100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Old 01-06-2007, 07:32 AM
Chatter Box

Default Our wonderfull country

Pinched from another forum.............
Nothing to do with bikes, but this made my blood boil and I know there will be folk here who feel the same. Patriotic though I am, there are times when I'm thoroughly bloody ashamed of my country, and this one of them.

Tul Bahadur Pun served in the 3rd Battalion 6th Gurkha Rifles during World War II. In Burma, on June 23rd, 1944, his Battalion was ordered to attack the Railway Bridge at Mogaung. Immediately the attack developed the enemy opened concentrated and sustained cross fire, so intense that both the leading platoons were pinned to the ground and the whole of Pun's Section was wiped out with the exception of himself, the Section commander and one other man. The Section commander immediately led the remaining two men in a charge on the Red House but both he and the other rifleman were badly wounded amost at once.

Pun then seized a Bren Gun, and continued the charge on the heavily bunkered position alone, in the face of shattering automatic fire, over thirty yards of mud, craters and over fallen trees, sillouetted by the sun coming up behind him. Despite these overwhelming odds, he reached the Japanese position, killed three of the occupants and put five more to flight and captured two machine guns. He then gave accurate supporting fire from the bunker to the remainder of his platoon which enabled them to reach their objective.

He was awarded the Victoria Cross for his near suicidal bravery, and I hope no one disputes that he earned it. He is 1 of only 12 living recipients of this country's highest award for valour, four of whom are Gurkhas.

Mr. Pun is now 84 years old, and in such poor health that he has to be carried in a basket on the day's journey he has to make once a month to collect his 132 army pension. He wishes to move to the UK in order to get proper treatment for his medical condition and consistent access to the daily medication that he needs. However, his application has been refused by the Home Office on the grounds that, wait for it:

"You have failed to demonstrate that you have strong ties with the UK."

<bear with me a minute please, whilst the the waves of unspeakable rage and shame subside to a manageable level>

For pity's sake, what the bloody-blue-blazes does he have to do?

Isn't, "...outstanding courage and superb gallantry in the face of odds which meant almost certain death"* whilst fighting our wars for us enough?

What is?

*(quote from his VC citation)

The good news is that we can do something to fix this. An independent immigration judge has powers of discretion in these matters, and Mr. Pun's appeal goes before him in August. Petitions and letters/e-mails of support will be presented to the judge and can have a REAL EFFECT. Please take the time to sign the petition and send a (polite) e-mail offering support to the address shown.

If anybody's earned the right to our support, it's this guy.

Thanks.

Article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...page_id=181 1

Petition: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/gurkhas-rights/

Support e-mails: support@vchero.co.uk
Old 01-06-2007, 07:43 AM
Beefy Pickle doesn't bat for the other side (as far as we know)

Send a message via MSN to kitkatman

i read something about that last week, what a fuckin farce...........

.....THEN I REALISED IT SAID THICK CUT

QUALIFIED MEMBER OF THE MOBILE DRUNKEN DISPLAY TEAM....