100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Trike Magazine

Notices

Old 31-07-2008, 08:59 PM
Chat Virgin

Default engines with shaft drive any ideas ???

hello all first time using this so hope i get it right ...im in the process (thought) as to building a trike . im mechanically minded and can fabricate but im struggling to find any decent info on shaft drive bike engines . i have learnt that the gsx1100 g engine is adaptable,common and shaft driven but as i say common . i would realy like to do something a little different and was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas on good shaft driven engines or any ideas on other alternatives cheers
matt
Old 31-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

ive a rusting hulk of a honda gl1100 goldwing round the back of my mates house. its just a frame engine and fuel tank with one or 2 ancilarys tacked on like carbs and air filters. but it would be ok for a trike lump.

it'd be bloody cheap too!!!

http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Old 31-07-2008, 10:24 PM
Chat Virgin

Default engine for tke

hi is engine still for sale ? is it complet and how cheap !!
Old 31-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Chat Virgin

Default engine for trike

hi is engine still for sale ? is it complet and how cheap is cheap !!
Old 31-07-2008, 10:46 PM

engine is complete and was a runner when it was taken off the road. its got carbs fuel pump reg rec, starter. though i dont think the cdi is there, though i may be mistaken. no exhausts with it either. ive also got, which i'll throw in a twin choke webber carb which i always planned to fit in place of the stock 4 carbs. these are reputed to give similar performance, but to greatly reduce fuel consumption. i just never got round to making the manifold for it!
looking for 120 quid for the lump. its in preston lancs

Old 01-08-2008, 10:25 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Default goldwing bargain

Go on build a low life with supercharger.Happens to be one of my all time fav trikes

or could stick with monster gsx1100g(not that I'm biased)

hasten to add that my trike is not one in't pic,alas.

drew
Old 01-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Chat Slapper

Im building a trike from a GL1100 also - so if you need any help just ask.
Got loads of bits and pieces.
Old 01-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Chat Virgin

Default goldwing

i got reliant trike thinking of changin engine looking for something different
Old 01-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

I know a guy who makes adaptor plates to fit the Fiat F.I.R.E. engine on to reliant gearboxes.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:55 PM

hundred quid for this wing, im just after shut of it now, house move soon and im not planning to take it with me. but be sharp, or it might end up in the scrappys van!!

Old 05-08-2008, 04:48 AM

Default Don't scrap it

When are you moving?

Skint at mo but may have some dosh soon.Make a great trike motor.

drew
Old 05-08-2008, 04:26 PM

2 or 3 weeks.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyk View Post
hello all first time using this so hope i get it right ...im in the process (thought) as to building a trike . im mechanically minded and can fabricate but im struggling to find any decent info on shaft drive bike engines . i have learnt that the gsx1100 g engine is adaptable,common and shaft driven but as i say common . i would realy like to do something a little different and was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas on good shaft driven engines or any ideas on other alternatives cheers
matt
ntv 600 is 50 hp and shaft drive would make a good lightweight, meant to be reliable, often come up cheap.
BMW flat twin, easily adaptable, can be plated to take 2cv gearbox and parts are availble for this, 1000cc ones put out 70 odd hp, lodsa torqe, known for stripping 2cv boxes if thrashed so stick to 800cc 50 hp if you want budgett reverse. same can probably be said of moto guzzi aircooled motors, both used by kit car crowd.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Chat Virgin

hi cheers for the reply wat if i was to use a gsx 1100 g motor and i wanted reverse gear wat are the options? if i wanted to not have reverse could i just run a prop straight from the exsisting motor.as you can tell im still fighting in my head for ideas and not to sure how to execute it help help help !!!!!!!!
Old 06-08-2008, 11:46 AM

I'm thinking along the same lines with an ntv engine for one of my projects. Quiafe do a diff with reverese I think but it costs big money like 2000 ball park I think Not looked too hard at that, its more than I'd spend. Ural's sometimes had a reverse on their outfits. a engine with seperate gearbox can always be adapted to a car gearbox or I think Honda used to run a starter motor backwards on goldwings as a kind of reverse which is an idea that could be adapted, perhaps using a car starter motor on the drivetrain somewhere. British, pre unit engines can be linked to gearboxes from agricultural kit that has reverse and maybe tractor lawnmowers or Quad bikes could be worth looking out for down the scrappies? It's possible, but quality / compromise is down to price I'd geuss
Old 06-08-2008, 12:16 PM

ive seen trikes with a gear on the drive shaft thats operated by a car type starter motor to drive it (usually slowly) backwards. youd have to make surte the battery was up to it and the engine was running whilst you did it, but its possible. also my mate had an outfit with a reverse drive that was a small roller that was spun by a starter motor that was held against the rear tyre by pulling a lever. neither are ideal, but theyre cheaper by far than buying a reverse gear box.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:01 PM

Whilst we're on the subject of revering gearboxes, does anyone know how to tell if a ural box has this feature/ how to select reverse, as I've a ural box with an inprobable number of leavers and neither I or the person I got it off know if it has reverse. I cann't seem to select reverse when turning it by hand though all the other gears work ok.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Banned

The wifes old trike had a 2cv engine and a ural gearbox, that had a short lever on right hand side, and with the trike stationary and clutch pulled you could move the lever forward and back to select and un select reverse gear. Hope this helps.

Last edited by shaggy696969; 02-12-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:19 PM

looks line mines so I may be in luck If I get round to it then it's destined for a deisel engined one off, Hatz engine should get real good fuel economy
Old 06-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Chat Slapper

got a Quiafe diff with reverse built in on my trike and i love it just pull a lever up and i have 6 gears backwards lol
it wasnt cheap 1600 but worth it imo
only difference is mine is chain driven
Old 07-08-2008, 06:59 AM
Chat Virgin

so it looks like thers two options either a fat wallett or a clever bit of engineering think clever engineering is the way forward !!!any one got any more ideas on reverse gears (cheaply)
Old 07-08-2008, 08:15 AM

Default push it

Seems like the esiest way to move trike back is to just push it.A bike engined trike don't weigh much.

If your sticking a car motor in a trike it'll be heavy but has reverse built in.

Seems like having reverse is just another problem waiting to happen.Only time it is worth it is if you can't push it for one reason or another.

drew
Old 07-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Banned

a small starter gear on diff and a close mounted starter motor, so push a button go backwards, cheap option not as controlled as having a reverse gear but would work.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

build a 2 stroke engine trike and start it in reverse??? then stop engine, start it right direction and drive off??? LOL
Old 07-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Banned

Thats whet she was told it was when she bought the trike, Rhino trikes could give more info on this.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Chat Virgin

pushing it makes sense spose got to remember simplicity is the key coz it usually works out cheaper....oes anybody know were abouts you can get a similar rear axle clamp like the one used on the exile trike ??? other than themselves of course lol
Old 07-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyk View Post
pushing it makes sense spose got to remember simplicity is the key coz it usually works out cheaper....oes anybody know were abouts you can get a similar rear axle clamp like the one used on the exile trike ??? other than themselves of course lol
lol yep if your legs work use them
Old 08-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Chat Virgin

does anyone know of the law concerning building a trike frame from scratch? can you just use exsisting numbers/plate and stamp on new frame then re-register as a trike whilst using the exsisting engine or is it a lot more difficult than that (notings ever easy wen it involves mr goverment is it !!!!!)
Old 08-08-2008, 10:45 AM

Go to workshop forum and read the stickied thread called msva tech. You'll need to put a scratch built trike thru msva or sva depending on weight. I think 460 kilos is the target to duck under for a bike trike and msva aproval. From what you are saying so far I'm geussing you're in the same boat as me, planning first one off build on a budgett. Means you will need recipts for parts and if using second hand kit in the build you'll be getting a Q plate. Keep it simple sounds like good advice. reverse needen't be too expensive, any bike engine with seperate gearbox within reason can be plated to a car gearbox, plating kits are available for 100ish plus other options are out there like ural boxes. first step definately buy the msva manual phone number is in msva thread, first page

Last edited by matthewmosse; 08-08-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Been out, but rather stay in!

A scratch built frame get's needs an MSVA, it get's issued with it's own number.

Stamping the VIN number from something else onto a frame is a criminal offense. Doesn't matter why you did it, it's still an offense.