100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 04-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Default The BBC should make a Top Gear for Bikes! (facebook group)

with some comments from me...

Is it a good idea? Would bikers get together to support any serious effort?

Or would we just all argue about the content?

Free the binary 10
Old 04-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

The latter.

As long as that cretin Berry wasn't involved I'd watch it though...
Old 04-10-2009, 06:22 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid View Post
The latter.

As long as that cretin Berry wasn't involved I'd watch it though...
Now thats the problem.

No decent presenters out there. Even car programs struggle when you see the crap that is pitched against Top Gear.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

I think it's a great idea, and if we all argue about the content so what, that will just make it controversial.

I would like to see some of the older bikes reviewed, if fact all the older bikes.

John
Old 04-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Chatter Box

I think it would appeal to a lot of people, they should give it a shot on something like BBC3 or some other channel? and see how it goes from there, i know that's how a few popular shows have been launched and built up popularity, and even if it is not too poular it's bount to get more viewers than half the programs they show.

Ken
Old 04-10-2009, 08:07 PM

Hammond and May would do a perfectly good job, IMHO.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:39 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

I will watch such a programme as long as Steve Berry is not allowed anywhere near it.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 04-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Chat Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid View Post
Hammond and May would do a perfectly good job, IMHO.
Wonder if Suzi Perry would be available, too? Also, what about the young lady who presented a show about celebrities & their bikes?
Old 05-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pils1969 View Post
Wonder if Suzi Perry would be available, too? Also, what about the young lady who presented a show about celebrities & their bikes?
What about Jo Brand or any other good looking bird?

John
Old 05-10-2009, 02:02 AM
Chat Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
What about Jo Brand or any other good looking bird?

John
Or even trying to get Maureen from driving school through her CBT. Now that would make good TV
Old 05-10-2009, 06:29 AM

What if someone else made it? What if someone had a good idea for a pilot program? Would you all support it?

Free the binary 10
Old 05-10-2009, 07:24 AM

nah, it would be w@nk, every fecking week it would be 'this weeks latest fastest bestest sports bike', or 'shiney harley tat', and thats the lot. it would end up fronted by some smiley faced pretty boys and girls who never rode a bike before, and would be as fecking dull as ditchwater. lots of video clips of some dingbat riding a 200mph sports bike at 20mph behind an estate car, and then doing a messy overtake, and ad-nauseum clips of some inexperienced would be tv star constantly circulating roundabouts trying to get their knees down. no shots of speed or fun or any kind of excess. and everyone who ever presented it would be constantly trying to be as outspoken or obnoxious as clarkson just to try and make a name for themselves. it would be a total and utter crock. and i cant see who would watch it except for the weekend shiney leather boys and the teenaged spotty wannabees.

http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Old 05-10-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro View Post
What if someone else made it? What if someone had a good idea for a pilot program? Would you all support it?
that would be a no!

Old 05-10-2009, 07:52 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

It would have to cover everything from show bikes to twist and go's to gain a wide audience.It would also need a celeb' to host it unfortunately.I think something along the lines of pimp my ride for bikes mixed with 5th gear could be kind of cool.IMO.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:33 AM

I have no doubt that the idea has been pitched before.
But instead of a group why don't someone give it a go and sort a pitch out
Old 05-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Chatter Box

Got to agree with John R, a deffinate NO. It would be total shit and the 100% style biker would'nt get a look in .
Bad enough having MCN on sale without putting the fuckers on tele!

Dean
Old 05-10-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I have no doubt that the idea has been pitched before.
But instead of a group why don't someone give it a go and sort a pitch out
Someone is....

Free the binary 10
Old 06-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Nik

Quote:
Someone is....
Hope you've got serious backing and bloody good insurance ...

Me and Veg looked into doing summat like this and found the costs prohibitive ... majorly prohibitive.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Someone is....
I wouldn't mind a chat about pitching for TV progs in general.
Not this one just something i am working on but struggling to understand the process.
All details of the progs need not be spoke about of course,simply the process.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:16 AM

I posted this elsewhere, I'm pushing this really hard now, and getting a bit fed up with repeating myself.

Quote:
We are going to keep our format close to our chest for the moment, but we do realise that we have to appeal across the board.

The hardest part is getting past the negativity of most bikers, a lot would rather just dismiss the idea rather than supporting it, just because it might not be to their liking. FTW, isnt that our attitude? Then lets get behind someone who wants to get off their arse and try, not slag off the attempt!
Bikers are notorious for not working together to a common cause, basically we are all loners, just for once why dont we say, "It might not be what I want to see, but if it promotes biking and bikers lets do it!"

Free the binary 10
Old 06-10-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDMAX View Post
Got to agree with John R, a deffinate NO. It would be total shit and the 100% style biker would'nt get a look in .
Bad enough having MCN on sale without putting the fuckers on tele!

Dean
How do you know it will be shit? And as for 100% style bikers, have you seen our website?

What is this with bikers dismissing it out of hand without even trying, no wonder we are persecuted, we are such easy targets, because we even dont get out there and try.

Think on this, motorcycle programs are getting more popular, even if they are not the type that you like, they are getting air time, the more that do; the more likely it is that one will get made that you like.

Dont dismiss it out of hand without finding out more about it.

Free the binary 10
Old 06-10-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
Hope you've got serious backing and bloody good insurance ...

Me and Veg looked into doing summat like this and found the costs prohibitive ... majorly prohibitive.
Bank robbery is looking good.....

Free the binary 10
Old 06-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly Deluxe View Post
It would also need a celeb' to host it unfortunately.
I don't think it would.

If it was popular the presenter would become a celeb.

Saw something on Men And Motors last night, showed the Brighton seafront meet and a bit of the Ace Cafe.

Could expand on that and show other biker meets, Rallies, The Ponderosa, The Oasis, and many others, Talk to bikers about their machines, show a few rideouts, get the love of biking transmitted to the public, show people that they don't have to spend sixteen grand to enjoy the country. Certainly enough to fill a series without even needing to show a single new bike or even do a road test.

You could even show some overweight bikers and call it Whales on a motorbike.

John
Old 06-10-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I posted this elsewhere, I'm pushing this really hard now, and getting a bit fed up with repeating myself.
sorry mate, i dont know you , so dont take this too personally. but if you want to do it, then go ahead and do it. if it works, then yahoo for you and if it falls on its arse, then we were right. you seem to be almost seeking approval from us lot and then moaning when you dont get it. if this is your latest idea to get rich and famous, then i see no reason why you should expect us all to start blowing bubbles up your arse before you go and do it. personally i think its doomed to fail, you obviously personally feel that its your ticket to stardom and worldwide glamour, so what next? you want it, then go and do it. dont ask questions of folk if you are only then going to get all upset when they dont all jump up and go 'yay pyro, what a star, i wish id thought of that' tv is awash with the top gear format at the mo, and its tbh getting dull dull dull, whether its cars, gadgets or even ski sunday. as has been said, all you need is the wedge. or were you planning to ask for donations?

Old 06-10-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr View Post
sorry mate, i dont know you , so dont take this too personally. but if you want to do it, then go ahead and do it. if it works, then yahoo for you and if it falls on its arse, then we were right. you seem to be almost seeking approval from us lot and then moaning when you dont get it. if this is your latest idea to get rich and famous, then i see no reason why you should expect us all to start blowing bubbles up your arse before you go and do it. personally i think its doomed to fail, you obviously personally feel that its your ticket to stardom and worldwide glamour, so what next? you want it, then go and do it. dont ask questions of folk if you are only then going to get all upset when they dont all jump up and go 'yay pyro, what a star, i wish id thought of that' tv is awash with the top gear format at the mo, and its tbh getting dull dull dull, whether its cars, gadgets or even ski sunday. as has been said, all you need is the wedge. or were you planning to ask for donations?
Hmm I see where that impression could be gleaned from, we are going for it anyway, but it would be silly not to talk to our target audience, this is not the only forum we have 'invaded', I'm asking for opinion on what you want to see, what do you think should be shown? I'm not moaning I'm trying to put my case across, should I just let it drop because a few people dont think it will work?

The amount of support for a biker lifestyle program is there, its just annoying that a few people, without even knowing what we intend to do have declared it will be rubbish.

Quote:
Totally pointless in my mind
Quote:
No mainstream TV station is going to make a program of any sort for bikers!
Quote:
My reply elsewhere on the net...

Quote:
To be successful you have to appeal to the majority, this is a fact of life, make a program too niche and you are fucked.
But that does not mean there will be nothing for 'alternative' bikers, its about getting in the back door and then expanding your horizons. There is no point in making a pilot aimed at say, the riders of RAT bikes, that would have be of very limited appeal, it will be popular with the genre but very few other people will be interested, but if you make a general program and slip in a section on rat bikes....
We have to look at this from the point that we want to get in and start making these programs, once in we can do what we want, but we have to get support for all points of the biking compass. Just because some people dont like the initial format does not mean we should not be supported.

When I ask for comments, I meant in general, not "I wont like it cos it will be shit!" We want people to tell us what they
want to see, if enough people say Cossacks and Urals, then thats what we will do. Otherwise we go with what ever we think will appeal. The number of people on various forums (and in emails) that keep saying "it will be shit, like al the others" are not making useful comments, why were they shit? What did they do wrong? Where could it be changed?

Yet saying that, we are getting a hell of a lot of other people saying "Go for it, you cant be any worse than the others!"
and thats the point, we dont wan to be like the others, they failed, but we cant do it without some input and support from you lot, the guys that get out there and ride.
You think we are making a mistake? Fine but tell us why?
Just saves me repeating myself.

It not about being rich and famous (google my name 'jake willis' I've had my share of that) its about putting together something to not only show the lifestyle we live, but also produce a platform for bikers ot have their say. The media is a powerful tool, while there is some interest in bikes on the screen we should use it to get our selves noticed more.

Free the binary 10
Old 06-10-2009, 04:24 PM

Trouble with posting stuff like this on here is that, despite most of us dressing the same, having similar hairstyles (those of us with hair), riding similar machines and sometimes talking and writing as if we'd got some sort of American inspired language impediment, we're all rugged individualists.....

So we've all got our own opinions. Which are occasionally confused with fact.

For any prog like the one Pyro is proposing, 90% of the audience will be dreamers anyway.
Same as Top Gear when they test Ferraris.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:01 PM
Chat Pimp

Ok heres what I would like to see a program about bikes /scooters/mopeds/trikes road tests maybe a lifestyle bit covering everything from mopeds upwards and rallies, ride outs, custom shows,scooter rallies,bike rallies, off roadin , kickstart type trails.
bikers stories the journeys people have done and the ones you wish you could afford to do .talks with people, groups, like extreme trifle bunch. bascily anything and everything to do with 2 wheels and what goes on around them painters,platers,custom parts one off builders,veteran bikes .things that work things that are shite .

does that help?

Willie
Old 06-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Complete and utter git

I think the points about it being sports-bike / manufacturer promo biased are very pertinent - is it possible to avoid the implications of the modern media ?

actually I ain't got a telly so don't care a fig anyways

Old 06-10-2009, 10:43 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

FWIW heres my two pennorth.

If its a magazine show, then the TV execs will dismiss it immediately on the grounds they can do that themselves.

They aren't interested in something until its fully formed, and theres an internal TV mafia that will always try to put down anything new.

I submitted several TV plays in the late 90s on biker themes to TV companies - the response was usually the same - that they didn't see an audience for it.
When I modified my ideas to make a 70s period piece (I pitched it to them just after Heartbeat stopped and just before Life on Mars started) I was told there was no market for 70s nostalgia.
TV types have no imagination. They either want it from someone they know already, or complete so they don't have to do any work.

I know what I'd do - I'd go the Charlie Boorman route at first, and make myself into a personality - personalities are what magazine televison is all about.
Make a series of thirty minute documentaries about pizza delivery drivers or scooter runs or something.

Think about a show like Trawlermen. Couldn't you do the same thing about despatch riders?

The other option, and its one I've been considering for a while, if only I could find a translator, would be to find some Welsh speaking biker personalities and make it for welsh language TV, piggybacking with an english version. S4C is awash with cash, and gagging for originality...

http://atmviheo.blogspot.com/
Old 07-10-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird View Post
FWIW heres my two pennorth.

If its a magazine show, then the TV execs will dismiss it immediately on the grounds they can do that themselves.

They aren't interested in something until its fully formed, and theres an internal TV mafia that will always try to put down anything new.

I submitted several TV plays in the late 90s on biker themes to TV companies - the response was usually the same - that they didn't see an audience for it.
When I modified my ideas to make a 70s period piece (I pitched it to them just after Heartbeat stopped and just before Life on Mars started) I was told there was no market for 70s nostalgia.
TV types have no imagination. They either want it from someone they know already, or complete so they don't have to do any work.

I know what I'd do - I'd go the Charlie Boorman route at first, and make myself into a personality - personalities are what magazine televison is all about.
Make a series of thirty minute documentaries about pizza delivery drivers or scooter runs or something.

Think about a show like Trawlermen. Couldn't you do the same thing about despatch riders?

The other option, and its one I've been considering for a while, if only I could find a translator, would be to find some Welsh speaking biker personalities and make it for welsh language TV, piggybacking with an english version. S4C is awash with cash, and gagging for originality...
Things have changed now, bikes and bikers are more popular, we are getting some good feedback at present (that will last until Jamie farts in a meeting..LOL)

Despatch riders, I cant even make a short vid about despatch riders, the companies wont talk to you, the riders dont want to talk to you, the companies are nearly all dodgy as fuck (I was in the industry for 15 years) the riders will slag off the companies but not on camera.
The companies will not talk to anyone.

Oh the shit I know about several despatch companies, but its all without concrete proof.

Free the binary 10