100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 23-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via MSN to Kylie
Default Cold fingers

OK then - solutions to the cold fingers problem needed! It's 2 degrees in Leeds this morning, which in the grand scheme of things just ain't that cold, so I need to find a solution to the cold fingers before it gets much colder.

I've got winter weight thinsulate lined Buffalo bike gloves, I tried my ski gloves this morning which are about the same at keeping my fingers warm, but they're still freezing.

So whats the solution? Am wary about heated grips as I don't want to murder my battery, but am considering bar muff things.
Old 23-11-2007, 09:48 AM
Jedi Chat Master

ebay item 200174000303
There a fews pairs on ebay and they work well.

Old 23-11-2007, 10:02 AM

I'll have a look round, one of thems damaged.

Was kind of trying to find out if they're the best option or what the alternatives are before i jump into buying owt.
Old 23-11-2007, 11:03 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Send a message via MSN to madastoast Send a message via Yahoo to madastoast

You can get some glove inserts that run from batteries . I don't know how good they are but it's worth looking at.

Me I have a pair of them gloves they give away for the diesel in garages they retain the heat and take no space up. Work pretty good too. I crossed the dolomites in a snow storm with just them and my gloves this year so testing went to plan

Faster than an Iraqi window shopper
Old 23-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Nik

I use Richa nanoo nanoo gloves (about 25) with silk inners (about a tenner) and they're really good. The nanoo nanoos were something I'd heard about for years, but never tried and I was gobsmacked as to how good they actually were when I tried 'em.

They're weird in that they don't actually feel any warmer/heavier/whatever when you put them on and they aren't particularly waterproof, but it doesn't actually matter - your hands warm up in 'em quickly and even when they're wet they don't seem to get cold. I'd suffered cold hands on a bike for years and, due to a childhood injury to me right little finger, when they get really cold it won't straighten and so is a pain in the arse to get into gloves, but with the nanoo nanoos that doesn't happen ... much.

Combine them with heated grips and your hands'll be toasty. They shouldn't drain your battery (they never have on any of my bikes) and they do make a hell of a difference.

Old 23-11-2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik
I use Richa nanoo nanoo gloves (about 25) with silk inners (about a tenner) and they're really good. The nanoo nanoos were something I'd heard about for years, but never tried and I was gobsmacked as to how good they actually were when I tried 'em.

They're weird in that they don't actually feel any warmer/heavier/whatever when you put them on and they aren't particularly waterproof, but it doesn't actually matter - your hands warm up in 'em quickly and even when they're wet they don't seem to get cold. I'd suffered cold hands on a bike for years and, due to a childhood injury to me right little finger, when they get really cold it won't straighten and so is a pain in the arse to get into gloves, but with the nanoo nanoos that doesn't happen ... much.

Combine them with heated grips and your hands'll be toasty. They shouldn't drain your battery (they never have on any of my bikes) and they do make a hell of a difference.

Are they the ones where 2 fingers go in the same hole?

Mates got heated grips and its screwed his battery....
Old 23-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Depends on how much space you have on your handlebars but for the cost of almost nothing you can get a large bleach bottle and cut it to shape so that it forms a shield and fit it to the bars with a terry clip...one for each bar...they form a shield from the cold wind and you can still see all your controls....Doesn't work on my bike because I don't have space on the bars...John
Old 23-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Oops never spotted the damage there were a few more pop up in the search though
I ran heated grips on my xrv for 3 years no problems just remember to turn them off prime if you have the option, I tied them into the lighting circuit so they only work when the lights were on ect. Actually burned a hole in my old gloves on prime
Old 23-11-2007, 11:39 AM

Send a message via MSN to Yoda

has anyone ever tried Scuba Diving Gloves for use on the bike
If they are made for cold waters then maybe they would be good for the rain and the cold
http://shop.divebooty.co.uk/90.html

yoda yr gwefan

Look At My Goodies
Old 23-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie
Are they the ones where 2 fingers go in the same hole?

Mates got heated grips and its screwed his battery....
Yeah, that's them, 'ang on.

http://www.nevism.co.uk/products/ric...ves/2330-glove

Hmm, weird about the battery - I've had them on ... errm ... seven different bikes now and they've all been fine. He did remember to turn 'em off, didn't he? If you don't, then they will drain your battery.

Old 23-11-2007, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins
Depends on how much space you have on your handlebars but for the cost of almost nothing you can get a large bleach bottle and cut it to shape so that it forms a shield and fit it to the bars with a terry clip...one for each bar...they form a shield from the cold wind and you can still see all your controls....Doesn't work on my bike because I don't have space on the bars...John
Nah mate was telling me how to do that last night, but i was checking out the options while i was sat in traffic and there's no room at all for that sort of malarky
Old 23-11-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda
has anyone ever tried Scuba Diving Gloves for use on the bike
If they are made for cold waters then maybe they would be good for the rain and the cold
http://shop.divebooty.co.uk/90.html
They might not give you enough movement in your hands, i thought my winter gloves were restrictive til i put my ski gloves on this morning, and they're ridiculous, and i think they have grippy bits which meant i kept catching things. Putting my bike gloves back on for the way home!
Old 23-11-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik
Yeah, that's them, 'ang on.

http://www.nevism.co.uk/products/ric...ves/2330-glove

Hmm, weird about the battery - I've had them on ... errm ... seven different bikes now and they've all been fine. He did remember to turn 'em off, didn't he? If you don't, then they will drain your battery.

Pass... he might not have!
Old 23-11-2007, 12:07 PM

Probably sounds crazy but MX handguards keep the wind off and are cheap. Just down to a good pair of gloves then (I hate wearing bulky gloves, i wear Sinsalo Enduro gloves. Thin but warm).
http://www.mxbits.com/acatalog/Plast...rotection.html
http://www.mxbits.com/acatalog/Plast...nd_Guards.html
http://www.dirtbikebitz.com/motocros...47_57_693.html
Theres a few ideas. I use the Cycra ones on my XR and they are good (had tree branches and the likes hit them, stones, had a couple of off's and theyre hardly scratched).
Old 23-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

heated inner gloves are brill but make sure you get the ones with a heating element on all fingers and thumbs. The last pair I had didn't have a heating element on the thumb and I suffered because of it
Old 23-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Chatter Box

Heated grips - brilliant, I've been using them for 20 odd years, still using the first set I bought and never had problems. Wire them to an ignition-on only live and you won't drain the battery when its standing. The other thing is keep the gloves dry with muffs or guards, they cut the wind chill and heat loss as the wind evaporates the water.
Old 23-11-2007, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratwing
Heated grips - brilliant, I've been using them for 20 odd years, still using the first set I bought and never had problems. Wire them to an ignition-on only live and you won't drain the battery when its standing. The other thing is keep the gloves dry with muffs or guards, they cut the wind chill and heat loss as the wind evaporates the water.
If you wire them into the on thingy, does that mean they're on all summer too? Sorry, pulling the girly card here.... never used them and don't really understand but i'm erring now towards the idea of the muffs and the heated grips....
Old 23-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimaera
heated inner gloves are brill but make sure you get the ones with a heating element on all fingers and thumbs. The last pair I had didn't have a heating element on the thumb and I suffered because of it
You're lucky - years ago I had a pre-production pair without a thermostat or an off-switch. They were fuggin' ace out on the open road, but used to burn me hands in slow traffic. My knuckles were a slightly silver colour for years afterwards.
Old 23-11-2007, 06:40 PM

bizarrely, try a heated vest!! no, seriously!! its all down to the way that cold affects the body. the brain will always try to preserve the bodys heat in the core of the body, thats the trunk and the head. so when the body temp starts to fall, then the brain starts to cut blood flow to the extremities first, hence cold hands and cold feet. keep the body and head warm and the blood flow to the extremities wont be cut and they will stay warmer for longer. maplins were selling a heated waistcoat with a battery pack last year for unde 40 quid. gloves and heated mits are still important, as are the handlebar mitts, but you would be surprised at how much longer you can ride for if your body is kept warm.
i saw this on one of them survival progs a few years back and since then have always wrapped up warm when riding .

http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Old 23-11-2007, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr
bizarrely, try a heated vest!! no, seriously!! its all down to the way that cold affects the body. the brain will always try to preserve the bodys heat in the core of the body, thats the trunk and the head. so when the body temp starts to fall, then the brain starts to cut blood flow to the extremities first, hence cold hands and cold feet. keep the body and head warm and the blood flow to the extremities wont be cut and they will stay warmer for longer. maplins were selling a heated waistcoat with a battery pack last year for unde 40 quid. gloves and heated mits are still important, as are the handlebar mitts, but you would be surprised at how much longer you can ride for if your body is kept warm.
i saw this on one of them survival progs a few years back and since then have always wrapped up warm when riding .
I'm totally toasty body wise, my legs start to get a bit chilly, so i know my toes can be sorted by wearing my thermals, but i need to lose a few stone before i can get stuff on under my trousers. But the bit of me under my jacket is plenty warm enough - to the extent i havent even put my thermal lining in my jacket yet and i am still boiling hot when i stop - a heated vest would kill me!

It might be because i have very low blood pressure, i've always got sh1te circulation and my hands are always cold! (maybe thats why i'm single?!)
Old 23-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

I have a pair of heated grips that I bought off Draken for not much money, but I only switch them on when its really cold, the switch is on the left hand side of the handlebar in easy reach of my thumb and I just use it for a minute at the most..It's got off high and low, and as the wind causes the cold, you don't need it in traffic or slow speed...Not quite as cheap as a bleach bottle but almost...correct me if I am wrong Draken but I think they were about 12... and as long as you only use them to warm up when you are cold they will be off most of the time....John
Old 23-11-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins
I have a pair of heated grips that I bought off Draken for not much money, but I only switch them on when its really cold, the switch is on the left hand side of the handlebar in easy reach of my thumb and I just use it for a minute at the most..It's got off high and low, and as the wind causes the cold, you don't need it in traffic or slow speed...Not quite as cheap as a bleach bottle but almost...correct me if I am wrong Draken but I think they were about 12... and as long as you only use them to warm up when you are cold they will be off most of the time....John
I reckon that might be a good thing, i was wondering if you could switch them off. And i'm really liking the idea of those muff thingys, they look toasty!

Definitely need to know if Dracken still has them at that sort of price, and then i need a volunteer I'm a girly, I know my place, couldnt possibly do a mans job fitting them
Old 23-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

Oh, go on then.....

* gets big tool out....*

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 23-11-2007, 07:18 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

These are the best gloves I've ever had, and combined with silk linings, always keep me warm and dry, thanks to that funky breathable lining. The spongy leather bit on the back is cool for clearing wet visors too

Go to http://www.silvermans.co.uk/Silver/mcsite/index2.htm

and search for

GLOVES R4 POLICE ISSUE MC

http://atmviheo.blogspot.com/
Old 23-11-2007, 08:21 PM

Courier Days 13 years in London (somehow i survuved 13 winters on a bike aswell)

recipe for warm hands

1 Oxford Handlbar muffs

2 Oxford heated Grips

3 medium thickness gloves

stir well , add marrigolds underneath when its chucking it down with rain

with the bar muffs it's best to attach erm permantley to stop people nicking em ideally if u have bar mounted mirrors use the bolt holes to keep em in place

as for the Grips they do usually have a on off switch aswell but as mentioned wire em up to the ignition that way if u do forget the ignition won't
Old 23-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Banned

So we've dealt with the hands now what about the feet? Mine get so froze I can hardly stand on them when I get off. My boots wont take any more paris of socks, but i do wear thermal socks.
Old 23-11-2007, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryB
So we've dealt with the hands now what about the feet? Mine get so froze I can hardly stand on them when I get off. My boots wont take any more paris of socks, but i do wear thermal socks.
I bet the little toe and the one next to it go first right?

Mine do

Also same problem, not enough room in boots!
Old 23-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madastoast
Me I have a pair of them gloves they give away for the diesel in garages they retain the heat and take no space up. Work pretty good too. I crossed the dolomites in a snow storm with just them and my gloves this year so testing went to plan
I was gonna say latex gloves, that is what i use, you still get cold, but not as quick, and it reduces it loads, but maybe madastoasts plastic filling gloves are the better option, definately cheaper,
If you dont wanna pinch em from filling station, you can pick up boxes of plastic and latex gloves from beauty wholesalers.
Old 23-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:

LOL........a car
Old 24-11-2007, 12:22 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
good quality military boots like danner/matterhorn/rocky or british pro boots(there,s a new model out)all make winter models that are full leather uppers.gore-tex lined and have between 200-1000 gram thinsulate linings/and are all designed for sub-zero work.........you could always add gore-tex or sealskin sox coupled with good quality sox made out of merrino wool..............also for the adventurous........look up a company called "weezle technical" from huddersfield who specialize in cold water diving suits............they make undersuits down to -10 deg witch fit under my hein gericke jacket n trousers;>>> and sox or should i say they have them made by SNUGPACK.......yes a sleeping bag suit made out of compresable hollofill with a pertex outer then a felt inner so its good next to the skin.........and for winter rallyists you can upgrade your sleep system by using the suit as well so you dont need the big doss bag .......these can be found on evil bay as its one of them hobbies you either take to or not!they also have thumbcuffs.........and do one piece or two piece suits ,although 2 pieces are rarer 2nd hand......

Last edited by paulthestall; 24-11-2007 at 12:39 AM.