100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 25-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
PF, my point is that if we dont start doing something now there will be no scene for you ones, there are a few yougsters, but the we need new blood thing has been going been going round the houses for years, and nothing has changed, we need to worry about the current threats to bikers/rallies etc

Yes and No... we only need to start doing something now because we haven't done anything to prevent the current situation; now, we're looking at damage limitation, not preventative measures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav View Post
And Creature, can't leave the old feller out can we.
Well, since his own website sez he didn't start DJing until 2003, probably Yes...

Firedance Roadshow - www.firedance.biz
Old 25-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Chatter Box

Send a message via AIM to Gregg1100
Default Bikers are soon to become an endangered species

In my case, its the cost of spares that will make me leave bikes alone. For the cost of two tyres for a bike, I can get 4 for the car. £18 each for carb to airbox tubes X4 = £72----before vat. Just to mention 2 items. Pissed off with the cost of bikes now. Anyone want a Z550 Ltd ??
Greg
92 Kawa GT 550 G7 Shaft ( or me shafted)
04 Kawa GPZ 500 E10
Old 26-06-2009, 12:33 AM

That is something I could never understand.
Bike tyres more expensive than cars.
Old 26-06-2009, 04:05 AM

Because as I understand it, they're virtually hand-made, due to the low volumes required.
Old 26-06-2009, 06:51 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan_flame View Post
I'm going to stake my claim here, as the first rally DJ on the scene to start playing a wide variety of music, including Nu-Metal, around 2000 - 2001, as an alternative to the usual classic-rock-only rally disco.
Quote:
...........but the reward was the young people at rallies who came up to me to say how good it was to hear something different / up to date.
Quote:
.......So - as I said ten years ago -
Quote:
I wrote a 'Last Words' piece for AWoL around the turn of the century
Quote:
.......yer average rally in 1999 had nothing either (unless me or Grav were DJing!)

... and just how were you playing Nu-Metal in the 90's? I seem to recall playing Linkin Park's 'Hybrid Theory' at a Hallowe'en party in 2000 = 1 week after it was released
Quote:
And Creature, can't leave the old feller out can we.
Quote:
Well, since his own website sez he didn't start DJing until 2003, probably Yes...
Sorry, was this thread started for you to blow your own trumpet, and anoint yourself as sole saviour of the biking scene?
Through your awesome power of music, foreboding warnings of what's about to befall on the biking scene (ten years ago we musn't forget), ignored by all but the enlightened, and incredible insight into what your people want, as they flock in droves to rallys bearing your name on the flier...???
Wind it in a bit youth, this went from an interesting thread about the biker scene, to you on your pedestal sharing the word, that You are the best biking DJ ever, to the exception and rejection from The Holy Circle, of anybody who started after you. And you alone will pull the scene out of the quagmire, using the magic of Nu-Metal... ( )

Old 26-06-2009, 09:18 AM

Not had your morning coffee yet Taff
Old 26-06-2009, 01:01 PM

Nu-metal, what's that, then. Can you dance to it (no headbanging). Bollix.....
Old 26-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Complete and utter git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
Nu-metal, what's that, then. .

polish ?

(as in make stuff shiny rather than polski)

Old 26-06-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taff View Post
you on your pedestal sharing the word, that You are the best biking DJ ever
I am not a Biker DJ.

Quote:
Sorry, was this thread started for you to blow your own trumpet, and anoint yourself as sole saviour of the biking scene?
Through your awesome power of music, foreboding warnings of what's about to befall on the biking scene (ten years ago we musn't forget), ignored by all but the enlightened, and incredible insight into what your people want, as they flock in droves to rallys bearing your name on the flier...???
Not me - as I said, 10 years ago - it's you chaps who were the first to bring biker events up to date, but the Bulldog Bash is still the exception. They are still flocking in droves to the rally bearing your name on the flyer, however.

Quote:
Wind it in a bit youth
I'm 43 years old. If the Youth of Biking is now 43 years old, it's definitely too late.

Old 26-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
Nu-metal, what's that, then. Can you dance to it (no headbanging). Bollix.....
Nu Metal is like old metal but with lots more overdubbing and yes, you can dance to Nu Metal cos it's reeeeaaally good.....

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 26-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Chat Pimp

I'm just wondering if this thread is the same one I started on Tuesday !!!!

some people have come up with some reasons for the lack of new blood coming into biking
The prices for licences, lessons, insurance, tests and restrictions even the cost of bike gear I can understand
but I don't for one minute think that youngsters stay away from biking because we listen to old rock music,
I ride with some “new generation” bikers and they don't seem to care what music is playing at rallies they still enjoy themselves (when they get do bored of the rock music most of them listen to their I pod's )

Gaining a licence....if a 17 year old from a well to do family can pass a theory test and take his car practical test.......then he has his licence.
He can legally jump into Daddies golf gt tdi 6 speed 190 bhp
Why then can't a young lad who wants to ride a bike take his theory test and one practical test and ride any class of motorcycle that he chooses without restriction

For may years the biking community have moaned about new legislation brought in against bikers but they, Mag and the Bmf have not managed to stop the new legislation being brought in.

So to start to save our way of life why don't we petition the government to bring the way the car licence is gained into line with the way the motorcycle licence is gained, if they refuse to do this (which they will) then we can all claim we are minority being victimised by the government.

The cheapest and fairest way they could rectify this injustice is to make the motorcycle licence as easy to gain as the car licence.

This is just a thought but wouldn't it be worth a try?
Imagine if we won.
The only way is for ALL of us to join in

I know my views are not the same as others and some of you may want to shoot me down in flames
well go ahead, any better ideas would be most welcomed
Old 26-06-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tellys View Post
[I]

So to start to save our way of life why don't we petition the government to bring the way the car licence is gained into line with the way the motorcycle licence is gained, if they refuse to do this (which they will) then we can all claim we are minority being victimised by the government.

I have been advocating more stringent requirements on the car test for years, mate. Every other category of Driving/Riding test is seriously stringent in it's requirements. It is only the car test that hasn't changed for ages. It needs upgrading, it needs some form of compulsory basic training and above all it needs to include more about being courteous to other road users.

Old 26-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tellys View Post
[B][I]
Gaining a licence....if a 17 year old from a well to do family can pass a theory test and take his car practical test.......then he has his licence.
It's not quite that easy.

First the theory test includes a hazard perception test that, because there are less hazards for a car is much harder than the bike Hazard test. (you can click on anything in the bike test because everything is a hazard). If you fail the theory test you have to rebook and take both tests again if you fail the hazard test you have to rebook and try again and it is very easy to fail.

Then the practical test but first you have to produce your paperwork, then if the tester decides your car isn't good enough he can refuse to take the test. Then you have questions about how to check the oil, washer water, coolant, brake fluid, handbrake, footbrake, tyres, lights, indicators and several other things before you even get to drive. You are allowed 15 points before you fail, you can lose most of these before you even start the car.

But I think the biggest reason we dont have as many new bikers is because young people do not have the ambition to become bikers the way we used to. You can't offer a hitch-hiker a ride on your bike now because they need a helmet. Cars keep you dry. they are usually cheaper to buy than bikes. (Who would pay £2000 for a 1988 car) (and the new Vmax is £16000) you can have a naughty in the back of a car it's not easy on a bike. When I was young the girls used to line up for a ride around the block and almost any bike over 500cc was considered cool.

John
Old 27-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Jedi Chat Master

It might be a simple answer as ..........todays kids, just arnt bothered,cos it aint like what it is when i started...yer got yer moped ......then the 250 ...then it was ether a bigger bike or a car....I chose the bike ,a Z750 e...insurance £360....wage..£60,good money for a 17 yr old ,cos I worked at the pit..............
Old 27-06-2009, 09:04 AM

To my mind, way back when, when i chose this path for my life, being a biker was something to aspire to, cos it was cool, the people were cool, the scene was cool, and the whole thing was a little bit, well, scarey. Bikers in town pubs, the ones that'd let 'em in, were kept away from, walked round rather than through, and the proper biker pubs were avoided as dens of iniquity not to be entered.
Me first few rallies in the early 80's left me in awe, there were the rally chaps, beer towels and badges all over 'em, the grubby brit bikers, all rally badges and ripped jeans, and them black and yellow Triumph or Norton little arm rockers, which i wished i was bad ass enough to wear, or the proper scarey chop riders, all oily, tatty, 'orrible axe murderers.
The music never attracted me particularly, i was a dyed in the wool 'heavy rocker', which was prominent to a degree. But the main floor fillers in the rally hut if i remember rightly, was Hi Ho Silver Lining, Spirit In The Sky, and other such nonsense. And the bikers seemed to have their own special dance, a strange cross between a skinhead moonstomp and the can-can. Was all new to me, and god was it great, no 'trendys' came in, they wouldn't have dared, it wasn't the place for 'em at all, full of 'smellies' necking Newky Brown and reeking of dope and patchouli oil.
A young aspiring would-be biker now, having seen a few Sons Of Anarchy episodes, and HA You Tubes, and wanting to be in on it, will be faced with a bunch of fat bearded fucking nancy boys wearing tutus and dresses, or ridiculous hats in the shape of fluffy frogs or bananas or other such shite.
The scene aint cool no more, it seems to be a competition to look as fucking stupid as is humanly possible. I dont feel at home in these places no more, i dont wanna be there. Neither do my two brothers, both dyed in the wool bikers, neither of 'em outlaw bikers. Neither does my nephew, 22yrs old, just hitting the biker scene with his second HD, first Big Twin, 6th bike all in all.
Why dont he wanna be there, as a fledgling up and coming biker he should wanna be there?
"Cos they're full of queers and daft cunts..."
Make of it what you will, that's my take on the biking scene today, as a deliberately self-ostracised ex-rally-going, outlaw club member, and lifetime biker.
Old 27-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Need to Get out More!

and this was only 20 25yrs ago,a time you could pull up at a beach,set fire to something and get shitfaced and party all night with no helicopters n jonlaw turning up(local plod is all,,,breifly)...
somewhere since, the matrix reset something n its all gone..i wasnt aware of it for sure,juss woke up n the world had gone mad..
"full of 'smellies' necking Newky Brown and reeking of dope and patchouli oil."yep n not a kevlar jacket in sight,fullfaces were just openfaces with a bit on t front n resembled buckets..
wouldnt have missed any of it,the women,the bikes,the multiple types of herb,mushroom wine,go fast,,brilliant time to be alive...
Old 27-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Complete and utter git

i suppose the plus side of biking being difficult to get into these days is that those that do it are those that really want to do it. maybe the biking boom of the last decade or so has made it too easy for the tossers who spent their youth listening to the fucking bee gees and abba to get on two wheels, perhaps there are too many people riding bikes, could plod's crackdown weed out the hobby-riders ? maybe that ain't a bad thing

we could always slip in the odd disco track at rallys and shoot any fucker that starts dancing

Old 27-06-2009, 12:55 PM

Taff, I don't go to those rallies. But I don't go to that many anyway.

Ones I go to have fat bearded blokes, but black (in a general sense) is the colour....

You get the odd wannabe, leather just that bit too pristine, jeans/combats nicely pressed, but they soon learn or bugger off.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

There's enough youngsters at these rallies to keep the faith.

Last edited by droid; 27-06-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 27-06-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eigerton View Post
we could always slip in the odd disco track at rallys and shoot any fucker that starts dancing
Make sure you have plenty of Ammo.......

Grav
man who has witnessed what some folks will dance to......

Old 27-06-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
To my mind....
I am absolutely 100% in agreement with that.

Now - my point (though it's gone slightly askew in the banter between myself and Grav) is that - in order to attract the younger biker, we have to have something to offer them. Bulldog Bash plus other events with a few different entertainment possibilities above the usual - Well done Farmyard! That's the way to go!

The music played is secondary to a degree, but very few teenaged bikers listen to Heavy Rock recorded before 1985 exclusively, and they were still at junior school when Nu Metal was popular.

Cars - a consultation into the car test re: possible changes has just taken place, and they are very imminent with what's going to change, if anything; I'll let you know when I do (I'm a car instructor, for those of you who don't know).

Anyone interested, have a look --> HERE <--- get a beer or cup tea, you'll be there for a while... Click the menu items on the right of the page.

What they aren't going to do is restrict the new driver after the test - like they do after the bike test - that was a consultation from a couple of years back which came to nothing.

The outlaw clubs generally stay within their own venues and clubhouses, and are generally the older biker anyway, the clubhouse culture will endure as it always has - but it's the public events that need to change if we're not going to become a load of 50 somethings sitting around in a rally field in ten years time!

Last edited by pagan_flame; 27-06-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 27-06-2009, 10:07 PM

Cracking post Taff.
I recall as a 8 year old being a right pest wanting to have a "backa" from the local biker crowd in my street.
From even that age i knew i wanted to be just like them.
Now it seems that most "bikers" are only so at the weekend.
To many clubs with fair weather friends but loads of attitude.
Loved the first rallys i went to,don't bother now.
Old 27-06-2009, 10:12 PM

I must admit that a certain event in the late 70's had a huge influence on my desire to ride. The telly pictures of some gorgeous chops being wheeled from a side gate looked seriously cool to a young chap like myself and I knew from then on that I wanted to ride a bike.

Barry Sheene and Kenny Roberts did the rest, by eck those two had some great battles.

Old 27-06-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
but it's the public events that need to change if we're not going to become a load of 50 somethings sitting around in a rally field in ten years time!
Read 60 - 70 year olds
Old 01-07-2009, 02:28 AM

I grew up around bikes and bikers, proper bikers, old manked up jeans, and worn leathers, oil under their fingernails. Clean jeans and black t shirts was their idea of dressing up. (which is still the unwritten 'uniform' for most bikers. lol)
Last full weekend rally i went to was Patriot Games in 2007, i decided on the saturday night that it would be the last rally i went to, because i enjoyed that one, as there were no twats dressed as women, getting stupidly drunk, and because a majority of them were still 'respectable' bikers.
I came away from The Games feeling warm and toasty, unlike 90% of rallies i'd been to the previous few years.

There are still alot of old school Bikers out there, and an awful lot of them are on here too, and their ages vary, not all are over 40, unfortunately, they have been outnumbered by prats wanting to play dress up.

Six years ago I took my son, then 16 to a rally, he wasn't impressed, he was in awe of some bikes, but said all his perceptions of bikers had changed, and has no desire to be a part of a pantomime aftershow party.
I couldn't really argue it out with him, coz there was a pantomime cow there.!!! I find it quite embarrassing. :

Last edited by booie2; 01-07-2009 at 02:32 AM. Reason: My grammar weren't what is shoulds have been, lol
Old 01-07-2009, 11:18 AM

There is still an influx of youth into Bikes but we have become a segmented social group. Look into each group and you will see where most youth is.

The problem as I see it has always been folks wondering why the youth don't join in with us when they should be congratulating the youth for choosing to ride in the first place.

Every weekend there is something happening, be it a rally, a show or just a meet at Squires/Rivington/Devil's Bridge/etc. You will see most youth at a weekend meet or a race meeting than at a rally these days and I applaud them for getting out there and enjoying riding their bikes. That's the important bit, enjoying riding. It doesn't matter where they go, what they do when they get there or how long it takes them to get to wherever and back, as long as they are having fun that's all that matters.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:38 AM

When I started riding in the mid sixties, there were no rallies and we met at clubhouses like 'The Ace' or 'The Saltbox' or in specific places like Battersea Bridge, with the Mods collecting round the Funfair. If we went out it was a weekend run to the coast for a fight or a beer. The scene evolved into the traditional rally, tent, beer, leathers and rock. Later it became what it is today and organisers need to fill the field or sell all the tickets to make their money (and encourage the pub to host them again). I suppose it is easier to be a reactionary than a revolutionary, but if you like a different kind of rally, organise it. No Funny hats, No Men in Frocks (not even the group) and NO cars (not even for the disabled). If you can sell all your tickets, then you have a winning combination........
Old 03-07-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Barry Sheene and Kenny Roberts did the rest, by eck those two had some great battles.
Oh yes
Some classic battles
Old 03-07-2009, 12:53 PM

Got to say some of these latest posts take me back and I agree with them.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
There is still an influx of youth into Bikes but we have become a segmented social group. Look into each group and you will see where most youth is.

The problem as I see it has always been folks wondering why the youth don't join in with us when they should be congratulating the youth for choosing to ride in the first place.

Every weekend there is something happening, be it a rally, a show or just a meet at Squires/Rivington/Devil's Bridge/etc. You will see most youth at a weekend meet or a race meeting than at a rally these days and I applaud them for getting out there and enjoying riding their bikes. That's the important bit, enjoying riding. It doesn't matter where they go, what they do when they get there or how long it takes them to get to wherever and back, as long as they are having fun that's all that matters.
What age are these 'youth' of whom you speak?

To me, 'youth' is anyone under 30
Old 03-07-2009, 04:06 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Taff hit the nail on the head there!
WTF is with this dressing up thing??? i don`t get it
and i`ve stopped going to most rallies now, only seem to do HDRCGB rallies
but they do put some good do`s on, and some of the lads i ride with are hitting 60
i`ve tried to get the lads to just ride to the coast somewhere and camp rather than a rally, we used to do it years ago and had a far better time

and i can`t stand most of the bands on at rallies or discos, what happened to music in the background so you could try and out bullshit each other??

and most of the `biker` pubs round here have long gone (as most of the pubs too)

god am i really gettin old???