100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Old 19-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Default anyone fancy a challenge - to find a phone number...

we got charity scammers coming out of our ears! Just had a new one - a guy with a Lancs accent just rang up to ask if I wanted my number removed from the database used by charity wallplanner scammers - so I asked how much it was - he said it was free - so I said yes - so now I find out it's a scam too (no doubt in a few weeks I will get an invoice from them )

of course I can't redial from the shop (the unit owners cr@p system) and the number was withheld)

so here's the challenge

can you find any info about them? phone number would be nice

all I know is that they call themselves the Data Removal Service (DRS)

over to you
Old 19-01-2006, 12:30 PM

Not found DRS yet, but I did find this on the Mirror website:

HEROES - JANET BEATS BULLY
P&G AWARDS 2005: FOR AWFUL SERVICE

FOR steadfast courage in the face of conmen, our Hero of the Year award goes to Janet Hamilton.

She runs a small business in Hampshire which was swamped by rogues insisting that she had agreed to pay to advertise in their dodgy "charity" diaries and wall-planners.

Knowing that she hadn't agreed to anything, she resolutely refused to pay.

She continued refusing even after one firm, Brown & Brown of Bradford, began proceedings to sue her in the county court.

These bullies wanted 351 for an ad in, ironically, an anti-bullying wall-planner.

When we tracked down the sole director, Paul Brown, he said the wall-planners would be distributed "all over, innit. Like, all over in Bradford."

Which would hardly help Janet's business in Hants.

Brown & Brown played hardball, and not just with Janet. After we exposed them in May they got lawyers Sekhon & Firth on to us, saying our article was "defamatory to the core" and demanding, naturally, compensation.

They haven't got any and neither have they got a penny from Janet.

Faced with being sued and credit-blacklisted, caving in would have been tempting for many small businesses.

But Janet's made of sterner stuff and went to court to face her accusers - who never showed their faces.

District Judge Ackner threw out Brown & Brown's case, saying: "There's been no documentation whatsoever produced to support their claim."
Old 19-01-2006, 12:36 PM

Default Bingo!

Data Recovery & PC support Services based in North West England
Data Removal Services. Erase your online & offline tracks - permanently. Lost Data ? need it back ? EMERGENCY ! CALL US: 0161-787-3169 / 07939-118006 ...

Got that off a Google search, but when I clicked on the link (www.datarescue.co.uk/datarecovery.htm), I got a 404 error.
Old 19-01-2006, 12:45 PM

Basically, DO NOT PAY FOR ANYTHING. They have no signed contract, no quotes, no order, nothing. They will never be able to get it to stand up in court.

In fact, if they persist, send them a bill for your time and advise them that, should they continue, you will issue legal notice against them for harrassment, demanding money with menaces and causing distress.
Old 19-01-2006, 12:49 PM

yeah I think that one is software to recover deleted data on your PC - thanks for looking tho

currently we have one lot who are threatening us with court - they say they have a taped conversation of us agreeing to it - apparently they doctor the tapes - however it isn't used in court because they don't warn you beforehand that it's being recorded - so I ain't worried - just pee'd off

this time I wrote down what I'd said for future reference

him: would you like 7 days, 3 months or permanent removal from their lists?
me: how much is the permanent one?
him: they're all free
me: then I'd like the permanent one please

assumption of the doctored call to be....

him: would you like the 7 day etc it is 300
me: I'd like the permanent one please

dirty rotten fekkers
Old 19-01-2006, 12:50 PM

sorry Abb you nipped in there - that was a reply to womble

I would just like to be able to ring them and give em a fright lol
Old 19-01-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abb
Basically, DO NOT PAY FOR ANYTHING. They have no signed contract, no quotes, no order, nothing. They will never be able to get it to stand up in court.

In fact, if they persist, send them a bill for your time and advise them that, should they continue, you will issue legal notice against them for harrassment, demanding money with menaces and causing distress.
Sounds like a plan to me...

A friend of mine got sent a pack of shoddy christmas cards, from a "Disabled chairty" complete with invoice for them, which she never orderd. Was in a right state, as she felt bad, but she didnt want them.

I put them back into the packing, and wrote "return to sender" on it, and dropped it itno the postbox....

Cheeky sods

My Blog

Fuck it, BURN THEM ALL !!
Old 19-01-2006, 12:55 PM

I've been giving monthly amounts to the same charity since 1988 so I always tell em I already give to my chosen charity - doesn't stop em sending you invoices though - every now and then someone will unwittingly pay the invoice without really checking what it's for
Old 19-01-2006, 01:00 PM

Trading Standards have a useful list of questions to ask cold callers, if it happens again : http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/m...er/publish.htm
Old 19-01-2006, 02:26 PM

doro mate pm in a few minutes....
Old 19-01-2006, 03:21 PM

We recieved some of them charity cards, after a couple of invoices my missus decided it was'nt worth the hassle and paid them anyway, I'd have loved to have seen if they would have taken it further but my missus does anything for a quiet life.
Old 19-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Default Drs

MM DRS data recovery services
formally known as Debt Recovery services
Formally known as Mc Allister Stone
They called up asking if I wanted to place an advert in there magazine the answer was no, a few weeks later an invoice for 200 quidlets arrived, this has now gone on for more than two years, the company name changes and they say they have bought McAllister Stone's debts from them.
Thing is all the addresses are the same, if you look at the bottom ofthe letters.
It turns out that believe it or not what they do is not against the law, they then try bullying tatics, threatening legal action which never appears. Or visits from thier hencemen which also never appear.
If you do a search on McAllister Stone you will find a few stories from watchdag and the trading standards. The top and bottom of all this is, dont worry just ignore them after a while they will go away and try to con others, or you could always set them up and arrange a reception comittee.
Old 19-01-2006, 04:19 PM

thanks garry - will look at that
Old 19-01-2006, 04:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to Captain Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouselee
We recieved some of them charity cards, after a couple of invoices my missus decided it was'nt worth the hassle and paid them anyway, I'd have loved to have seen if they would have taken it further but my missus does anything for a quiet life.
If these cards arrive unsolicited then you are under no obligation whatsoever. If they want them back you could insist they come and collect them, as you should not have to put yourself out by going to the post office, even if they pay the postage. I think there is sufficient case law now (needs checking) that you would be well within your rights to bin the offending items after a reasonable period.

QVANTI CANICVLA ILLE IN FENESTRA

http://www.captsmurf.co.uk

Flickr

captainsmurf.tel
Old 19-01-2006, 04:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to Captain Smurf

I used the TPS service some time ago to stop unsolicited phone calls. Use this site if you want to stop unsolicited Mail, Phone Calls or Faxes

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

QVANTI CANICVLA ILLE IN FENESTRA

http://www.captsmurf.co.uk

Flickr

captainsmurf.tel
Old 19-01-2006, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf
If these cards arrive unsolicited then you are under no obligation whatsoever. If they want them back you could insist they come and collect them, as you should not have to put yourself out by going to the post office, even if they pay the postage. I think there is sufficient case law now (needs checking) that you would be well within your rights to bin the offending items after a reasonable period.
It's basic contract law. There has to be an offer, an acceptance and a settlement.

No offer to buy (an order) no contract
Old 19-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Default Companies house

Seems as though they are not a registered comany either, though there are several companies with similar names, this is a standard operating technique for this type of scam. You will find that the similr named companies all have recent incorporations, hence no records on file as yet. Which means... yes they are con artists.
Old 20-01-2006, 08:55 AM

Doro They dont have a leg to stand on as Abbs has said.
I sell ads , I have to send out a confermation of booking, and get it signed by the client. Then any ad we print has to be approved by them and again signed for, without that, nothing is valid...
I'd also be inclined to speak to your local Trading Standards, this sort of comapny tends to target companies area by area, its a good chance they are currently working your area and there will be complaints from other companies to T/S who maybe building up a case.
Old 30-01-2006, 10:30 AM

Saw this in today's Bolton Evening News:

Charity scam by fake publishers
Last posted: Monday 30 January 2006 08:57

TRADERS are being told to be wary of sales calls from fake publishing companies claiming to work for charities.

Investigators from the Department of Trade and Industry say the cold callers schemes demand payment from firms to advertise in fundraising publications which are non-existent.

Steve Haslam, who owns 1-2-1 Music, a musical instrument shop in Bradshawgate, Leigh, complained to local Trading Standards officers after he was contacted by 14 companies.

He started receiving calls in October, 2004, and they continued for more than a year.

Mr Haslam said he had paid for one advert in a charity publication with which he was satisfied.

"But then I started getting calls that were sometimes downright abusive, demanding payment or follow-up adverts from companies I had never heard of," he said.

"I am a sole trader and sometimes it is not possible to keep a full record of every advert you place everywhere. They take advantage of that."

Mr Haslam received demands for sums between 250 and 450, but discovered that the schemes were bogus.

"When I asked to see what they produced, I was sent shoddy booklets that had been done on word- processing software. A child could have done it." he said.

The fake publishers ask for donations or to place adverts in publications including charity booklets, emergency services magazines, and children's hospital activity books, but few are even printed.

Gerry Sutcliffe, a Minister at the Department of Trade and Industry, said: "The actions of these people are reprehensible.

"They are preying on the goodwill of honest businessmen and women and diverting much-needed money away from good causes. Our investigators won't hesitate to shut them down."

Andrew Hind, chief executive of the Charity Commission said: "Business and the public can play a big role in reducing this kind of abuse by making sure their money goes to a genuine fund-raiser and not to crooks.

"It's easy to check if a charity is genuine or not by check our register of charities at www.charity-commission.co.uk."

The Department of Trade also provides information at its website: www.dti.gov.uk
Old 30-01-2006, 12:47 PM

Send a message via MSN to BikerGran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf
I used the TPS service some time ago to stop unsolicited phone calls. Use this site if you want to stop unsolicited Mail, Phone Calls or Faxes

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/
I suppose you can't really do that with a business phone - cos you may want to do business with genuine callers!
Old 30-01-2006, 02:06 PM

I know from family experience how easy it is to set up a charity too - so even the charities might be bogus