100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 14-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Chat Virgin

Default leading link forks

right im building me third trike and goin for a l/link front end again , last time i used the specs alik gave when he was building the sierra trike in the mag, but no longer have that mag, all i need to know is where does the wheel spindle go in relation to a line through the centre of the head stock, when both points are marked on the garage floor, can any one help here please , and yes i now have a n other garage so cant even use the old marks if they still exist !!.
many thanks
Old 15-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Chatter Box

In order to achieve a castor angle the wheel must touch the floor behind point of intersecrion with the head bearing centre line

The same applies to all front suspension arrangements

Also see...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle...cycle_geometry
Old 15-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Chat Virgin

Thanks mate thats a start , just need a measurement to work with now (if thats not being to demanding), the maths on wikipedia were a bit beyond me im afraid ,
a long shot here but dont suppose any one has a copy of that mag laying around bo they ? ? ? ?
Old 15-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Chat Virgin

Right been doin a bit of research meself here and as im using a cbx 750fe steering head with standard rake which i think is 27 deg and the trail is 93mm , and goin by a web page called "jp7 trike design" which sugeests starting with 2" trail and adjust as you feel is required for the riders and trikes requirements which makes a 2.5" trail sound like a good starting point to me , unless anyone else has any ideas or advice,
Old 15-01-2010, 08:23 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

I know I have that mag in the cuppord somewhere but soonest I'd be able to find the bugger would be sunday night, unless someone knows the number, it takes an age to find the right tech article, even that one which was particuarly useful. I could measure up the set on my bmw on sunday if that helps. Not a clue who made them but the sidecar outfits good for 90mph one handed, fully laden on a roads wot has bends in them so I recon they must be somwhere near right. As I recall the front wheel spindle ended up 4 inches foreward of the normal position for the bike and the set up uses standard yokes.
Old 16-01-2010, 03:45 PM
Chatter Box

Default I'm building some leading links as well.

To set the front wheel position, I'm going to put the yokes in the frame, then eyeball a point on the floor whilst looking down through the steering stem (using a laser would be a good idea). The front tyre contact point should be directly behind that point (this is called TRAIL), by whatever measurement you choose (2" sounds like a good start).

Cheers, Big Mick.
Old 19-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmosse View Post
I know I have that mag in the cuppord somewhere but soonest I'd be able to find the bugger would be sunday night, unless someone knows the number, it takes an age to find the right tech article, even that one which was particuarly useful. I could measure up the set on my bmw on sunday if that helps. Not a clue who made them but the sidecar outfits good for 90mph one handed, fully laden on a roads wot has bends in them so I recon they must be somwhere near right. As I recall the front wheel spindle ended up 4 inches foreward of the normal position for the bike and the set up uses standard yokes.
http://www.100-biker.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5419

Issue 47 perhaps?

It's all so much easier if you pay a lttle attention...
Old 21-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Chat Virgin

That one may do the job blackjack but I dont think its the one I meant which came later, when alik was building the sierra engined trike, but thanks anyway ,
Old 23-01-2010, 11:46 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagandave View Post
That one may do the job blackjack but I dont think its the one I meant which came later, when alik was building the sierra engined trike, but thanks anyway ,
Don't mention it. I was having a gentle dig a Matthew for not having noticed/mentioned Pat's sterling work on indexing the articles.

Someone with a set of mags might be inclined to up date it a little...