Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 29-03-2007, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Default Motorcycle Speeds Capped

This worryingly rears its head again.

Speeding Bikes
Old 29-03-2007, 02:59 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Was it awol that had the comic strip about bikes had been outlawed and people where stil riding? Can see it coming true
Old 29-03-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Terrorist
Was it awol that had the comic strip about bikes had been outlawed and people where stil riding? Can see it coming true
Dont worry mate its only aimed at fast bikes

Yep think it was awol, it really wont suprise me if they try and get this one through, think its the worst thing since leg protectors reared its ugly head many moons ago.
Old 29-03-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B
Dont worry mate its only aimed at fast bikes
You wanna race?!!!
Old 29-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Chat Slapper

Send a message via AIM to Skooshbag

Seen this somewhere else. Question is, if they do not see the need for a motorcycle to exceed 65mph then will they apply the same ruling to motorcars? Have they compared the number of bike related deaths to car related deaths for the same year? probably not.
Old 29-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

"Giving evidence to the committee, transport author Stephen Plowden said he could not see why anyone needed a bike with a top speed of more than 65 mph."
What apart from those roads with a speed limit of 70mph. Whats wrong, a bike once overtake you while you sat sweating in your car in a traffic jam

Found this
"A government funded campaign group (i.e. funded by our hard earned money) is lobbying MPs and Ministers for an immediate ban on Motorcycles in City and Town Centres and to work towards a total ban. The group called the Slower Speed Initiative, (you just know from their title where they are coming from on the thought of private transport v state run public transport), is fronting the usual suspects of Transport 2000, Sustrans and Road Peace, (which I understand is form of paramilitary organisation for pedestrians).

At our expense a Mr Stephen Plowden of the group was called in to tell the House of Commons Transport Committee that Motorcycles were not compatible with residential streets, and that particularly high powered motorcycles (and by high powered this idiot means anything over 12hp & 125cc) were not suitable for the blanket 20mph speed limit across our towns and cities that his group are also demanding. Obviously he has not seen the Police motorcycles leading one of his protest marches."
and this
"Motorbikes are worse for the environment than cars in terms of emissions and green-friendly practices, a transport adviser has told members of parliament.

The comments came from Slower Speeds Initiative advisor Stephen Plowden, who told the Transport Committee in the house of commons that motorbikes "only [carry] one person, and I think for other gaseous emissions I am right in saying they are actually worse than cars", according to Motorcycle News.

An increased focus on environmental issues could spell bad news for those seeking motorbike insurance, with recent surveys indicating that they were eager for cheaper insurance in return for driving greener vehicles.

Premiums for more environmentally-unfriendly vehicles such as bikes could be forced up by such practices, with some providers already offering 15 per cent discounts on insurance for alternative fuel vehicles.

Mr Plowden's comments drew mixed reaction from other industry figures.

"Even modern motorcycles are extremely polluting," said transport charity Sustrans spokesman Don Matthew.

But the Rider Connect group said the pair were using the platform as a means of promoting an anti-bike agenda, Motorcycle News reported.

Performance Direct is one of the UK's leading independent insurance brokers.

From performance, prestige and modified cars to classic and imported vehicles, vans, motorcycles and scooters, we provide value for money insurance cover often when other companies can't help.

Our extensive panel of over 100 insurance underwriters means that we search the insurance market for the best deal and the right policy. Whatever you drive, whatever your situation, our insurance experts will work hard on your behalf.

For all your insurance needs, contact Performance Direct now on 0870 420 3896 (open 7 days a week) or click for an on-line motor insurance quote.

"
"Mr Plowden: I think there are situations where it would make good sense to ban motorcycles. They are much more dangerous to pedestrians than cars are. I quoted the figure of 3.7 in my evidence. There are 3.7 as many pedestrians killed or seriously injured by motorcyclists per mile driven than cars. In London the figure is rather higher. It is 5.2 based on the years 1999 and 2000. So in areas where you are trying to encourage walking and where pedestrians should be king, I think it makes very good sense to ban motorcycles, but there, as I tried to say, the substitute would be a vehicle which had a little bit of power but was entirely compatible with a pushbike.

Q177 Mr. Eric Martlew: On the general usage of motorbikes, I can understand the concern of high-powered motorbikes, because it is very often fairly affluent middle-aged men who have not grown up, but the reality is that a lot of people who use motorbikes do so because they are cheap and they cannot afford the alternative of a car, and, while we have a very good transport in London, it is so cheap compared to the public transport system. So really are you saying we should punish people because they cannot afford a motorcar or they cannot afford to use expensive public transport?

Mr Plowden: Not at all. What I was suggesting was that I do not quite see why anybody needs a motorcycle more powerful than the learner machines, which have a top speed, commonly, of 60 or 65 miles an hour.

"
Old 29-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Chat Slapper

Send a message via AIM to Skooshbag

Hermann, you got a link for where you got the bottom half of your post from?
Old 29-03-2007, 03:35 PM

The bottom bit is from
http://www.ericmartlew.org.uk/transcomm070207.htm
The other two are from
http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/vi...375a1ca40e0d98
and
http://www.performancedirect.co.uk/n...ewsID=18082098
Seems to be a busy little boy our mr Plowden
Old 29-03-2007, 06:04 PM

Send a message via MSN to Captain Smurf

Quote:
Phantoms of Liberty - still wear the patch on me cutoff

QVANTI CANICVLA ILLE IN FENESTRA

http://www.captsmurf.co.uk

Flickr

captainsmurf.tel
Old 29-03-2007, 06:42 PM
Complete and utter git

65 mph max ! I wonder if that plowden was the class cissy ?

the mag response - to the parliamentry report........
http://www.mag-uk.org/index2.html
Old 29-03-2007, 06:45 PM

65 eh?I'll try but I doubt mine could go that fast........
Seriously tho',it's pish.Saw Mutchie on the Beeb this morning.
Old 30-03-2007, 07:45 AM

Send a message via MSN to Worjorj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf
Phantoms of Liberty - still wear the patch on me cutoff
Big back patch?
Old 30-03-2007, 07:46 AM

They going to ban horses too? More people seriously hurt in accidents with them than bikes.
Going to cap Ferraris and the like? Nah, doubt it.
Old 30-03-2007, 08:12 AM

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worjorj
They going to ban horses too?
next they`ll be banning ugly fat blokes, from shagging ugly wimmin` after 8 pints and a curry on friday night
Old 30-03-2007, 08:30 AM

Are there any ugly women after 8 pints?
Old 30-03-2007, 01:49 PM

Default steven plowden

http://www.publications.parliament.u...ii/uc26402.htm

scroll down to about question 165 for plowdens comments, he is quite obviously a bike hater, and is using his biggotry to drive the campaigning group he heads.

http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Old 30-03-2007, 02:30 PM

"Mr Matthew: I also have a strong suspicion, partly linked to some of the anti-social element we have been speaking about, that they may be far less well maintained, and there is quite a market in second, third and fourth-hand motorbikes that probably are not maintained at all.

Chairman: That is very interesting"
The majority of the pollution of vehicles comes in the manufacture so the endless recycling and propensity for motorbikes to stay in use longer makes them more eco friendly. FFS my youngest bike is 1999 my oldest 1946.
Old 30-03-2007, 05:22 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

its scary, ah well, see you at the push bike shop
Old 30-03-2007, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr
http://www.publications.parliament.u...ii/uc26402.htm

scroll down to about question 165 for plowdens comments, he is quite obviously a bike hater, and is using his biggotry to drive the campaigning group he heads.
...aaand keep scrolling...

"Q205 Chairman: Our previous witness, Mr Plowden, described the Motorcycling Strategy as something that might have been produced by "a dodgy PR firm, not by a Department of State". Is that fair?

Dr Ladyman: No, that is cobblers - if that is sufficient of an answer for you.

Q206 Chairman: I do not know whether "cobblers" is a Parliamentary word. Why particularly is it?..."

"...Dr Ladyman: What I mean by that is that it should be seen not as an anarchic activity that rebellious teenagers engage in and therefore we should be trying to discourage it.

Q218 Chairman: Or only inadequate males over 35.

Dr Ladyman: What it is intended to convey is that we see it as a legitimate form of road transport that we actively want to encourage and we want people to considerate it as an alternative to the motor car as a contributor to tackling congestion and reducing carbon emissions..."

"...Q238 Clive Efford: We are talking about vehicles that invariably just carry one person; you seldom see people travelling to work and riding pillion on motorcycles.

Dr Ladyman: You seldom see people travelling to work in cars with more than one person in the car...

"...Q268 Chairman: It is not comparable in one way but you are prepared to accept limiters on powerful coaches so that they do not go above a certain speed, and you know that speed actually is a real element in accidents. Why have you not been prepared to consider limiters on very, very powerful bikes which are getting bigger and more powerful by the day?

Dr Ladyman: The philosophical argument there would then have to apply also to motor cars. I am prepared to engage in a debate about that but not just for motorcycles; why would we limit the speed of motorcycles but allow people to buy an Aston Martin that can probably do nearly 200 miles an hour? What would be right for one sector would have to be applied to the other sector..."

So looks like Ladyman isn't having any of his old 'cobblers' then... all stuff that MAG has been saying for years, e.g. a car in stationary traffic gives 0 miles per gallon

...But, speaking as an inadequate male over 35, I'm obviously a prime target! One wonders if Plowman is on a backhander somewhere, like Bangemann was from BMW?

However, a while back there was a campaign to get bikes using the bus lanes in Cambridge - at every meeting with the council, one bloke from the Cambridge Cycling Campaign foamed at the mouth at every opportunity given in the manner of Mr Plowden - which eventually led to the council saying no just to shut him up.

Further investigation revealed that he had a biker living down the road from him who wheelied his supermoto past his house every day, and hence took up his anti-biker crusade. So Plowman is still worth watching for the foreseeable future...

Firedance Roadshow - www.firedance.biz

Last edited by pagan_flame; 30-03-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 30-03-2007, 06:21 PM

I'm actually surprised that Stephen Ladyman is fighting this thing - completely on a tangent to the rest of the government's attitude...

Switch off TV, get a life... www.whitedot.org
Old 30-03-2007, 06:37 PM

I think one of the biggest crying shames is that the Bike manufacturers dont jump in and help. Thing is, even if bikes were say restricted to 100mph they would still sell bikes, i mean look how big the the Trailie and Supermoto side of biking has got. Basically we need the backing of the Jap big 4, Ducati, Triumph (would say Harley but they wouldnt come under the restriction cause they were built for pumping water out of dykes ) so on so forth.
Actually it was Triumph that were partly helped stop the 100bhp limit because all the Jap manufacturers were going for it and Triumph said fuck it and bought out the 1200 Daytona.
Anyway, get the bike manufacturers on board.
Old 30-03-2007, 06:50 PM

Well they didn't help that town in china that banned all the motorbikes, why would they bother now?
Old 30-03-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Well they didn't help that town in china that banned all the motorbikes, why would they bother now?
Thats my point but maybe if we could convince them they wouldnt sell so many bikes unless they join in. Maybe MAG could get in touch etc etc. Just a thought anyway. Im off for a pint now.
Old 30-03-2007, 06:55 PM

Most of the bikes in China are Chinese........
Old 30-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Complete and utter git

Q218 Chairman: Or only inadequate males over 35.

is that an appropriate comment ? should we be offended ?
Old 30-03-2007, 07:59 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

inadequate males over 35, fucking jumped up wanker, who do these tossers think they are ??? if these are the comments of so called up holders of the nation, then what hope is there, they see every1 as being sub human morons !

Last edited by kiffer38; 30-03-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Old 30-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Complete and utter git

inadequate males over 35, fucking jumped up wanker, who do these tossers think they are

I believe that the comment was made by the committee chair, gwynneth dunwoody m.p (labour) - A large, old woman with a face like a bucket of broken crabs.....

Old 30-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBritishRob
(would say Harley but they wouldnt come under the restriction cause they were built for pumping water out of dykes )

I have seen this happening in a film. There was this dyke sat on a Harley and her mate was giving it some revs in the garage while the aforesaid dyke was coming her tits off. She left a hefty stain.............

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 30-03-2007, 10:49 PM

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worjorj
Are there any ugly women after 8 pints?
Obviously not
they just seem to appear once you wake up, and they are there snoring on the next pillow
Old 31-03-2007, 07:13 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peirre O`bollox
Obviously not
they just seem to appear once you wake up, and they are there snoring on the next pillow
And they are all called Elenor, cause you go "Ell" and gnaw your arm off to escape