100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherryB
BSH did cover R & B because they are very civilised and polite. And the editor doesnt come on here shouting and swearing at people because they ask a pertinent question.
We can shout and swear if you like...
Old 07-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Chatter Box

Fair comment....
Old 07-11-2007, 11:36 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Fair question i thought, not renowned for your honest approach to journalism are you nik, after the retouching bikes that don't fit your exacting standards debacle, and other minor indescretions...

From BW;
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Nik Samson now 100% when he was with BSH cut the head off a photo of my mate Suzy n put it on the head of a Rock n Blues stripper in Readers Lives - she was furious and found there was nothing she could do short of suing BSH, he refused to print an apology too
Old 07-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Nik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taff
Fair question i thought, not renowned for your honest approach to journalism are you nik, after the retouching bikes that don't fit your exacting standards debacle, and other minor indescretions...

From BW;
Hate to disappoint you, Taff, but Suzy was my mate too - she and I lived in the same house and she wasn't furious about it at all. That pic was asked for by her then boyfriend and I made subtle enquiries about doing such a thing before hand but, hey, why let the facts get in the way?

If anything she reckoned she had better boobs than the stripper.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue
We can shout and swear if you like...

No Blue cos you aint like that hun your a very nice girlie indeedy.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Banned

If anybody put my head on a R & B stripper I'd feckin sue them BIG time. I wouldnt be seen dead at R & B - no siree, not for anything.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
No Blue cos you aint like that hun your a very nice girlie indeedy.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik
Hate to disappoint you, Taff, but Suzy was my mate too - she and I lived in the same house and she wasn't furious about it at all. That pic was asked for by her then boyfriend and I made subtle enquiries about doing such a thing before hand but, hey, why let the facts get in the way
Why indeed? All that tells me is that what we see in 100%, aint necessarily a true depiction of what actually happened, or what was actually photographed before it came under your scrutinisation and was decided what we'd actually prefer to see. After your subtle enquiries, did you print a disclaimer that what actually appears in these pics may bear no resemblance to what actually happened or turned up for the shoot?
And before you bleat out your mantra of if you dont like it dont buy it, it's just a habit, like crack, the first few were good, so yer always hoping to get that same buzz with the next hit...
Old 07-11-2007, 04:05 PM
Chatter Box

Round and round it goes ... where it stops no one knows...
Old 07-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Any more room on the sofa? (gets beer from fridge)
Old 07-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

I think we're gonna need a bigger sofa......

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 07-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

That time of the month again ....Let's pick on Nik is it...and Nik you should be ashamed of yourself...you bite every time... John
Old 07-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik
Of course, he went - what sort of fucking stupid question is that? If he didn't go how would he have taken the photographs ...

When you hold a responsible position such as yours Nik, you can never afford to take the professional hat off. This does not display a very professional approach or respect to your readers, who do pay your wages after all. Did you learn any people skills during your training?

If we spoke to our customers like that, I'm sure we would be facing bankruptcy very quickly. Simon was asking a very reasonable question which did not deserve such a blatantly rude reply.

If you, for instance, walked into a shop and asked a question of the assistant and she/he replied with this level of rudeness, I wonder what your reaction would be.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:07 PM
Chatter Box

i have lots of ice cream, does this buy me a pew on the sofa
Old 07-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindle
i have lots of ice cream, does this buy me a pew on the sofa

ONLY if it has choccy sauce and nuts on it. NUts are very important with ice cream
Old 08-11-2007, 02:25 AM
Jedi Chat Master

[QUOTE=cherryB] Simon was asking a very reasonable question which did not deserve such a blatantly rude reply.

In fairness he did appologise

If you, for instance, walked into a shop and asked a question of the assistant and she/he replied with this level of rudeness.QUOTE]

Some customers deserve it............you must have been tempted
Old 08-11-2007, 10:24 AM

Look at the end of the day I couldnt give a monkeys about how Nik typed, yep nik apologised, end of story.
My problem was with the small amount of info in the article, which in a magazine that is meant to represent biking I thought was poor and the simple fact was my 14yr old daughter could have written it if shown some pics and given a programe from the bully.
Yep i think its shyte that one of the main parts of the event wasnt shown ( bike show) just because another mag runs it, and if my bike was in the show would probably be a bit miffed that the show didnt get a mention or a pic.
But at the end of the day the issues out and it cant be changed, but there is no nreason why we cant discuss it and things might change in the future.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=gollum]
Quote:
Simon was asking a very reasonable question which did not deserve such a blatantly rude reply.

In fairness he did appologise

If you, for instance, walked into a shop and asked a question of the assistant and she/he replied with this level of rudeness.QUOTE]

Some customers deserve it............you must have been tempted

well yeah I been tempted loads of times and I've said it under me breath believe me, but cant remember ever saying it out loud, but often wondered if they ever knew I was saying 'fuck off' with a smile on me face
Old 08-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
well yeah I been tempted loads of times and I've said it under me breath believe me, but cant remember ever saying it out loud, but often wondered if they ever knew I was saying 'fuck off' with a smile on me face

yep........see thats why I'd struggle to work in that kind of environment, tell it like it is...........Gollum diplomacy the way it should be.....
Old 08-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Chatter Box

Quote:
ONLY if it has choccy sauce and nuts on it. NUts are very important with ice cream

yep, got loads of choccie sauce, but only two nuts and i dont fancy crushing them
Old 08-11-2007, 05:16 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

(Gets off sofa to throw two penceworth in)
Quote:
Yep i think its shyte that one of the main parts of the event wasnt shown ( bike show) just because another mag runs it, and if my bike was in the show would probably be a bit miffed that the show didnt get a mention or a pic.
Tend to agree, no-one's suggesting you should feature photos of the bikes at the prizegiving in front of a big BSH banner.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TektroG
(Gets off sofa to throw two penceworth in)

Tend to agree, no-one's suggesting you should feature photos of the bikes at the prizegiving in front of a big BSH banner.
The prizegiving is not held in front of a big BSH banner. We probably should, but we've always made sure our sponsors' banners are foremost - as you can see from a couple of pics from this year's prizegiving.

Not much there that indicates BSH's involvement, is there? And it was very easy to take photos of the show bikes in the marquee without any banners or logos in the background. An established 100% freelance photographer did walk round the marquee taking photos on at least two occasions that I know of, so I'm bemused as to why none were used.

Incidentally, one of the exhibitors in the show, and winner (well, via his brother) of a trophy was Odgie, a certain well-known contributor to 100% Biker. Perhaps we should have refused to let him enter the show because of that...
Old 08-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Hmm if you say so Blue. Pic tends to show otherwise. Guess it depends on your definition of big.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:42 PM
Banned

Quote:

Hmm if you say so Blue. Pic tends to show otherwise. Guess it depends on your definition of big.
The most important thing in that Pic isn't no Banner But the show organisor.

RIP
Old 08-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:

No, it depends upon where you stand. That shot was taken from crowd side. Someone with a press pass would have been in a position to choose their spot had they bothered to be there and could have ensured what was in the background. Both Simon Everett and I were photographing the prizegiving. None of our shots had BSH banners in the background.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:50 PM

Send a message via MSN to Yoda

i have to say that i photographed the 100% sponsored show at nabd for BSH
without a single 100% logo showing (even though there was an A4 paper on each bike with 100% showing) and i could easily do the same at a BSH sponsored show
it is pretty easy to photograph any show (whoever it is sponsored by) without reference to the sponsor
The prize giving is harder depending on where it is held, and who is handing out the prizes but then either magazine would not want photographs of the prizegiving of its competitors,

but many shows are photographed with no images of the prizegiving

(and for reference i covered the Bulldog for Pat a few years back which covered the show - so its no big deal)

My opinion on the write up is that it felt like it was an after-thought
I subscribe to both BSH and 100% and would have prefered a broader coverage of the event (or any event - regardless of who sponsors it)
and if it is sponsored by a competitor then i would expect the prize giving to be omitted

yoda yr gwefan

Look At My Goodies
Old 08-11-2007, 05:51 PM

I have the perfect solution to this 'argument'

MOTORSICKLE

Everyone who is running a show can send tickets to me and slob, we dont have a problem with going to a show and creating an article (with photos and a jolly good write up in my opinion) in fact if you supply us with loads of beer and food will write just about anything you want us to.*
Because we are not 'real journalists' we dont give a monkeys who produced the show/event/pissup/BBQ/riot we will always write what we want.

Joking aside.

Already Kawasaki are a bit unhappy about the write up on their Z1000, well give me a new one to play with and I'll see what happens...etc....
If we go to a show we will write exactly what we felt and saw there.
We have no 'side' to side with or allegiances to get in the way; and to be honest if we ever did organise a show we would still go to others and write them up in what we believe to be an honest fashion.
We do try to concentrate on the smaller events, although we are going to the NEC this year which will be the largest event covered so far, because we like to get down with you dudes, the guys paying the money and find out how much you are enjoying an event, I know a man who went to a very big event (not a motorcycle one) and spent the whole weekend in the fucking hospitality tent, he then stole bits of other peoples articles to create his. What a tosser!
I thought journalism was going to be easy, but its not, I find it hard to churn out the articles on a regular basis, its bloody hard work for me and I dont expect it to get easier. This infighting strikes me as being just silly, if you were selling ice creams on a corner then you wouldnt advertise each other, but to not do an article on a big bike event just because someone else organised it is plain cutting your nose off to spite your face (I never thought I'd ever use that expression..) ah fuck it I'm bored with this now...

*Of course when we sober up we will rewrite to suit ourselves.

Free the binary 10
Old 08-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Yeah I had noted that. I probably have one or two other shots with Gerry in if certain people on here would like.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda
(and for reference i covered the Bulldog for Pat a few years back which covered the show - so its no big deal)
Er, I have a vague memory of doing some photos of the custom show for Pat myself a few years back. Very vague, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro
I thought journalism was going to be easy
Now that was a tea/keyboard interface moment!
Old 08-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy696969

RIP
Another omission from the Bulldog write up. A line at the end might have been courtesy and respect, but hey, what do I know?
Closed Thread