100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 19-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Borg
Default "vindictive claptrap."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/7570047.stm

Yet again even the 'locals' are on our side.
Old 19-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Lousy research on the writer's part, though.
Old 19-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Banned

Which bit ?
Old 19-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Administrator

This bit - in a piece dated 19th August 2008 -

Quote:
Plans to stage a bike show in Denbighshire in August have police backing, its organisers have claimed.

Last month, the annual Welsh National Motorcycle show at Builth Wells was cancelled because of police concerns about violence between rival bikers.

But David Green, who is organising the two day show at Llangollen, says his venture has the backing of North Wales Police and will promote safe riding.
The Llangollen Show was two weeks ago. More than that, it had the positive support of the police - see http://www.eveningleader.co.uk/news/...and.4337483.jp

Strange, because I'm certain that Llangollen isn't all that far from Builth Wells.
Old 19-08-2008, 02:19 PM
Banned

MM strange I can't see that part in the news report.

Sure you don't mean Llanelwedd

Last edited by Borg; 19-08-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 19-08-2008, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post
MM strange I can see that part in the news report.
Can or can't? Scroll down.

And no, Borg, Llangollen. The Motorcycle Show run by Xuberance took place in Llangollen on 2-3rd August. David Green is the organiser of said show.
Old 19-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Banned

Can't I meant.

I'll paste what I see here.

Quote:
Motorcyclists are "flabbergasted" after a bike show was cancelled on police advice.

North Wales Police said they were worried about potential trouble involving rival gangs at the Isle of Anglesey Motorcycle Show.

Organisers of the bank holiday weekend event insisted they arrange "safe, fun-packed family events."

But police said they had "no choice" but to advise cancellation in order to prevent "crime and disorder".

A spokesman for the Welsh Motorcycle Shows Ltd said: "If this can happen to us, no event will be safe next year."

Llandudno businessman Arthur Roberts, of pressure group People for Proper Policing, claimed the force's reason for stopping the bike show which was planned to take place between 22 - 25 August was "vindictive claptrap."

"There's a car show and country fair at the weekend. What if someone rings up anonymously and says the car show people are going to attack the country fair?" Mr Roberts added.

"Motorcyclists are flabbergasted by what's happened. If there is a problem, if the police intelligence is so well-founded, why can't they do something about it?

"When will they start policing and show the general public they are in charge of law and order?"

A North Wales Police spokesman said the force had been monitoring the "intelligence picture" in respect of risk to public safety.

"Up until very recently we were satisfied that, through working closely with the organiser and showground committee, appropriate control measures could be put in place to mitigate the threat - this position has now changed.

"Further information has been received, and our assessment, following consultation with key stakeholders, is that the risk of disorder has increased, and we are no longer confident that the safety of the public can be maintained.

"As a consequence, the recommendation to cancel has been forwarded to the showground committee.

"This decision was not taken lightly, and we realise that this will be a disappointment to the attendees - the vast majority of whom are law abiding people who wanted to enjoy a peaceful event,

"We apologise for the inconvenience caused to them but, our paramount intention is to prevent crime and disorder and to maintain public safety," he added.

The annual Welsh National Motorcycle Show was also cancelled by Dyfed Powys Police amid fears of violence between rival biker gangs.

It was to have taken place at the Royal Welsh showground in Llanelwedd between 23 and 26 May.
Old 19-08-2008, 02:32 PM
Administrator

This is what I see.

Quote:
Bike show axed after police fears
Motorcycles (library picture)
The three day event was to take place at the Mona show ground

Motorcyclists are "flabbergasted" after a bike show was cancelled on police advice.

North Wales Police said they were worried about potential trouble involving rival gangs at the Isle of Anglesey Motorcycle Show.

Organisers of the bank holiday weekend event insisted they arrange "safe, fun-packed family events."

But police said they had "no choice" but to advise cancellation in order to prevent "crime and disorder".

A spokesman for the Welsh Motorcycle Shows Ltd said: "If this can happen to us, no event will be safe next year."

Llandudno businessman Arthur Roberts, of pressure group People for Proper Policing, claimed the force's reason for stopping the bike show which was planned to take place between 22 - 25 August was "vindictive claptrap."

"There's a car show and country fair at the weekend. What if someone rings up anonymously and says the car show people are going to attack the country fair?" Mr Roberts added.

"Motorcyclists are flabbergasted by what's happened. If there is a problem, if the police intelligence is so well-founded, why can't they do something about it?

"When will they start policing and show the general public they are in charge of law and order?"

A North Wales Police spokesman said the force had been monitoring the "intelligence picture" in respect of risk to public safety.

"Up until very recently we were satisfied that, through working closely with the organiser and showground committee, appropriate control measures could be put in place to mitigate the threat - this position has now changed.

"Further information has been received, and our assessment, following consultation with key stakeholders, is that the risk of disorder has increased, and we are no longer confident that the safety of the public can be maintained.

"As a consequence, the recommendation to cancel has been forwarded to the showground committee.

"This decision was not taken lightly, and we realise that this will be a disappointment to the attendees - the vast majority of whom are law abiding people who wanted to enjoy a peaceful event,

"We apologise for the inconvenience caused to them but, our paramount intention is to prevent crime and disorder and to maintain public safety," he added.

The annual Welsh National Motorcycle Show was also cancelled by Dyfed Powys Police amid fears of violence between rival biker gangs.

It was to have taken place at the Royal Welsh showground in Llanelwedd between 23 and 26 May.

Plans to stage a bike show in Denbighshire in August have police backing, its organisers have claimed.

Last month, the annual Welsh National Motorcycle show at Builth Wells was cancelled because of police concerns about violence between rival bikers.

But David Green, who is organising the two day show at Llangollen, says his venture has the backing of North Wales Police and will promote safe riding.

The show will have an emphasis on trade stands, he added.

Steve Bennett, the organiser of the Welsh National Motorcycle Show, which had been due to take place between 23 - 26 May on the Royal Welsh showground in Powys, has said he might take legal action over the cancellation.

It would be against the Royal Welsh Showground Committee which called off the event after meetings with the police.

Mr Green said his event on 2 and 3 August would be daytime only and would not offer any camping facilities.

"The police are with us on this event," he said.

"It will be more like the motorcycle show at the NEC in Birmingham with a big emphasis on trade stands."
Old 19-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Banned

Now that is very strange
Old 19-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Administrator

It's what it says - honest!!
Old 19-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Cached from different servers...
Old 19-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Administrator

How come if I used Borg's link?
Old 19-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
How come if I used Borg's link?
There's more than one BBC news web server. Information is updated in one place and gets passed on to the web servers. The load of people browsing is split across all the web servers, so there is a chance that two people going to the same link at the same time will see different information as one will have updated, whereas the other is yet to update.

This is then compounded by caching at your ISP...

Last edited by The Beer Monsters; 19-08-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 19-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Banned

Nope, just looked again and your bit it now showing, might have been firefox playing silly buggers again
Old 19-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Still only getting the short version here.
Old 19-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post
Nope, just looked again and your bit it now showing, might have been firefox playing silly buggers again
Shouldn't be - I use Firefox too.

And TBMS, I was with you up until 'There's more than one BBC server'...
Old 19-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Pen View Post
Shift F5 in Internet Explorer or CTRL R in Firefox. Force a refresh.
Old 19-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
Shouldn't be - I use Firefox too.

And TBMS, I was with you up until 'There's more than one BBC server'...
Why, do you believe otherwise?
Old 19-08-2008, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beer Monsters View Post
Why, do you believe otherwise?
Yes. I confess that I am a flat-BBCer.
Old 19-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Pen View Post
Did you own a Triumph years ago ?