100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > The Workshop

Notices

Old 04-05-2004, 12:12 AM
Chatter Box

Default "BIG TRIKES" Question for "Trike Tek"

Now Mr Alik & Geoff, So we cant build big trikes no more (issue 52).That makes me very sad,Does this mean that the dvla will want to ban all thos Q plate trikes as well ?.The real question ,is it going to be possiable to build a V8 auto with IRS and a leading link front .An still fit in to the new rules (MSVA) ????.Will a ford rear dif take the grunt from a V8 ?.By the way think the "Trike Tek" is great BEST BIT in the mag. But I am a trike nut so going to say that .
Old 06-05-2004, 01:06 AM
Chatter Box

Of course we can build big trikes... BUT.. They have to be under 1 Ton in weight and not longer than 13' 1 1/2" (on the day of the MSVA)
Ford axles take one hell of abuse which is why we like them.
Glad you like Trike Tek, the last one has just taken us 20 hrs to prepare. We finished it a 3am and now we've just started on the next one!!
Old 06-05-2004, 07:25 AM
Chatter Box

Thumbs up Cheers

Thanks for that o great one ,Like the Quote (On the day of the MSVA),point taken. You can tell PAT I have just taken out a years subscription on the strenght of the content in "Trike Tech". Right thats it done enough crawling now . Thanks
Old 06-05-2004, 07:55 AM
Chat Slapper

Default Ht

You can never do enough crawling and being nice to Pat.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:01 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Recently seen a very neat trike go thru testing:-

Had a Ford V6 engine,no gearbox - just a torque converter straight to diff unit. Kept it within length and weight regs.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:11 AM
Chatter Box

Default trike

How easy is it to fit a torque convertor?
Also how does it work?
Old 06-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Chatter Box

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dog
Recently seen a very neat trike go thru testing:-

Had a Ford V6 engine,no gearbox - just a torque converter straight to diff unit. Kept it within length and weight regs.
There was a nice V8 rover trike at TRIKES- R- US meet last year.No gear box as such. Had a range rover gear box outer casing. In side it had a shaft that was bolted direct to dif.The other end splined into the clutch plate.To start it you pulled the clutch,fired up.let go the clutch,and away you go.no gear change just twist and go.Must of went through some clutch plates,on tick over it went about 15 mph .But because no gears top line was only 80mph,got there preety quick .No gears 3.5 in a trike frame,even had a fat bob tank balanced on top of the carbs.looked all right .but was a hard tail with sprung seat.
Old 14-05-2004, 01:30 AM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsorts
How easy is it to fit a torque convertor?
Also how does it work?
To fit a torque converter you'll need an auto engine as (from memory) the crank has a slot to take the center of the converter.

The converter works by.... I'll keep this as simple as poss...
This center runs inside a vaned body which is full of hydraulic fluid. When the engine revs up, the center spins faster, throws out fluid into the vanes and (just like blowing on a kids windmill) makes the outside turn.
Well that;s the principal at least but it involves pumps and stuff.
Old 14-05-2004, 06:58 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Send a message via MSN to davesatan Send a message via Yahoo to davesatan

any idears of whats the best master cylinder to operate a reliant trikes rear brakes by foot pedal
cheers alik and all dave

i need legal advice help
Old 16-05-2004, 11:49 PM
Chatter Box

pretty well any master cylinder off anything will do as there isn't much brake fluid needed to move for the small Reliant rear brakes.
You'll find that if you use a Reliant cylinder then they won't be much pedal movement. Cos it only has to move enough fluid for 2 rather than 3 pair of shoes.
Use a smaller cylinder and there will be move movement at the pedal i.e. more feel.
All to do with the size of bore on the cyl as big moves lots of fluid fast and small... err... does the opposite.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:40 PM
Chat Virgin

Default granada trike

im building a granada v6 2.9 engined trike,im not usin auto box as such but i would like it to do more than eighty,could i use the fifth gear to get a bit more top end,an wot would power b like a slow speeds
Old 11-06-2004, 07:42 PM
Chatter Box

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb4stard
im building a granada v6 2.9 engined trike,im not usin auto box as such but i would like it to do more than eighty,could i use the fifth gear to get a bit more top end,an wot would power b like a slow speeds
Hope you have read some of the posts ,re under a ton and not longer than 13 foot. re your question the v6 is going to have enough grunt. the reason most people fit a auto box is you dont have to take your hand off the handle bars to change up. just twist and GOOOOOOOOOO.I have just got rid of a manual in favor of a auto. much better control ,smoother ride,no clutch pedle to worry about.dont understand the slow speed question ?.but car based trikes handle very well as long as they are set up right.the main thing is the front forkes , I have tryed uprated m/cycle forks and leading link . I favor leading link every time. much better control at all speeds and much stronger conctruction.
Old 16-06-2004, 12:31 PM
Chat Virgin

If its any help, I have a reliant trike, around 280kg. I use a bog standard kawasaki master cylinder for the rear breaks..... just the right foot travel, and sharp while not being ridiculous.

I can look up the exact one if you want.
Old 14-09-2004, 07:02 PM
Chat Virgin

could you post the type of kawasaki cylinder used. cheers
iain
Old 15-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH TOWER
Hope you have read some of the posts ,re under a ton and not longer than 13 foot. re your question the v6 is going to have enough grunt. the reason most people fit a auto box is you dont have to take your hand off the handle bars to change up. just twist and GOOOOOOOOOO.I have just got rid of a manual in favor of a auto. much better control ,smoother ride,no clutch pedle to worry about.dont understand the slow speed question ?.but car based trikes handle very well as long as they are set up right.the main thing is the front forkes , I have tryed uprated m/cycle forks and leading link . I favor leading link every time. much better control at all speeds and much stronger conctruction.
when I build the rover V8, it originally had a 5 speed manual box in it for a SD1, but as was pointed out, a BIG trike with a manual box is far too much a pain especially around town, wot with all the numerous gear changes, clutching, steering etc, you get the feeling your doing the dying fly, with all the arm and leg movement, so I converted it to automatic, and its so much more fun with twist and gooooooooooo.

BTW anyone want a 5 speed manual gearbox for a rover V8?
P.S. the trikes for sale too