100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 21-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Chat Virgin

Default reverse gear on bike derived trike

hi, on ebay there was a gsx 750 trike for sale, it said that it had reverse gear mechanism on it.how does this work,can you convert other bike engine trikes to run in reverse[ie.cx500] I understand that the bigger goldwings have reverse by running the starter motor in reverse while in first gear, Is this correct?cheers.
Old 21-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Quaife do a reverse gear that you can fit to bike engines, (expensive) for trikes and kit cars etc.
Old 21-02-2009, 10:28 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Dry cluch bikes with seperate gearboxes, moto guzzi's, bmw's, urals etc can be bolted to car type gearboxes if you calculate the gear ratio's right. Ural sometimes had/have reverse gear in the gearbox as do chan jiang, the chineese www2 bmw clones. 2cv gearboxes can be linked to bmw boxes or moto guzzi ones using kit car adapter plates,(pembletons to name just one) but the 1000cc bmw boxer engine can apparently strip the innards of a 2cv box if used with enthusiasm Quaife units are but are widely used by kit car folk using bike engines and have a good reputation. Budgett wise I'd be inclined to figure out a means of using a car starter motor rather than the bike one so if you burn out the 'reversing' motor you can still start the engine without bump starting............... One day............ for now I just take care with my parking and get off and push if needed.