100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Old 03-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Chatter Box

Default More Crap News

Didn't hear about this til today....not sure of his name yet but he was my friends next door neighbour. Leaves a 28 year old wife, child, and another on the way next month.

Tragic.

PS: Not sure if the link will work...if anyone out there can sort a link I'd be grateful.

http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/di...folderPk=86735

http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/
Old 03-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Chatter Box

...and this....

http://www.thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/di...folderPk=86735
Old 03-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scunthorpe Telegraph
BIKER KILLED
Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list
Be the first reader to comment on this story

12:30 - 30 January 2006
A Biker has become the first person killed on North Lincolnshire's roads this year.

Police said the rider of a yellow Honda CBR motorcycle, travelling south from Hibaldstow with another biker along the B1206 in Redbourne, died after he was thrown from his bike after it struck a kerb, just after 2pm yesterday. The vehicle then hit a parked red Vauxhall Astra.

Police and ambulance crews attended - but the rider, aged 34, from the Brigg area, died prior to reaching hospital.

A man who lives in the village told the Telegraph he witnessed the accident and tried to comfort the injured rider before the emergency services arrived.

He said: "I was standing at the top of my drive and I heard a screech. The next thing I knew there was plastic flying everywhere. "

The man described the road of the collision as a 'nightmare' and said the speed on the road should be lowered from 40mph to 30mph.

The incident happened on the eve of the launch of a new campaign aimed at reducing the number of motorcyclists killed or seriously injured on the region's roads.

The campaign encourages drivers to 'take longer to look for bikes', as casualty figures for the Yorkshire and Humber region for 2004 show a total 67 motorcyclists were killed and 621 were seriously injured.

Continued z page 2

Sorry to hear it Sosie..
Old 03-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Chatter Box

BIKERS WARNED TO TAKE EXTRA CARE
Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list
2 readers have commented on this story. Click here to read their views.

12:30 - 31 January 2006
Road safety chiefs have promised a 'detailed investigation' into the death of a motorcyclist on the region's roads at the weekend.

And Pete Scott, who works with the North Lincolnshire Road Safety Partnership's Motorcycle Forum, added much was being done to try and prevent bike accidents. "The North Lincolnshire Motorcycle Forum is working hard to try and reduce motorcycle accidents on North Lincolnshire's roads," he said.

"The forum will be targeting popular motorcycling routes with safety campaigns during the spring and summer. The forum provides advice to both motorcyclists and drivers of other vehicles, aimed at reducing motorcycle accidents."

Sunday's fatal accident, which happened in Redbourne, occurred just a day before the launch of a new campaign aimed at encouraging motorists to keep a lookout for motorbikes on the region's roads.

The accident involved a yellow Honda CBR motorcycle, which collided with a parked Vauxhall Astra in the village.

And Pc Roy Hindmarsh, of North Lincolnshire Road Safety Partnership, added the number of casualties had been reduced last year, but there was still more work to do.

He said: "We are going to be running Bike Safe courses this summer and I would recommend any motorcyclists, no matter how good they are, to take part.

"Last year we had a campaign on the A161 and A18 to reduce motorcycle casualties, and it was very successful - we had three fewer deaths than the previous year.

"But we have to do our best to reduce the number of casualties because there are still too many."

And Malcolm Bennett, who organises the annual Barton Bike Night, urged motorists to think about motorcyclists when they were out on the roads.

"Motorcyclists are very vulnerable, but in my experience most accidents are caused by cars," said Mr Bennett. "A lot of the time people say 'Sorry, I didn't see you', but that's because they weren't looking.

"I know what it's like to be a car driver and have a bike appear very suddenly behind you, but drivers need to be aware of motorcycles.

"There always have been and always will be motorbike accidents, but mostly the bikers are not responsible for the accident."

He added even when thousands of bikers poured into the annual Barton Bike Night, there were very few accidents.

And Ken Wells, of the British Motorcycle Federation, said: "There are good and bad motorcyclists, just like there are good and bad drivers.

"The problem is a bad driver gets away with it, while a bad motorcyclist doesn't.

"I don't know why this rider has hit a parked car, but often at this time of the year bikers struggle because the sun is very low. Motorcyclists are vulnerable, just like pedestrians or pedal cyclists, but they usually come off worse because they are moving faster than either of those."

Police are appealing for witnesses who may have seen the collision or the motorcyclist, who has not been named, prior to the accident to contact them on 0845 6060222. Anyone interested in taking part in a Bike Safe course can call 07989 396795.

PC ROY Hindmarsh, of the North Lincolnshire Road Safety Partnership offered this safety advice to motorists:

For motorcyclists:
Never overtake at junctions
Never overtake on unbroken white lines or bends in the road
Never squeeze through between oncoming vehicles and the one you are overtaking
Always wear a full set of quality protective gear
Never ride in the blind spot of a car or van
Never overtake on the inside of other bikes, especially on bends in the road
Always ride at least two seconds behind the bike in front
Always slow down for bends in the road
Never do wheelies - this could endanger other road users
Never pass closely by cars or other bikes to scare the driver.

For car drivers:
Always look over your right shoulder before overtaking, setting off or opening the car door
Always look for bikes when pulling out of junctions
Always keep at least two seconds away from the car or bike in front
Never squeeze between oncoming vehicles and the car or bike being overtaken
When overtaking, never cut in on bikes, especially in the rain
Always look over the left shoulder when turning left and leaving a roundabout
Never dazzle bikes with headlights
Never squeeze alongside bikes at junctions
Always give bikes space in traffic jams
Never use screenwash or throw out cigarette ends when there is a bike behind.

Your Views
i agree paul , the roads are terrible , causing damage to cars and danger to us bike riders
al, grimsby

Lets just look at the state of the roads in general. Countless times we see councils repairing the roads and slapping down tarmac on top that simply is not good enough. Overbanding and bumps on our poorly maintained roads just add to yet another hazard for bikers on our roads. Lets look at the stretch of the M181 from the Tesco roundabout. Over the last 4 years that stretch of road has got worse and worse with bumps where previous sections were repaired. It isnt a problem on four wheels but try doing it on two. Speed doesnt always kill - its the penny pinchers who repair our roads that cause most of the grief!!
Paul, Scunthorpe
Old 03-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Chatter Box

IDENTIFIED

12:30 - 01 February 2006
The motorcyclist who died when he came off his bike on Sunday has been named as Stephen Alan Garnett.

Mr Garnett (34), from Swift Drive, Scawby Brook, died on Main Road, Redbourne. Police believe Mr Garnett was thrown off his Honda CBR bike after it collided with a kerb.

Any witnesses have been asked to contact Scunthorpe Roads Policing Team on 0845 6060222, referring to log 351 of January 29.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Send a message via MSN to Crofty

sorry to hear that. my thoughts go out to his friends and family.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:36 PM

Bugger .....

My Blog

Fuck it, BURN THEM ALL !!
Old 03-02-2006, 02:23 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Condolences to his famly and friends
Old 03-02-2006, 03:02 PM

Sorry. No words can say...
Old 04-02-2006, 12:50 AM
Chat Virgin

Send a message via MSN to Shadow Sid

Please accept my deepest condolance. My heart goes out to his friends and family.

Having just lost a friend in a similar manner whos funeral I'm going to on Monday, I do really know how it is.

Please relay my thoughts and such

SS