100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Trike Magazine

Notices

Old 11-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Chatter Box

Default Trike newbie questions

Just in the process of finishing a Kawasaki z1300 trike that was pro built years ago but not so well looked after
I have so far taken out the xs 650 front end and replaced it with the upside down front end from a zxr 750 and resprayed it and generally tidied it up by putting better rear lights(had god awful trailer lights in) different bars etc and am sorting out a scratch built stainless exhaust system too
Trike is registered as a 1979 z1300 kawasaki tricycle

Now what i need to to know from you knowledgeable chaps on here is

Do i need Hazard warning lights

Do i use a bike or car sized number plate

Got twin headlights do i use one for dip and one for main or can i have both on each

Do i need to wear a helmet

That will do for now
Any help you can give is good as i have read a few books and rules etc and am now more confused than ever

Will post pics when i manage to get them of my poxy phone
Cheers for your help
Old 11-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Banned

Well done

Yes

Either would be legal

You can have both on both

No but recomended on motorways, a flying stone kicked up will go straight through a skull

NO rules as such just as with anything start slowly get used to it ..........
Old 11-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Chatter Box

Cheers for the quick reply
Was more bothered about the legality of the helmet issue as i intend to wear a helmet anyway but it was more just to take my kids round the block on the back and not have to go hunting there helmets out if they weren't needed

Don't suppose anyone has a diagram for the inner working of a reliant back axle as my diff is completely fubar
Cheers again
Old 11-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Chatter Box

The afore mentioned trike ,work in progress
Old 12-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Nik

Looks nice.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Chatter Box

Its not a very good picture as the paintwork has been flatted off so i can put a few coats of lacquer over the stickers on the mudguards ,the back wheels are only on so i can roll it round the unit if required (got a choice of 3 different sets of Porsche wheels )
Got a set of rear wheels off my old 911 that may go on but i am a bit worried they will make the trike hard to get round corners (run wide) as they are 15 inches wide
and take a 345/35/15 tyre or i could put some 245/45/17s off my beachbuggy on

Does anybody know where i can get cheap 330 wide bike tyres as seen on a lot of pro build chops ,i know taylormade wheels do the conversions but the tyres are a fortune which is a shame coz they would allow me to have the wide wheels but not a huge contact area so stopping the trike wanting to go straight on and no aquaplaning in the wet
Old 25-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Chatter Box

Looking a bit better now
Need to get the avon 300/40/17 tyres on and it'll be almost done
Old 27-05-2008, 12:29 AM
Chat Slut

Hi and welcome mate always nice to see more trikers, ive gotta say thats a great looking trike and looks like your making worthwhile improvements, one question though are you fitting a disc break convertion if not i think you'll have fun stopping with those wheels, as reliant drums are a bit crap lol
Old 27-05-2008, 05:31 AM
Chatter Box

Will probably fit discs on the back when i have a few quid spare but just getting on the road asap as i am going on a 750 mile trip round Scotland on it this friday and it aint mot'd yet (need to find somebody in Carlisle or thereabouts to do it)
Went to get the 300/40/17 tyres fitted today and the useless git tyre fitter fucked one of the tyres managed to snap the bead clean in two )
Old 27-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Chatter Box

Will use my usual criteria ie if the brakes scare the **** out of me it will get discs if not it wont and too be honest correctly adjusted drums shouldn't be any worse than discs and standard z1300 brakes weren't exactly fantastic
No doubt my first ride on the trike will be an eye opener or an arsehole clencher but either way i'm sure it will get my heart going
Old 27-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Chat Slapper

Hope your first ride's both!
Old 27-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Chat Slut

yeah but the drums were designed for 10" wheels not 17"
Old 27-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

No requirement for a crash hat - sorry that's all I know for definate ... but I would recommend decent clothing and at least moderate protection - loose stones on the road/insects etc still hurt when they hit!!

All women are born evil. Some just realise their potential later in life than others.
Old 27-05-2008, 09:11 PM
Need to Get out More!

Nice trike there, hope you got a wheelie bar!
Bodge
Old 27-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Chat Virgin

mate as u aint got much experience riding a trike i would say that u wear a skid lid for the 1st time u take her out and deff if on the M roads. i was doing 70mph on the M2 and a stone flipped up and hit my lid. left a bloody great chip in it. if i had'nt been wearing it that stone would have taken my face off. plus just take it easy and enjoy.
Old 28-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Chatter Box

Cheers for the kind words about my trike pleased you like it

I will be wearing a helmet at all times on the trike coz as it has been pointed out a stone chip on a windscreen is hole in the head when you're on a trike(aint got much brains but i would rather have them on the inside)

I am expecting this trike to be a bit strange to ride but hopefully 25 years of experience on bikes will help there

On the brakes front i am hoping the two discs on the front will make up for the crappy little drums and big (but very light) wheels on the back but i will just have to be careful and ride within the limits dictated by the brakes

I have a set of Porsche 944 four pot calipers and discs sitting in the garage mmm wonder if i could get them to fit over the standard reliant drum then i would only need to make a caliper mounting bracket and i could just use the reliant drum as the handbrake (which by the sound of it is about all its good for)
Old 28-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

On the brakes front i am hoping the two discs on the front will make up for the crappy little drums and big (but very light) wheels on the back but i will just have to be careful and ride within the limits dictated by the brakes

I have a set of Porsche 944 four pot calipers and discs sitting in the garage mmm wonder if i could get them to fit over the standard reliant drum then i would only need to make a caliper mounting bracket and i could just use the reliant drum as the handbrake (which by the sound of it is about all its good for)[/QUOTE]

You will be fine with the drums on the back, im running lada axle with standard drums, 265 tyres, no servo, brakes operated by right hand master cyl on the bars, and that stops a 13ft V6 ford engined trike (not light by any sense of the word)

The key is to keep the rear brakes 100%, adjust regularly, change fluid yearly helps too!

If you want to go for discs on your reliant, use vented vauxhall ones, and nissan calipers, (tried & tested)
Old 28-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Chatter Box

teeeheeee I have no front brake at all, saves all that palava.
Old 28-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Chatter Box

Why will i lose the front end under braking (lock the front end up) i can understand it if it was a rear engined trike or something of that nature(all the weight behind the axle) but this is just a z1300 with two wheels at the back surely the front end just works as it would in a bike
Old 29-05-2008, 11:29 AM

you should be ok with the fromt brakes, only ever had a problem locking up on a vw engined trike in the wet
Old 02-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Chatter Box

Finally got the the trike into a rideable condition and took it up the road and fuck me it's awful the steering is unbelievably heavy and i could bearly get the thing to turn.
Questions
1 Could the heavy steering be down to the fact i have flat drag style bars with zero pullback that are giving me no leverage or is it something more serious

2 Do all trikes similar to mine have fairly heavy steering

3 Where would i get a set of wide bars (beachbars ) with a bit of pullback built in (quite like the ones that have the risers built in and form a v at the front but all seem to be 1" ones for Harleys)
Old 02-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmeister View Post
Finally got the the trike into a rideable condition and took it up the road and fuck me it's awful the steering is unbelievably heavy and i could bearly get the thing to turn.
Questions
1 Could the heavy steering be down to the fact i have flat drag style bars with zero pullback that are giving me no leverage or is it something more serious

2 Do all trikes similar to mine have fairly heavy steering

3 Where would i get a set of wide bars (beachbars ) with a bit of pullback built in (quite like the ones that have the risers built in and form a v at the front but all seem to be 1" ones for Harleys)
Yup its a shock to the system huh......

The steering will be down to 2 things Geometry and handlebars, the geometry is a twat to play with but the bars will change things big time, I bought pullback z bars from a chap deals on ebay bythe name billy the kid he makes em in the US, reasonable too as you can see fromthe attached pic they give a good width and good pullback, and believe me they made a big difference The mrs reckoned it was like having power steering on it compared to before. The other option is to have stepped out slabs wich adjust the trail or leading link wich IMHO look crap.

Last edited by shaggy696969; 02-12-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Chatter Box

If it feels anything like riding a combo, basically shaking its head. I fitted a pair of Yammy us custom bars and a kwak steering damper. It worked.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Chatter Box

Its hard to describe really but if you have ever ridden a motorbike when the steering head bearings are too tight thats what its like (Mine aren't)
It also felt a bit like the back left brake was binding ie wanted to run towards the kerb (it wasn't binding) but that may be just be coz the steering was iffy
Old 02-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Banned

The stiff steering shouldnt make the bike run one way or another, that would be down to alignment, make sure all 3 wheels are true, you only need run off in one to throw it out.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:16 PM
Chatter Box

The road camber wont have helped with the running towards the left and i know the wheels are all running true because i checked when i fitted the zxr750 forks and yokes
The headstock angle isn't too far off standard (may be standard)
The trike has been a trike for at least 8 years and probably a lot longer so it should have had any problems ironed out a long time ago although when i got it it did have an awful set of high pull back bars fitted (i'll refit them and try it)
Old 02-06-2008, 06:16 PM

Camber in the road does not help, try and find a nice flat carpark and see what happens on there, as others have said, fit a steering damper and try some wider bars, also you could try a fron tyre with a flatter section, failing all that, fit a set of leading link forks (drastic, but transforms the handling of a trike)

Just remember though, trikes are nothing like riding a bike, may be worth getting an experienced trike rider to take your trike out for a spin, it may be that you are just used to the handling of a bike
Old 02-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Banned

What forks were on it before, and how do they compare length wise, changing the length makes the steering steeper/heavier check this maybe you need longer forks to get it to what it was, and a flat road really does help. Dont give up its a prety trike and needs to be sorted. I wpuld much rather go for Tiller style bars over Leading link (bloody awful looking)
Old 02-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Chatter Box

This isn't a lack of experience on a trike problem i think its alot more serious than that coz it took me all my strength (and i'm fairly strong) to get the thing to turn at all ,a set of bars will help no end i am sure and i have got new steering head bearings ordered coz maybe we have damaged a roller with taking the front end out loads of times
Gonna check everything over and fit the bars that came with it and see if it is any better
Old 03-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Banned

Did you check your fork length/wheel height, ie if you had the original Z1300 forks and wheel set up previously then the steering geometry will have been dramatically altered by puting shorter forks and a smaller diameter wheel in. In that case you will need to lengthen the forks or step the Yokes to ake up for the shortfall. Plus the handlebar swap and all will come right.