100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 19-12-2009, 11:31 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony
Default jaguar axles/IRS etc anyone now owt about them

due to recent hassles etc trying to get sierra setups, I have given in and Im going to go down the route of heavy but cheap Jag unit

looked at photos of the one I might be buying, but Im puzzled, how the hell and where the hell does the upper wishbone mount?

just want to know if it actually has mounting places for one on the hubs/carriers

failing that are the hubs bolted into the carriers so I could just build my own hub carriers to suit my application?

the axle I am looking at is XJ6 unit

what stops the hubs just flopping outwards, surely the shafts and CV joints dont do that, so what does?

Im not really a car person LOL

Old 20-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Quote:
Originally Posted by

what stops the hubs just flopping outwards, surely the shafts and CV joints dont do that

[IMG
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i262/tony-devon/xjs.jpg[/IMG]
oh yes they do
Old 20-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Chat Slut

Default irs

check http;//www.susprog.com/sustype.htm and dont forget that they have a radius arm from hub to chassis set at a line marked at 9ft from dif on centreline then draw a line to centreline from hub mounts and make the arms to follow that line as long or short as you want them but you do need the radius arms on a jag axle
Old 20-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Chatter Box

There are a couple of things you need to know about the jag rear end.

First up the one you have is the UGLY one. These have the grotty bottom arms and outboard disk brakes. It looks more like an XJ40 unit. The one you want is the early XJ6 as per the picture below...

This is it as installed in its stock cage.

You need to strip it out of the cage then you get this..

(the box section bolted to the top was the kind of thing you need to fabricate to fit it to your project)

The are used on XJs, KJ6 and XK12 up to 1996

The bottom arm acts as a hinge allowing the suspension to swing up and down. The drive shaft acts as the top arm controlling the camber.

You can narrow the whole assembly by shortening the drive shaft and bottom arm by the same amount.

If you want the same as this but with outboard disk brakes go for post-94 XJS of DB7 that uses the same axles (yes they do break them). The parts list is here http://www.astonmartin.com/content/a...04480b5b02.pdf

Also here is a complete parts list for Jaguar spares relevant to this axle. Page 49&50 shows an exploded view. http://www.anglodesign.be/images_ap/Jaguar_XJ_cat.pdf

Also check out this on Jag suspension...

http://www.jagweb.com/aj6eng/suspension.php

If you need any more info let me know.
Old 20-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by madron View Post
check http;//www.susprog.com/sustype.htm and dont forget that they have a radius arm from hub to chassis set at a line marked at 9ft from dif on centreline then draw a line to centreline from hub mounts and make the arms to follow that line as long or short as you want them but you do need the radius arms on a jag axle
On the rear end above you won't need radius arms if the diff is supported top and bottom, especialy on a trike. The arms are strong enough to support the loads.

for more pics of custom mods check out..

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/...ion/index.html

Last edited by 4_stroke; 20-12-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 20-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

wow, thanks for all the info

ok will go look what else he has

was thinking of going with Jag diff, home built cage and wishbones

what about if I use sierra hubs with kitcar style uprights etc,

cant imagine how the rear end would look with no top wishbone, just wrong in my opinion

this way I can buy the diff locally, about 50-65 for a decent jag diff, and buy the sierra bits postal through ebay etc

only bummer would be buying 2 sets of driveshafts to cut and shut to make 1 pair

oh why is nothing ever simple LOL
Old 20-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Chatter Box

I would keep with 100% jag bits, you realy need to know what you are doing to get it to work otherwise, it is quite unique, and if its cleaned up well it can look good. The hub carriers are aluminium and polish up a treat.

You don't need the 4 coil-overs for a trike. Just keep one each side and cut off the brackets for the other two.

If you want to go down this route and have any questions let me know. I have some experience with this axle.
Old 20-12-2009, 07:06 PM

ok thanks for that, I suppose that the only good thing is that I only have to make 2 wishbones, not 4

plan on rosejointing it all to give me some adjustability, and also the opportunity to iron out any creases that might occur during the build, so reduced costs again by needing less joints

just cant quite get the vision into my head of it having no upper wishbones?

will work out shock mounting and positioning to suit whatever pair of shocks I get hold of

build is to be very compact and minimal so it will all be fully exposed

similar lines and shape to the budgestinis trike that was in 100% with the most sexiest model that they have ever shot ...oops sorry went a bit off track there LOL
Old 20-12-2009, 07:26 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon-tony View Post
ok thanks for that, I suppose that the only good thing is that I only have to make 2 wishbones, not 4

plan on rosejointing it all to give me some adjustability, and also the opportunity to iron out any creases that might occur during the build, so reduced costs again by needing less joints

just cant quite get the vision into my head of it having no upper wishbones?

will work out shock mounting and positioning to suit whatever pair of shocks I get hold of

build is to be very compact and minimal so it will all be fully exposed

similar lines and shape to the budgestinis trike that was in 100% with the most sexiest model that they have ever shot ...oops sorry went a bit off track there LOL

The best bet is to duplicate the fixing of the bottom wishbone. No real need to rose joints but you can do it if you want to go for looks, you will understand when you see it in bits. The bottom wishbone MUST bave a high torsional stiffness, which the standard one is a single large diameter tube. You can delete one set of shocks, no problem. You MUST use universal joints for the drive shafts. CV jounts will not work.
Old 20-12-2009, 07:40 PM

yes I now appreciate the UJ as they are control the camber etc

only reason I was going to use UJ on the sierra ones would be to run jag diff, sierra/jag shafts, with custom wishbones/uprights and sierra hubs

no problems shortening them, done them before, just been looking through a few mags and the trikes in there with jag back ends have top and bottom wishbones, not sure what they have done to achieve this, maybe modified the hub carrier

wishbones would be ladder / A frame to get maximum strength and stiffness

think I might just hold out for a month or so and try to get a sierra back end, but near on impossible round here
Old 20-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon-tony View Post
just been looking through a few mags and the trikes in there with jag back ends have top and bottom wishbones, not sure what they have done to achieve this, maybe modified the hub carrier
One thing you can do is to aluminium weld lugs onto the top of the hub carrier to take a top wishbone single point fixing. You would then need to have a sliding UJ as the top arm controls the camber. That would take torsional loads off of the bottom arms.
Old 20-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4_stroke View Post
If you want to go down this route and have any questions let me know. I have some experience with this axle.
Is the crown wheel reversible ? Just wondering about different bikes with different prop rotations
Old 22-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by richh View Post
Is the crown wheel reversible ? Just wondering about different bikes with different prop rotations
Never come accross this as I am only used to car applications. You could flip it upside down but you would have to fabricate new lower wishbone mounts