100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 06-11-2007, 06:29 AM
Complete and utter git

Default Dead biker's family gets 110,000

A dead motorcyclist's family who were awarded 110,000 in compensation for his death have urged others to make similar claims.
Richard Chris Cooper, 58, lost control of his Yamaha Royal Star 1300 after riding through a fuel spill on the B6403 in Lincolnshire, in March 2006.

The Dorset father-of-two then collided with a van - he later died in hospital.

The Motor Insurers' Bureau (MIB), which compensates victims of untraced or uninsured drivers, made the payout.

His family had no way of finding out who was responsible for the deadly spillage.

But they found they could make a claim for compensation if they could prove his death was a "preventable accident".

With the help of their solicitor, Andrew Campbell, they applied to the MIB.

Victims of negligent uninsured and untraced motorists have three years from the date of their accident to lodge a claim with the MIB, which is paid for through motor insurance policies.

Mr Campbell said: "Motorcyclists and drivers who are involved in accidents and suffer injuries as a result of diesel spills often don't realise they can claim compensation because the person responsible for the spill may be unknown."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7078676.stm
Old 06-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via MSN to xjtriker666

that,s 110-000 more than i got thru m.i.b.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:30 AM

They're still looking for you...
Old 06-11-2007, 10:49 AM

thanks taff,,they,ll keep on lookin as well
Old 06-11-2007, 11:05 AM

Spotted this yesterday - it could set a presidence(sp?) for future claims and maybe - just MAYBE the law / highways agency will be more aware of the dangers and actually do something about diesel spill reports. Fingers crossed eh.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:15 AM

Pity they didn't find the twat that spilled it.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Jedi Chat Master

I never got a penny either..
Old 06-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Jedi Chat Master

pisses me of the diesel spillage lets face it if the gov really meant to reduce road accidents why haven't thay introduced laws to prevent trucks and bus's from over filling tanks.
i believe sainsburys have a valve of some type in there trucks that prevent over filling.

may be instead of havening a spills rally every year in one place organize rallys on the same day at various truck filling depots or refinerays lets face it big bunches of bikers at time generate interest.
and if every truck that showed signs of diesel spilling down its tank was stopped and pics taken then reg taken with times and reported to the cops who no doubt who'd have descended on each group would have something to do.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:07 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg
pisses me of the diesel spillage lets face it if the gov really meant to reduce road accidents why haven't thay introduced laws to prevent trucks and bus's from over filling tanks.
i believe sainsburys have a valve of some type in there trucks that prevent over filling.

may be instead of havening a spills rally every year in one place organize rallys on the same day at various truck filling depots or refinerays lets face it big bunches of bikers at time generate interest.
and if every truck that showed signs of diesel spilling down its tank was stopped and pics taken then reg taken with times and reported to the cops who no doubt who'd have descended on each group would have something to do.
ah, i see its down to truck drivers again, and no 1 else ???? i followed a piece of crap people carrier the other day, and it was pissing diesel all over the fucking place, i tried to explain to the arse hole that his car was leaking like a sieve, but he just didnt want to know, or care !!!!! yes trucks do spill diesel sometimes if overfilled, but the main culprit is tossers in ancient transit/merc vans, normally wearing a towel wrapped around their head with all the family in the passenger seat/foot well !!
Old 06-11-2007, 04:25 PM
Chatter Box

Loads of lorrys spill round our way... so i do blame the lorry drivers, we have had a spat of cement trucks loseing their load as they move along lately too, then there are the dumper trucks that leave copious amounts of ****e on the road as they leave the many bulding sites in our area.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:25 PM

Taxis round here,both black cabs and minicabs.Also corner shop owners with their clapped out diesel Hi-Ace vans........
Old 06-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Jedi Chat Master

yes cars clapped out vans taxis spill diesel but from my experience its mostly trucks and bus's.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:55 PM

Default Diesel spills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg
yes cars clapped out vans taxis spill diesel but from my experience its mostly trucks and bus's.
It doesn't matter who spills the diesel. The point here is that diesel spills are a serious risk to other road users especially bike riders.

If bikers were causing the same level of risk to other road users we would be getting done for it big time with a raft of new legislation and fixed penalty tickets, points on licences, etc etc.

I may be preaching to the converted here, but IMO, what is needed is a concerted campaign by bikers. Every time you see a vehicle of any kind leaking diesel, take a note of the date, time, place, vehicle typre and registration number. There must be an official body that deals with these things. If they received a whole bunch of complaints about the spills with evidence they would have to do something.

Bloody annoying thing to have to encounter, especially when it is something that can easily be avoided.

Chopper.

WELCOME TO GREAT BRITAIN.
WE ARE FULL UP, SO FUCK OFF.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:50 AM
Complete and utter git

There must be an official body that deals with these things

it's the highway authority for that road - and that could be local council, county council, highways agency etc depending on the road -

best thing to do is report to plod and get it logged on their computer - they have a responsibilty to get it sorted and they will know who to call - whether it gets sorted is another matter but if its on their computer and someone does have a prang, it may help them sort pennies for repairs
Old 07-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Jedi Chat Master

eigerton
been there done that and the spill was still evident later in the day on a down hill section joining a main road and a bend to boot.
the old bill and council just dont give a damm.
did have a few diesel spills stickers at one point and have put them on a few trucks with overflow evidence on there tanks.

any one know if thy are still available a concerted mass sticker attack might help even if stuck on cars and taxis probably only a inconvenience to the vehicles there stuck to but still it would help awareness of the problem.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:59 PM

think you can still get them from n.a.b.d. av a look on web site
Old 10-11-2007, 08:12 PM
Chatter Box

on my commute to work (and back ) there is a site where they are building a fishing lake. Well digging one out. For about 3 months lorries have left mud covering about 1/2 a mile of road leaving the site. Great big dollops some times. But as a road sweeper occaisionally comes along to spread it thinner and further I guess I'm on my own if I slide down the road in it