100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 28-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Nik
Default Interesting piece in the Telegraph ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...w-for-all.html

Thanks to Mr Mutch for sending it to me.
Old 28-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Good little read that, and also in Clarkson's colum he mentioned the bet, if memory serves me right he got about 2 miles before he got nicked
Old 28-10-2008, 01:15 PM

i remember examining my helmet (motorcycle helmet) after a 50 mph tumbly fall episode. very deep scars right along the left side. now i'm no expert but i suspect that my helmet was made of sterner stuff than my flesh. so i would wear one anyway.
Old 28-10-2008, 02:36 PM

Good article and of course some typical responses
Taking some to the logical conclusion then we should ban any form of anything that may cause injury.
So thats walking out in case someone trips.
Old 28-10-2008, 03:03 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

interesting. Given the choice of wearing or not, what would you all do?
I dont like being forced to do anything, but I would wear one.

thoughts?
Old 28-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

Given the choice I would still wear a helmet.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 28-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Banned

Yes and full face, I ground off the front of a helmet once in a accident, that convinced me of the benefits of a Full face lid.
Old 28-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Nik

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
interesting. Given the choice of wearing or not, what would you all do?
I dont like being forced to do anything, but I would wear one.

thoughts?
Most o' the time probably yes - I don't like me ears getting cold. If the weather was okay and I wasn't going far then, probably, no.

Old 28-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Banned

Just thought about it and 90% of the time I dont wear a lid if Im on the trike, Only on longer journeys do I wear one, cos if it pisses down it stings and gets really annoying after a while.
Old 28-10-2008, 03:11 PM

Personally I think the helmet issue is a dead duck and there is no way the government will ever change it
I would like to see MAG spending its time looking at events being cancelled that spend 1 second more on the helmet bill
Old 28-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Jedi Chat Master

I really can't see the law being changed now either but I did used to enjoy riding without a lid, even after the law came in
As for riding without a lid now then I probably wouldn't but that's more down to being older and more cautious.
Old 28-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Here is the follow up article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...he-law....html

He never actually got nicked just a copper in a van pointed at his head in a n obvious manner

a policeman in a van spotted me in Kensington. He simply pointed at me, pointed at my lid, performed an exaggerated tapping motion on the top of his own head and, I think, called me something slightly rude. I was a bit disappointed that he didn't get out and confront me, because I wanted to be able to say, "Good morning, Officer. I presume you have my television in the back of your van."
Old 28-10-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
Here is the follow up article

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...he-law....html

He never actually got nicked just a copper in a van pointed at his head in a n obvious manner

a policeman in a van spotted me in Kensington. He simply pointed at me, pointed at my lid, performed an exaggerated tapping motion on the top of his own head and, I think, called me something slightly rude. I was a bit disappointed that he didn't get out and confront me, because I wanted to be able to say, "Good morning, Officer. I presume you have my television in the back of your van."
I stand corrected, will nearly always wear mine , but will take it off for funerals
Old 28-10-2008, 04:25 PM

given the choice then probably not if i was just pottering around localy, on a long journy or were speed gets up then yes coz them stone chips they keep laying would probably go yhrough your skull like a bullit from a magnum 45.
Old 28-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

I have to say the times I wouldn't wear it - middle of summer town centre traffic are probably the times most likely to need it

But I'd rather have the choice and personally I feel just saying "oh well it has been in years no point whinging" is inviting them to make all sorts of other PPE legally necessary. I have no doubt there are a bunch of eurocrats who feel that if Bikes are going to be allowed to exist then all riders should wear full one piece kevlar reinforced dayglo boiler suits with built in flashing lights and airbags.

The one thing i won't ride without is gloves because when I was 17 my mate had an off from an H100 and put his ungloved hand out as he fell (at about 20 mph) I listened to him scream as my mum and a bottle of dettol helped clean the gravel out. Strangely I feel much more naked without gloves than without a lid.
Old 28-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Chat Slapper

Whatever...

I've ridden down to the next village and back on numerous occasions - about six or so miles - without a lid and not had such as a dickybird of a pull. Though I've quite often had some twerp asking 'where's your helmet?'

Though I don't do it in Central London. Fair play to James May for trying.
Old 28-10-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy696969 View Post
Just thought about it and 90% of the time I dont wear a lid if Im on the trike, Only on longer journeys do I wear one, cos if it pisses down it stings and gets really annoying after a while.
Ratting hat.

Mine's a Swedish army winter hat.
Old 28-10-2008, 08:40 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Mostly a dead issue?, I'll keep my lid on anyways, but sometimes it is just plain wate of time to truck a skid lid around, I'm thinking hight of summer, on a sidecar outfit in gridlock traffic for instance. just as much chance of dieing of heatstroke as a head injury, in any case as the sidecar passenger has no lid, I'd be being as May puts it, a pratt if I was riding in such a manner as to make tipping the outfit at all probable, yet the law says I should still be wearing a lid. May has my vote on this. He's cirtainly made me question this law for the first time (it was passed long before I was born)
Old 28-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Too true and I used to occasionally not bother with a lid on my outfit, reasoning that if I was confident and insistent that an outfit was a three wheeler and therefore no lid was required, I'd get away with it, due to the scarcity of outfits and the average plod's unfamiliarity with them. (they're not btw, the chair is an accessory to a motorcycle)
Old 28-10-2008, 09:43 PM

God I miss the Magna Carta. Bikes coming from everywhere, car drivers shaking their heads and coppers not bothered.
And the only time I got my picture in AWOL.
Them were the days.
Old 28-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

We didn't all wear them in '69...

Regards Knuckle 'ed

Harley-Davidson Rider
Old 29-10-2008, 02:04 AM
Chatter Box

Sgortly before I was born in 72 my dad and his younger brother loved tearing around on their Nortons (alas they stopped before I can even remember). The difference between them was my dad was the rebel without a clue and my uncle was the sensible helmet wearing one.

One day my uncle stove his head into a car, he was ok, eventually, but his lid was almost in two pieces. The police asked if they could take the lid and use it to show the virtue of bringing the helmet law in. That lid ended up in parlament.

It became a bit of a family joke that my uncle was responsible spoiling the freedom of bikers.

Strangely, when I announced I wanted a bike my dad was the first person to make sure I had some decent safety gear.

Personally I always wear decent clobber even in summer and a lid on a trike. Funerals the exception.

Personally I think the helmet issue is dead in the water. After 25 years it's never adversely affected someones civil liberty and has saved lifes, a fact hard to fight whatever your opinion. So using the helmet law as part of a civil liberty issue is grasping and you'd be better off choosing something more current which may still prove to have an adverse effect on our freedoms and rights.
Old 29-10-2008, 02:08 AM
Chatter Box

Quote:

The one thing i won't ride without is gloves because when I was 17 my mate had an off from an H100 and put his ungloved hand out as he fell (at about 20 mph) I listened to him scream as my mum and a bottle of dettol helped clean the gravel out. Strangely I feel much more naked without gloves than without a lid.
Having witnessed the grusome consequence of riding without gloves it's natural you will be more inclined to protect your hands. If you had seen someone with his skin scraped down to the bone cos he wasnt wearing a jacket you may have ended up focusing more on that than gloves. Human nature.
Old 29-10-2008, 02:11 AM

Although it could be said that the introduction of the helmet law, and the fact it survived was the first step on the ladder towards todays ludicrous health and safety laws.

sax
bought first bike in 69, bought first helmet in 73 cos i had to.
Old 29-10-2008, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy696969 View Post
Yes and full face, I ground off the front of a helmet once in a accident, that convinced me of the benefits of a Full face lid.

Ditto, came off at 55mph and went down the road with just the front of the lid in contact. When I was young (many years ago) helmets were not compulsory and I used to wear mine to the top of the road (to appease my Mum) and then take it off. I came off and knocked myself unconscious on a concrete grit bin, but still would not wear one. Now I wear it at all times, with the exception of round the court bike fettling.
Old 29-10-2008, 02:44 AM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman View Post
Although it could be said that the introduction of the helmet law, and the fact it survived was the first step on the ladder towards todays ludicrous health and safety laws.

Yeah it could. But then it would be argues the helmet law was one of the many successful health and safety laws. Just because it arguably swung too far the other way doesnt mean many changes HnS laws were a much needed and much fought for (building industry for one) issue.

Im not saying give up n roll over, Id be the last to say that, but after all this time the helmet law is a non issue when it comes to civil liberties.
Old 29-10-2008, 10:37 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
One of my neighbours bought his son a twist&go scooter thing recently and he was moaning at me that he just couldn't convince the lad to wear his gloves so he asked me to have a word. The lad kept telling me that he was alright as he only rode round town so I pointed out that 30mph is about 45 feet per second and that would take the skin off his palms quite well. Then I asked him how as a 17 year old lad he felt about the idea of his mum taking him to the toilet while his hands were bandaged-never seen him ride without gloves since
Old 29-10-2008, 11:29 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Send a message via MSN to davesatan Send a message via Yahoo to davesatan

so are both of them getting done
clarkson for aiding and abetting
i guess not then

i need legal advice help
Old 29-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle View Post
We didn't all wear them in '69...
{wiv some pix}
I really wanna ask "Who's the cute one with the floppy dark hair?" ...

... but I'm afraid of the answer
Old 29-10-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldybongo View Post
God I miss the Magna Carta. Bikes coming from everywhere, car drivers shaking their heads and coppers not bothered.
And the only time I got my picture in AWOL.
Them were the days.
And hence why AWOL is no more