100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 03-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Default Round Wales trip update

Well my round wales trip is planned for May this year..If anyone wants to ride along for any part of it, or can advise me of places that I shouldn't miss, or wants me to call in for a cuppa, please put your two pennyworth in...Here's the map and itinerary

Tredegar, Newport, Swansea, Llanelli, Carmarthen, Laugharne, Red Roses, Saundersfoot, Tenby, Pembroke, Haverfordwest, St Davids Cathedral, Fishguard, Cardigan, Aberaeron, Devils Bridge, Dyffryn-castell, Aberystwyth, Borth, Ynyslas, Tre’ddol, Machynlleth, Tywyn, Minffordd, Cross Foxes, Bala, Ffestiniog, Trawsfynydd, Barmouth, Portmeirion, Maentwrog, Rhiwbryfdir, Betws-y-coed, Capel Curig, Pont Pen-y-benglog, Pentir, Pen-y-Gwryd, Beddgelert, Garreg, Tremadoc, Llanbedrog, Aberdaron, Pontllyfni, Caernarfon, Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Bangor, near Conwy, Colwyn Bay, Rhyl, Prestatyn, Mold, Wrexham, Ruthin, Gwyddelwern, Maerdy, Cerrigydrudion, Clawdde-newydd, Denbigh, Bylchau, Bryneglwys, A452 Horseshoe pass, Llangollen, Oswestry, Welshpool, Four Crosses, Mallwyd, Plas Llysyn, Newtown, Felindre, Evenjob, Rhayader, Elan Village, Llanwrthwl, Llandrindod Wells, Builth Wells, Brecon, Abergavenny, Monmouth, Chepstow, Newport, Tredegar.

should be fun... John

Last edited by John Hopkins; 06-03-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Need to Get out More!

Where are you going to be stopping for your overnights John, and what dates?

May well pop along to say hello and share a couple of beers while you are up in the North if we're free cos we're not a million miles away...........
Old 03-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

My first night should find me somewhere near Aberystwyth, my second somewhere around Caernarfon, and my third night around Oswestry..then home to bed...but as I shall be taking photographs of everything that will stand still long enough I will need good weather and may stay an extra night somewhere if I have to...and because I am relying on the weather I dont have a firm departure date yet.. John
Old 04-03-2008, 07:24 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Good luck John

You might find This useful...

Free the binary 10
Old 04-03-2008, 09:19 AM
Need to Get out More!

Cool. Will look out for updates then!

Are you doing this on the 'max? have you taken out another mortgage for the petrol?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambabe
Cool. Will look out for updates then!

Are you doing this on the 'max? have you taken out another mortgage for the petrol?
I don't know..I'm going to sell the GT but I can't decide whether to do this trip on it first, I would like to use the Vmax but if it got stolen it would break my heart, I would be able to shrug off the loss of the GT and it will do much better milage...It's over 1000 miles of lone riding through wild and unexplored territory under constant threat from speed cameras and wild pigs... John
Old 04-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Borg

Spare bed and tools at mine mate.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg
Spare bed and tools at mine mate.
Thank you Borg..very decent of you... John
Old 04-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins
I would like to use the Vmax but if it got stolen it would break my heart
Hi John

I see you're passing the Brecon area. You do know that the annual Vmaxchat meet at Baskerville Hall, outside Hay-on-Wye, is on in 20th June? I'm hoping to get to it this year.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Need to Get out More!

Looks like a good run that John, when u get to carmarthen if i can be of any help jst let me know, there is a lovely coastal run from carmarthen to pembrokshire via pendine, saundersfoot, tenby, solva , st davids which will bring u back onto ur original route well worth the detour will only add about 25m to ur trip.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Out of interest John, why Wales, living there thought you would know it pretty well.
How long you planning to do the 1000miles in?
Old 04-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinster
Looks like a good run that John, when u get to carmarthen if i can be of any help jst let me know, there is a lovely coastal run from carmarthen to pembrokshire via pendine, saundersfoot, tenby, solva , st davids which will bring u back onto ur original route well worth the detour will only add about 25m to ur trip.
Thanks I've added that to the route and as you can see I've edited the itinerary... John
Old 04-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollum
Out of interest John, why Wales, living there thought you would know it pretty well.
How long you planning to do the 1000miles in?
I've lived in Scotland, England, Germany, Africa, Aden, India, New Zealand, Australia, and Wales, and travelled to or through most of the rest of the world, but in my experience as soon as I leave a place they change it, Tredegar has changed from a thriving mining town with black tips and hills as far as the eye could see to little more than a bus station and a few shops with green hills and forest in the past 20 years..but as to why Wales? because it is one of the most beautiful places in the world, and whichever part you live, there is another pretty bit just around the next corner..and the people of the valleys are the best anywhere in the world... John
Old 04-03-2008, 08:15 PM

john,

When you have the days/dates against the locations can you let us know? I'd like to catch up with you in Rhayder and the horseshoe time prmitting. .. i've just sarted a new job closer to home so it may be tricky.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
..but as to why Wales? because it is one of the most beautiful places in the world, and whichever part you live, there is another pretty bit just around the next corner..and the people of the valleys are the best anywhere in the world... John
im sure most of us could see that
theres large chunks of the south have yet to explore

Bosunsbikes.com
Old 04-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob
john,

When you have the days/dates against the locations can you let us know? I'd like to catch up with you in Rhayder and the horseshoe time prmitting. .. i've just sarted a new job closer to home so it may be tricky.
As I'm not employed the only important days to me are the days that my family need me for something, so I will probably be able to meet you almost any time but I will be coming down from the horseshoe and through Oswestry where I want to take a photo of one of my old army camps and then down to Rhayader which is a 142 miles journey..where would you be riding from..John
Old 04-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayji
im sure most of us could see that
theres large chunks of the south have yet to explore
Well if you want to spend a bit of time exploring we can find you somewhere to sleep for a couple of nights...Mind you there are 42 stairs to the spare bedrooms... John
Old 04-03-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
As I'm not employed the only important days to me are the days that my family need me for something, so I will probably be able to meet you almost any time but I will be coming down from the horseshoe and through Oswestry where I want to take a photo of one of my old army camps and then down to Rhayader which is a 142 miles journey..where would you be riding from..John

If you are going North to South then I would join you at the horseshoe pass and ride down with you as far as Rhayder, I'd pay my respects to my taid's grave. John are you a retiree?
Old 05-03-2008, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob
If you are going North to South then I would join you at the horseshoe pass and ride down with you as far as Rhayder, I'd pay my respects to my taid's grave. John are you a retiree?
Well I'm 64 and I don't have a job, but I signed on the dole four years ago and never got a job or claimed a penny, by signing on I should get my stamp paid for my pension but I'll believe that if and when it happens..so I suppose I'm a retiree..too old to work to young to stop riding..Well to be honest I find riding easier than walking...and I'll join you as you pay your respects... John
Old 06-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Chat Virgin

the black mountains in the south and the lanberris pass in the north are my two favourite rides in wales ,not sure wether they are on your route or not ,just got in from a 2000 mile trip from ipswich to lands end to john o groats and back to ipswich over 5 days ,bloody cold it was ,must be mad
Old 06-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr11981
the black mountains in the south and the lanberris pass in the north are my two favourite rides in wales ,not sure wether they are on your route or not ,just got in from a 2000 mile trip from ipswich to lands end to john o groats and back to ipswich over 5 days ,bloody cold it was ,must be mad
The Black mountains is part of the Brecon Beacons...not much in the way of roads, but I will be skirting the Beacons and Llanberis is on my route between 35 and 36 on the map or Pentir and Pen-y-Gwryd..altogether 1020 so far but as said I will be taking dozens of photos so four to five days... John