100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 24-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Chatter Box

Default Trike registration question

First of all I am new to this forum so hello to everyone,

I am currently well into the building of a new XJ650 based trike to replace my old reliant based one. Msva sounds scary and a lot of hassle, and I have the logbook in my name for the donor bike, of which i am using part of the frame but have cut the back about. I have heard of people sending off the logbook with the changes section filled in and getting it back as tricycle. Looking on my v5 it appears its fine to do this for body type and wheelplan, but taxation class is different. Anyone on hear had any experience with this? Any ideas and advice would greatly help.
Old 24-11-2005, 11:07 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

hey trikerdan mines a pint of gold lable
Old 24-11-2005, 11:45 PM

hi and welcome, double JD please mate
Old 25-11-2005, 08:14 AM
Chatter Box

Hi trikerdan, mines a pint of HSB please.

MSVA is only scary if:

a) You know nothing about it other than the "my mate down the pub said" rumours.

b) You are building your trike from meccano and bacofoil.

c) I test your trike

Get hold of 100% issue 67, and read the trike tek article about Alik's visit to VOSA.

There's loads of help and accurate advice about on this forum and I'm on the end of a phone most of the time. Have a browse through the threads here especially the top one.

As the good book says...........DON'T PANIC!

Cheers

Chris
Old 25-11-2005, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSVA Tech
Hi trikerdan, mines a pint of HSB please.

MSVA is only scary if:

a) You know nothing about it other than the "my mate down the pub said" rumours.

b) You are building your trike from meccano and bacofoil.

c) I test your trike

Get hold of 100% issue 67, and read the trike tek article about Alik's visit to VOSA.

There's loads of help and accurate advice about on this forum and I'm on the end of a phone most of the time. Have a browse through the threads here especially the top one.

As the good book says...........DON'T PANIC!

Cheers

Chris
trikerdan listen to chris hes one of the guys who was on the consulting body for the msva.... there is not much he doesnt know about it...
we have passed four trikes through the system(soon 5 hopefully!!) it aint that bad....honest
Old 26-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Chatter Box

So what exactly is the procedure for doing this. At the moment the bikes logbook is all correct for frame and engine numbers etc. Do they just change that or does that get scrapped and a new one issued. Do I book an msva test or do dvla organise that when i ask them to change logbook???
Old 26-11-2005, 02:19 PM

once the trike is done book an msva test at your local centre, and go from there....once its msva'd weve normally had to mot em send the paperwork off and wait for your new log book...........

get a copy of issue 67 and read aliks article

you can get them from the back issues section at the main site.....

Last edited by critch; 26-11-2005 at 02:21 PM.
Old 27-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Chat Slapper

I've just finished my XJ650 based Trike, Although the V% was a Kwak Z550, this turned out to be just the headstock built into a custom frame. The help I got from my local DVLA office (Lincoln) was second to none. The route I was advised to take was:
1. Insure as a trike using the info off the V5
2. MOT as a trike
3. Take it to DVLA for an inspection (legal to ride there as long as you've done the above 2!) and fill out the re-register forms (V55 I think) at this point I also paid for road tax and re-register which they hold until MSVA complete.
4. DVLA inspector said it required MSVA (because not enough of original bike remained)
5. MSVA test
6. Back to local office to finish paperwork and get my Q plate.

The guy at the local office was very helpfull and said that if all you've cut off the original bike fram is the swingarm then it probably wouldn't need MSVA.

Hope this helps. It was a complete minefield for me at first but, as I said previously, the DVLA people were very helpfull.
Lea
Old 28-11-2005, 12:07 AM
Chatter Box

I see. Not as difficult as I first thought.... What does the new V5 say under the make and model then?
Old 28-11-2005, 01:42 AM
Chat Slapper

My V5 will say Make: Yamasaki Model: Atom
When you go for MSVA you will be asked what you want to call it, mines Yamasaki cos Yam XJ650 engine and Kawasaki headstock (so just mixed the 2!) and Atom because that was what my 14 yr old son (who helped me build it) wanted it called!
Old 28-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Chatter Box

Ah right. Cleared a few issues up for me thanks. I have a reliant based trike at the moment its MOTed and insured on its original reliant robin v5. If i were to msva it, as the law states i should do, what would stop me using the new v5 for that on my xj trike when its finished and selling the reliant as a project?
Old 28-11-2005, 05:31 PM
Chat Slapper

Sorry Triker, you've gone a bit A level on me there! I'm not sure of the legality of that, I'm still a beginner at this sort of thing myself.
Old 28-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Chatter Box

Haha ok. What is the actual test itself like? Do they pick up silly things like not having 'E' markings on your lights and mirrors, and homemade exhaust systems? Also you said you had to mot it first on the bike's v5, were the mot garage ok about this with it still saying bicycle on the v5?
Old 28-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikerdan
Haha ok. What is the actual test itself like? Do they pick up silly things like not having 'E' markings on your lights and mirrors, and homemade exhaust systems? Also you said you had to mot it first on the bike's v5, were the mot garage ok about this with it still saying bicycle on the v5?
I failed the MSVA on:
Mirrors (Too small and flat glass)
Exhaust too noisy - I packed the baffles with as much baffle wool as I could get in the cylinders and they passed on the 1st retest.

The mirrors failed the 1st retest as the ones I had on, although convex, were 74mm across on the rounded end, they have to be 78mm if not round. On the 2nd retest I used Honda CBR mirrors that are 105mm across and round + convex. The strange thing about these mirrors was that although perfect to pass MSVA, absolutley useless on my trike as above 30mph they vibrated so much I couldn't see a thing through them. (They were the first things I took off after passing!)

As for the MOT, although my V5 said it was a bike, the MOT man (only one that does trikes near Lincoln) put on the Pass certificate Kawasaki Z550 Tricycle. DVLA were happy with this and that made it legal to ride to PRE-ARRANGED appointments.

The MSVA wasn't as bad as I had been told, they were very helpfull and all the points that it failed on, the tester gave me advice on how to put it right for the retest.

As I had bought the trike as a nearly finished preject I decided not to buy the SVA manual, but put it through the test to see what it failed on. I paid £85 for MSVA + £30 for 2 retests so even if I bought the manula and passed first time I would have paid £5 more. This doesn't include the petrol to get from Lincoln to Beverly 3 times but it was 3 fantastic days on the road legally being able to road test the engine etc.

Lea
Old 28-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Chatter Box

If you can tow your trike to and from msva tests do you then not need to have an mot or insurance on it?
Old 28-11-2005, 10:39 PM
Chat Slapper

Sorry mate, haven't a clue. I would imagine your local DVLA office would be best to ask about that.
Old 29-11-2005, 01:10 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

most of this if not all has been covered before in the top thread and also aliks articles in the magazine........
Old 29-11-2005, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addjunkie
most of this if not all has been covered before in the top thread and also aliks articles in the magazine........

well said that man... I sometimes wonder why we bother... does no one bloody read it..
We have the main man from the MSVA here as a forum member... there's a whole thread for this stuff... use it.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:01 AM
Chat Virgin

you can avoid msva alltogether by claiming that you are dissabled, it tells you that on the msva registration forms, you don't need to prove you are disabled just tell them trike was built for a disabled rider or passenger & you can register it by just getting it insured & mot'd.
I know a lot of people don't believe in doing ths but why make it hard for yourself, by letting someone pick fault with stupid details on your trike
Old 05-12-2005, 07:56 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Borg

That's what 'Bull Trikes' did and look at the problems the people who bought from him are having, all the frames are 4 inches out on one side and the forks and head stocks kept snapping. Just because it says Trike on the log book doesn't mean it's safe to ride
Old 05-12-2005, 06:44 PM
Chat Virgin

I would'nt build another trike if i had to go through the hassle of msva, at least we have a decent chap who does the mot who does'nt pick on stupid things
Old 05-12-2005, 11:42 PM

Send a message via MSN to BikerGran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodgy
you can avoid msva alltogether by claiming that you are dissabled, it tells you that on the msva registration forms, you don't need to prove you are disabled just tell them trike was built for a disabled rider or passenger & you can register it by just getting it insured & mot'd.
I know a lot of people don't believe in doing ths but why make it hard for yourself, by letting someone pick fault with stupid details on your trike
This is a concession that was made for disabled riders because of the difficulty of making rules for trikes that have adaptations for specific riders' disabilities. If people who are not disabled abuse the concession then it could be withdrawn altogether, which would mean that those people would be causing major problems for many disabled riders and perhaps putting them off the road.

Do you really want to be responsible for that?
Old 05-12-2005, 11:59 PM
Chat Virgin

msva will put a lot of home builders off the road & we can't all afford profesionally built trikes
Old 06-12-2005, 08:53 AM

Bodgy.
Personally I think you are talking bollocks. If your work isnt good enough to come up to MSVA standards then it shouldnt be on the road. You know that and so does everyone else...
Its idiots like you who feck things up for the rest of us.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:21 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

here here pat.......... as he obviously doesnt read your mag may i suggest you send him a rolled up copy............to shove in his gob to shut him up!!!
Old 06-12-2005, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Pat
Bodgy.
Personally I think you are talking bollocks. If your work isnt good enough to come up to MSVA standards then it shouldnt be on the road. You know that and so does everyone else...
Its idiots like you who feck things up for the rest of us.
oohh jeezy youve started pat on her pet hate RUN TO THE HILLS BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!!!!

and read the mag.. the msva is easily passable, plenty on here have.. im building one myself and itll work out under 1300 including the test...

and thats including a lovely manky monkey frame
Old 06-12-2005, 01:20 PM

Oooh Critch is building a trike.... is that cos you cant stay upright on two wheels....
As for bollockchops bodgy I just hate idiots who cant make the grade and make life so much harder for the rest of us. I think the MSVA is a good thing it keeps idiots and wankers from building death traps...
Old 06-12-2005, 02:14 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

and thats including a lovely manky monkey frame [/QUOTE]

Thanks Critchy. No pressure then!
I'm obviously not charging you enough!
Old 06-12-2005, 02:29 PM

Hey Mankey, best make sure there is stabalisers on it... that bloke could fall laying flat on the floor....
Old 06-12-2005, 03:07 PM

Send a message via MSN to xjtriker666

looks like dodgy-bodgy fukked up wi this un.msva is there for a reason aint it,,to fukk dodgy builders off,