100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 01-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Default N.A.B.D Hypocrites???????

Just got the April Issue of Back Street Harleys and in there is the NABD ad for Nabbed 16.

Now here's the bit that made me spit my Marmite on Toast out!!!

At the bottom of said advert it says "ALCOHOL WILL NOT BE PERMITTED THROUGH THE GATE AS WE WILL BE SELLING BEERS WINES AND SPIRITS AT CHEAP PRICES ON THE BARS"

WTF????

Then just below that it says "ALL PROCEEDS FROM THIS EVENT GO TO HELP DISABLED PEOPLE TO ENJOY THE FREEDOM & INDEPENDANCE OF MOTORCYCLING"

Why do NABD say in one bit, that you cannot bring your own beer etc then have the Bollox to say they want to help disabled people enjoy the FREEDOM & INDEPENDANCE of motorcycling???????

I know what people will say, that the bar will take money and use it for adaptions etc, which i don't have a problem with!!
What i do have a problem with is being told what to do, by anyone, even my Mum!!!

When i was in blighty i'd always take my own drink to rallies!! And those who dictate to folk about "you can't bring you own drink" can plainly GET FUCKED!!

Cheers all
Old 01-06-2007, 11:05 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Boy
Just got the April Issue of Back Street Harleys and in there is the NABD ad for Nabbed 16.

Now here's the bit that made me spit my Marmite on Toast out!!!

At the bottom of said advert it says "ALCOHOL WILL NOT BE PERMITTED THROUGH THE GATE AS WE WILL BE SELLING BEERS WINES AND SPIRITS AT CHEAP PRICES ON THE BARS"

WTF????
unfortunatelty its part of the licencing lawas which rally oraginsers have to adheard to so they can stage their rally

Quote:
Then just below that it says "ALL PROCEEDS FROM THIS EVENT GO TO HELP DISABLED PEOPLE TO ENJOY THE FREEDOM & INDEPENDANCE OF MOTORCYCLING"

Why do NABD say in one bit, that you cannot bring your own beer etc then have the Bollox to say they want to help disabled people enjoy the FREEDOM & INDEPENDANCE of motorcycling???????
you can like every one else does, bring your own beer, as theres no stringent checks. unlike some other events, again its part of the law govening staging events.

NABD are one of the few organisations who actually use ALL the monies raised, then put it back to the cause they are for, no doubt someone more knowledgable wil correct me, and will be more precise on the details.

the actual staffing Admin cost of NABD (1 person) I understand are paid for by a grant from the national lottery and not from the funds riased by NABD
as I understand everyone else works for free, for the betterment of the cause
Old 01-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peirre O`bollox
unfortunatelty its part of the licencing lawas which rally oraginsers have to adheard to so they can stage their rally
I have heard this a few times but i'm afraid that being a total cynic i don't beleive it!!
I'd like to see the written lisencing laws to prove that this is the case.

Also, if that is the case why didn't they put it on the Ad??
All it says is "ALCOHOL WILL NOT BE PERMITTED THROUGH THE GATE AS WE WILL BE SELLING BEERS WINES AND SPIRITS AT CHEAP PRICES ON THE BARS"

So they're implying, that as their beer is so cheap you cannot bring your own.

Cheers
Old 02-06-2007, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

Marmite...isn't that a (pome) pommy name for vegemite.... John

Pome = prisoner of mother England...

I can hear my wife calling me...
Old 02-06-2007, 12:32 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

I back Rick up completely on this ............completely correct .....His beer prices are fair and all proceeds go to NABD.......I've helped unload the beer wagon and know how much goes.....Anyone whining about this one deserves the Rags mans trumpet up their arse.....
Old 02-06-2007, 05:44 AM

Send a message via MSN to Yoda

the costs of putting rallies on these days is not cheap
gone are the days where it was a tent in a field with a fire and thats it
now you need insurance incase a blade of grass is to big and injures someone etc.. as well as countless amounts of red tape, i am sure creature can confirm this.
Rallies have to be financially viable, and that does mean selling beer, whether its the club or the venue hosting it making the money on the beer is irrelevant, if a rallies loses money, then chances are it wont be on again.

this is not just about the nabd rally in particular, its all rallies

yoda yr gwefan

Look At My Goodies

Last edited by Yoda; 02-06-2007 at 05:47 AM.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:30 AM

Bloody Aussie wingers!
Old 02-06-2007, 06:34 AM

Besides its not as if you are going to turn up from Oz....is it?

NABD are not going to search you as you turn up for acohol, but they have to put in that to cover themselves, it mainly stems from the use of glass bottles which are a big danger in a field full of drunks, and at the last one I think £2 quid a pint was very good. Good ale as well!

There are strict laws in this country on the suject of acohol at outdoor events, they do vary from council to council though, its the local council that control the laws on local events and they have the last say o the matter.

NABD always put on a good do so having a dig about their advert aint on, especialy as you threw your toys out of the pram without checking on why.

Free the binary 10
Old 02-06-2007, 06:55 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro
Besides its not as if you are going to turn up from Oz....is it?

NABD are not going to search you as you turn up for acohol, but they have to put in that to cover themselves, it mainly stems from the use of glass bottles which are a big danger in a field full of drunks, and at the last one I think £2 quid a pint was very good. Good ale as well!

There are strict laws in this country on the suject of acohol at outdoor events, they do vary from council to council though, its the local council that control the laws on local events and they have the last say o the matter.

NABD always put on a good do so having a dig about their advert aint on, especialy as you threw your toys out of the pram without checking on why.
Pyro,
the fact that i may not turn up is Irrelevant, whether i'm in Blighty or unable to turn up from some part of Blighty has nothing to do with it!

The glass in the field is a good point, so if that's the case why not say "NO GLASS"??

You say "There are strict laws in this country on the suject of acohol at outdoor events, they do vary from council to council though, its the local council that control the laws on local events and they have the last say o the matter".
There's nothing on the Ad in BSH about Coucil regs so what's your statement got to do with that?

I don't doubt they put a good do on, and i've not thrown my toys out of the pram at all, i have just asked a question on whether they are being hypocrites!

Ta
Old 02-06-2007, 06:57 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie
Bloody Aussie wingers!
Bloody GS owners who can't spell Whingers!!!!!
Old 02-06-2007, 07:20 AM

Ah but there are more than one way to spell winge in whinge........
Feck off back to yer Fosters......
Old 02-06-2007, 07:27 AM

People will ALWAYS take in their own beer. No rally organisers can please ALL of the people ALL of the time.
As long as ya don't flaunt the fact you are drinking your own stuff, I don't see it as a problem really..........

www.facebook.com/siobhanathon

Leah Wilby 10.07.95 - 13.06.11
Beautiful, funny, clever and kind. Missed so very, very much.
www.facebook.com/siobhanathon
Old 02-06-2007, 07:33 AM

Sounded to me like it was a rant, The main reason will be funding, no point in raising money if no one spends any, they get the beer at good prices and sell it about a 1/3 cheaper than you could buy it in a pub, so whats the point in bringing any. But Local councils have these stupid laws regarding just about eveything these days, last time I had anything to do with a rally it was easier to ban everything than fuck around, although we didnt enforce anything too hard.

I am sure that Rick and the guys wont give a **** if you brought in a couple of cans though. So thats a fiver for 4 cans of piss lager or £4 quid for 2 pints of get you off yer face real ale....hmmmm decisions decisions..

Free the binary 10
Old 02-06-2007, 07:45 AM

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

Quote:
Sounded to me like it was a rant
Quote:
Sounded to me like it you off yer face on aussie ale
nuff said
Old 02-06-2007, 08:26 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

I've read this post and wasn,t going to comment coz I dont like getting into 'slanging matches'...............

I think I can honestly say that the majority of folks on here , and other biker forums etc would be fine with the 'no beer to be brought on site rule' ....especially for the NABD , if the beer onsite is a reasonable price ......HOWEVER there are ALWAYS the minority who will not be happy .

But you can virtually guarantee that it would be the one's in the minority who would be first in the que for a hand out from such an organisation if they needed an adaption to their bike /trike to get back on the road .

My philosophy is ...............I can NEVER know if I will need the help from certain charities ....or people for that matter.......so by supporting them it may be that IF you do ever need a helping hand they will hopefully be there forme or mine .
Old 02-06-2007, 08:59 AM

I've just been to an event (not bike related) with a couple of thousand people in attendance. It has a bar and the only restriction is no one else is aloud to sell or swap alcohol on site (due to the new laws)... Bringing your own was not a problem...

Which is a god send, as the bar had the worse tasting cider I have ever had the displeasure to taste, I heard that the larger was even worse... I nipped off the Asdas asap...

So I don't agree or understand the reason behind this.
www.youtube.com/Gothtecdotcom
------------------------
Old 02-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Mustang Boy, try putting on a rally over here, it is unbeleivable the amount of red tape and bull sh1t you have to go through. And now with the "no smoking" law coming into effect next month, it will be even harder. If one person lights up inside the marquee and a council busybody sees it, they could revoke the licence immediately and kick everyone off site! And that is not scaremongering either.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:14 AM
Chat Slapper

I thought that £2 a pint in the real ale bar was pretty good,so we stayed in there all night on the Friday
Seriously tho' we were pitched down near the car park and the amount of beer coming in was rediculous.I have no problem with a couple of cans in your luggage for when you arrive but not masses of crates and 24 packs being bought in.I bet the bar didn't take any of thier money all weekend.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:31 AM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Quote:
the freedom and independance is for disabled people to get out and about without the need for others to be there to "help" them SO NO they are not being hypocritical to say no beer as they are on about a different freedom to the perceived one that stops you from bringing your own alcohol on site.

And besides you are obviously just a tight fecker and so shouldn't bother even going to rallies as you have to pay an entrance fee cos all rallies should be free as bikers are supposed to be free, in fact they should pay you to turn up as most rallies' entertainment are from the people who turn up and so should they be paid for their free entertainment.

your whole comment and argument is just bull**** so say sorry and agree how wrong you are and maybe you will be a better person for the experience. Stop hiding in the bogs and buy a round when it's your turn.
Old 02-06-2007, 10:07 AM

Anyone that moans that they couldn't take there own beer to a rally.
Do you turn up at your local with a crate on your shoulder?
Cos they have a £3 entry charge
Plus i have heard of people taking in silly amounts of crates and selling it around the camp,under cutting the bar.
At the end of the day rallies cost money to put on,if you don't want to pay for that then that event will fold.
Take your pick,let beer on site with no restriction and stick a fiver on the entry price.
Money has got to come from somewhere
Old 02-06-2007, 10:20 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtailbiker
the freedom and independance is for disabled people to get out and about without the need for others to be there to "help" them SO NO they are not being hypocritical to say no beer as they are on about a different freedom to the perceived one that stops you from bringing your own alcohol on site.

And besides you are obviously just a tight fecker and so shouldn't bother even going to rallies as you have to pay an entrance fee cos all rallies should be free as bikers are supposed to be free, in fact they should pay you to turn up as most rallies' entertainment are from the people who turn up and so should they be paid for their free entertainment.

your whole comment and argument is just bull**** so say sorry and agree how wrong you are and maybe you will be a better person for the experience. Stop hiding in the bogs and buy a round when it's your turn.
"as they are on about a different freedom to the perceived one that stops you from bringing your own alcohol on site".

Righto, so that's it sorted then, it's a different sort of freedom, i get it now!!

Tight Fecker??? Me??? No i'm afraid you've got me mixed up with someone else.

I've not said i object to paying to get into Rallies..... just the wording of the ad!!! Did you want me to explain or can you get someone to read it for you??

As for saying sorry??? What the Fuck for?? For not agreeing with you?? Bollox!!

Cheers all
Old 02-06-2007, 10:28 AM

I think the wording was the problem in your post as well.
So thats fair then.

Free the binary 10
Old 02-06-2007, 10:39 AM

A good many years ago when a bike rally was a meetin' of folks at a chalk pit or such like an' the music, if there was any, was provided by the cassette player from a transit van that had been used to get the small marquee there, everyone bought their own booze. Times change.

Folks still bring their own booze, to NABD, to the R&B, the Bulldog an' many minor rallies, ours included. There is a problem in that it is disrespectful of the venue or host club. At ours we discourage folks from bringin' their own into the bar itself, as rightly so the owner of the site will kick off an' has done so at folks that do, he has a livin' to make. We get a rally site, not so bloody easy to find these days, an' he makes some money. He doesn't have a problem either if folks bring their own beer as long as it's drunk outside the bar.

NABD was rather a poor choice to illustrate your point as firstly it's a charity event, an' secondly, the beer was cheap. As already pointed out, the beer in the real-ale bar that I was hostin' was runnin' at £2 a pint. The beer in the main an' family marquees was £1 a can mostly. Hardly expensive Mustang Boy. I know the reasonin' behind bringin' your own, it can get bloody expensive, that's why I now cook my own grub at rallies again as the cost over a weekend can be prohibitive to eat from the vans so I do understand where you're comin' from.

Bottom line is that folks will do what they do. You can't really stop them apart from a search as they come in. If it's been stated that the club/organisation runnin' the rally would rather you didn't bring your own alcohol in, an' you do so obviously, you can't really grumble if you're asked to drink it before you come in, hand it over, chuck it away or shove it up your arse - none of which I have ever experienced happenin', tho I was told by a bloke down the pub that it once happened to his mate.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEViE
if you're asked to drink it before you come in, hand it over, chuck it away or shove it up your arse
a few years ago I experienced the cart blank searching of folks arriving at the bulldog bash.
a very large pile of abandoned booze had acumilated by the end of the day.

Tbh I don`t have a prioblem with bringing a few beers in the panniers to drink at the tent or while your cooking a meal at the tent
Old 02-06-2007, 11:52 AM

id say the nabd do a damn fine job

the real ale was cheaper than in pubs and in good nick

the ****ty cans were cheap and as good as you get from tescos

as the foul mouthed proffessor has said only one person takes any money from nabd and she is funded by a lottery grant the rest of em work for gratis a lot of the time it costs them to do work for the association....

my mate recieved a grant from them to adapt his trike as well as a lot of information that was invaluable when it came to registering it

to be honest mustang i think yer wrong......

and i found the way you put your point was just plain insulting......
Old 02-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by critch
id say the nabd do a damn fine job

the real ale was cheaper than in pubs and in good nick

the ****ty cans were cheap and as good as you get from tescos

as the foul mouthed proffessor has said only one person takes any money from nabd and she is funded by a lottery grant the rest of em work for gratis a lot of the time it costs them to do work for the association....

my mate recieved a grant from them to adapt his trike as well as a lot of information that was invaluable when it came to registering it

to be honest mustang i think yer wrong......

and i found the way you put your point was just plain insulting......
Critch,
let me get one thing absolutely clear, my post is in no way a criticism of the NABD, no way whatsoever!!!
Merely a point that how can an organisation/club/rally organiser who stands for freedom and independance state that they say you can't make a choice on who you buy your drink from!

Neither have i said they charge too much/not enough etc etc!!

What's next, you have to buy your food on site and cannot bring food on site??? (Not just NABD but all rallies)

As for being insulted??? Why are you insulted?? Because i dare to question the ethics of the NABD?? Or because i have an opinion that differs from yours??

Cheers'en.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:26 PM

Always been trouble-makers.. these fecking Aussies....

The thing is that you have a choice... if the advert says please don't bring your own beer... then your choice is quite simple... either go and do what they ask.. or go somewhere else and drink your own stuff...
Old 02-06-2007, 12:39 PM

Location: In the same Farmhouse for 14 generations with NO OUTSIDERS

They also ask you not to bring pets, have fires or piss on the marquee
Don't see the difference meself
Old 02-06-2007, 12:42 PM

As long as the beer is at a decent price there shouldnt be a need to take your own.
Its when the beer prices go up just for the event that people start to bring there own in.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Critch,
let me get one thing absolutely clear, my post is in no way a criticism of the NABD, no way whatsoever!!!
Merely a point that how can an organisation/club/rally organiser who stands for freedom and independance state that they say you can't make a choice on who you buy your drink from!

well mate as it has been mentioned before its summit todo with the licencing laws ill try and find out the relevant passage from mankind if i can. weve had to use the very same phrase on our old rally flyeres and tickets in durham and took no notice....

As for being insulted???
not me personally but nabd.... (which i am no way invoved btw).... you may not have intended it but i think some parts of your posts and the inferences therein were offensive to all the people who work damned hard for disabled bikers through their posts in the nabd. i was at the nabd rally and the workers never seemed to stop and their doing that gratis mate..so to infer that they wont allow people to bring in their own ale just to make more cash for themselves IS insulting. youve had a certain well conected member of the nabd say he had no problems with people bringing cans in to have while cooking or around their tents. at the end of the day all monies raised go to support and help disabled lads and lasses get back on the road so bringing too much ale there would be imo rather bad form, what what.......

Cheers'en.