100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 03-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

There are still a number of places that have bunkhouse accomodation with prices around the £15 mark for a nights sleep. Breakfast is usually about the £5 - £6 extra but there is nothing to stop you from riding to the nearest Tesco type supermarket for breakfast if you want to save a few bob.

If I get time next year I am going to try to compile a list of all the places and prices and late night booking times so that riders can afford to hit the open road.

What does this have to do with rallies and men dressing as women? Absolutely nothing! But it give you an alternative and if you are anything like me you want to ride somewhere new and see what is along the next road every day!

John
Old 12-07-2009, 11:19 PM
Chat Virgin

Default Be Warned !!!!!

Scene 1
SOME WHERE …NEAR HERE !!!!

Picture this , the period is circa 2021..the NEW WORLD ORDER has deemed it illegal to possess or use ANY vehicle other than the designated government controlled issue , personal transport has been eradicated , following the introduction of the SCRAPPAGE system introduced some ten years ago..public transport consists of a myriad of compact ten seater mini vans, driven by robotic drivers , guided by SAT NAV and GPS and restricted by TACHO METERS….the high cost of fuel eliminates any chance of free thinking individuals
partaking in a FUN RIDE OUT..!! The only other transport available are the STRETCHED LIMOS used by the BUREAUCRATIC FAT CATS ..and the A.R.V.s used by the RIOT POLICE and the ENFORCMENT OFFICERS….

Scene 2
SOME WHERE ELSE

In a dim lit corner of a disused warehouse…three stalwarts of a bygone era huddle round what can only be described as a
METALLIC MONSTER !! their oil stained hands gently caress
The EBONY BLACK paintwork, the MOULDED PEANUT TANK,
and the PAN SEAT ,grafted from a sheet of alloy chequer plate… and the engine, found in an abandoned JUNK EMPORIUM.polished to the extent ,that it glowed in the dark…
and all around were posters and faded magazines like
EASY RIDER.. .A.W.O.L. BRIT CHOPPER…B.S.H.. and TRIKE..
depicting a lifestyle , scorned by some …but enjoyed by many !!!! in a time when FREEDOM ! meant what it said…..
The trio carefully filled the tank from a container , of hi octane fuel , collected one drip at a time from the fuel filler hose in the highly secured transport depot where “JAKE” worked….
“JAKE” would be tonight’s nominated driver, and as he donned his leather waistcoat, with the logo RIDE FREE stencilled on the back , pulled on his fingerless gloves and tied his long flowing hair back with a faded confederate bandanna..he looked every inch the “LAST REBEL” his bros
wheeled the MONSTER with its 1340 cc V twin HARLEY DAVIDSON power plant out into the dark alley and waited !
A full moon lit the night sky as “JAKE” gave a half prod on the kickstart to prime her , and a with a hefty kick ,she started .
The monster roared into life as he wound the throttle up to full bore, then snapped it shut to listen to the B’DUM B’DUM of the tickover, reminding him of a MOTHER’S HEARTBEAT !!
Not a word was spoken as “JAKE” nodded, clicked the shift into first and roared of into the night..the bros listened as he wound it up,,into second..wound it on ..into third…the V twin was peaking revs as notched it up into top….then they heard it
A bang like an explosion …they saw a flash like lightning and heard the scream of tortured metal grinding on asphalt…..
And they knew………

Scene 3

At a road block on the other side of town….

as the ten heavily armed ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS returned to their A.R.V. “ JAKE” lay in a pool of his own blood…mingled with hot engine oil from the now silent monster…his right hand still clutched the wide open throttle..his left hand raised in a one finger salute…his broken body riddled with gunshot..and on his face a bemused smile…..as the officer reached over to deliver the COUP DE GRACE…with his favourite 9mm Luger, he smiled !! and

I HEARD THE BASTARD SAY

“ DON’T YOU KNOW THAT MOTOR BIKES ARE DANGEROUS” !!

R.I.P the “LAST REBEL”

Adapted from an original article in EASY RIDER
From the late 70s…….denoting the coming 1984…

Dedicated to LOST BROS…..

RIDE FREE !!

RICCO PERI
April 09..

IF YOU LET THEM CONTROL YOUR ACTIONS....
ONE DAY THEY WILL CONTROL YOUR MIND..

CHECK US OUT AT http://www.skyewheelnuts.co.uk/
Old 13-07-2009, 07:12 AM
Chat Pimp

There are younger riders in my area, but practically all of them ride scooters or sports bikes. In my experience sports bikers have little interest in the biker lifestyle and no intention of attending rallies. The only place that attracts them is the Bulldog.
When I got into bikes in the late 70's, it was connected to rock music. There were always bikers at gigs and it was seen as a natural thing to get a bike. And bikes were relatively cheap then?
In 2009 bikes are seen as toys, with a minority using them as everyday transport. If bikes were banned tomorrow, most owners would just buy another toy (not suggesting that this is anyone on this forum!) We are an easy target and yes we should be standing up for ourselves, but as mentioned previously, just look how few bikers are MAG members. I still meet bikers who have never heard of MAG!
Old 13-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

I have felt for so long now that as a way of life, we are going to get screwed. Pagan Flame has hit the nail on the head. He said so ten years ago. He's reminding us we aint changed one bit.
If I was a kid these days attending a rally, I would probably do it once. What have I got in common with a bunch of near pensioners who, like Taff said, wear womens clothes and ridiculous hats, and listen to nothing but outdated blues and bad rock covers bands. Rock? No, not in their eyes. Its rather like us listening to Elvis et al, rock n roll of old. We know it existed but as good as it was, its old hat now. The Bulldog is still the best party going for its variety of music and I'm taking my lad there this year for his first. Its something he's wanted to do for years. He's trying to become dyed in the wool biker type but with his eye on one of them little motors with a dustbin sized exhaust and stick on tribal decals. I fear he'll end up like so many other youngsters because its the easier and cheaper option in the long run. I reckon licencing has been the biggest crippler to new blood coming through, certainly since its introduction but its only one of many problems.
ACC Holland and his cronies have grabbed the baton and have jumped on the bandwagon like foreign police forces have and picked on our way of life as a means to justify their existance. Speed cameras and policing of football grounds get the revenue, but the filth have nothing real to do. Aggro at demos and riots are non existant in this country now so they need to vent their power elsewhere. We are the easy option. We are not a criminal organisation but because we can keep our mouths shut and stick up for ourselves and our mates and live our lives the way we want, we're seen as outsiders. They dont like that. Strange thing is though, they're just as bad, worse even. But whose going to sort out the police in a police state?

Taff, you and I and just about all the others on here are from the same era. Patchoulie oil and shredded black jeans worn over ripped ones, looking for all the world like a yeti, long hair, black tees and hobnailed boots. Real pubs, ride outs with your mates to Skeggy for a bag of chips and the craic of doing it, weekends in a field making your own entertainment, loose girlies who spread it around quite happily coz they loved to be seen with bad boys. If you had a car it was properly customised. Cherry bomb exhausts and sidewinders. Dash boards full of dials or just ripped out for that well hard look. Chain link steering wheel. Jacked suspension with jag axle and wide wheels on the back. Bonnet scoops. Bucket seats. No air filter for that wicked sucking sound. My first bike cost me £207 otr, Garelli tiger cross. Got bored with that and spent £7 on a second hand Honda. (CB250G5). Didnt usually bother with tax, mot or insurance. In fact, never had a bike licence til 1990....wasnt that important. Thanks for the memories.

Griff.
Now late for work.
Old 13-07-2009, 09:45 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Just had a quick look on ebay, while youngsters is being looked at

Vauxhall corsa 1998 £700

Yam TZR 125 1997( ropey) £1220

As foir the Music , youngsters etc, look at the rock n roll scene, now that aint introducing modern music, go to rockers reunion its bloody heaving,
ive said it before the kids that like rock will go to download, sonisphere, bloodstock because they want the music and everything else on site,fun fair,comedy tent,etc etc stuff to keep em busy does anyone really think that if they change the music the same kids will turn up n pay a tenner to sit in a field at the back of the pub with almost sod all on all day until the evening
Old 13-07-2009, 10:44 AM

And just seen this

Being a gang member will be a criminal offence under new legislation which could be on the way in Bermuda.

Premier Ewart Brown today announced Government is hoping to introduce a raft of new laws after revealing children as young as 12 are involved in gangs across the Island.

The Premier cited new ‘anti-Bikie Gang’ legislation in Australia, which Cabinet has been considering implementing in Bermuda.

Dr. Brown said under that law, the Commissioner of Police uses tactics which intentionally disrupt the rhythm of gangs, and judges are allowed to ban gangs from various activities.

He was speaking in a House of Assembly debate on his own motion: that Bermuda takes deliberate action to address its gang problems.
Old 13-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Banned

So normal Gangs are being targeted using Bikie legislation ........ more to do with the drug gangs in that area nothing to do with bikers. But create a stick big enough and use it to beat ALL your enemies. I noticed the strong word "Will" in the opening statement was soon deflated by the word "Could" in the same sentence.
Old 13-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Chat Virgin

Few of us been having this discussion lately and Taff summed up why all of us started riding bikes.

we all started late 70's early 80's and much preferred it when there were fewer folk on bikes and before it became an acceptable hobby for the odd sunny weekend, quicker these folk go back to sailing and golf the better!

suppose we would be called lifestyle bikers, got a club, runs, parties, go to rallies, work on our bikes etc, and i think there will remain a core of bikers like this who dont care about the mainstream, cant imagine life without a bike and enjoy the lifestyle.

here in Scotland the rally scene is pretty good, was at Alba West the other week, cracking rally, and only seems to be real bikers that you see at them.
not to much dressing up but quite a few silly hats. each to their own i suppose but every now and then you feel like saying have a bit o self respect.

Old 13-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
Just had a quick look on ebay, while youngsters is being looked at

Vauxhall corsa 1998 £700

Yam TZR 125 1997( ropey) £1220
Now pretend yer 17 and go look for insurance...

After the Top Gear of a couple of weeks ago (story re: cars for 17 year-olds - see the first item in ---> HERE <--- if you missed it) I went onto an insurance comparison site to see how much to insure my driving school car ('09 Fiesta TDCi) if I was 17 years old, just passed my test, Third Party Only...

... = £5400 cheapest quote. I got to 8 grand by the bottom of the first screen of quotes.

PUNCHLINE: So it's not just cost, now is it?

Firedance Roadshow - www.firedance.biz
Old 14-07-2009, 07:11 AM

And most of them go via mum and dad insurance route who are happy to do that if it means they aint getting a bike

My mates lad recently turned 17, all he wanted was a bike ( he also has been riding trials since 12), now he's been on a couple of rallies with us, comes up our club house, and has a good laugh etc, but he is rare these days changing the music aint going to get them out of citroen saxo's and off to rallies.

We should worry about protecting what we have got now
Old 14-07-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
changing the music aint going to get them out of citroen saxo's and off to rallies.

We should worry about protecting what we have got now

Totally agree.

Judging by the number of people wandering around or sitting outside their tents supping, music isn't that important to regular rally goers.
Old 14-07-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid View Post

Judging by the number of people wandering around or sitting outside their tents supping, music isn't that important to regular rally goers.
Totally agree.
Got sick of countless hours of debating who we should book and who was available.
I always go for the crack and the meeting of people.
The music could be a rock disco for all i care,background.
After all once there are a few beers on board i have seen folk bouncing around and having fun to all sorts of music.
Old 14-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

I think the point about music at rallies is that it tends to be the same old, same old shite being played badly by pensioners. There is no variation and that's the problem. Some clubs have realised this and are booking bands who play a variety of old and modern stuff and even something a bit different. Play 70s grandad rock by all means but throw some modern stuff in too instead of repeating the same old junk over and over ad nauseum.

I'm with Huw in that it should be law, indeed compulsory, that any band playing Mustang Sally should be bottled off stage!
Old 14-07-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I think the point about music at rallies is that it tends to be the same old, same old shite being played badly by pensioners. There is no variation and that's the problem. Some clubs have realised this and are booking bands who play a variety of old and modern stuff and even something a bit different. Play 70s grandad rock by all means but throw some modern stuff in too instead of repeating the same old junk over and over ad nauseum.

I'm with Huw in that it should be law, indeed compulsory, that any band playing Mustang Sally should be bottled off stage!
Trouble is that when you do try something a bit different then you get the moans from the people that buy the tickets.
You have to look to who the people are coming to the rallies and pay their cash on the gate,or pre book if your lucky.
Its fine to say try something new but if it don't work then that could be a big hit on the budget,poss enough to ensure the event is not there the next year.
I agree that times need to move on but also you have to give people what they like not what you think they should like.
Suppose times will tell
Old 14-07-2009, 12:31 PM

Ok I know it cant be done at all rallies, but at Alba West a few weeks back, every band was top of their game, had punk, rock etc plus the scottish celtic bands who really where different and got everyone going
ska, rockabilly, punk seems to go down just as well at do's this year, anyone seen ''steamin on stella, great party band,
Old 14-07-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
changing the music aint going to get them out of citroen saxo's and off to rallies.
Exactly. Let's take the music out of the equation then.

So - now what's left at your average rally to appeal to a 17 year old?

Firedance Roadshow - www.firedance.biz
Old 14-07-2009, 08:05 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

Having a bloody good laugh with their mates at a venue where none of them are going to get beaten up for looking at someones bird funny..

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 15-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Chat Pimp

I have arranged to meet a bloke from the Shadow owners club at Rock and Blues. Found out today that him and his mate are 19! And riding real bikes! F**k me, I was 19 only 28 years ago! Good job my mental age is lower than my chronological one!
Old 15-07-2009, 02:30 PM

More bullshit about bikers becoming a dying breed. When I was 18 there were very few bikers. Now it seems everyone and his dog get trikes and then go to rallies and hey presto we have to keep all that crap and because they are under threat by the authorities that there will be no more bikers. We have always been under threat from the authorities for what we do and have done. I for one couldn't give a crap if the younger ones don't want to be bikers, cos then the minority that do will be stronger for it themselves
Old 15-07-2009, 04:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to krammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtailbiker View Post
More bullshit about bikers becoming a dying breed. When I was 18 there were very few bikers. Now it seems everyone and his dog get trikes and then go to rallies and hey presto we have to keep all that crap and because they are under threat by the authorities that there will be no more bikers. We have always been under threat from the authorities for what we do and have done. I for one couldn't give a crap if the younger ones don't want to be bikers, cos then the minority that do will be stronger for it themselves

Sound's about right that.

Old 15-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid View Post
Totally agree.

So if it isn't important, you won't mind some Val Doonican, the Carpenters and Perry Como then?
Old 15-07-2009, 08:46 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
So if it isn't important, you won't mind some Val Doonican, the Carpenters and Perry Como then?
no, not at all. it'd make a nice change.
Old 15-07-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtailbiker View Post
You're either 130 years old or been living on a desert island. I have been riding since '64 and have never known a time where there were hardly any bikers! I spent my early years in London, which might be one reason but then moved to Northampton. But I do agree that there is a lot of scaremongering but some of it (like Scandinavia's zero accident policy) is very real indeed and you should be scared of the GREEN money waggon. We, as a whole, are not GREEN. We ride for fun, our bikes gobble as much fuel as a family saloon and we have lots of accidents. It doesn't matter that we wear the roads less, take less space while moving and parked and don't do 0mpg in traffic jams. Bikers, like blacks are targets that are obvious, you only have to look to see a black face in a crowd or to see a biker on the road. Cage driving beurocrats can never understand the sheer joy we get from riding, the freedom and exhileration that comes from riding to the limit, or just pootling along to the shops. They can't understand and therefore don't care, but they should be made to. MAG ran a campaign called 'Bikers are Voters' and I always include this quote when I write to abuse my MP (well, ask questions and make them work , which is a form of abuse).

Have fun, but riding free disappeared a long time ago.
Old 16-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Why are we in this situation, did Mag n the BMF not get enough support to fight legislation?

The last real protest I remember was for leg protectors when piccadilly was brought to a standstill!
In answer to your question... MAG (and the BMF) has a lot of people paying 'lip-service' to membership, just stumping up the cash and not actually getting off their arses to do anything about the crap that is descending (sadly, this had been encouraged for a long time by folk within MAG, who used their influence - not the Chair, I might add - to the detriment of the organisation). So in a way, no, they didn't get enough support.

Anyone remember the last big demo? - it was in Brussels against the 3rd Driving Licence Directive only a few years ago - most folk weren't there so they don't remember it (there was a big contingent from Yorkshire and one or two from the South East, that was it as far as the UK was concerned, which is a bit pathetic IMHO ).

That is evident by the new restrictions on young people getting a bike on the road. That directive has now been gold-plated by our Government (quel surprise), hence the people being injured taking their test (one way of making sure someone never rides a bike again is the total embarrassment of having fallen off and/or breaking something during your test). Do people not see the connection?

Someone I know stopped riding because he went out on the road after doing his CBT. He didn't have the confidence to ride out so when some twat in a car run him off the road, he didn't ride his bike ever again. It ended up being almost given away after spending 3 years rusting away.

So unless this sad state of affairs changes, we are on our way out.

Last edited by Corum; 16-07-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 16-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corum View Post
In answer to your question... MAG (and the BMF) has a lot of people paying 'lip-service' to membership, just stumping up the cash and not actually getting off their arses to do anything about the crap that is descending (sadly, this had been encouraged for a long time by folk within MAG, who used their influence - not the Chair, I might add - to the detriment of the organisation). So in a way, no, they didn't get enough support.

Anyone remember the last big demo? - it was in Brussels against the 3rd Driving Licence Directive only a few years ago - most folk weren't there so they don't remember it (there was a big contingent from Yorkshire and one or two from the South East, that was it as far as the UK was concerned, which is a bit pathetic IMHO ).

That is evident by the new restrictions on young people getting a bike on the road. That directive has now been gold-plated by our Government (quel surprise), hence the people being injured taking their test (one way of making sure someone never rides a bike again is the total embarrassment of having fallen off and/or breaking something during your test). Do people not see the connection?

Someone I know stopped riding because he went out on the road after doing his CBT. He didn't have the confidence to ride out so when some twat in a car run him off the road, he didn't ride his bike ever again. It ended up being almost given away after spending 3 years rusting away.

So unless this sad state of affairs changes, we are on our way out.
After reading that all i got was ...

Bleat bleat bleat blah blah blah

None of what you wrote makes any sense at all.

Are you saying you want stricter test because someone you knew couldn't ride after his training.

I never heard of no Brussels demo, so maybe publicising it could have been a good idea ehh.

Re-read whet you wrote its gibberish IMHO.

(popcorn anyone?)

Last edited by shaggy696969; 16-07-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 16-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy696969 View Post
I never heard of no Brussels demo, so maybe publicising it could have been a good idea ehh.
Erm... you're a bit slow if you didn't notice the demo in Brussels... However, it was in 2005 so if you've got short term memory loss or something...

http://www.100-biker.co.uk/forums/sh...light=brussels

Most of it does make sense if you could be arsed to read it Shaggy .

The bit about the person I know is probably not necessary to the point I was making... just a point that the rest of the world couldn't give a fûck about bikers anyway. ah well.
Old 16-07-2009, 11:43 AM
Chat Slapper

Does anyone know if CBT instructors are regularly assessed in any way?

In my opinion if someone is conducting a CBT and at the end the rider isn't confident on the road then they should be asking them to come back for a second day. I know the person who did my CBT said he does that fairly regularly. Yes it costs him money as he doesn't charge them any extra but he's a proper biker who wants to see more people on the road.

The person you mentioned who wasn't confident after his CBT should complain to the DSA about the instructor who performed his CBT and that instructor should be looked at/assessed/potentially lose his ability to perform CBTs.

The only other sensible way I can see things working is for all CBTs to be conducted by a government agency but I think we all know what would happen then (over priced, badly administered etc...)

Personally I agree with a strict test as it does no one any good when people can take a 2 day course and then go out and buy an R1 and kill themselves. I don't think the bike test needs to be easier to match the car test, I think the car test needs to be made harder to match the bike test!
Old 16-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corum View Post
Erm... you're a bit slow if you didn't notice the demo in Brussels... However, it was in 2005 so if you've got short term memory loss or something...

http://www.100-biker.co.uk/forums/sh...light=brussels

Most of it does make sense if you could be arsed to read it Shaggy .

The bit about the person I know is probably not necessary to the point I was making... just a point that the rest of the world couldn't give a fûck about bikers anyway. ah well.
Get a fucking grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
MAG PRESS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE.
Issued 20th September 2005
European Licence Demo
The Motorcycle Action Group and the British Motorcyclists Federation are co-operating with Motor Cycle News in the organisation of a protest gathering and ride in Brussels on Saturday 1st October in response to the EU proposals on motorcycle licensing.
So it gave less than 2 weeks to organise a trip to Brussels, is that top Mag organisation or what.

Short term memory loss, 4 fucking years ago a badly organised/publicised event and I don't remember it well fuck me what a mistake I made !

I've read it over and over and it still makes no sense. But to be honest its another example of where pious attitudes put people off !

Mag should stop giving their membership lip-service to quote you and concentrate on doing some good for a change.
Old 16-07-2009, 12:25 PM

Sir Ewok, I am only 46, but obviously had a lot less friends than yourself in the olden days. London may well have been "full to the brim with bikers" probably due to the ace cafe, but us lot out in the sticks were few and far between.

what will really stop us being able to get out on two wheels is more to do with having no petrol any more or being too expensive or rationed. There will still be people in the future who have that "free spirit" which will prevail no matter the obstacles put in the way
Old 16-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *TQ* View Post
Does anyone know if CBT instructors are regularly assessed in any way?
Yes they are. When I was dong it I was assessed every 6 months and had to renew my CBT Instructors ticket every three years.

Quote:
In my opinion if someone is conducting a CBT and at the end the rider isn't confident on the road then they should be asking them to come back for a second day.
A lot of instructors will do this, It's more common than most people think.

Quote:
The person you mentioned who wasn't confident after his CBT should complain to the DSA about the instructor who performed his CBT and that instructor should be looked at/assessed/potentially lose his ability to perform CBTs.
On the other hand, the person might have been confident when they took their CBT yet encountered a situation they didn't have on their Ride out with their instructor and bottled it. It happens to everyone at some point.

Quote:
The only other sensible way I can see things working is for all CBTs to be conducted by a government agency but I think we all know what would happen then (over priced, badly administered etc...)
Totally impractical and a sure fire way to give the Government the necessary ammunition to ban us all off the rod permanently.

Quote:
Personally I agree with a strict test as it does no one any good when people can take a 2 day course and then go out and buy an R1 and kill themselves. I don't think the bike test needs to be easier to match the car test, I think the car test needs to be made harder to match the bike test!
The test was fine up to the latest EU Directive that Stalin Brown ratified without a second thought and spent millions of taxpayers pounds on building new facilities.

If they had put the new off road elements into the CBT as opposed to the final practical test , they would have saved millions of pounds and the CBT would be the best form of training anywhere in the world.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "