100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 27-10-2007, 08:19 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Default kinroad 50 cc, what a load of w**k

i had a 16 yr old turn up today on a battered looking kinroad 50cc geared moped
i had a shock when i saw 240 miles on the clock.
engine is the old honda c50 lump and will probably run forever.

but centre stand draging the floor because the DOUBLE springs fitted could not hold it up.
broken lugs on the very brittle side panels. fuel line to long which could cause an airlock due to it's routing.
drive chain more flimsy than a pushbike.
no markings on swingarm to align chain.
front suspension so hard to be almost non existent, rear suspension quite the opposite.

add to this a rider with no idea how to use gears to get the most out of it's 3.6 bhp, and you have real probs. he wanted me to derestrict it, which only involves cutting the limiting wire on the cdi unit.and removing a small spacer from above the carb slide. as it would only do 32 mph and then miss fire (thats a built in cdi function)i refused as it could cause me probs with the law.

he got real arsy said he was more than a biker than i ever was, and bikers always help each other out, no matter what. great i replied..get one of them to derestrict it then.
i look forward to him reaching 17 passing his car test and leaving the bike scene forever
Old 27-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

Im not surprised its falling to bits, Its a cheap chinese pile of shít.

I wouldn't have touched it either.

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 27-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Chat Slapper

Kid's don't ya just love em
Old 27-10-2007, 08:54 PM

I would have told him "I can make it go like a bomb!".... and then thrown a match in the tank....cheeky little ****.

Free the binary 10
Old 27-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

32 Miles an hour on a chinese 50cc bike is derestricted...my son's got a 125 chinese bike that does 32 miles between breakdowns...there's not enough space on the internet to list all the faults it has had...if he ever gets his finger out and passes his test I've told him to buy a yamaha 300 or 500 automatic scooter...he weighs almost 20 stone...John
Old 28-10-2007, 09:59 AM
Need to Get out More!

There must be vast differences between some of these chinese bikes.

I have done 4000 miles in 5 months on my 125 and the only problem has been having to alter the side stand bracket to pull the spring tighter
Old 28-10-2007, 02:00 PM

And therein lies the problem with Chinese bikes, a distinct lack of quality control. They are just flooding the market with cheap goods and the end consumer is all too often left with a pile of junk that cost them a grand........

Old 28-10-2007, 02:28 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

aye quality varies...

one of my mates is a very big lad (would say 20-25 stone), and rides a 125, it goes well (GS copy enigne i think), and has survived a couple of light offs quite well, though he knows how to look after it.

another i know is shagged out at just under 1K. Tiny lass rides it, doesn't thrash it, yet bits constantly rattle loose, crack, and the sparkplugs are forever working loose...

"Geek with Attitude"
Old 28-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

I seem to recall similar problems with early Jap bikes hence the phrase "Jap crap". Give em 5 years and I would imagine they'll get it sorted.
Old 28-10-2007, 07:49 PM

Default chinese scoots.

my mrs has a lifan 50cc scooter, my daughter a baotioan scooter, same engine in both but different bodywork and manufacturer. my mrs scoot has run faultlessly since she got it 8 months ago. it still starts on the button every time, though it needed a new battery when the cold weather kicked it, the original chinese one was still on it and 4 years isnt bad for any bike battery. it still does 140mpg, yes one hundred and fourty miles per gallon, and though not restricted in any way i can see, it will run at a genuine 45 mph, as i have clocked it in the van and on the bike. its a fabulous piece of kit, cheap and cheerful, plastics are poor and spares backup can be patchy, but hey, i gave 100 quid for it, so im not too fussed.
remember, its not too long ago that they were saying all the same stuff about some new kids on the block called honda suzuki kawasaki and yamaha.

good forum here for all these little chinese bikes,

http://chinesescoots.forumwise.com/

http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Old 29-10-2007, 11:39 PM

Maybe in the distant future Chinese bikes will be built to an excellent quality, but right now it's truly hit and miss. You managed to get a decent one, John. Lucky sod.

Korean bike manufacturer Hyosung has been working hard to build a reputation for good quality affordable bikes and it's doing the trick. More people are buying them because they know they can get spares, and more importantly, a bike that will last longer than the warranty.

Old 30-10-2007, 01:45 AM

but it also has to be remembered that a lot of these chinese bikes are so cheap that any muppet can afford one, so they get bought by some numbnuts with half a brain, thrashed mercilessly without being warmed up or run in, never get chains oiled, filters cleaned, oil changed, and when they go pop, the owner slags them off as cheap crap, nothing to do with any lack of care at all. the one my mrs uses was owned by a halfwit 16 yr old who didnt even use a screwdriver to remove the panels, he just ripped them off with his hand, breaking all the mountinf tabs, then when we got it he told us that "the plastics crap on these chinky scooters" as though he knew what he was talking about. any machine that is uncared for and abused will go pop sooner or later.

http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php

Last edited by johnr; 30-10-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old 30-10-2007, 07:46 AM

We dread them coming in, often the plastics "are crap" no flex whatsoever slightest bend and crack. some Boatians are better, jinlun are really hit and miss. Screaming Beagle in Tamworth can supply everything for the 2 above. But Kinroad, no sorry have not seen a good one yet.

usual request i get is can you make my jinlun 50 four stroke go as well as the speedfight 2 you did?
ans.. no! speedfight 2 is much more tunable with a host of big bore kits, exhausts, etc.