100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 12-05-2008, 03:43 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via MSN to Kylie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav
Minxy knows more about suzukis than most folks I know, maybe she could help identify a set that would fit?
Ooh thats a point - i think it was Minxy who gave me the name of a place, something foundry - no idea whether they would help

Oh MINXY!!!!
Old 12-05-2008, 03:45 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

Robinsons Foundry?

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 12-05-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Robinsons Foundry?
Thats the one, not sure if they do new stuff or just broken stuff.. and i'm not too sure about the whole 2nd hand brake disc idea
Old 12-05-2008, 03:50 PM

New stuff.

http://www.robinsonsfoundry.co.uk/

Old 12-05-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Ooh you clever little googler you
Old 12-05-2008, 03:57 PM

Found this as well which suggests that the same disc fits several models, which does give you a little more scope when looking for a bargain.

Discs

Old 12-05-2008, 03:58 PM

Very interesting! Shall go hunting bandit discs and see if they're cheaper

bloody bikes....
Old 12-05-2008, 05:07 PM

Late to the fold, sorry I paid 50 for a set of part worn B6 disks just a couple of months back (Got B6 wheels in me slabby) I'll see what I can find for you. Keep your eyes peeled on ebay hun.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:09 PM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Suzuki-Bandit-...QQcmdZViewItem

Keep them there on watch innit
Old 12-05-2008, 05:26 PM

On watch list but will be at Creatures when they come to an end so won't get them

Thanks Minxy, will keep an eye out for bandit ones
Old 12-05-2008, 05:51 PM

Chuck a bid on up to what you're prepared to pay - if they go for more than that, wasnt meant to be. I'll keep an eye on the auction from work on Saturday if that helps at all? We'll be at The Plough briefly Friday and as darned early as we can get away on Saturday!
Old 12-05-2008, 05:57 PM

Just put a post up on oldskoolsuzuki for ya too. See what comes up from there.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:02 PM

Cheers Minxy, will ring my grandpa now and see if i can get some cash from him - otherwise i can't afford to pay for them! Going to have to be done tho cos i've got no chance of getting it through an MOT as it is, not to mention the issue of the fact the disc might not be safe!
Old 12-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie
Not sure what to do about the bloody tyre tho.
Get it replaced, pronto.

If it goes it'll deck you quicker than Bambi on ice.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid
Get it replaced, pronto.

If it goes it'll deck you quicker than Bambi on ice.
Can't afford a new tyre, its only 9 months old! The manufacturer are looking at it to see whats wrong with it.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:55 PM

Kylie, before you start buying discs that you might not need, get someone else to look at them for you, how many miles has the bike done? I'm sure your discs looked ok when I saw them (mind you if you have let the pads go to the metal then.......) I would still look for another reason for the rattle.

Free the binary 10
Old 12-05-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro
Kylie, before you start buying discs that you might not need, get someone else to look at them for you, how many miles has the bike done? I'm sure your discs looked ok when I saw them (mind you if you have let the pads go to the metal then.......) I would still look for another reason for the rattle.
Keep up Pyro - been looked at by mechanic lady this afternoon - definitely 100% fooked!

And no the pads are fine, still got meat left on them
Old 13-05-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Right, the nice man took me to see the nice professional lady who says - left hand one knackered needs replacing, right hand one "totally goosed". Also noticed front tyre has started to perish and thats not very old! (about 6-9 months), and rear wheel bearing has gone cos the rear wheel has too much movement - that she didnt seem AS bothered about, she said it was only a little bit.

Also need to get some exhaust tape round that hole before MOT she says.

Very nice lady.

So.. they've quoted me 247.99 for genuine suzuki discs (cheaper than the pattern), and 2 sets of new pads to go with the shiny new discs. Seems reasonable to be honest.

Lady said she could fit them for me, but as was said before by them - if she hits upon a problem with getting bolts out etc then could end up paying money for nothing, so probably do them myself (under supervision of course).

Not sure what to do about the bloody tyre tho.
I'll check out what I can do on the brake discs for you when I get to the shop in the morning Kylie. Drakens price sounds pretty good.

As for the tyre? Every tyre sold in the UK must be "E" marked and will also have the date of manufacture embossed into the side wall near the bead. It will say something like 25/07, which means that the tyre in my example would have been manufactured in the 25th week of 2007. Tyres deteriorate if they are not stored correctly. They should be kept in the cool and dark. Being a natural material they are affected by sunlight. Manufacturers claim thier tyres have a shelf life of five years.

Check the date stamp on your front tyre and if it is less than five years old, have a word with the people that supplied it. If you get no joy with them, talk directly with the UK supplier/importer. It would strengthen your case if you still have the receipt to prove the date you purchased the tyre. The tread wear will indicate your milage and riding style. The real experts will know if you have been riding like a loonie.

I had a serious tyre perishing problem with a set of tyres on a 4X4 kit car. Tyres had done about 500 miles and they were knackered. I tried to contact the tyre dealer and they had gone bust.The main reason they went bust is because of all the defective tyres they sold. They got hit with massive fines for doing it. I spoke to the manufacturer, they sent a bloke out to check the tyres, two hours later they sent a mobile tyre fitter out to replace the whole set free of charge.

Grav is right about doing the whole job in one go. If you have or know someone that has the right tools, it is not rocket science, but you do need to make sure it is all done properly.

Hope this helps.

Chopper.

WELCOME TO GREAT BRITAIN.
WE ARE FULL UP, SO FUCK OFF.
Old 13-05-2008, 06:24 AM

the prices i quoted are for pattern discs, add to that 2 sets of pads plus the shipping to kylie and the prices shes been quoted for genuine parts works out very good.

but i'm always left wondering about how many companies are there that actually make things like brake discs.

and how many pattern parts are in fact genuine parts with just a name left off.

there was a shortage of family choice biscuits when mcvitties got flooded,

okay a chocolate digestive would make a crap brake disc i know
Old 13-05-2008, 07:21 AM

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracken1
but i'm always left wondering how many pattern parts are in fact genuine parts with just a name left off.

there was a shortage of family choice biscuits when mcvitties got flooded,

okay a chocolate digestive would make a crap brake disc i know
Well I know the supermarket own brand stuff comes from the same factories as the similar leading brand stuff.

As for buscuits, I know Foxes deep freeze theirs for several weeks to improve the flavour, seems someone accidentally shipped a load from wakefield to a cold store in scunthorpe, and after several months someone discovered the cockup and the QC folks tested em and discovered the improved flavour.
so now they all get chilled before you lot get to dunk em

Now if Kylies was to deep freeze a couple of hobnobs and use them, I wonder if her brakes would improve
Old 13-05-2008, 07:50 AM

Dracken I'm not bothered whether they're suzuki or not tbh, so long as they're good quality. The bloke in the shop said the japanese pattern ones he was pretty certain were suzuki with the name left off, but for some reason the suzuki ones were cheaper.

Am keeping an eye on that set on evilbay, might see if my boss will bid on them while i'm at Creatures for me. If I can get them cheap enough then i will go with them, if not back to plan A!
Old 13-05-2008, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peirre O`bollox
Now if Kylies was to deep freeze a couple of hobnobs and use them, I wonder if her brakes would improve
i have already proved that while my discs might be bolloxed I can still stop WAY quicker than you, so button it.
Old 13-05-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperFXR
I'll check out what I can do on the brake discs for you when I get to the shop in the morning Kylie. Drakens price sounds pretty good.

As for the tyre? Every tyre sold in the UK must be "E" marked and will also have the date of manufacture embossed into the side wall near the bead. It will say something like 25/07, which means that the tyre in my example would have been manufactured in the 25th week of 2007. Tyres deteriorate if they are not stored correctly. They should be kept in the cool and dark. Being a natural material they are affected by sunlight. Manufacturers claim thier tyres have a shelf life of five years.

Check the date stamp on your front tyre and if it is less than five years old, have a word with the people that supplied it. If you get no joy with them, talk directly with the UK supplier/importer. It would strengthen your case if you still have the receipt to prove the date you purchased the tyre. The tread wear will indicate your milage and riding style. The real experts will know if you have been riding like a loonie.

I had a serious tyre perishing problem with a set of tyres on a 4X4 kit car. Tyres had done about 500 miles and they were knackered. I tried to contact the tyre dealer and they had gone bust.The main reason they went bust is because of all the defective tyres they sold. They got hit with massive fines for doing it. I spoke to the manufacturer, they sent a bloke out to check the tyres, two hours later they sent a mobile tyre fitter out to replace the whole set free of charge.

Grav is right about doing the whole job in one go. If you have or know someone that has the right tools, it is not rocket science, but you do need to make sure it is all done properly.

Hope this helps.

Chopper.
I have gone directly to manufacturers for the simple reason that the place i got it from is fecking useless. The manufacturer were involved with the rear tyre problem which was caused by them putting the wrong tyre on - it was underrated for the bike. I'm on my third rear tyre in a year, but the one which is on now is a radial instead of the cross ply they put on, and is suitable for the bike...

Not sure what the outcome of the front tyre will be - they will ring me today or email no doubt. Can't afford a front tyre unless i get the brake discs off ebay for cheap. End of the day if i can get the discs done before MOT, then the tyre can get done later, the mechanic said it was starting to perish, but it was ok for a bit. The manufacturer are horrified with the word perish because that type of tyre hasnt been around long enough to perish unless its been kept wrong, or its got a manufacturing fault. If I have to pay 10 for fitting to save me the hassle of trying to do it myself, then its probably worth it.
Old 13-05-2008, 10:21 AM

Right

Tyre being replaced next week by bike shop in Leeds rather than the cowboys that fitted it originally. Also getting valves replaced at least on the front because it would seem that might be where i'm losing pressure from... as soon as he mentioned to check whether the valves were the right rating for the tyre it rang alarm bells...

Manufacturer are replacing the tyre, i just need to pay for fitting balancing and valves, way more than i was expecting. Their testing chaps apparently were of the opinion its nowt to worry about, but the bloke i've been dealing with didn't like the idea of me riding round with a cracked tyre so he's decided to replace it.
Old 13-05-2008, 11:12 AM

That's a damn good result, Kylie. Can you blag me a free set of tyres too?

As soon as you get the discs and pads I will pop over and we will sort them out.

Old 13-05-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
That's a damn good result, Kylie. Can you blag me a free set of tyres too?

As soon as you get the discs and pads I will pop over and we will sort them out.
I'm buying a lottery ticket this weekend - so far this week i've had a free replacement bra from bravissimo to replace the one that was 3 months old and the underwire popped out and poked my armpit, and a free replacement tyre which was 9 months old and cracked...

I can bring it to you if you like? (assuming it still has MOT left on it of course)

So... what you doing bank holiday weekend Uncle Grav?
Old 13-05-2008, 11:17 AM

Bank Holiday Weekend Mrs Grav has invited her cousin and family to stay. There will be ten of us all huddled together in my ikkle house so I will come to you. I will be glad of the peace and quiet.

Old 13-05-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Bank Holiday Weekend Mrs Grav has invited her cousin and family to stay. There will be ten of us all huddled together in my ikkle house so I will come to you. I will be glad of the peace and quiet.
Wicked Saturday OK with you? Then I can *ahem* wear the new discs in on the Sunday (again assuming the MOT runs out when I think it does)
Old 13-05-2008, 11:29 AM

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

Who needs lucky Heather from the pikeys

just get a kylie
Old 13-05-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Wicked Saturday OK with you? Then I can *ahem* wear the new discs in on the Sunday (again assuming the MOT runs out when I think it does)
Sorted.