100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 30-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Need to Get out More!

Default How often do you get pulled while riding these days then?

Thought popped into my head reading the Bulldog thread, but I didn't want to derail it so I thought I'd ask here instead.

Just wondering if there is still regular random pulling of bikes for trivial reasons (or no reason at all) and if so what you think triggers it? Or do you maybe get pulled often but mostly deserve it?

I've not been riding long compared to most of you (only 4 years since I passed my test, just over 2 years on the 100 before that) and despite having a number of different bikes in that time and going to all the local biker "meets" often as well as rallies big and small I've never been pulled for anything. (Yet. Touches wood)

The OH has only been pulled once since I've known him, last year by an arsey bike copper who couldn't prove he was speeding, couldn't find anything else illegal about him or his bike so pulled out a little guage and gave him a 30 ticket for having the letters on his plate (not the plate itself mind, just the letters) too small - by 2mm............

He reckons in the 70s & 80s him & his mates used to get pulled all the time, for all sorts of reasons.

Is it cos we are now both old, look reasonably respectable and ride bikes that aren't extreme in any way? Are bikers still the soft target that they used to be? Tell me about your experiences..........
Old 30-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

In 20 odd years only once,for doing 85 in a 60 zone (got away with a talking-to).It is probably more by luck than judgement tho'......
Old 30-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Jedi Chat Master

I used to get pulled all the fucking time, cars and bikes. Mainly cos I was riding/driving like a twat tho tbh.

I think this ANPR nonsense has stopped alot of the bullshit stops.
Old 30-07-2008, 07:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to Kylie

Once in the car (mazda 626 company car) when i was 19, looked about 12, and they refused to believe i was old enough to drive!

Twice on the bike, once recently because i took off from a roundabout but wasn't breaking the speed limit, just opened her up a bit quick and the copper was bored. The other time just cos i was in a powerranger area on a Sunday afternoon and they do like to tug you for no reason
Old 30-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Been pulled once in over 10 yrs of riding trikes, that was when I was pulling out of my garden, copper asked why I wasnt wearing a crash helmet!

when I replied 'i don't need one' he says 'your passengers don't - but you do!

sums it up really.......

Old 30-07-2008, 08:25 PM
Chatter Box

once in tn years, for overtaking on double white lines.

just got a ticking off, cop said he wouldn't issue a ticket as I didn't actually cross the white lines and I was overtaking an old duffer doing 20mph on a 50mph road. (was doing about 60 though)
Old 30-07-2008, 08:28 PM

You're perfectly entitled to overtake so long as you don't cross a solid white line...
Old 30-07-2008, 08:30 PM

This is probably tempting fate......................

..............The last time was in 1974(ish) for riding "aggressively" through Stroud.
At 1230 at night.
On a BSA C15.
Going home from a rock'n'roll gig.
With a few pints inside me.
With a back light that would only work when the engine was flat out.
Without any L plates. (Hadn't passed my test yet.)

Copper just told me to ride "a bit steady" through towns at night.

It isn't the journey or the destination ........it's who you ride it with.
Old 30-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

never in all my days (i`m a good lad see). VOSA nearly all the time in me truck though.
oobyscoot, acording to my riding instuctor it is not illegal to overtake on a road with double white lines but it is if you cross them.
Old 30-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Chat Virgin

Don`t think i`ve been pulled in the last 10 years , did get stopped 3 times in a week when i was 19 , by the same bike copper , after i got gobby the first time he stopped me , Probably half a dozen times in 30 years of riding . Ramblings of a newbie , evening all
Old 30-07-2008, 08:41 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie View Post
You're perfectly entitled to overtake so long as you don't cross a solid white line...
Yep, thats what the copper said. Apparently I scared the shit out of the old duffer and thats why he pulled me. No ticket, no checks, he didn't even look over the bike, just a bit of advice. One of them smile and nod, say "no problem officer" and carry on home.

I have had bikes with knackered brakes, buggered bearings, even one with a 2 broken welds on the frame, but dont get pulled cos I have a standard size number plate. Go figure......

Both me bikes are perfectly roadworthy now though.

Last edited by Oobyscoot; 30-07-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 30-07-2008, 08:43 PM

Twice in 28 years
Old 30-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Chatter Box

Only once about 20 years ago on my KH for not having my feet on the pegs - I'd been stretching my legs!!!

Pulled me over, walked over to the bike and said "Take your helmet off sonny", so I did and I think he was a bit surprised. Just warned me of the dangers of my feet getting caught in the chain or back wheel - think he must have thought I was a contortionist.
Old 30-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Chatter Box

Twice in 3 years of riding so far,

Once when i was 19 on my 125 rat at 4 in the morning, about a couple months after passing my test, usual said i had no licence, tax mot, insurance. so i said i have, - 'well according to the computer you haven't', a computer can't be wrong? got a producer.

And the other time me and my mate on our rats (me on my BMW) pulled us, dug right into my mates bike which was all legal, had one look at mine and seen the BMW badge and left it alone
Old 30-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Chatter Box

Only once, whilst riding a sofa!!!!

SOMEBODY borrowed my bike despite no licence etc.
Last thing I said as he left was "Don't get a ticket".
Thirty quid and three poxy points on an otherwise clean licence.
Old 30-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

I used to keep copies of my receipts from 'producers'!
Run out of room tho! lol
I used to get 1 or 2 a week in Ammanford, more in Llandeilo,
Llanelli was fucking ridiculous, You'd show them the producer you had from Loughour, the same morning, And they would say 'Different force mate'. Yet you could still produce both requests at 1 station!
A hundred miles away!

FTP
Dai
Old 30-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Chatter Box

once so far this year on this ...

copper seemed to think it was dangerous having no rear mudguard to protect pedestrians

twice last year on this ...

first time was a bit of a telling off as he hadn't actually managed to clock my speed (damned lucky) the second time (two weeks later) a plain clothes car got me on camera and cost me three points

and at least twice the year before on this ...

random roadside check the first time, second time was to warn me there had been a diesel spillage just down the road
Old 31-07-2008, 12:47 AM
Chat Virgin

They've left me alone round here after two green coppers pulled me on my 850 rat.
First thing they said was 'Is it legal?'.
I raised an eyebrow at them and said 'If it wasn't legal do you think I would have bothered stopping for a panda car?'
They got the hump and tried to find nonexistent faults with it (including struggling to pull the front brake lever halfway to the bars then telling me my 'brakes were going' )then they tried telling me that my 1979 bike didn't meet type approval.
I told them the Construction and Use regs,MOT regs along with what Type Approval applies to and then told them I fancied making them look an arse in court and invited them to book me for the 'faults'.

They got back in their car and drove off. Didn't even get a producer
Old 31-07-2008, 05:01 AM
Chatter Box

Ive been pulled over 5 or 6 times on bikes over the last 28 years mainly for riding like a t*"t, always managed to get out of it so far i think my closest call was coming out of a motorway services at 2am on my gs1000, apparently the copper clocked me at 102mph on the sliproad

when i first bought my vauxhall caviler i must have been pulled 20 times in the first 2 weeks, until i made a complaint to the cheif constable, the reason was the number plate XLX234X, had that car for 6 years & every time i went into another county i carried a notebook & pen to write down the details every copper who stoped me, managed half a dozen pages before i sold it
Old 31-07-2008, 08:02 AM

Was always getting pulled in the early 80's, a bunch of us going around on our 250's There was also a scooter group in the Guildford area and apparently they used to get chased by bikes....old bill were always pulling us and them....

Last time I got pulled was just outside Prague...no way was we speeding but I aint stoopid, no way am I going to argue the toss with a copper with a gun The money was clearly going in his back pocket with the on the spot fine....we did ask for a receipt, very politley! No receipt but he did give us some of the money back and sent us on our way. He must have made a fortune that day as we were on our way to a rally and as it turns out he was stopping bikes all day and fining them on the spot.

www.freewebs.com/capitalwings
Old 31-07-2008, 08:32 AM

Bigbod I think you'll find thats the tourist fine - common in Spain too! Described to me by a Spanish mate as "if you can't speak the language well enough to argue your point we'll fine you"
Old 31-07-2008, 09:31 AM

Can we have one of those here, then they could cut taxes. Tink of all the fines the chav's Poles and welsh would have to pay
Old 31-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Bigbod I think you'll find thats the tourist fine - common in Spain too! Described to me by a Spanish mate as "if you can't speak the language well enough to argue your point we'll fine you"
i got a pull about 7 years ago down here when i crossed the herringbones at a sliproad when filtering. i didnt see the civil guard till the last moment because of a van in the line of traffic on the slip road.
after waving my tabloid sized old driving license around, and speaking the worst spanish i could muster, they let me go without a ticket.

in the last 4 years, the chances of getting a pull have been slight, due to 25% of my clients being nacional and municipal police, guardia civil, and G.E.Os.

get extra patrols past the shop at night as well due to this
Old 31-07-2008, 09:50 AM

Friends in high places is always handy
Old 31-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

4 Times in 25 years.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 31-07-2008, 10:08 AM

Twice since 1987, my 50 ran out of petrol, as it had no reserve I used to carry some sealed in a agricultural chemical bottle in the top box. I filled it up in a pub car park and pulled out with the engine still not running cleanly down a road with a poor surface. Didn't realise there was a Police car coming and they put 10:30pm, pub car park and erratic riding together to come up with DD, I didn't help because when they stopped me and said "have you been drinking" I said "yes 2 cups of coffee".

They spent 20 minutes going over the bike (Honda CP50 pedal to start push rod 50) and my documents but couldn't get me on anything as I was 100% legal.

The other time was about 92 on a 250 Superdream by a copper with a hairdryer hiding behind a caravan just inside a 40 limit with the sign hidden in a hedge. Luckily as I was being told off for 56mph an Opel Manta went flying past ,so they jumped in the car to give chase saying they had clocked my number and not to do it again
Old 31-07-2008, 10:10 AM

South of France is a good place for getting stopped. Been stopped a few times. They are pretty relaxed about wearing lids down there so I don't generally bother The rule seems to be though that you must have your lid with you. Easy on the Wing, chuck em in the top box.

One of the lads forgot to take his one day. They stopped him, fined him and let his tyres down so he couldn't ride the bike

www.freewebs.com/capitalwings
Old 31-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Friends in high places is always handy
as it goes, yep.

a couple of months back, a mate who does welding for me at the shop here ran a guardia civil speed trap on his valkyrie.

they pulled him over, he took his lid off, and one of them said `oh its you, you work with erizo. keep your speed down, on your way.

he turned up here with a huge shit eating grin on his face, and very happy.
Old 31-07-2008, 10:15 AM

Had a red car a few years ago and got stopped 13 times by the local plod, for nothing (Vehicle check sir)
Other than that never, in 46 years
Old 31-07-2008, 10:23 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
Can we have one of those here, then they could cut taxes. Tink of all the fines the chav's Poles and welsh would have to pay
but us welsh were here before you immigrant english