respect would double take at it, figure out what it is straight away, and carry on about their business.
Unfortunately, not all patch club members fulfil this criteria, and that's where the problems would start. One would assume that a food stall that attends any rally in the country, trying to earn a crust (i know, boom fucking boom...) and sticks a sticker from each one they attend, on their stall, to show that they're a biker orientated outfit as opposed to having drifted in cos there's no car boot sale that weekend, would be safe. Unfortunately, that's not always the case. One would also assume that a favorite t-shirt proclaiming that an innocent biker had attended Bulldog Bash 1996, was easily discernable from an 18" wide winged skull on the back of a jacket. Again, when Brain Cell's mates are behind him and he's out to impress, and he's 100% sure that the wearer is just an innocent punter, and not what he's pretending to think that it means, then bullying and bravado will follow.
It's a cross that UK bikers unfortunately have to bear.
I gotta say though, fifty of the Triumph Owner's Club a mile ahead on the M1, would raise eyebrows and heckles...
Old 16-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taff View Post
I gotta say though, fifty of the Triumph Owner's Club a mile ahead on the M1, would raise eyebrows and heckles...
I wish we could get even close 50 ...I think the total membership for scotland must be around 250 jeesus we struggle to get about a dozen once a month and thats during the good weather ......and the average age would probably be around the 55 years old mark......only thing any back patch club would have to worry about is being bored to death by some ...they do tend to be a bit anal ....oooh thats the wrong screw holding on your throttle housing thats from a 1979 what you should have is from a 1976 they used that on the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

Triumph Owners Motorcycle Club Glasgow

http://www.tomccglasgow.co.uk/
Old 16-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Qualified Sniggerer (MDLCSS)

I prefer to be unlabled.....to much nonsense....politics/bravado/ball-size/agro/bra-size....blah blah blah........bad run in with the Brownies when I was 7.....
But each to there own of course...
Old 16-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidhaf View Post
..they do tend to be a bit anal ....oooh thats the wrong screw holding on your throttle housing thats from a 1979 what you should have is from a 1976 they used that on the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........
Fuck me, that sounds like the guy I met a the Bulldog in 95, I was doing up an old 1975 GL1000, my, did he rip into me about using the wrong parts, I then had the misfortune to run into the same guy at the last Chopper Club rally at LLandow, where I proceeded to take the same GL1000 down the drag strip all day on the Sunday.

Apparently I'm banned from ever joining the Goldwing owners club.
Old 16-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
Do you honestly think thats where patch clubs come from, a movie?
Have a read of the book ''The original wild ones''
no i dont... just saying its a very big influence on todays motorcycling culture
Old 16-02-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
no i dont... just saying its a very big influence on todays motorcycling culture

Fare do's but dont think patch clubs should be giving credit to the film,more the other way round
Old 16-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Apparently I'm banned from ever joining the Goldwing owners club.
You say that like it's a bad thing
Old 16-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Fare do's but dont think patch clubs should be giving credit to the film,more the other way round
maybe so... but its also films like that which spark an interest for some to want to go join patch clubs...
But lets face it.. Easyrider is by far the better film
Old 16-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

The most sought after bike clothing after the war was the american pilots leather jacket, fur lined and warm, just after the war there was no money for the ordinary people, we had a bloody great big 'them and us' the rich people treated the poor people like dogs, factory managers used workers like slaves and everything was rationed, even clothes, you couldn't afford to buy anything new unless you saved a few pence every week, most workers were lucky to earn 3 a week and that would go on surviving, in the late 50s factory workers and bus conductors wages had climbed to 5 per week and the immigrants started flooding in from the west indies, the towns were full of tramps and beggers sleeping on benches and starving. By 1959 things started to look up and in the sixties when 'live now pay later' came on the scene some people could afford to buy motorbikes, Bomber jackets still had the same hard to get appeal along with leather gauntlets, some people wore helmets. All the bomber jackets that I saw were second hand and people made a living painting the backs of them with pictures of pin ups and various other things they thought looked cool, skulls and crossbones were easy to draw so they were most common. There wern't too many bikes in Britain because we couldn't afford them, most new bikes were located in the cities and the folks in the country where the wages were low used old 1930s bikes that they kept going themselves, Saturday morning pictures for 6d or two and a half pence and evening cinema for 1/- or 5p gave us all the ideas we needed, the heroes often turned up on a motorbike with a thick warm leather jacket. The 59 club was the only M/C club that I knew, but I kept away because I didn't like the idea of having to say prayers, I never had a leather jacket because I simply couldnt afford to buy one.

John
Old 16-02-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. But as is often the case,"Life imitates art far more than art imitates Life.".
The initial rise of the outlaw bike club and it's notorious public reputation owes very little to Brando's simpering cunt-struck character, but owes a lot more to Barney Peterson, the humble San Francisco Chronicle photographer who got a hastily staged pic in Life magazine, horrified the nation, and mesmerised a lot of American youth, and in my opinion, set a ball rolling that hasn't stopped yet, and never will.
Old 16-02-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. But as is often the case,"Life imitates art far more than art imitates Life.".
The initial rise of the outlaw bike club and it's notorious public reputation owes very little to Brando's simpering cunt-struck character, but owes a lot more to Barney Peterson, the humble San Francisco Chronicle photographer who got a hastily staged pic in Life magazine, horrified the nation, and mesmerised a lot of American youth, and in my opinion, set a ball rolling that hasn't stopped yet, and never will.
Any time i hear of the Brando look off that film now i cannot help thinking of Krytons piss take on Red Dwarf
Old 17-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Absolutely. But as is often the case,[I]"Life imitates art far more than art imitates Life.
Very true...

Just look at the early star trek series and the now obsolete mobile phones, and the later series and bluetooth.

Human beings are gods...

John
Old 17-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Quote:
that'll be that original with the lederhosen on the front page then?

BF
Old 17-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Borg

Old 22-02-2010, 05:01 PM
Need to Get out More!

Old 22-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Borg

Since 'Sons Of Anarchy' all these 'fashion' MC crap things have started to appear. Its no longer a 'biker' thing or a 'rocker thing' its now a fashion thing.

There was pink T Shirts in Matalan a few months ago with a very close likeness to the HA logo. In the teen section.

The knock on affect is the real MC clubs then get more protective over their patches and what was once just a painted thing on the back of a jacket enters a more, and in some cases, a real serious, area.

Now I know most ppl here would know what to paint and what not to paint, well you'd hope so. But mister R.U.B. or B.A.B. from the 70s or 80s wouldn't know anything about todays clubs, and the affects they could bring upon themselves.

These sort of jackets I see and directed to the B.A.B.. They walk into the local bikers pub feeling all 'cool' and the next thing there on the way to ICU and theres a ruck going on in the pub. More bad shit. So the MC clubs clamp down harder on this 'back of jacket' thing...and so it goes on.

In the mean time its the 'bikers' that get the shit and have to put up with the knock on affect. ...
Old 22-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post
There was pink T Shirts in Matalan a few months ago with a very close likeness to the HA logo. ..
Oh, there's been a very recent one way worse than that!
Old 22-02-2010, 09:17 PM

Look at the patch bullying from a different angle.
It isn't always the "Well it looks a tiny bit like ours, from a distance, if you squint, and you forgot your glasses, and it's raining" school of thought.
Patch clubs fight over territory. Always will. And it's not over the 'highly lucrative drug market' as the media tell you time and time again.
It often starts over little things (Disregarding the American history of most club grievances for a minute). When every town had a backpatch club back in the early seventies, and they were generally made up of 18/19yr old heavy rockers, suppose a kid in, a boozer, from one club, has an argument and a bit of a punch-up with a youth from another club, over a tart. The kid cant tell his mates he was made to look a twat and got knocked to fuck and cried, so tells his lads he was ratpacked. So the aggrieved club get together and go and find the first club, and have a big ruck about it. The original antagonists owe em one back then, so get tooled up with chains and dusters, and have it out again. This'll carry on till beyond the two original members who fell out, are long left and forgotten, and the newer members just know that their club, hate that club. It's an inherited prejudice, and soon becomes unquestioned and ingrained. It just is.
Times change, meat cleavers and guns replace the chains, someone gets badly hurt or killed, then the dislike escalates into sheer, blind, 'destroy on sight', hate. Now the insignificant original schoolyard punch-up doesn't matter anyway, cos 'they ambushed one of ours', 'that other lot jumped in with them when we chased em out that pub' so on and so forth.
So now Club-A cant ride in Club-B's area, or they're having it, cos they fucking hate each other with a passion.
New clubs start, and from the off they're on one or other side of the fence, more often that not for geographical reasons. Whoever's clubhouse is nearest so they've visited on the odd open night, they're gonna ask for permission to fly colours, even if they've been trett like shit at open nights, cos they dont wanna get chased every time they leave the house. So when this new club's out and about, and they get seen on 'the wrong side of the tracks', they're getting a good hiding for being cheeky fuckers and riding about in one area, wearing 'Support The Other Lot' regalia.
So back to the point in question. When three buddies don their back patch look-a-like gear, and go plodding off down the Queen's Highway together,safe in the knowledge that it's technically not a three piece back patch, "cos look, that bit touches that bit at the corner, and it doesn't say 'MC', that's an upside-down 'W', and a 'G'...", then they're gonna get em pulled off. Cos we dont wanna be forever hacking down the road and doing Dukes Of Hazzard screeching u-turns to chase down an apparently new club who shouldn't be here, cos "we never sanctioned that patch, so they must be with them other wankers" to hear, "Oh i can indeed understand your confusion, but look, it actually says BLS/Triumph/Lone Biker/Silent Skulls/I'm A Wanker Who's Playing Dress Up But Dont Like Being Smacked In The Gob About It."
It's bally downright inconvenient, and a whole lot easier if everybody appears to be, what they actually are, and then nobody needs to be Columbo to decide whether or not to knock em up in the air.
Old 22-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

Here endeth the lesson.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 22-02-2010, 09:55 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
It's bally downright inconvenient, and a whole lot easier if everybody appears to be, what they actually are, and then nobody needs to be Columbo to decide whether or not to knock em up in the air.
Like it. Usual no nonsense from Taff, if only peeps would just get on with being who they are, rather than than playing at what they think they should or want to be.
One question remains - if they've been treet like shit on an open night why bother going back, or why pursue seeking permission. Personally I'd think fuck em its too much hassle and why would I wish to keep in with peeps who trett me like that. Sure there's always other places who are happy to take my money...
Old 22-02-2010, 10:35 PM

Well sometimes smaller clubs attend open nights through a sense of obligation, or through being told they need to put in an appearance, or wear support gear in order to continue to exist as a club.
The possibility that the host club may ignore them all night, take the piss, or stand with their arms folded giving em Paddington Hard Stares all night can sometimes be a cross they have to bear to continue to exist.
We all know it aint big, and it aint clever, but in some areas it's a cross that must be borne i'm afraid.
Old 23-02-2010, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

I still prefer my plain leathers and ride anywhere I want to.

I still raise a hand to other bikers, patch or not.

John