100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 07-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

I used to be a member and a local rep and worked on national issues for a while as well.
I still support all events put on by local mag group and give my money that way.
Would I be a member again, No, for various reasons mainly the way I got treated by the likes of NFL and Mudge just because I had a different opinion to theirs.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Nik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B
Would I be a member again, No, for various reasons mainly the way I got treated by the likes of NFL and Mudge just because I had a different opinion to theirs.
NFL? Liversausage?
Old 07-02-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik
NFL? Liversausage?
Yep thats the one, still he's old news but he did ask for reasons why not
Old 07-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Nik

Quote:
Yep thats the one, still he's old news but he did ask for reasons why not
I had a couple o' runs in wi' him over the years too.

Last one was at the Farmyard a few years back - I was wearing a Simpson lid as I went through the gate and he said to me, iratedly, 'Why don't you get a proper fucking helmet?' to which I replied 'Why don't you get fucking re-elected?'

He looked a bit shocked.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Chat Virgin

Nah. Not mine to give.

The reason I'm interested is simple, I like bikes and I like doing things my own way and not being told by some twat in parliament how I have to do things. I agree we need laws and law enforcement but that those laws are there for the protection of the public only and new laws are being made constantly that intrude into our private lives too much. There are folks out there who would ban bikes tomorrow if they could and whilst that's not going to happen, we need to be vigilant enough to stop it happening by increments. Compulsory kite marked kit today, then tomorrow it has to be day glow, then next day a power limit and sooner or later it's just another small step to banning bikes altogether.

If you agree with only a portion of that then you should be able to accept that some kind of riders rights group is a good thing for us all whether you belong to it or not.

I don't agree with everything MAG does or how it does it but I do believe that it is generally doing something that is fundamentally right and important to me so I do my bit. Part of doing my bit is to question the way and whys of MAG and to suggest ideas on how we can move forward as an organisation. To do this and to debate issues properly internally we need to be aware of the opinions of non-members, lapsed members and current members alike. In other words all bikers and even non bikers as their attitudes towards biking will affect government policy.

So I'm interested is everyone opinion on the subject and, perversely, especially that of people who have issues with the way MAG is run or goes about things.

It would be all too easy for us to sit around smugly patting one another on the back but MAG has around 11,000 individual members and as an organisation that aims to represent all of Britain's 10,000,000 bikers that's quite a low figure. Sure a lot of those may just be apathetic or part time, short term, fashion of the moment bikers, but we should be aiming for much higher membership figures to carry the organisation forward.

So all input is appreciated. Thank you.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Chatter Box

Ok you want input.
direct action. do it the way that fred hill did, defie what you think is wrong.
But no, we might get arrested.
Untill it can be seen that mag is doing some-thing that changes the way we ride bikes (in our favour) then i aint interested.
Grass roots was never the problem, N.C was the problem!
Old 07-02-2008, 04:08 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
I used to be a member and a local rep and worked on national issues for a while as well.
I still support all events put on by local mag group and give my money that way.
That's a shame Simon. Any organisation like MAG needs people of different opinions, otherwise there is no debate. It particually needs people who are active enough to turn up at AGC's and argue their corner otherwise it all gets to chummy and stuff gets voted through just because no one bothers to question it.
I've been at an AGC and after looking at a proposal on paper pretty much decided how I was going to vote but then someone has stood up and made a good arguement for the opposite side and as a result I changed my opinion.
Hope you reconsider and come back one day, we need people like you.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by growl bunnie
Ok you want input.
Untill it can be seen that mag is doing some-thing that changes the way we ride bikes (in our favour) then i aint interested.
Thanks. It's something I hear alot. The work MAG is doing on comittees is getting us results. the problem is it often gets results on issues by stopping them from becoming issues in the first place, ie. talking people out of dumb proposals before they ever become formalised.
It is recognised that this is counterproductive in terms of memberships as it attracts no publicity and the organisation is not seen to be doing much.
I agree that we do need protests/events that involve the members and raise our profile, though I'm not sure what format they should take. Of course doubt that everyone in the organisation agrees but that's what debate, and democracy are about.
Cheers for you input, please consider joining up again and rattling the cage from the inside..
Old 07-02-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by growl bunnie
Ok you want input.
What pīssed me off was the time of the Fred Hill run in London a couple of years ago... started from the Ace Cafe and ended up on some Bridge in London. The old bill who were helping us to marshall it laid down the law straight off. Anyone without helmets would be nicked. Even though they were marshalling a run, there was still time for'em to nick folk without tax, etc.

I nowadays prefer to do things my own way... a more direct approach...

I was always under the impression - when I was on the NC - that the NC came from the members... sometimes I wasn't sure though...

Jimbo... out of interest, how long have you been involved with MAG then?

One thing I think MAG ought to look into, is how to sort out apathy in its branches (admittedly not all over the country) - this is my experience - where a meeting would entail everyone sitting round gassing in a pub and nothing else. No ride-outs, no protests, sod all and if you try to get something going, you get told to sod off!

Switch off TV, get a life... www.whitedot.org

Last edited by Mitch; 07-02-2008 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:58 PM
Chat Virgin

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch
What pīssed me off was the time of the Fred Hill run in London a couple of years ago... started from the Ace Cafe and ended up on some Bridge in London. The old bill who were helping us to marshall it laid down the law straight off. Anyone without helmets would be nicked. Even though they were marshalling a run, there was still time for'em to nick folk without tax, etc.

I nowadays prefer to do things my own way...

I was always under the impression - when I was on the NC - that the NC came from the members... sometimes I wasn't sure though...

Jimbo... out of interest, how long have you been involved with MAG then?
Been a member for a few years but not an active one. Started going to meetings about three years ago and then started up a group about ten months back when I was asked if I would by the Regional Rep as part of MAG's drive to increase membership.
So relatively new blood on the active/political side, reckon I just got to a point when I couldn't ignore the issues any longer.
Try not to be too political though as I don't have the time to see it through properly and I hate admin, so I'm doing what I can by recruiting new members and getting you lot to think about it.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:01 PM

Send a message via MSN to Kylie

I used to be in Bradford MAG, in fact at one point I was the secretary - no-one had any training, no-one seemed to really know what they were doing apart from Bel, who really did try her best to do stuff. Not sure if they're still running or not.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:04 PM

Bradford is still going, last I heard...

Old 07-02-2008, 05:11 PM

Been a MAG and BMF member (belt'n'braces approach) for the last 20-odd years.Don't always agree with everything either organisation sez,but without them I reckon it'd doubtful we'd be able to ride anything bigger than a 50cc twist'n'go.
Don't go to my local MAG group meetings as I got a less than warm welcome on a blood run about 15 years ago,no bugger talked to me!Once bitten twice shy I'm afraid,daft I know but at least I kept on as a member.Support the demo every year unless I've got the lurgi..........
Oh yeah,as far as I'm concerned if you're not gonna join MAG or the BMF and put yer money where yer mouth is,don't come bitching to me when the powers that be legislate us off the road!

Last edited by Dougie; 07-02-2008 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Chat Virgin

As for apathy in Branches... well, the Branches not necessarily have to be politically active to serve a useful purpose. If they actively recruit new members or hold fund raisers it all helps the cause. Sure they must be some branches that have got a bit comfortable with there little crowd and don't actively seek to encourage new members and certainly that is something that can be tackled by using tools like The Road (MAG's in house magazine) to motivate groups to do a bit more.
I have found that most,maybe all, of the new members I have recruited are not interested in getting involved, but they are paying their membership now that they are aware of what MAG does and they are happy to support it through the fund-raising events we have put on.
MAG itself has recognised that it had become a bit stale and is actively undergoing change to re-vitalise itself. Of course not everyone likes the changes but you can't please all the people etc.
Without change it would probably die off as members are getting older/ lapsing and the organisation needs to bring in new blood to ensure it's survival.
Problem is that if we are only recruiting people who are happy to pay but not get involved it will leave just a handful of people to steer the group and partake in the democratic process so what we really need is for people who have opinions to join/re-join and get involved in the running of MAG. Doesn't matter what each persons opinion is, just that they have one and are prepared to put it forward. Course it also helps if they are willing to accept that they wont always get things their way or else the AGC will just be a big punch up.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:16 PM

The new logo sucks smurfs by the way,bring back the pipes!
Old 07-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie
I used to be in Bradford MAG, in fact at one point I was the secretary - no-one had any training, no-one seemed to really know what they were doing apart from Bel, who really did try her best to do stuff. Not sure if they're still running or not.
Good point Kylie. Don't think there was much in the way of training in the past, just a Rep's manual. But that's all changed and there are now regular activists training weekends which are free to attend. Going to one myself at the end of the month.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Jedi Chat Master

My views on MAG are well publicised.....
Waste of time and money basically, and after the treatment received at the Farmyard many years ago, i and i know many others wilnae hae owt tae dae with the bunch o jobsworth political ladder climbing wannabee politicians....they would be better off joining the tory party, ffs...

Right im stopping before i really go off on one again

Later
Ron
(Long memory, short on patience)
Old 07-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie
A lot of people will agree with you there. It's a done deal though so we have to move on and not let it get in the way of the real issues
Old 07-02-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo40
I have found that most,maybe all, of the new members I have recruited are not interested in getting involved
shame that... Imagine if all those people descended on parliament instead of sitting in front of the telly!

Old 07-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
shame that... Imagine if all those people descended on parliament instead of sitting in front of the telly!
Trouble is Mitch that smug grinning bastard Blair introduced a raft of new legistlation under the guise of anti-terrorism to stop the people getting any where near parliament on a protest.
We'd be sent to Guantamino Bay for holiday. Mind you I think it's nice and warm there.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:33 PM

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryB
we used to be members, but wouldnt bother again.
me too ..........Now I would rather spend the money on beer down the pub.

However, the only organisation I do support, and I`m a member of is NABD
Old 07-02-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
We'd be sent to Guantamino Bay for holiday. Mind you I think it's nice and warm there.
But the beer's pish in Gitmo........
Old 07-02-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Trouble is Mitch that smug grinning bastard Blair introduced a raft of new legistlation under the guise of anti-terrorism to stop the people getting any where near parliament on a protest.
Better health care than here outside the walls...

Tony B. Liar is no longer in power (until he becomes president of Europe as he's planning) so, what's stopping folk?

I'm an ideallist at heart... would probably end up dead for my beliefs. I think I might be on some subversive list as it is for not having a TV

Old 07-02-2008, 05:43 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Bleedin eck Jim you've got off to a flyer haven't you? Thought you didn't do forums? Hope you're ready for anyone who has the slightest opinion about MAG to have a pop.

Brave fella

Quote:
Jim knows my views on the subject, which are that I find it ironic that an organisation that was formed to fight for rights for riders, the catalyst of which was the imposition of the helmet law, should chose a logo prominently featuring helmets. Doesn't stop me thinking that they do good work on all our behalfs though and paying my subscription.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Member of Mag since 92ish, been dep rep, wife was rep and I am still road safety rep. we may not be the most active branch politically (Reading) but we are starting to get out more. For a few years we were very "sit in the pub" and I remember having conversations with SiB where he told me what he thought of my yearly mileage and i tried to use kids as an excuse.
But I go to the right council meetings and even got invited to go along to the "transport strategy advisory group" meeting of reading council as none of them rode and they wanted someone to tell them what the issues were. It may not be riding lidless down the road (which I tend to do at Fred Hill do's as Oxford plod are a lot nicer) but I think it is pretty direct action in terms of actually changing the way we ride by getting us access to bus lanes and (hopefully) some secure parking. Plus we run bike awareness days in town and hand out a lot of info on how to get into biking to people. You only have to come to reading to see how many more people on 2 wheels there are these days.
We have just moved to a new pub (The Butler - Chatham Street) and are now up to about 35/40 at each weekly meeting which isn't bad for the winter.
Maybe a few of you will make it to the Easter Bike show at Abbey Rugby Club.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Better health care than here outside the walls...

Tony B. Liar is no longer in power (until he becomes president of Europe as he's planning) so, what's stopping folk?

I'm an ideallist at heart... would probably end up dead for my beliefs. I think I might be on some subversive list as it is for not having a TV
He may no longer be in power but the laws still stand. There was some footage on the TV recently of a copper draggin a middle aged woman of off the green out side parliament for protesting there, all got nasty.

Of course what we should do is all go to parliament to protest about not being allowed to go to parliament to protest. Cause it's a fucking digrace.

which brings me back to the topic at hand ...if they can get away with that, then just how safe is biking?

Just one bomb strapped to a C90 and they'll use it as an excuse to ban us all..

Okay so I'm over egging the pudding..I admit it. (many a true word said in jest though!)
Old 07-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel
Member of Mag since 92ish, been dep rep, wife was rep and I am still road safety rep. we may not be the most active branch politically (Reading) but we are starting to get out more. For a few years we were very "sit in the pub" and I remember having conversations with SiB where he told me what he thought of my yearly mileage and i tried to use kids as an excuse.
But I go to the right council meetings and even got invited to go along to the "transport strategy advisory group" meeting of reading council as none of them rode and they wanted someone to tell them what the issues were. It may not be riding lidless down the road (which I tend to do at Fred Hill do's as Oxford plod are a lot nicer) but I think it is pretty direct action in terms of actually changing the way we ride by getting us access to bus lanes and (hopefully) some secure parking. Plus we run bike awareness days in town and hand out a lot of info on how to get into biking to people. You only have to come to reading to see how many more people on 2 wheels there are these days.
We have just moved to a new pub (The Butler - Chatham Street) and are now up to about 35/40 at each weekly meeting which isn't bad for the winter.
Maybe a few of you will make it to the Easter Bike show at Abbey Rugby Club.
Was I talking to you at the Autumn NABD?

Good rally you guys do. Hope to make it down to the LION again before too long. Bloody good bar.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
The reason I'm interested is simple, I like bikes and I like doing things my own way and not being told by some twat in parliament how I have to do things.

It would be all too easy for us to sit around smugly patting one another on the back but MAG has around 11,000 individual members and as an organisation that aims to represent all of Britain's 10,000,000 bikers that's quite a low figure.
Let me pick you up on the figures first. Surely you don't believe that 1/6th of the UK population rides bikes? (Actually, given that approx 40million people live here aged between 15-65 the percentage you suggest would be nearer 1/4 of the population.)

Secondly, what have MAG ever actually accomplished? Sure, they bang on about leg protectors and seat belts and the much vaunted 100bhp limit, but really, what have they done? The government keep throwing out these issues so MAG and BMF pick up the fight while the government push other legislation through unnoticed. Absolutely pointless organisation run by self appointed, self important, cretins.

Twenty quid? I'd rather give it to asylum seekers.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abb
L
Secondly, what have MAG ever actually accomplished? Sure, they bang on about leg protectors and seat belts and the much vaunted 100bhp limit, but really, what have they done for us?
The aquaduct. Roads. Better sanitation. Medicine. Education. Irrigation. Public order...
Old 07-02-2008, 07:29 PM

You are confusing MAG with the Romans, who themselves plagurised the works of the BMF.