100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 29-05-2007, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon-tony
http://www.choppershack.com/pages/ch...ck%20home.html

I agree lets face it, if you build bikes for other poeple, ie commisions, sell t shirts with your branding etc, then what else are you?
in my opinion facilities etc are not the guide as to if someone is pro or not, but if they offer to build bikes for other poeple then that makes them pro builder
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, it's probably a duck.
Old 29-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Nik

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beer Monsters
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck, it's probably a duck.
Only if its quack doesn't echo ...
Old 29-05-2007, 03:39 PM
Chat Slut

Quote:

I agree lets face it, if you build bikes for other poeple, ie commisions, sell t shirts with your branding etc, then what else are you?
in my opinion facilities etc are not the guide as to if someone is pro or not, but if they offer to build bikes for other poeple then that makes them pro builder
totally agree. If someone's getting paid for doing something, it's a profession regardless of beeing someone's main activity or not.
Maybe another view could be if a person puts in the market parts or complete bikes for sale. Maybe there could be a difference between pro builders and industrial builders, beeing that the first builts custom bikes to a specific customer and the second just produces items to the open market, making what was a custom part/bike/trike to become an industrial item.
Old 29-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik
Only if its quack doesn't echo ...
You obviously don't watch Mythbusters, matey boy
Old 29-05-2007, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
You obviously don't watch Mythbusters, matey boy
That's why I used the

Old 29-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Chat Slut

Anyway, in his site we can find this: ...choppershack is the sole creation of owner/builder Phil Piper...
Old 29-05-2007, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik
That's why I used the

The appropriate response should have been "What Duck?" "Bugrit, Millenium hand and shrimp"
Old 29-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
The appropriate response should have been "What Duck?" "Bugrit, Millenium hand and shrimp"
I'm sorry, I don't own an anorak ...

Old 29-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik
I'm sorry, I don't own an anorak ...

No, you just have a forum full of 'em
Old 29-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
No, you just have a forum full of 'em
It's funny 'cos it's true ...
Old 29-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
And my dog doesn't talk...Pratchett strikes again... John
Old 29-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Quote:
[url] but if they offer to build bikes for other poeple then that makes them pro builder
sorry mate i cant agree ive built bikes for mates and profit and the last thing i would call meself was a pro builder...................

if you work full time doing nowt else then yes you are if not no i.m.h.o.
Old 30-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Chatter Box

Quote:

i dunno about that really.

im building a chop for a bloke at the moment (though i dont sell t-shirts ), have built a few fighters, modded various bikes, but i dont consider myself a professional builder.

most of my work at the moment is servicing and repairs on bikes from a 1958 vespa to a 2007 m.v. agusta 312 with a couple of harleys and a kawa in between.

if i was dedicated to just building bikes, i could say i was a professional builder (although most professionals build to a far higher standard than i could ever dream of achieving), but im just a bloke who has a small independent workshop catering to as much of the road bike field as i can
Old 30-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

ok but what Im saying is that if your offering your services in return for cash to build someone a bike, and we arent talking about building a couple of grand chop for a mate, I mean offering it to anyone thats got the money, then surely thats a business plan and therefore professional

ok maybe then we ought to try asking phil piper if hes an amateur home builder LOL

to be classed as a pro then, do you need to have your own shop and do it as your main job day in day out etc???

what about a theoretical someone that may build just 1 bike a year, make 100k profit from that one bike and then sit around for 11 months in the sun, hes not doing it full time, so hes not a pro then??

I am and always will be the amateur home builder, too fussy and finicky to ever make any money building for other people,

Last edited by devon-tony; 30-05-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 30-05-2007, 11:01 AM
Chatter Box

Quote:
to be classed as a pro then, do you need to have your own shop and do it as your main job day in day out etc???

what about a theoretical someone that may build just 1 bike a year, make 100k profit from that one bike and then sit around for 11 months in the sun, hes not doing it full time, so hes not a pro then??
for me (in my humble opinion), both descriptions would fit the bill for professional builder.

myself id describe more as somone who works on bikes, but occasionally builds stuff
Old 30-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Quote:

I am and always will be the amateur home builder, too fussy and finicky to ever make any money building for other people,
mr piper always seems to sell his bikes at a competative price for the standard of work done. never seen one go for a 100 grand never mind make a 100 grand profit tony......
Old 30-05-2007, 12:05 PM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

didnt say that he did, I was merely pointing out a theory!, ie that if somone could make a lot of profit from one bike and then live on it for a while if they so wished, would they be a pro builder?

end of the day I can understand how frustrating it must be to some popele that build bikes only to be beaten in a show by a trailer queen, but is it really that important?

surely you build the bikes to ride and to your taste etc, and with the big bucks bikes that are being discussed here, is the prize money that important to the winners anyway?

if it is then perhaps drop the prize money, good ol fashioned trophy and handshake for the winner
Old 30-05-2007, 12:13 PM

right then I seem to have bimbled and wombled about a bit, and thread sort of losing the original idea

so came up with an idea (dictionary)

Proffesional

participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs

engaged in by persons receiving financial return

HMM thats about sums it up

the official meaning of professional