100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Kylie's Avatar
Kylie Kylie is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morley (50 yrs behind the times)
Posts: 7,425
Send a message via MSN to Kylie
Default Insurance including business use - any suggestions?

Unlike many car insurance policies bike insurers like to fleece you for business use.... so... I've got a quote of 102 from Adrian Flux for TPF&T, social domestic pleasure commuting and business use.. that includes legal with a 200 excess on the policy, but not breakdown as i've discovered my car insurance breakdown covers me not the vehicle which is rather handy.

I'd love to be able to make it less, it was 94 before i asked for 50 miles a year business use... but even tho its a tiny amount I daren't risk it without cos i am just a seriously unlucky little bunny!
__________________
Owner of the spotty pants!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 19-09-2008, 12:55 PM
wurzel wurzel is offline
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,007
Default

My Carole Nash insurance classic for gpz900r inc class 1 business use 125 fully comp, basically the only problem I have has is not being able to add both business and my wife, I can have 1 or the other without silly money quotes

I believe the underwriter was cornhill but is now CN's own bunch
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 19-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Kylie's Avatar
Kylie Kylie is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morley (50 yrs behind the times)
Posts: 7,425
Send a message via MSN to Kylie
Default

i don't have a wife so reckon i'm probably fairly safe on that one

The only problem i have with Auntie Carole is last year they said it was part of their clause that if they wrote my bike off i couldnt buy her back and i didnt like that!!!
__________________
Owner of the spotty pants!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 19-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Bassman's Avatar
Bassman Bassman is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,523
Default

to be honest.. if i was only doing 50? miles a year on business use.. i wouldnt bother.. and if i did have to claim... how would they know that i wasnt just out for a run?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 19-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Borg's Avatar
Borg Borg is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The Independent State Of West Wales
Posts: 4,521
Send a message via MSN to Borg
Default

All the pizza stains might give it away
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 19-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Kylie's Avatar
Kylie Kylie is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morley (50 yrs behind the times)
Posts: 7,425
Send a message via MSN to Kylie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
to be honest.. if i was only doing 50? miles a year on business use.. i wouldnt bother.. and if i did have to claim... how would they know that i wasnt just out for a run?
Had one or two issues with insurance in the past so am being supremely careful. Have been dicing with it this year and it was less than that this year probably. Now its a regular thing i just feel happier being above board. I know i could probably get away with it, but..... peace of mind and all that. I'll only stress myself about it if i dont.
__________________
Owner of the spotty pants!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 19-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Kylie's Avatar
Kylie Kylie is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morley (50 yrs behind the times)
Posts: 7,425
Send a message via MSN to Kylie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post
All the pizza stains might give it away
Lol have considered that on many an occasion but pizza hut provide their own bikes so no need for own insurance
__________________
Owner of the spotty pants!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 19-09-2008, 06:44 PM
matthewmosse matthewmosse is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mid Wales
Posts: 1,572
Default

Lynbrook are fairly flexible on what's on the policy, multi bike multi rider etc, I think I also get bussiness use, cann't remember. cn said no one would do that
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 21-09-2008, 06:48 AM
gothtec's Avatar
gothtec gothtec is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 2,988
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie View Post
The only problem i have with Auntie Carole is last year they said it was part of their clause that if they wrote my bike off i couldnt buy her back and i didnt like that!!!
Is that company policy/ legal policy or just for you?

If its company policy then I'm not using them agian.
__________________
------------------------
Brought to you by:
www.gothtec.com
www.youtube.com/Gothtecdotcom
------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 21-09-2008, 10:54 AM
ChopperFXR's Avatar
ChopperFXR ChopperFXR is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Somerset
Posts: 2,468
Default

I am probably going to get flamed for this, but here goes anyway.

Long and short of it is that insurance companies will take your money and fall over themselves to fleece you. If you do have a prang and make a claim, they then go out of thier way to find a reason NOT to pay you, or pay you as little as possible.

Its only recently that they have started NOT including commuting to and from work. You have to specify what you use the bike for. You also have to specify any modifications, blah blah blah.

If you give honest answers to all thier questions, in the event of a claim, they have very little they can screw you over on.

I have trade insurance which covers my premises, public liability, van, my car and all my bikes, riding customers bikes, social, domestic and pleasure, commuting. Everything is covered. Costs me 1280. Sounds a lot like that but when you add up all the seperate policies, it works out a hell of a lot cheaper.

If you "Forget to mention something when you take out the policy, they can seriously fuck you up in the event of a claim. The answer is to shop around and play one off against another. Make the thieving bastards work hard for thier/your money. Don't forget they are supposed to be working for you.

Chopper.
__________________
MADE IN ENGLAND.
MY COUNTRY RIGHT OR WRONG.


WELCOME TO GREAT BRITAIN.
WE ARE FULL UP, SO FUCK OFF.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 21-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Blue38's Avatar
Blue38 Blue38 is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Caribean Island Of Monmouth
Posts: 1,720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie View Post
Lol have considered that on many an occasion but pizza hut provide their own bikes so no need for own insurance
hem,bikes ?

Always wanted a go on one though,bet it's a right laugh
__________________
All Roads Lead To Somewhere, Just stay On A Fucker
Don't go drinking with dwarfs with learning difficulties......
........It ain't big & it ain't clever
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 21-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Blue38's Avatar
Blue38 Blue38 is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Caribean Island Of Monmouth
Posts: 1,720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperFXR View Post
I am probably going to get flamed for this, but here goes anyway.

Long and short of it is that insurance companies will take your money and fall over themselves to fleece you. If you do have a prang and make a claim, they then go out of thier way to find a reason NOT to pay you, or pay you as little as possible.

Its only recently that they have started NOT including commuting to and from work. You have to specify what you use the bike for. You also have to specify any modifications, blah blah blah.

If you give honest answers to all thier questions, in the event of a claim, they have very little they can screw you over on.

I have trade insurance which covers my premises, public liability, van, my car and all my bikes, riding customers bikes, social, domestic and pleasure, commuting. Everything is covered. Costs me 1280. Sounds a lot like that but when you add up all the seperate policies, it works out a hell of a lot cheaper.

If you "Forget to mention something when you take out the policy, they can seriously fuck you up in the event of a claim. The answer is to shop around and play one off against another. Make the thieving bastards work hard for thier/your money. Don't forget they are supposed to be working for you.

Chopper.

1280 is a good price for that level of cover.Very good actually
__________________
All Roads Lead To Somewhere, Just stay On A Fucker
Don't go drinking with dwarfs with learning difficulties......
........It ain't big & it ain't clever
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 21-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Kylie's Avatar
Kylie Kylie is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morley (50 yrs behind the times)
Posts: 7,425
Send a message via MSN to Kylie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothtec View Post
Is that company policy/ legal policy or just for you?

If its company policy then I'm not using them agian.
It was the insurer - i ended up with the same insurer through bikesure but not the same clause.. no idea why.
__________________
Owner of the spotty pants!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 23-09-2008, 02:47 PM
gothtec's Avatar
gothtec gothtec is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 2,988
Default

Odd that?!

Norwich union wont insure me cause I drive for living, but if I go through a broker I get it cheaper and it doesn't matter about the job. Same with mi CGrat, NU wont insure it cause its over 30 years old, but through bennets same policy and as cheap??????
__________________
------------------------
Brought to you by:
www.gothtec.com
www.youtube.com/Gothtecdotcom
------------------------
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.