100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 15-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Chatter Box

Angry Fixed penalty notice

I got a pull yesterday from a lovely traffic cuntstable on the grounds that my plate was too dirty. He also then decided it didn't have the necessary 1/4 border (it's about an 1/8th of an inch ffs...). I was instantly issued a 30 fine, not a rectification notice that I was expecting. Should I bother to contest this or will I be getting myself into a world of shite?
Old 15-02-2009, 03:27 PM
BIGGUS DICKUS

Send a message via MSN to jimmymoonlite

Contest the fucker..............I would................There's too much of this going on...................

Jimmy
Old 15-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

I would pay it, why? because you are wrong. It is petty and the cop was getting his quota up. If you contest it you will lose because the cop works for the government, primarily to make money for them, the judge works for the government to make money for them, even if you were right you would be found against and the judge would pass a quiet word to the cops boss telling him to be more careful in future.

So pay the 30, change the plate, and take it easy for a few weeks because they will watch out for you as an easy pull.

John
Old 15-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

I'd pay it; if you're not successful in contesting it (and if it's not bang up to scratch, you won't succeed) you'll pay the fiine plus all sorts of costs.

Hate to say it, I really do, but best policy is to pay it and chalk it up to experience I'm afraid.
Old 16-02-2009, 12:47 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

They love to play power games. We all got pulled coming of the ferry to the South Is. Photos of us from all angles by a DI in civvies, paddy wagon sitting waiting etc etc. In NZ you must carry your license at all times while operating a motor vehicle and you must give your name address and DOB. My pommie import cop asked me for my current address and I replied "where are
we, some where on the sire of the road in Picton?". Then he asked for my occupation and I replied " I'm not required to give that". He asked for my bike rego and warrent of fitness and I produced them from my wallet so he ticketed me for failing to display said items as he claimed they must be on the bike. $200 for each offence. They are just arseholes in the worlds biggest gang
Old 16-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Chat Slapper

Send a message via MSN to Justice Kecks

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins View Post
I would pay it, why? because you are wrong. It is petty and the cop was getting his quota up. If you contest it you will lose because the cop works for the government, primarily to make money for them, the judge works for the government to make money for them, even if you were right you would be found against and the judge would pass a quiet word to the cops boss telling him to be more careful in future.

So pay the 30, change the plate, and take it easy for a few weeks because they will watch out for you as an easy pull.

John
Nah, they wouldn't watch out for you BWC, we're too busy keeping tabs on John.
Don't get paranoid John, we ARE watching you.
Old 16-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Chatter Box

Cheers guys. Have sought legal advice and basically the best I could hope to come out with is the original 30 fine plus court costs. Most likely they'd bump up the fine and gimme some points for my trouble too... As mentioned, I was in the wrong (even if it was very slight) and it's very doubtful the judge would take my side over that of the police, as they are all part of one joyous establishment.
Old 16-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysworstcat View Post
I was in the wrong (even if it was very slight) and it's very doubtful the judge would take my side over that of the police, as they are all part of one joyous establishment.
If you were in the wrong, why would a judge take your side?
Old 16-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Pay it. I run a small plate - as a full size one just looks stupid on a Night Rod - and take the occasional 30 fine as running costs... it costs me more than that to fill the car up.

Firedance Roadshow - www.firedance.biz
Old 16-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid View Post
If you were in the wrong, why would a judge take your side?
I had initially thought the cop was being overly heavy handed. It is rare but it has been known for a judge to say the police have been so.
I shall indeed take it as running costs, I can't fit a larger plate on the bracket so fuck it.
Old 16-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Just widen the border by 1/8th of an inch with paint.

John
Old 16-02-2009, 11:11 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:

John
That sir, may well just work.

Cheers.
Old 17-02-2009, 01:47 AM
Chat Slut

Just wondering... did the copper measure the plate?
Lots'a people don't know the difference between " and an 'Enry... today's standard of education and all that.
Old 17-02-2009, 09:22 AM

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

Quote:

John
for that to work, he`d have to widen the plate by 2x 1/8th`s of an inch
Old 17-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Chat Slapper

Send a message via MSN to Justice Kecks

Quote:
... As mentioned, I was in the wrong (even if it was very slight)
Keep the bit in red in mind.

Quote:
and it's very doubtful the judge would take my side over that of the police
Remember the red bit above?

Quote:
as they are all part of one joyous establishment.
One more time. NO WE FUCKING AREN'T. Have a look at the red bit again.

I don't know the circumstances but have you mentioned everything, like trying to be smart with plod or something which may piss him off or draw attention to yourself. You say you can't get a normal plate to fit, why not? That is an MoT failure. Repeatedly doing it can result in 1000 fine and if it is a private plate, having it withdrawn.

Otherwise, yes you may have just got a pedantic twat getting a quick few points towards his target for the month. As a bench, we may discuss in private about the pettyness of the offence, but it was a line you knowingly crossed, and we certainly wouldn't criticise plod in open court, however jobsworth he is. You did it, you got caught. That'll be 30 FPN please. I

My plate is only slightly out of size by 1/2 inch and the font is slightly under sized too. I use it because it is more asthetically pleasing and has the Euro symbol for going abroad. Rest assured though, should petty-plod have a check on mine, I will get nicked just as quick. There is no big flag that pops up on the PNC that says "back off - one of us". I will be "nick of the day" in the piggery canteen if they find out I am a magistrate.
Old 19-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice Kecks View Post
Keep the bit in red in mind.

Remember the red bit above?

One more time. NO WE FUCKING AREN'T. Have a look at the red bit again.

I don't know the circumstances but have you mentioned everything, like trying to be smart with plod or something which may piss him off or draw attention to yourself. You say you can't get a normal plate to fit, why not? That is an MoT failure. Repeatedly doing it can result in 1000 fine and if it is a private plate, having it withdrawn.

Otherwise, yes you may have just got a pedantic twat getting a quick few points towards his target for the month. As a bench, we may discuss in private about the pettyness of the offence, but it was a line you knowingly crossed, and we certainly wouldn't criticise plod in open court, however jobsworth he is. You did it, you got caught. That'll be 30 FPN please. I

My plate is only slightly out of size by 1/2 inch and the font is slightly under sized too. I use it because it is more asthetically pleasing and has the Euro symbol for going abroad. Rest assured though, should petty-plod have a check on mine, I will get nicked just as quick. There is no big flag that pops up on the PNC that says "back off - one of us". I will be "nick of the day" in the piggery canteen if they find out I am a magistrate.
Excellently put.
Far too many twats on these pages that know it all and hate plod. BUT, who do they go crying to when shit hits fans.
NO, I'M NOT A COP.!!!!!
Old 19-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderider View Post
Excellently put.
Far too many twats on these pages that know it all and hate plod. BUT, who do they go crying to when shit hits fans.
NO, I'M NOT A COP.!!!!!
The pigs are like vegetables, I don't like them but need them to stay healthy.
However there are bad and then there are worse vegetables.
Old 20-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

Quote:
You say you can't get a normal plate to fit, why not? That is an MoT failure. Repeatedly doing it can result in 1000 fine and if it is a private plate, having it withdrawn.

erm sorry not quite right as far as Im aware, for MOT purposes the number plate has to conform to criteria, ie equal width letters and spacing, but I dont know of anything that says the size of the plate and the size of the lettering? unless it changed recently
Old 20-02-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon-tony View Post
erm sorry not quite right as far as Im aware, for MOT purposes the number plate has to conform to criteria, ie equal width letters and spacing, but I dont know of anything that says the size of the plate and the size of the lettering? unless it changed recently

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/lea...mberplates.pdf

http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Old 20-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

That settles that.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 20-02-2009, 12:50 PM

this is interesting, car based trike owners will need a plate on the front then?

Tricycles derived from four wheeled bodies i.e. saloon cars must meet the normal requirements for numbers plates. Whereas tricycles derived from motorcycles must meet the requirements for motorcycles.

Old 20-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr View Post
yup thats the DVLA rules/laws, I expect it the same for C&U but for MOT I dont think its the same?
Old 20-02-2009, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

I find this a bit confusing

MOTORCYCLES AND TRICYCLES
l Motorcycles and tricycles registered after 1.9.2001 must only display a number plate at therear of the vehicle.
l Motorcycles and tricycles registered before 1.9.2001 can display a number plate at the frontbut are not required to.
l Tricycles derived from four wheeled bodies i.e. saloon cars must meet the normalrequirements for numbers plates. Whereas tricycles derived from motorcycles must meetthe requirements for motorcycles.

The first and second statements contradict the third

That could mean that VW trikes need front number plates or they just need to meet the size requirements. It could be interpretated either way by a judge.

John
Old 20-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Need to Get out More!

Quote:

l Motorcycles and tricycles registered after 1.9.2001 must only display a number plate at therear of the vehicle.
l Motorcycles and tricycles registered before 1.9.2001 can display a number plate at the frontbut are not required to.
l Tricycles derived from four wheeled bodies i.e. saloon cars must meet the normalrequirements for numbers plates. Whereas tricycles derived from motorcycles must meetthe requirements for motorcycles.

That could mean that VW trikes need front number plates or they just need to meet the size requirements. It could be interpretated either way by a judge.

John
Trikes derived from four wheeled bodies also need to have numberplates with the bigger letters that cars have then, cos bile letters are smaller.
Old 21-02-2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:

John
all it means is if you have an old brit with a cheese cutter front number plate, you can keep it on for originalitys sake, and you wont fall foul of any over zealous plod or mot man. you cna leave it on or remove it. your choice, but post 20001 you can only have a rear plate.
as for the trikes, well if its a car trike, you need car size plates front and back, if its a bike trike you only need back, and if its a vintage trike, then you can have a front but its not a necessity, but you wont be penalised for displaying one.

Old 22-02-2009, 11:23 AM

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

Quote:
My plate is only slightly out of size by 1/2 inch and the font is slightly under sized too.
Quote:
I use it because it is more asthetically pleasing.
I remember that, and quote it, when I`m up in front of the magistrate
Quote:
I will be "nick of the day" in the piggery canteen if they find out I am a magistrate.
So as an upstanding citizen, and someone who should be a model to society.
I figure that someone in your position when they take on a position such as a magistrate, should set an example by not breaking the rules, so how can you justify breaking the rules/law by having a non complient number plate and maybe other non legal stuff on your bike?
Old 22-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

Pob, how can you, as a Professional Driver justify breaking the speed limit on your bike when you should be setting an example yourself?

We all break the rules, matey.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 22-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

POB Ive been watching that girl for an hour now. How does she keep it up?

John
Old 22-02-2009, 04:03 PM
BIGGUS DICKUS

Send a message via MSN to jimmymoonlite

Quote:
POB Ive been watching that girl for an hour now. How does she keep it up?

John
Its that new wonder drug for those of the female pursuasion John.....

Called NIAGRA, it keeps them wet all day.....................

Jimmy
Old 22-02-2009, 04:33 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr View Post
all it means is if you have an old brit with a cheese cutter front number plate, you can keep it on for originalitys sake, and you wont fall foul of any over zealous plod or mot man. you cna leave it on or remove it. your choice, but post 20001 you can only have a rear plate.
as for the trikes, well if its a car trike, you need car size plates front and back, if its a bike trike you only need back, and if its a vintage trike, then you can have a front but its not a necessity, but you wont be penalised for displaying one.
The derived motocycle or car derived is not based on the donor parts but in the way the veichle is steered, a motorcycle derived trike has handle bars, the other a steering wheel.

as for the bouncing basoomas...........well its really just the camera moving up and down