100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 07-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abb
Let me pick you up on the figures first. Surely you don't believe that 1/6th of the UK population rides bikes? (Actually, given that approx 40million people live here aged between 15-65 the percentage you suggest would be nearer 1/4 of the population.)

Secondly, what have MAG ever actually accomplished? Sure, they bang on about leg protectors and seat belts and the much vaunted 100bhp limit, but really, what have they done? The government keep throwing out these issues so MAG and BMF pick up the fight while the government push other legislation through unnoticed. Absolutely pointless organisation run by self appointed, self important, cretins.

Twenty quid? I'd rather give it to asylum seekers.
No one in office in MAG is self appointed. The organisation is run on democratic lines and every member has a vote. Officers are proposed at the AGM and any member who can be arsed to attend gets to vote on those proposals. Paid staff are appointed the creation of paid posts is decided by the national comittee which is made up of ,once again, democratically elected regional officers.

AS I mentioned in an earlier post MAG's recent sucess has been through getting onto the right committees and parliamentry groups to ensure most of the daft proposals that could be made never are because they are defeated before they ever become formalised. That in itself does cause the organisation some PR problems because this stuff never becomes news worthy and so to the uninformed it appears that MAG is doing/achieving nothing. So it has become a victim of it's own sucess.
As for a waste of twenty quid, Ive read the anual budget reports and it is amazing how far the money goes, most of the work gets done by volunteers, there are no expensive offices or company cars, every penny is made to count and any new expenditure is well scutinised.

The figure relates to the number of uk population who hold a motorcycle entitlement on their license, not the number who actually ride, ie, before a certain date anyone who had a car license could also ride a bike and most OAP's have a bike entitlement 'cause it's all they could afford.
There is no way of knowing how many active riders there are in the UK
Old 07-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abb
You are confusing MAG with the Romans, who themselves plagurised the works of the BMF.
That is because most of the BMF are older than the Romans.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Less of it you!I'm a BMF member and I've still got most of my own teeth and hair.........
Old 07-02-2008, 07:45 PM

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue
The aquaduct. Roads. Better sanitation. Medicine. Education. Irrigation. Public order...
you beat me to it............

Though its about as useful an arguement, as asking who gonna win at the Coluseum ............. the lions or the slaves

wanna give me a hand with this settee, and we can order in cake and popcorn?
As it looks like we`ll be here watching this thread for some time.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abb
Let me pick you up on the figures first. Surely you don't believe that 1/6th of the UK population rides bikes? (Actually, given that approx 40million people live here aged between 15-65 the percentage you suggest would be nearer 1/4 of the population.)

Secondly, what have MAG ever actually accomplished? Sure, they bang on about leg protectors and seat belts and the much vaunted 100bhp limit, but really, what have they done? The government keep throwing out these issues so MAG and BMF pick up the fight while the government push other legislation through unnoticed. Absolutely pointless organisation run by self appointed, self important, cretins.

Twenty quid? I'd rather give it to asylum seekers.
Hi Abb, you effin' windup merchant!!! How are you doing mate?

Sorry Jimbo, you have been done up like a kipper!!! Did that to me once at Pissed Indian Watch out for that little bugger!

Switch off TV, get a life... www.whitedot.org
Old 07-02-2008, 08:10 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Thumbs down

They might not be self appointed...but they are self opinionated, power hungry,obeyers of rules to the letter! fannybaws when stood on the gate of the farmyard in a shiny vest....jobsworth cnuts!!

If you wanna get into politics, get into politics, dinnae do it of the back of bikers, who should say f*ck you all, cos in the end you as much as the government of the time want to control us...n i ride bikes for freedom and pleasure n you n yer bloody political agenda have about as much to do with that as.... the price of beefburgers to a vegitarian....

Arseholes the lot of you in my experience....

Later
Ron
(Watching with interest!)
Old 07-02-2008, 08:11 PM

Aye but Ron,you could start a fight in an empty hoose!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie
Aye but Ron,you could start a fight in an empty hoose!
And knock his'sen out in the process!

Old 07-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Aye whatever, i just have nae time fer folk trying to control me, i suffer it at work so that i can enjoy my lifestyle.......
And thats just the way of it....
IMHO, you would be better off spending the money that you would in becoming a member of MAG (or the BMF), on buying some Support merchandise fer yer local BP Club...at least they are bikers n not middle class arseholes who think we all need to be told what to do, when n where to ride our bikes....and they do know how to throw a party!!!
Makes me sick....

Later
Ron
(in the minority as usual!!LOL)
Old 07-02-2008, 08:29 PM

Aye well,having been on the receiving end of "interest" from certain clubs I know where my money's going.
BTW I'm far from being middle class.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Chat Virgin

[QUOTE=Suzukiron]Aye whatever, i just have nae time fer folk trying to control me, i suffer it at work so that i can enjoy my lifestyle.......
And thats just the way of it....
IMHO, you would be better off spending the money that you would in becoming a member of MAG (or the BMF), on buying some Support merchandise fer yer local BP Club...at least they are bikers n not middle class arseholes who think we all need to be told what to do, when n where to ride our bikes....and they do know how to throw a party!!!
Makes me sick....

Cheers Ron,
Thats a pretty good arguement for why people should join MAG. Cause stopping people from telling us what to do is exactly what they're about!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo40
AS I mentioned in an earlier post MAG's recent sucess has been through getting onto the right committees and parliamentry groups to ensure most of the daft proposals that could be made never are because they are defeated before they ever become formalised.
Supposition. There is no evidence to support the asertion that MAG involvement on any committee has been a direct effect on any proposal that may or may not have been on the table.

Quote:
That in itself does cause the organisation some PR problems because this stuff never becomes news worthy and so to the uninformed it appears that MAG is doing/achieving nothing.
I would suspect that I am a) not uninformed and b) closer to the workings of MAG at both local and regional level than may at first appear apparent.

Quote:
As for a waste of twenty quid, Ive read the anual budget reports and it is amazing how far the money goes, most of the work gets done by volunteers, there are no expensive offices or company cars, every penny is made to count and any new expenditure is well scutinised.
I know all about the volunteers, the apathy and the absolute waste of time it all is. As for every penny being made to count, I happen to know that there is a bank account containing around 7k that should be being accounted for but isn't (or wasn't)

Quote:
The figure relates to the number of uk population who hold a motorcycle entitlement on their license, not the number who actually ride, ie, before a certain date anyone who had a car license could also ride a bike and most OAP's have a bike entitlement 'cause it's all they could afford.
There is no way of knowing how many active riders there are in the UK
Oh dear.

Did you know that there are approximately 48 million alcoholics and 50 million smokers in this country? Well, that's the amount of people who are legally allowed to do both..... As for MOST pensioners having a motorcycle entitlement as that's all they could afford.....tried and tested phrase time.....source please.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Cheers Ron,
Thats a pretty good arguement for why people should join MAG. Cause stopping people from telling us what to do is exactly what they're about!
So, MAG telling us to join MAG is the reason we should join? So we can stop people telling us what to do? I'm confused.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Jedi Chat Master

AH JIMBO...YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVE FORGOTTEN WHAT FREEWILL IS!!
Im sitting at work on a break typing this....
MAG lay down rules, and these are control measures, the muppets that might volenteer for "gate duty", are on a power trip, and thats all there is to it...they can't think for themselves or use judgement....and i have had first hand experience of that..jobsworths...

And before you have a go at me on a personal level for my views let me say this...

I used to do the demo in edinburgh...
The Farmyard was one of our major trips..
There "used to be" a MAG group in the town i live in (Used to be!)

But it was a very wise person that once said
"rules are there to be obeyed by the majority, and as guidance for the few.."
or summat like that...

Later
Ron
(Biker.... 26years legally on the road....go figure!)
Old 07-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abb
So, MAG telling us to join MAG is the reason we should join? So we can stop people telling us what to do? I'm confused.
You must be. Niether I nor anyone else from MAG has told you 'you must join'.

I'm am just making a case for doing so
Old 07-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Chat Virgin

And before you have a go at me on a personal level for my views let me say this...

Old 07-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Jedi Chat Master

WELL IN THAT CASE....CASE DISMISSED....
Costs against the plaintiff...

Later
Judge Ron
(Better than Judge Judy...!!)
Old 07-02-2008, 08:58 PM
Chat Virgin

I know all about the volunteers, the apathy and the absolute waste of time it all is. As for every penny being made to count, I happen to know that there is a bank account containing around 7k that should be being accounted for but isn't (or wasn't)

It's all very well making vague references to financial irregularrities but do they have any basis in truth?
If you think you know something of that nature then spill the beens and I will ask questions of the treasurer.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Thats a pretty good arguement for why people should join MAG.
The word SHOULD implies an order to obey. It is compulsive.

Oh and I don't do having a go at a personal level. Much more fun to ridicule the masses. Don't be so paranoid.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:05 PM

Quote:
It's all very well making vague references to financial irregularrities but do they have any basis in truth?
If you think you know something of that nature then spill the beens and I will ask questions of the treasurer.
It's not a vague reference and yes, they do have a basis in truth. As ex rep for a certain local group who run a certain local rally that makes a large profit each year, I feel entirely accurate when I suggest that no contributions had been made to central within the sphere of two events and that, at the time I stopped being rep, there was no intention to make that donation despite there being only 1 officer in the group. Now, I happen to know the officer is a trustworthy and honourable man and I would not infer that there has been or will be any impropriety on his behlaf, but I was extremely concerned that he was looking to step down and also that there was a possible rumour of a hostile take over of the group leadership which would have left the bank account open and unguarded.

And yes, I have already made this known to NC person/persons unnamed.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abb
The word SHOULD implies an order to obey. It is compulsive.

Oh and I don't do having a go at a personal level. Much more fun to ridicule the masses. Don't be so paranoid.
That was a quote from Rons post. He said that about me and I posted the confused smiley.

So easy for people to get mixed up on here like that. I was watching a thread some time ago where someone had missed a smiley that was suposed to indicate that a rather cutting remark was a joke and as a result it turned into a real bun fight.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abb
It's not a vague reference and yes, they do have a basis in truth. As ex rep for a certain local group who run a certain local rally that makes a large profit each year, I feel entirely accurate when I suggest that no contributions had been made to central within the sphere of two events and that, at the time I stopped being rep, there was no intention to make that donation despite there being only 1 officer in the group. Now, I happen to know the officer is a trustworthy and honourable man and I would not infer that there has been or will be any impropriety on his behlaf, but I was extremely concerned that he was looking to step down and also that there was a possible rumour of a hostile take over of the group leadership which would have left the bank account open and unguarded.

And yes, I have already made this known to NC person/persons unnamed.
Thanks for clearing that up. More the way individuals conducted matters than the organisation and glad to hear you don't believe there was any dirty goings on.

Cheers
Old 07-02-2008, 09:26 PM

MAG is populated by beardy, lefty hippies. No smiley. Hey Mitch

Seriously, I dislike MAG in the same way I dislike all other lobby groups.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:30 PM

Send a message via MSN to Kylie

Oi Abb - I never had a beard
Old 07-02-2008, 09:31 PM

I bet I can find 3 witnesses who would provide false evidence.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:32 PM

Send a message via MSN to Kylie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abb
I bet I can find 3 witnesses who would provide false evidence.
What are you? A chav?
Old 07-02-2008, 09:33 PM

Naw. I have won every court appearance I have had....so far.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abb
MAG is populated by beardy, lefty hippies. No smiley. Hey Mitch

Seriously, I dislike MAG in the same way I dislike all other lobby groups.
There seem to be a lot of wafty bald people as well, don't there?

Nowt to do with me mate (I'm just doing my contracted bit for the foundation now, trying to get another book out!) Right about the beards tho' - the bloke who took over from me as SE RR has a beard too!

(by the gods, two years nearly after stepping down, I'm still tarred with that damned MAG brush! )

Last edited by Mitch; 07-02-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:40 PM

I am no longer a member........ still a righty bald get though
Old 07-02-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abb
I am no longer a member........ still a righty bald get though
they'd best get yonder NE website changed then... got your grin all over it!