100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-10-2006, 06:30 PM
krammer's Avatar
krammer krammer is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Birmingham naval dock yard
Posts: 7,917
Send a message via MSN to krammer
Default i admit it, i'm a luddite...

when it comes to powdercoating etc but i'm looking at de blinging me bike. there are chromed spark plug cover's and fork guards on it which are fitted as standard. now can you powdercoat over chrome or is there some other way to get these bits to a gloss black finish?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-10-2006, 07:00 PM
Bassman's Avatar
Bassman Bassman is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,523
Default

Couldn't you get them dipped to take the chrome off before you coat em mate?

Thought the powdercoaters could have sorted that for you?

Sure I had some coating done on the old 45chop that was chromed first, and just gave it to them to sort out..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-10-2006, 07:01 PM
dracken1's Avatar
dracken1 dracken1 is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: west mid wales
Posts: 4,493
Default

heathen!!! may you roast in hells fires for eternity. taking chrome off, what you trying to do? start a trend and put me out of business... and i've no idea how yoda is gonna take the news

yes you can powdercoat over chrome. they lightly scuff it first.theres an advantage to coating over chrome when having a translucent colour as it makes it look deeper
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-10-2006, 07:03 PM
krammer's Avatar
krammer krammer is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Birmingham naval dock yard
Posts: 7,917
Send a message via MSN to krammer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman
Couldn't you get them dipped to take the chrome off before you coat em mate?

Thought the powdercoaters could have sorted that for you?

Sure I had some coating done on the old 45chop that was chromed first, and just gave it to them to sort out..
cheer's bass. i reckon i'll nip over to dave the frame's and get 'im to sort them for me just was'nt sure how powder coating work's to be honest and thought i'd share my ignorence
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-10-2006, 07:05 PM
krammer's Avatar
krammer krammer is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Birmingham naval dock yard
Posts: 7,917
Send a message via MSN to krammer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracken1
heathen!!! may you roast in hells fires for eternity. taking chrome off, what you trying to do? start a trend and put me out of business... and i've no idea how yoda is gonna take the news

yes you can powdercoat over chrome. they lightly scuff it first.theres an advantage to coating over chrome when having a translucent colour as it makes it look deeper
superb wynne, thank you very much for that mate.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-10-2006, 10:05 AM
Spike's Avatar
Spike Spike is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bolton
Posts: 7,711
Default

is it metal, or plastic ? you can powdercoat both, but the plastic tends to melt in the 220 degree oven !!
__________________
NIL MORTIFI, SINE LVCRE

My Blog

Fuck it, BURN THEM ALL !!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-10-2006, 06:39 PM
krammer's Avatar
krammer krammer is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Birmingham naval dock yard
Posts: 7,917
Send a message via MSN to krammer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike
is it metal, or plastic ? you can powdercoat both, but the plastic tends to melt in the 220 degree oven !!
why thank you for that priceless piece of information spike
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Bassman's Avatar
Bassman Bassman is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,523
Default

no fooling Spike eh?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Spike's Avatar
Spike Spike is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bolton
Posts: 7,711
Default

I've had folk ask me in the past
__________________
NIL MORTIFI, SINE LVCRE

My Blog

Fuck it, BURN THEM ALL !!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.