100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 07-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Jedi Chat Master

1-0 to me I think. Its a start of sorts anyway.

Lazy afternoon in sunshine with nitromorse n sander, etc. Up town tomorrow so I`ll try grab some petseal/resin n start slapping on acres of filler in evenings, etc. Also ground the hell out of the fuel tap boss with flap disc on grinder. Seems pretty flush now, but might put a smear of petrol putty stuff around it anyway to be sure.

Me bars got started today. Woohoo. Not that Im excited of course..........
Old 08-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Got tank flushed out this afteroon n monted tap up tight. Smear of fuel putty stuff all over boss too after bolting on just in case doesnt seal tight. Looked pretty flush tho. Had to spend real money on that stuff so Im up to £165 so far.

Gonna mask off vents/filer, etc tomorrow n get some primer on then start slapping on the filler n see how I get on.

Got flames on seat unit finished this afternoon too n added on the skulls in amongst the flames. I`ll chip away at rest in between worky stuff.

Some lumps of billet secured from gixerjon`s stash for Yan to make my drag extentions for swingarm out of. Just right size and me favourite price (free). Be on the way to Yan once theyre up here, n he can selotape em onto B12 swingarm he`s got. Oh and underbrace of some sort.

Between the swingarm n billet bars polished up Im not gona know what to fondle first in me shed.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Tank coated in primer showed up the dents. Only needed the slightest hint of filler. lol.

Get the feeling it`ll take several applications n sanding back before tank looks like................... a tank. Doh.

Got nother chunk of seat artwork done today, but long way off yet.

Only getting the odd hour at it here n there so taking a whiley.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

did you leave the lid off yer blender?
Old 15-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Got airbrushing on seat unit finished today thank god. Seems to have taken forever cos only doing wee bitty here n there in between worky stuff.

I`ll get it clear coated tomorrow along with some comission stuff:-

Pretty full-on theme same as rest tho:-

Not done much to tank really. Couple doses of filler n sander. Still rough as fook, but starting to come around into a tank shape. Bit more work filling/reshaping the curves n should be there:-

At least bottoms all rust free n sealed up along with tap:-

Old 18-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Been polishing the seat unit plastics up tonight as been sanding em back last couple evenings. Flexible as hell so having to be carefull and supporting it as sand/rub.

Pitch black ere so get some proper pics tomorrow hopefully n get seat unit back together over weekend n start working out numberplate mechanism.

Mates handling the leccy side of things (lots of mention of switching relays and limiter switches, etc, lol) so as system doesn’t current drain in either position and works seamlessly with ignition on/off which`ll be slick.

For now tho with the flash on a sneak peek:-

With flash off cant get decent pics till daylight but yer can see how shiny it is:-

Please excuse sweaty hairy moobs in last picky, but Id sweated thru 2 t-shirts then gave up and carried on tarzan style. Hard work hand polishing to that shine.

Proper pics tomorrow hopefully n assembled pics over weekend.
Old 19-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Chat Slut

Default hi mate

doint matter how meny times i see this bike ...its still fantastic

top job jon keep up the good work
so when ive got to the stage i want to be with mine ill be in touch
Old 19-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Daylight pics .............took a few. Doh!

Be getting seat unit back together on bike over weekend so grab a pic of it mounted up.

Old 19-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Old 19-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Jedi Chat Master

My mate Rob ordered up a cheap 5 wire central locking motor off egay to make numberplate setup out of. Couldnt get suitable model from scrap car anywhere so got a new one for £3-4 delivered which is cool. Even cooler cos Rob said not to bother paying him but to buy him a pint at next rally. Sweet! Cheers bud.

He`s gonna figure out the leccy setup for automatic function and no current drain in either position, etc. Sorta wee side project for him at work in between building torpedos n stuff (seriously!). Once get the leccy side figured out n have stroke length, etc to work from can make mechanical hinges/plates, etc to mount it all.
Old 20-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Leccy guys had power shut off today as replacing 50 year old wooden power poles, so perfect time to get out to shed n get seat unit on.

Dont look too bad methinks:-

Old 20-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Yup pretty happy with that. Grab handle infil panels worked out nicely n overall everything looks quite smooth.

Not decided on where indicator brackets are going yet as yer can see, but only a wee job for another day.
Old 21-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Finally figured out how to get a photo off me phone n onto pc. lol.

Pic I took when originally went to see/buy the bandit just to show yer the state I found it in. First pics in thread are when I got it home n roughly placed bits on to check all there.

Sexy....................lol.
Old 21-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Chat Slut

Superb.
Loving the rear light.
Old 23-02-2010, 04:55 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Not a shitload to report really as busy with worky comission paintwork so times limited.

Routed out some tiny alloy offcuts out of my scrap pile n made a small bracket up for rear indicators on undertray. Made it as minimal as possible and hid wiring, etc. Tucked indicators as far in as possible so not too fugly. lol.

Looking at it number plate is gonna need its own nightlight for illumination anyway so decided to make use of original number plate light, and hide indicator mountings at same time. Cue another random alloy offcut, sprayed up. Should make folk scratch theyre heads when parked up and actual number plate folded up out of sight. Muwahahahaha.

Still shaping up tank ere too. Fookin mess. Filled n sanded it several times trying to get curve shapes right. Had to gently massage it with hammer too. Getting somewhere near right overall shape now tho. Nother bit of filler n sanding to perfect the shapes should see it in black paint by weekend.......fingers crossed.

Old 24-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Jedi Chat Master

absolutely brilliant, and a pleasure to follow the build.......

thanks.
kajir
Old 27-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Got tank sprayed black today along with my bottom oil cooler bracket, and top oil cooler. All looking nice n shiny. Tanks got couple of tiny undulations in 0.5mm range, but built black up nice n thick to allow me to sand these last flaws out before airbrushing starts.

I`ll stick a photo of it up tomorrow once hardened up. Also planning on getting oil coolers and brackets mounted up tomorrow once dry, so some pics to follow once theyre on.

Bittta surprise today tho. Got rest of gixer jons blade bits through post to paint up like tank, n loadsa goodies in box too. His boss is nice n generous with offcuts. lol. Should come in handy when start to link all the turbo bits n bobs up:-

Carbon fibre weave hose n some blue alloy end fittings:-

Some pre-made pitot tube to carb pipework in blue with fittings:-

Roll of blue tubing n big bag of assorted t-peices n end fittings:-

And a roll of stainless flexible hosing jon calls borg-hose. Might be handy for finishing off any wires/pipes, etc as looks funky:-

Old 27-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Jedi Chat Master

result.... all i get from my mates is rusty stuff.....tho there's usually vodka involved somewhere along the line
keep up the excellent work, a joy to follow
kajir
Old 27-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Self opinionated twat

Send a message via Yahoo to hacky

after all that work the back light is still my favourite...lol
Old 28-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Just been out and mounted the oil coolers up.

B6 cooler repainted n rubber mounted to original fixings. Pipes cut down to connect new oil lines to, to utilise original cooler fittings:-

5mm steel bar bracket for bottom oil cooler mounted to frame bolts so soild! Support bar down to bottom with rubber mounting (bit of random old tank rubber out of a box). :-

Gixer cooler again repainted bolted up:-

Nice short hose runs and plenty wheel/cooler clearance and clearance for downpipes coming out in middle of coolers:-

Enough space for log manifold horizontal tube to pass across in front of engine. Measurements say loads of tyre clearance, even with fork movement. Compact, but plenty clearance. Any probs can always drop forks back through yoke anyway. :-

I`ll buy another piece of bar down village hardware shop (condemmed wooden shack) next time down as ran out. Want to make up the bars which will bolt to cam-cap bolts like below on either side. :-

Old 28-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Continued.........

One will hold sideways mounted intercooler with scoop to catch airflow. Can get that bracketed up n mounted somepoint soon. Other side will bolt onto a bracket made out of some thick 4-5mm stainless plate I scavenged out of skip:-

which will be welded to log manifold at RHS where turbo will bolt on, thereby supporting its weight and taking weight off exhaust headers and avoiding stress cracks down the line like lotta turbo setups. Well that’s my plan anyway. Lol.

Also scavenged out of skip piece of stainless sheet which looks plenty big enough to make 2 oil cooler covers out of. :-

Not sure how yet as don’t have any mesh for airflow, n thought of drilling hundreds of little holes doesn’t appeal. Lol. Thinking maybe I can make up a steel clamp on jig as a guide n use grinder to slice a series of horizontal lines for airflow. I`ll give it some thought.

In meantime Ive finally got the tank whipped into shape:-

Bit of a difference and as good underneath now too. Taken fair dose of work, but rescued it from scrap pile. Lol. Few 0.5mm undulations to sand out but built up black base paint seriously thick to allow flatting back n removing any slight flaws before start airbrushing it in between commission work.

Fuel caps also sprayed up as planning on airbrushing it up like did with the fireblade furian paintwork I did recently, for a smooth n flowing unbroken look:-

Old 28-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Had a rough workout of costs for sump/oil cooiler adapters and 90 degree fittings, and hose and clips. Seems Im looking at £50 inc P&P give or take couple quid. Bit more than thought but needing 4 adaptors and 4 90 degree fittings which aint cheap.

Still using motorsport plated steel fittings instead of fancy alloy multi-coloured ones n braided hose is waaaay cheaper. None of it on show anyway, n £50 is lot more favourable than £300-400.
Old 28-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Started measuring up for stainless guards for coolers n thought again. Gonna restrict airflow majorly, whether drill hundreds of holes or cut slots. Dont want my cooling compromised with tubby setup, and be a bastard to achieve a nice finish on guards with basic tools.

Dont look bad in black paint really, just me being picky.

Noticed some old minimoto fairings hanging on garage rafters:-

Quick unbolt of 2 halves n attack with grinder to a rough shape n makes a nice little cover/scoop:-

Quite liking the shape as need something to fill the void in between bottom cooler n front wheel. Looking back at original doodle of what Im after Im needing that bellypan/scoop in there:-

Was thinking of joining the 2 sides with sheet to form a bellypan, but to be honest Im liking just the 2 seperate halves. Kinda funky looking n reminds me of the little teeth scoops on bottom of old Katana nose fairings. lol. Dunno why, but does.

Have to imagine em painted up of course.

Got another minimoto bellypan on roof of garage I could really cut down as side covers for top oil cooler to match. Would render oil coolers nigh on invisable once side scoops go on to cover turbo n intercooler, etc. Dunno, just playing about with scrap n seeing what comes to mind. lol.
Old 28-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

That's a bit of ingenious thinking, Harris.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 01-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quiet afternoon ere. Bit of bodywork repair, then well it was sunny outside and I wasn’t gonna sit watching filler n epoxy dry, so went out to garage in afternoon. Lol.

Popped down village `hardware` store to find they had no metal bar of any description, and no M12 fine thread bolts to bolt it to cam caps on engine even if they had any. DOH! One of the disadvantages of living somewhere remote is it’s a twat getting simple shit. Even if made the 90 mile round trip up to the `big city` Id probably still get neither. Lol.

Nosied in metal skip in recycling yard on way back to see if could scavenge some bar, but no luck there neither. Did pick up a rather fetching rusty fireguard tho which I thought would be a nice mesh donor:-

Got back to garage n did my usual wombling about tryna find bit of thick bar, but to no avail. Loadsa thin stuff suitable for other side, but nowt thick enough to trust holding weight of turbo on RHS of engine. Then I spied the original exhaust hanger bracket that came with bike. 5mm laser cut stainless plate n tough as fook. Ideal! One holes needs enlarged n another drilled n that’s it. Other 2 holes spot on for turbo support bracket:-

Gixerjons tryna find me some fine thread M12 bolts n post em up n can get it bolted on n intercooler mounted, etc.

In meantime tho……….

Chopped that scrap stainless sheet to size with grinder, rounded off corners, cut out some holes in centre for airflow with grinder, smoothed off edges with,,,,,,,,, you guessed it flap disc on grinder. Lol. Folded edges to shape with bit of wood n hammer. Cut some mesh out n had something resembling cooler covers if squinted hard enough, lol :-

Sprayed the mesh black, gave the stainless bits a rub back with brillo pad to remove years of weathering n rust/general smeg. Quick polish n fixed covers on:-

Not gonna win any prizes, but tidy enough and were free. Not gonna be really seen once side scoops on anyway but neaten things up a bit. Most importantly tho it stops my oil coolers getting battered with stones off the road. All the minor roads up here they don’t tarmac, they just drive along with a big truck dropping stones n a spray coating, n then leave the traffic to squash it down into a road surface. Seriously! Some protection against small stones on road is a must up ere.

Gone off bellypan scoops at mo. Might just polish up ends of cooler covers instead. Get a better idea of general cosmetics as more bits go on.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Jedi Chat Master

My ISP`s been down for last few days so not been able to update. Seems ok now tho, so heres what Ive been up to.

Quick junk raid n came across this granny plastic toolbox with couple of cracks n missing lid. :-

Attacked it with jigsaw n grinder, then made a bracket up out of some of the stainless sheet offcuts out of the centre holes of the oil cooler covers I made, n should make a suitable scoop for directing airflow through side mounted intercooler:-

Gonna be hidden behind airbrushed up bodywork scoops anyway, but not good enuf excuse to leave it looking shite. Ground rest of un-needed brackets off intercooler end casings, made a hanger bracket for securing to side of engine out of some chunky alloy angle bar off a greenhouse I skip scavenged. Lol. Wee offcut of fireguard mesh of course too. Gave the scoop a quick few coats of some metalflake blue I had n mounted it all up, etc. Not gonna be seen anyway, but might as well leave it reasonably neat anyway:-

Also made start on tank artwork. Got flames/skulls one so far. I`ll get wee bits of bio-mech background stuff in between worky stuff n chip away at it:-

Gave the bike a name I felt was fitting given the initial condition n dead nature of it when got it. Lol. :-

Being a highly religious area up here n the whole Sunday Sabbath crap, it might even endear me to the locals in a religious manner…………………………………….or maybe not. Lol. Think doing things on a Sunday n driving a hearse has stopped that happening forever. Muwuhahahahaha!

That’s about it really. Couldn’t find suitable bolts for cam cap holes on head, so Gixerjon is kindly drilling out middle of bolts n tapping them for some M8 bolts which`ll gimmie something to bolt to.

Me mate Rob has finished making up controller box, etc for flip-up number plate servo. In post on way to me. We opted to wire it to a bar mounted switch to flip it up, for show use (so don’t get done for non-displaying when parked in town), with the flipping to down position being done automatically with ignition going on so cant forget to lower it n drive off. That`ll be thru in few days so can start making the mechanical mechanism.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Piccy of riser block being made by my mate gixerjon. Not finished yet, but looking good.

Bottom hole for short section of 22mm 7/8th bar to go into original top yoke clamps. Top hole to clamp the big ass 40-ish mm diameter, 36" wide straight billet alloy fat bars!........ with spikey ends.

Piccy of cam-cap bolts drilled n tapped with M8 bolts again by gixerjon. Gives me a solid mount on cylinder head to start mounting intercooler n turbo support bar.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Got the turbo clocked this afternoon after spraying. For those that don’t know, basically loosening off the 3 separate parts of the turbo unit (exhaust turbine, bearing housing, and compressor turbine), and rotating each unit in relation to each other to get the input/outlet pipes, etc facing the way you want them to be once turbo bolted onto bike for easier pipework routing.

Garrett T25 Im using is pretty handy in that all 3 sections can be rotated freely of one another making life easier setting pipe directions up, etc.

Sure its an easyish job with right tools, but getting the big thick 6” round steel circlip out of its groove with pair of longnose pliers was a twat of a job. Getting it back in was even worse. Lol. Set of mole grips on each plier handle to get enough leverage while leaning my body on a screwdriver trying to get it back into groove. Great fun.

And don’t even get me started on the exhaust housing. 2 bits of press fit cast iron n years of heat n water. Fookin nightmare loosening that off. Hey ho enuf of me moaning, got it done after few hours bashed knuckles n sweating/swearing.

Exhaust inlet from log manifold at right angles to oil inlet, and oil drain straight downwards at 90 degrees. Rotated compressor housing too so turbo air outlet is at matching angle to exhaust inlet for crossing back across frame to intercooler on other side of cylinder head.

Of course its all different to original setup in its SAAB car install so bracket to hold wastegate actuator on compressor housing now doesn’t line up with wastegate arm on exhaust turbine housing. Bout 180 degrees out. Didn’t fancy stripping whole turbo down n drilling n tapping alloy housing to bolt it back on in new position.

Got it vice-gripped in position n marked for now. When get welding gear I`ll add onto the original steel bracket n extend it across to the big threaded boss on the exhaust housing which`ll hold it solid.

Then I can get it all cleaned up n original water inlet/outlet holes blocked off cos wont be using them obviously, just oil cooling.

Twat of a job without right tools, but all done now n out of way. Phew.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Not a lot done today. Too busy with worky stuff to get any chance to get more of tank done as yet.

Decided to have a quick go at making up that wastegate actuator bracket. Was gonna leave it till got welding gear, but was itching to get it out of way n reckoned could make it bolt together. Not like had to be pretty as never gonna be seen anyway as turbo gonna be shoruded.

As I say not pretty, but solid 5 x 35 mm structural steel. Nice press fit too. Whacked it about with hammer n not gonna go anywhere. Actuator gets full straight stroke no probs.

Had to take a weird route to clear turbo oil drain, etc. :-

Soild, if not pretty. I`l slap some black paint on it n scrub up the turbo, etc next few days. Quick scrub over to get rid of worst of dirt/rust/oil. Nowt special as not gonna be on show anyway.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Have been doing something, honest! Just too busy with commission work to put any real time to it, so been doing odd ½ hour here n there in evenings, etc.

Found a tattoo image online which I liked look of so used that for inspiration for main tank centrepeice n expanding off that randomly same as rest of bodywork. Gonna take a while as you can imagine. LOT of hours gone in already n dozens more to go probably. Just as well I enjoy it. Lol.

Sorta rat fink, ed roth centre monster feeding back into bio-mech, etc. Still just at initial sketch stage as you can see. Lots n lots of work to finish of other side n start building up colours n multiple layers of detailing, etc same as rest. Gonna look smart tho I reckon!