100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 12-12-2007, 03:59 AM
Super Moderator

Default Anyone got a V-max

I have a chance of getting one, are they any good?...The specs say it has a lower top speed than my GT750..and being a V4 it is not going to have that grunt sound...so what are they really all about...and what do you have to watch out for... John
Old 12-12-2007, 07:33 AM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

rear tyre wear, and fuel consumption are the main things that spring to mind

what they are about is huge grins on any road thats straight!!
Old 12-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Location: Romney Marsh...like Wales but flatter and the sheep don't keep looking over their shoulders!!

usual yammie shaft drive problems can occur, dodgy 2nd gear, reg/rec can go tits up

dunno what you were looking at to get a lower speed than the gt750,and it's got a better exhaust note too!
ignore the race rep riders it'll go round corners pretty much the same as your gt

if you keep it on the boost expect 30mpg and about 15 miles on the reserve light
check vmaxchat.co.uk

buy it, you'll enjoy it!!
Old 12-12-2007, 09:06 AM
Chatter Box

I was weighing one up last year, and found http://www.vmaxchat.co.uk/ - loads of information on the site and forum there
Old 12-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Banned

Post 93 models are better, the second gear thing was sorted by then also has later 43mm front forks with 4 pot brake calipers abd bigger discs, Ive had no problems with my reg rec or the shaft drive, and to be quite honest I havent heard of them problems either, Ive owned my Max now 5 years, and John its much quicker than your GT, with sensible mods the bike can handle well but it isnt a sports bike. As a trike now, Mine will still out accelerate most of the modern bikes. Fucks em right off, I've seen 145 but when I had a GT that was only good for 115-120 at top. Make sure the bike you have has V-Boost on it, and is not the emasculated restricted version. Ie turn on the Ignition and you should hear 3 whirs coming from the Carbs this is a self test on the servos from the controlers. It will be a gutsy bastard though, I get between 75 - 110 Miles to a tank full 12 small tank gutsy consumption depending on how much time the Boost is being utilised vmaxchat.co.uk will give you all info you need as stated before read as much as you can. Buy as late a model as you can, and I hope you have deep pockets, Because to make it the best it can be you will be continualy spending. Its an addiction. But feck me its Fun.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikesmad

Lovely looking bikes........

........but ye'll certainly get to know where awe the petrol stations are......

...............cos they only do aboot 80 or 90 to the tank........

............................I would have thought it will leave yer Kwack behind .........

....................................in the "fer fecks sake" stakes!

Ye dinnae bounce sae weel, when yer aulder!
Old 12-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Great bikes

Most of the points have been covered, as said buy a later one with the uprated brakes. The early twin pot calipers were rubbish.

Also pre 1996 UK bikes were restricted (100bhp?) so watch out for that. There are a lot of Canadian imports over here which were always full power.

Can be fussy on batteries too as its such a big lump to turn over. If you don't use it regularly get an optimate.

Last edited by gurnE; 12-12-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Chat Virgin

Bugger!

The one chance I've had to really contribute and I got beaten to it.

Most of the points have been covered.

Have a look at vmaxchat.co.uk. It's the most popular VMax message board in the world and if you have any questions, post a message on the board.
I know that as I set it up and can see the stats

I've had my Max for 10 years and apart from the CDI and one of the coils nothing has gone wrong with it. Mines a 1989 Canadian import(full power)
Normal riding gives approx 100 miles to the tankful, have vboost on all the time and you will get 60(but what a laff)

Once you get used to the handling(which can be improved) it's the most fun bike I've ever had. I would never sell it.

Cheers!
Old 12-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Chat Virgin

would love one myself - whats insurance like?
Old 12-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnyboybelfast
would love one myself - whats insurance like?
Like all bikes- it depends on your age, experience, where you live and how modified your bike is.

I live in rural Cumbria, the bikes 18 years old, garaged, and I'm an old git with 10 years no claims. 110 a year fully comp.
Sometimes age has it's benefits!!

Cheers!
Old 12-12-2007, 04:35 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

i had a 92 v-max, it was a real dog ! bevel gear exploded, clutch exploded, handled like a greased greasy thing in a greasy bucket, rear tyre lasted about a month, only has a 15 litre petrol tank, good for about 90 miles if you never use the v-boost, and anything over 115 mph, and it fishtailed like a bag of marbles,i hate em with a passion, but thats my opinion, others swear by em, but i just swear at em !
Old 12-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Had two, great bikes, loads of fun, love to know where it said a gt750 is quicker.
Only draw backs are petrol consumption, but as everyone has said check out vmax chat give you all the bumf
Old 13-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Chatter Box

i had one, and they are an absolute scream, the handeling is an issue but it can be sorted, i found the cheapest way of doing this was ride two up with someone your own weight, stops it fishtailing and you really cam appreciate the full power, did loads of mods on mine, brased frame, steering damper, 17 inch rear, heavier fork brace, and i had the v-boost locked on, also my brother who worked for V&M at the time had a fettel with things and boy oh boy could she fly, ran her for two years on the straightliners drag racing callender, you should see the faces of busa owners when they taytered by a fat lad on a v-max

buy it, buy it, buy it