100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 07-08-2006, 10:52 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Default The new target market for chops...?

I only hope this advert is kinda tongue in cheek.
It must be.
Time was when you used to see a full blown chop and you could spot from a mile away who'd ridden in on it.
Not no more, now they're aimed at the folk who wanna enhance the frontage of their nice new house on the new estate.
No mention of performance, frame builder, carb set up, just hey, you want the neighbours to think you're a little bit dangerous, a bit woah, a bit wayhey?
It must be a fucking joke.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Chatter Box

Wotcha.

All well and good - but who, or what, is it advertising ?

Now if you were to park my bike on the front of that house, I guarantee the price would drop by at least 5k
MOONSHINERS M.C.C.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:04 PM

A custom builder shop.
Dint get the name bit in the pic, as i'm just hoping it's a joke and they're really stand up guys.

Somehow, i see that hope fading into the distance though...
Old 08-08-2006, 12:14 AM

unfortunately, that is the way things are going taff, its called 'buy' your lifestyle', and it fuckin sucks.
too many folk have disposable income, and they think its cool to have a chop, or a highpower sports bike that they will never ride, but they think it makes em look cool.

wankers.............
Old 08-08-2006, 08:22 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

I reckon that those good old boys at the occ and there like ought to be taken out and banned from buildind there stereo type of the shelf bollocks choppers.I thought that the idea of customising was to add your own personal touch to your bike ,not to have some twonk do it for you for mega bucks.How many of the owners of these of the shelf specials have spent a cold night in January grovelling round there workshop floor looking for a missing bolt to finish there bike so that they can go riding in the wind rain and salt to get to a rally?.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:26 AM

Send a message via MSN to xjtriker666

fashion thing,,,,when i did cbt few yr ago woman was doin her cbt as well,got talkin to her ,wot bike ya gerrin wen ya done cbt,,she said not gerrin one ,so y do cbt then,only want to do cbt coz then i can ride me hubbies arley down drive,wots he got arley night train brand spankin new un.hes had it 2 mth been out on it twice in 2mth,he mostly goes out in ferrari.he,s gerrin one of them hummer things as well..aint got a clue where hes goin to put it,garage is full now ,wot wi my slk in there as well...........
Old 08-08-2006, 10:58 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman
have a chop, or a highpower sports bike that they will never ride,
erm. both my bikes get rode all the time (they are my only form of transport), the trouble is deciding which one to use.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

LOL disposable income whats that then

I got a disposable house, thats about it LOL
Old 08-08-2006, 11:47 AM

it's poor form really. Marketing media spods have run out of ideas and are finding niche lifestyles to exploit.. it appeals to the curiosities of the general public.. the amount of times people say to me " huh huh huh, you a biker... you one of those hell's angels?" Just want to shake them stupid for their total ignorance in something they think is folly.

Typical media nonsense and lack of education it's like saying , oh you have a computer it must be a dell, everyone has a dell.

I also hate it when people call standard bikes choppers! it's like calling ford focuses hotrods... complete lack of education.

while i'm on the subject of 'buying' into the lifestyle. all the straights at work completely sh1t themselves when I came off, the inevitable "will you ride again?" Fuckin right I will, it goes with the fuggin territory.

taff I reckon you should name and shame for an ad like that.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:56 AM

Location: In the same Farmhouse for 14 generations with NO OUTSIDERS

Still, give it a few years and there'll be plenty of cheap, low milage 'choppers'
on the market that'll be ripe for tearing down and building to ya own spec.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:57 AM

Half full then Freak? I like the way you're thinking tho
Old 08-08-2006, 11:58 AM

I saw a 'US Spec Chopper' in BSH valued at 28K this month, "emigration forces quick sale, offers over 20K"!
Old 08-08-2006, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob
I saw a 'US Spec Chopper' in BSH valued at 28K this month, "emigration forces quick sale, offers over 20K"!
I think that one may have been in before...

Still nowhere near as entertaining as the prices people want for trikes...
Old 08-08-2006, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue
I think that one may have been in before...

yeah, what is that all about? I can't believe that people will part with that sort of money for a reliant!
Old 08-08-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill?
erm. both my bikes get rode all the time (they are my only form of transport), the trouble is deciding which one to use.
you yuppie.......
Old 08-08-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman.....
you yuppie

bog off doris. isn't this yuppie thing a SOUTHERN phenomonen.

Last edited by bill?; 08-08-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:56 PM

Send a message via MSN to xjtriker666

thing is wi trikes blue,if ya cant build ya own ya have to pay ppl to do it for ya,thats where the silly money comes from,,trike-shop back-end 3-500,b4 its welded up,luego not far off same price,,,,at least now their is some ppl doin them cheaper,one on evilbay start price 800....yea they are askin silly money for reliant trikes,,,some-one will pay for it,,,,,,sign of the times more ppl ridin trikes,,,,,
Old 08-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Chat Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak
Still, give it a few years and there'll be plenty of cheap, low milage 'choppers'
on the market that'll be ripe for tearing down and building to ya own spec.
mATt BlAck thoSe Custom Paint jobs
Old 08-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

As well as Theifbay you can buy them here http://www.mayors-motorcycles.co.uk/...sp?specialID=1

So start saving and get yersen's a lifestyle here.
Free bandana's with every bike!!

Cheers'en.
Old 08-08-2006, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue

well i think this too....... although im almost finished my first 3 seats and irs............(just battery box and bars to do then take i apart and paint it).....why becasue all the ones i looked at were rough and expensive so i though I can do that

1000 quid for a bike yep no probs...few quid for tube/steel (100 say) pair of wheels, new 100 quid or scrappy 20 quid plus powder coat, master cyc, and a few bits and bobs. not alot but time ffs even if i costed my time at 5 an hour trike would be up to about 9 grand.....

they are expensive because not every one has the time, tools or skill to build them, same as a good paint job or bike build you are paying for skill, reputation and experience.

but as for priceing something is only worth what someone will pay for it on the day!
Old 08-08-2006, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigg
How many of the owners of these of the shelf specials have spent a cold night in January grovelling round there workshop floor looking for a missing bolt to finish there bike so that they can go riding in the wind rain and salt to get to a rally?.
My god you put that well bigg.
Nuther reason i didn't name 'em, was, it was in this very mag, 100% Biker, last months (79??).
Dont want their advertisers bleating that they pay their money not to get slagged on the mags own website.
Unusual attack of conscience i guess...
Old 12-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Chat Virgin

Default gotta be a gag,

saw the ad, just shrugged me shoulders, sign of the times,
"If you waste your time a-talkin' to the people who don't listen to the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear,
,,an' if you should die explainin' that the things that they complain about, are things they could be changin', who do you thinks gonna care ?"

Kris Krisstofferson

Last edited by pitbuell; 12-08-2006 at 12:42 PM. Reason: speelin'
Old 13-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Jedi Chat Master

listen to yourselves oooh im a biker i spent 26 hours a day building my bike in a coldstore in luton ..fuck right off if i had the money to pay for a top chop or a hotrod motor i would be in like flyn ..i work 60 odd hours a week and im away from my home and family like lots of other lads out there week in week out ....i bought a bike ..i ride when i can ..i do a couple of rallys a year as best i can without upseting the wife for spending to much time on the bike .
what i hear a lot is some sort of inverted biker snobery ..get a life ..i will not bow down to you becouse you have riden bikes since you were in the womb it took me 47 years to get a bike ..and by the fuck im going to enjoy it ..and if i can afford a bit of chrome now and then i will buy it and be damed just co"s i dont have the skill to fashion a hog out of an old bedstead and a lawnmower engine dosent give you the right to tell me im not a biker ..thats my wifes job everytime i want to go for a ride and she wants to go shopping

ok rant over ...nuff sed
Old 13-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Chat Virgin

thats my wifes job everytime i want to go for a ride and she wants to go shopping

so much for your seduction technique Churchill, seems the wife prefers the store card approach to biking too huh ?
In my book if your out there on two wheels gerrin' wet an' side-swiped every junction, then you're a biker, no matter how much dosh you've thrown at the pile of chrome plating under yer ass, or indeed how many days/months/years you've slaved away at that bedstead an lawnmower motor, have you seen the price of a second hand qualcast these days ? not to mention what bedsteads are fetching in the raffia-maffia junk shops, prices the build outa us poor folks grasp
Old 13-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchill
listen to yourselves oooh im a biker i spent 26 hours a day building my bike in a coldstore in luton ..fuck right off if i had the money to pay for a top chop or a hotrod motor i would be in like flyn ..i work 60 odd hours a week and im away from my home and family like lots of other lads out there week in week out ....i bought a bike ..i ride when i can ..i do a couple of rallys a year as best i can without upseting the wife for spending to much time on the bike .
what i hear a lot is some sort of inverted biker snobery ..get a life ..i will not bow down to you becouse you have riden bikes since you were in the womb it took me 47 years to get a bike ..and by the fuck im going to enjoy it ..and if i can afford a bit of chrome now and then i will buy it and be damed just co"s i dont have the skill to fashion a hog out of an old bedstead and a lawnmower engine dosent give you the right to tell me im not a biker ..thats my wifes job everytime i want to go for a ride and she wants to go shopping

ok rant over ...nuff sed
Get you point but I think personally the thing I find offensive about this advert is not sen 60 000 on a beatiful bike and have a fucking great time riding it, its spend 60000 grand on a bike as a status symbol to go next to the sales rep car, spend all this money, the boss might even think your a bit of a rebel, buy a bike, its not only sweaty bikers who can ride a chop now. Personally if I had that much money I'd put it into exactly the bike that I wanted. Its not about how much money, your job, whether you've got tattoos, work on your bike yourself (We all have our limitations, and god there are sometimes when I wish I had the money or sense to get someone else to work on my bike for me, like yesterday when I sheared the bleed nipple on my front calliper ) or necessarily how often you ride but I dont like the idea that some people can throw money at a bike and buy a nice sanitized version of the 'biker'tm lifestyle (As seen on the discovery channel) as a fashion accessory, till the next mancunian monkey starts riding vespas again.
Old 13-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Jedi Chat Master

thanks for not ripping my head of for my pisshead post but on rereading it it still pretty much says what i often feel ...

ps.... what is this obssesion you lot have for getting wet
Old 13-08-2006, 06:29 PM

Some years ago I had a business restoring classic brits, one day a 30 something longhaired rich peson wandered in and asked if I knew anything about rare Triumphs, he had bought a 'chopped' (SIC) one and it wasnt running right. Told him to drop it in and we would take a look.
He came in the next day with it on a trailer on the back of a roller (I kid you not who puts a towbar on a roller!!)

He had bought a 5T with a bolt on hardtail, bodged on Mikuni single carb, bolt on forward controls, T-bars with tassells matt black paint.... you get the picture,
This was 1998, I asked him why he had bought it, he said cos it pissed off his neighbours.
We sort it out using a monobloc carb and got it running ok and sorted out the handling, so he was happy, and we charged him 350 including parts.

Now how much did he pay for it?
Go on guess....

Free the binary 10
Old 13-08-2006, 06:40 PM

four figures?
Old 13-08-2006, 09:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to Shaun the Fatman

Garn I wish I knew who that sucka was, I got this lease on Tower bridge I need to flog...

What I object to is calling custom bikes "choppers"... the whole point of the the early chops it that they cut all the extras off standard bikes to make them shift and handle a bit more sharpish.

So the true "choppers" these days are actually the (dare I say it) the "streetfighters"......
Old 13-08-2006, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun the Fatman
Garn I wish I knew who that sucka was, I got this lease on Tower bridge I need to flog...

What I object to is calling custom bikes "choppers"... the whole point of the the early chops it that they cut all the extras off standard bikes to make them shift and handle a bit more sharpish.

So the true "choppers" these days are actually the (dare I say it) the "streetfighters"......
But not the ones that look like they've been magnetized and driven through an anodised tat factory