100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 10-05-2007, 06:28 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Send a message via ICQ to Goff Send a message via MSN to Goff Send a message via Yahoo to Goff
Default Time for a change

My CBR6 is up for sale. Main reason being is im not getting on with it height wise. Yes i could have it lowered etc, but i dont want to start messing about with it like that. I've had a look at others....tried to find a Cagiva V Raptor thou but they are like rockin horse ****e. Anywhooo.........i decided to take a look at some cruisers.....and i REALLY like them. I tried on a Yam XVS650 Dragstar classic and it just felt "right". Now then....i have never ridden a cruiser before....ever.....and i know its a compeltely different style of riding. So i would be really grateful if some of you lovely peeps could give me some opinions on them (an no i shall not be growing a beard and wearing tassles! ). I have looked at the honda's too and shall hopefully going to try some more on today. I have about 4k to spend. I'd like to know what you think...should i go for a bigger engine size for that extra grunt etc etc etc.

Thankyou muchly
Old 10-05-2007, 06:48 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via MSN to Yoda

hello
long time no see
hows life treating you

Yoda

yoda yr gwefan

Look At My Goodies
Old 10-05-2007, 06:52 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Goff Send a message via MSN to Goff Send a message via Yahoo to Goff

Hey hey hey Yoda Im fine and dandy thanks, just been busy with Uni etc etc. Hows you honey?
Old 10-05-2007, 07:05 AM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goff
My CBR6 is up for sale. Main reason being is im not getting on with it height wise. Yes i could have it lowered etc, but i dont want to start messing about with it like that. I've had a look at others....tried to find a Cagiva V Raptor thou but they are like rockin horse ****e. Anywhooo.........i decided to take a look at some cruisers.....and i REALLY like them. I tried on a Yam XVS650 Dragstar classic and it just felt "right". Now then....i have never ridden a cruiser before....ever.....and i know its a compeltely different style of riding. So i would be really grateful if some of you lovely peeps could give me some opinions on them (an no i shall not be growing a beard and wearing tassles! . I have looked at the honda's too and shall hopefully going to try some more on today. I have about 4k to spend. I'd like to know what you think...should i go for a bigger engine size for that extra grunt etc etc etc.

Thankyou muchly

If ya can ride a bike ya can ride a bike ....always hear this ..it's a different style of riding cr4p .. its still riding a bike, aim beteween the green bits, avoid the metal boxes that are trying to kill you, have fun... you'll know when your riding it what it will and will not do ... not diff riding "style" but maybe a diff riding "position".

650 Dragstar is OK .. and there's loads of add on Extra's for any of the off the peg custom bikes. GREAT fun to be had with ... IMO I got a VT6 chop Missus has VL800 and I had a mate with a VN1500 (still got the mate, he dont got the 15 ) .. there's V little init to be honest top speed wise... grunt off the line = bigger CC ... you aint gonna be sitting at 120mph much no more

4K is a good budget ... Honda have best quality finish (IMO)

VT750 Shadow
VT1100 Shadow
VL800 Volusia
VZ(?)800 Maruarder
VN800
XVS1100 Dragstar
VN1500

these are all prob within reach on that budget. there's more but forgedaboutit ..you look for em ..heh heh

I went through a sport bike phase, last one a GSXR750K1 2001, But I got fed up with and went back to my roots .. bought the VT and chopped it about and I have never looked back..also have an XJR13 but prefer the VT for smiles and smiles of road bashing.

lotta people about got beards n tassle's fella ... LOTTA PEOPLE... lot of em gonna come talk to you if you make your bike nice ...

no YOU dont worry

Last edited by Jus1; 10-05-2007 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:26 AM

Thanks Jus...thats really very helpful. Im off over to Preston today to check out a couple of dealers over there and take a look at a 650 Dragstar they have in.
I've had sports bikes for years, hence my need for information from people who own them, and if i could grow a beard i would.....but im a girly....so i cant
Old 10-05-2007, 07:29 AM

Send a message via MSN to Worjorj

Hi Goff, regarding the Raptor and height issue. My wife is 5'4'' and has the normal raptor. We've had to cut down the suspension and side stand to get it to the right height. Just softening off the suspension made it too bouncy in the corners.
Chuffin lovely bike tho...
Old 10-05-2007, 07:30 AM

Send a message via MSN to Worjorj

Quote:
... and if i could grow a beard i would.....but im a girly....so i cant
I think you end up with a goaty beard after about 20 face lifts
Old 10-05-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks Jus...thats really very helpful. Im off over to Preston today to check out a couple of dealers over there and take a look at a 650 Dragstar they have in.
I've had sports bikes for years, hence my need for information from people who own them, and if i could grow a beard i would.....but im a girly....so i cant
sorry, one second ... ahhh that's it... had foot stuck in mouth ...
Are you absolutley sure your a Girle? .. I mean REALLY sure? ... lol ... Only.... When you wrote "don't worry Im not going to grow a beard and wear tassles"

see .... now.... you got ME thinking .. your NOT going to grow a beard .. heh heh heh .. Niiiice

I would say VT750 over the 650 Drag ...total my opinion .. is a sexier lookin bike for a chook, again IMO .....

though my missus looks crackin on her VL800 .... good luck n'all that

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/023159/

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1015...8468pSWuLnnQFj

Last edited by Jus1; 10-05-2007 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:36 AM
Chat Virgin

biggest thing would be instead of leaning forward, your be sitting up right,
and low to the ground,
i was going for a bandit but then saw this virago 750
Old 10-05-2007, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

If you've got 4,000 to spare and you can really afford to spend it, why not go for the biggest engine you can afford..The Kawasaki VN1500, 1600 and maybe even the VN2000 will all be within your price range..and the bigger engine means that six months down the line you won't have 'grown out' of it...it's no harder handling a bike with a big engine than the same bike with a small one, but you will have that bit of extra grunt if you need it to get out of trouble...When I was younger I always used to buy something that was just a bit too much for me to handle..and then gow into it... John
Old 10-05-2007, 08:19 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Had a dragstar 650 for a couple of days while my old bike was being serviced, found it a bit buzzy and gutless, go for something with a bigger motor or you might get bored very quickly.
Old 10-05-2007, 08:32 PM

Hey Goff, how are ya hun?
About 3 years ago I bought a VN800 to ride down to Almeria in Spain and was so impressed with it Ive kept it. Its comfy, (I did a 10 hour stretch on that trip going like the clappers to get back in time for a previous engagement and only at around 7 in the saddle did me arse start to protest.) It'll do around 120 miles to the tank at a steady 60 and 100 at 70, cheap to insure, affordable usage all year round, easy to maintain, (except filling the bastid with water), sounds pretty good with the right pipes, handles well if you know the feet forward style and will allow for a few mistakes if you push it too far). Like you, I had never ridden a cruiser before, I prefer streetfighter style bikes to ride around on but it felt ok, then relaxed, now fun to ride hard. I run Continentals front and back, putting a wider tyre on the rear than standard. Holds oil really well and so far ive not had to top it up between services. If you get an older model and want to change the monoshock or reset it you'll need to take it to a garage and let them sweat and stress and struggle their nuts off.......

Er, VN800, recommended.

Last edited by griff2000; 10-05-2007 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:06 PM

It's so sloooooow!

I had an old tatty TR1 that was a great laugh. Actually won a trophy (almost by default, mind) for best rat at NABD. Straight thru pipes, low seat height and it'd rip along sitting comfortably at 90.

I've also ridden a VN800 and I almost fell asleep. No guts, no soul.

Is a 'proper custom' an option? Then you can still get your speed buzz but at the right height for you?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:27 AM

Anything low and of the cruiser/custom family will do me. I'd like to be able to get 100 out of it though so i can get my ass off the motorways that lil bit quicker before i fall asleep
Old 11-05-2007, 04:23 PM

Was told of an 1100 Dragstar for sale today down Essex way if you're interested? 1900. PM me and i'll get you all the details.
Minxy, was the VN you rode able to change gear?...........Mine goes like hot snot.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:30 PM

Yeah but it'd been stood for a while if that may have affected the performance? Completely standard bike. Maybe it was the riding position that put me to sleep? And it was very very quiet - could barely hear it running. At the time tho I'd ridden nowt but EFEs and 1100 GSXRs for a fair old while. And quick is all comparative, I reckon. I've been buzzing around on that 750 custom thing til it sold and that seemed really quick. The 11 when it came back on the road felt much much slower but the speedo told me different

I wasnt the only 1 with that opinion re the VN8s tho. Friend of mine was very very disappointed with his and only rode it twice before moving it on. Maybe you've got yourself a good un