100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 16-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Default could i have some comments please.

As part of our venture into opening a class 1 and 2 mot station.

could i ask you to answer a couple of questions for me.

1.. if an mot station offered mot testing outside normal working hours, for example 9.00 am to 6.30 pm monday to friday 9.00 am to 4.00 pm saturday. 10.00 am to 3.00 pm sundays.
would you think this a good idea as you would not have to take time off.. please remember i'm in a rual area and the nearest testing stations are 13 miles south. 32 miles north and 43 miles east and cardigan bay to the west.

2... do you feel more comfortable having an mot carried out by a motorcyclist rather than a car mechanic.

or and 3... do you feel that you get a fairer test carried out by a motorcycle repair shop. or do you prefer if they are not in the repair business...

thank you for your time
Old 17-03-2009, 12:35 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

1. Yes, good idea but is there enough demand? If you do go this route it would be well worth running a few adds in the local papers for quite a few miles around, I'm not that far from you and quite a few locals currently go as far afield as Shrewsbury for their mot and take a day off to do it at the moment.
2. I currently go to a car garage but they know their bikes, I'm more concerned about the testers attitude to the job not what they spend their time fixing. Having said that the car places owner does own and ride bikes and this does give me that bit of confidence.
3. I'd prefer to be able to pass on some of the jobs on my bikes to my mot tester so in theory I'd prefer a test and repair type place. Just so long as the tester is fair. Best thing is to show the customer any fail or advisory faults and return any old parts removed / replaced. Then the customer can have a look at the dead bits at their leisure.
Old 17-03-2009, 01:03 AM

thank you matthew

to answer the last first. if the owner was present i would point out at the time why i was failing something, and state why i was giving an advisory.
even now parts that are removed are shown to the customer with the offer of a box or a bag if they want to take them away with them. even old fork seals are put in a platic sealable bag and hung off the bars if they want them as a ornament

there are in my catchment area 1200 plus bikes and as you just said you know people who go to shrewsbury, when you have an mot testing station in the same town as you.

pete zalyck who owned reads in machynlleth which has closed down averaged 750 bikes per year

people these days worry about taking time off. plus were i am from the time i set off untill i get back to the shop over 2 hours has gone by.
by offering outside of usual working hours the bike can come in during the owners free time.

Last edited by dracken1; 17-03-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Old 17-03-2009, 01:49 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Borg

Hurry up, I got a trike that needs a MOT.

Have my pipes arrived ?
Old 17-03-2009, 08:28 AM

Sounds like a plan Wynne but means you'll be working 7 days a week! My local station (proper bike shop with mechanics, not 'technicians') does MOTs 7 days a week and will even do outside 'normal hours' on request. We expect to be able to do anything at any time now I think - go shopping at Tescos at 4am, tax you bike at 11pm, sort your insurance out at 7am.

And re who does the testing, I agree that as long as the decisions are fair and reasonable and the person doing the testing has a proper understanding of bikes (tho not necessarily a 'biker') then that's cool by me. Nothing worse than getting a fail when, for example, they could have just stuck a reflector on your number plate for 50p!
Old 17-03-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracken1 View Post

1.. if an mot station offered mot testing outside normal working hours, for example 9.00 am to 6.30 pm monday to friday 9.00 am to 4.00 pm saturday. 10.00 am to 3.00 pm sundays.
would you think this a good idea as you would not have to take time off.. please remember i'm in a rual area and the nearest testing stations are 13 miles south. 32 miles north and 43 miles east and cardigan bay to the west.

Without a doubt mate. Even though I work for myself an' should be able to 'work' it into my schedule it's somewhat awkward. So bein' able to offer those time I would have thought would bring in a fair amount more custom.

2... do you feel more comfortable having an mot carried out by a motorcyclist rather than a car mechanic.

Yeah, most certainly where I go these days - Dynotech. No axe to grind. They do work on bikes but there doesn't seem to be an agenda to 'get' work.

or and 3... do you feel that you get a fairer test carried out by a motorcycle repair shop. or do you prefer if they are not in the repair business...

See above.

thank you for your time
afsadadfadadsassa
Old 17-03-2009, 11:15 AM

I would certainly use an MOT place that offered out of normal hours mot's..
I would prefer that a bike rider and mech did the mot rather than a car mot'er.. and also find its better if they can actually fix summat they find there and then rather than me taking the bike away and fixing it and then having to take it back again for a re-mot. Lots less hassle..
Good luck with it mate..
Old 17-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

Quote:

Absolutely, it will be a real benefit not only to bikers in your area, but to your business as well.

Quote:
I have never had an MOT done by a Car Mechanic so I wouldn't know, Wynne. I have used the same MOT tester for years and he knows the way I look after my bikes and is a damn good bloke to talk to anyway.

Quote:

thank you for your time
I do all my own repairs and as above have used the same MOT tester for years so he knows what my bikes are like and he knows I clean my bike before taking it for an MOT. He has been in the sales and repairs business for years and is always willing to give advice and tips to his regulars.

Those that don't do their own repairs/maintenance would probably be more likely to use your services, especially if your labour charges are competitively priced. An experienced bike mechanic will always do a better MOT in my humble opinion

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 17-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

1.. if an mot station offered mot testing outside normal working hours,

thank you for your time
1.. As I don't work I just phone up and fit in.

2.. Always.

3.. always a repair shop. If something fails the tester should have the knowledge to fix it.

I'm too far from you for it to be any use but that is how I get mine done.

John
Old 17-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

My mate runs a bike training school and MOT repair centre
opens sat and sundays
his bissiest days are sat and sundays
very helpfull to us workers

Black Country Motorcycle Training in Tipton if you wanna know
Old 17-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Bike mechanic (he was a shop as well) I used to use, did nothing but MoTs on Saturdays, and he was never short of work. He'd do it during the week, but you'd wait longer, cos he could be up to his armpits in something, whereas the MoTs took a predictable length of time, and he'd just book you in.
Yeah I always used a bike place for mine. As for fair, if it fails I want to know why and see it if I'm waiting, or at worst see the failed part. This is when you need a second bod to do the parts ordering, or your schedule goes to rats.
Old 18-03-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:

This gets back to putting the customer first, old fashioned service rather than an opportunity to increas sales. If I were closer to you, then I would definately make use of your service, no question.

The testing station I use is primarily a car test station, but the owner rides a bike and really likes working on them. He knows I will check the bikes over myself before going to him. He knows I always clean the bikes before a test and he also knows I will pay attention during the test. The owner of the MOT test station is a real mechanic, he fixes before replacing things. He is honest fair and trustworthy. He does all of my customer bikes as well as all of my bikes and vehicles. So yes I feel more comfortable with a real mechanic that knows what he is doing.

thank you for your time
See my comments above to answer this last question.

Dracken mate, it is a good idea, but you will need to make sure that the locals know what you are offering. No point in being at work if nobody is going to be there. Also check with DVLA etc about doing tests outside of normal working hours. Does the computer system work outside normal hours?

You could run a few adverts in local papers, post details on forums, display posters in local shops and leaflet drop local biker meeting places.

Good luck with the idea, hope it pans out for you.

Chopper.

WELCOME TO GREAT BRITAIN.
WE ARE FULL UP, SO FUCK OFF.
Old 18-03-2009, 10:13 AM

Good local place to target advertising might be Gavin Steel's tatoo parlour in Newtown, I've noticed a couple of flyers for bike stuff in their window. Might be worth dropping in and asking to put a flyer in the window
Old 18-03-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmosse View Post
Good local place to target advertising might be Gavin Steel's tatoo parlour in Newtown, I've noticed a couple of flyers for bike stuff in their window. Might be worth dropping in and asking to put a flyer in the window
OH DAVE JONES WOULD LOVE THAT LOL
Old 19-03-2009, 11:48 AM

just to clarify.

an mot testing centre can. if they notify vosa in advance test on a 24/7 basis.
including sundays.
but if anyone asks me to carry out a test at 3.30 in the morning i doubt i would agree
Old 19-03-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
OH DAVE JONES WOULD LOVE THAT LOL
Doubt they'd mind, they refuse to have old bikes in for work, even my newer ones (1981) too busy apparently.
Old 19-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

They might be rethinking that one in the current climate...

How many people are rushing out to buy new bikes right now?
Old 21-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Beefy Pickle doesn't bat for the other side (as far as we know)

Send a message via MSN to kitkatman

i have just found a bike and car mot station( Gavin Fleet Care) less than a quarter of a mile from me and i know the bloke, he has been a biker for years and fully understands the 'inns and outs' of the test ( unlike some of the muppetts we have around these parts, davis brothers and stringers for instance, they know the buisness but would fail you on a minor point rather than a caution as to get the work and the retest fee....wankers)

i had a slight leaky exhaust from the header and he didnt fail the en as he just tightened the nut up so it would pass and didnt charge for the service ( see above)....so i am lucky as i have now found a test centre on my doorstep, he dosnt open sundays but he is open 6 days a week till 6pm and if you cant book a oppointment for a specific day, he lets you drop your bike down to his garage ( under cover and secure) and he gets the test done during the day..

so to your answer wynne, i think that if you are offering a fair service and you know what your on about ( which you do) then people will come to your garage, you might have to advertise in the local rags and t'internet to let people know you are now there....i reckon you will do bloody well mate and good luck ( you also have the added advatage of having the spanner twirlers at the ready to fix any said problems, if needed and also whilst people are waiting, they can see you 'added bling' collection)and its a shame you wasnt a quarter of a mile from me

.....THEN I REALISED IT SAID THICK CUT

QUALIFIED MEMBER OF THE MOBILE DRUNKEN DISPLAY TEAM....

Old 22-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

are you married?
I'd offer it as a booked in thing, not as a drop in, some quality wife time as well as working hard?

would always prefer to be tested by a motorcyclist,
would prefer them to do little bits up to so much money without bothering me, say 20, anything else then a phone call, and get it passed there and then.
Old 22-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

hi bud not shure if this wil help i work as a tester on class 1,2,4 ,5,and 7 we also test class 3 but as yet i have not bin approved to do class 3.
all we do is mot. no repairs appart from simple bulbs and head lamp aim if its easy.we open from 9-6 in the week and 8.30-4 on sat days and never get 5 mins to our self we work through our dinner most days and are up to the nads in it all the time. we work on a first come first servd people start to arrive well b4 we open
people come to us for two reasons we don't won't any repair work so its in our intrest for them to pass since we offer a free retest in 10 working days.
we will not recomend any garage/ bike shop to have the work done.but i will tell them a approx cost so they have a clue if they are paying over the ods.and if i have seen poor work comeing back for retest
allthough we have two bike testers most like me to do it since i ride all year and have done since i was 16.
we do get a lot of sunday riders in some as little as 100mile per year who try it on with all sorts of stuff just to get a pass with the other guy since even though he can ride and test bikes he knows very little.tey nerver seem to say anything to me not shure if its the way i look or not but i think it helps.ime not a big bloke but have a long beard and a shaved head so sort of look like a stero type biker haha

just to finish on my last performance report my avrage time on a bike test is 13min and a car is 30 min and never had a visit from vosa or a warning for testing to fast
Old 22-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Jedi Chat Master

I always get my bikes MOT's done on a Saturday and at a garage that does bikes and cars. My car I'll take wherever's handy at the time. If Sunday's/eves were available I'd probably use the same place all the time.

I'm not keen on non bikers testing my bike for the reasons listed previously but also someone pushing a big bike around if they're not used to it could end in tears.

I'm personally happier with a motorcyclist testing my bike which is why I go to the same place all the time.

I'd go the extended hours on request route if I were you.