100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Old 19-04-2018, 10:49 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler View Post
Hey, I might work in social care, I don't believe the shite they peddle. I just do the best I can with limited ground level resources. i also grew up in the system as a kid/your as well.We had some good pubs in Edinburgh, where I grew up. The blind beggar, the black pig, the southern to name but 3.
I fully appreciate that the front line staff in the care services have a lot of shit to deal with coming from all directions. I am still hoping to form a relations hip with the care system once they get to know me better. Niave? No I m giving them the benefit of the doubt to be fair to them. If they don't come through then I can reject the care package they offer which I still have received yet.
But its all up in the air atm. I wont make any judgment until I have an offer, assuming they will offer me summat.

Same with me in the late 70s and 80s. The Black Horse and Summerville arms in Leamington, The Waterman at Hatton which was a biker pub up until about 5 years ago. The Three Witches in Stratford in Avon. The Colonnade in Leamington which I've read was a pub Maz Harris drank in although I was only a kid and wouldn't have known him.
It was a crazy time in Warwick and Leamington with the bike clubs.
It was confusing with so many different back patches.
A brilliant time and a place to grow up around bikers.
Happy days
Old 19-04-2018, 10:52 PM

My "local" was "The About Time", what a shit name for a pub?
It was 100% a bikers pub
Even the ceiling was painted gloss black.
Old 20-04-2018, 05:49 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
That's why I'm involved with DPAC because the tories are killing tens of thousands of the sick, disabled and elderly. It's not a solution to anything other than their hatred of anyone not paying money to the government. They just want slaves to the system.
DPAC is the politicsl arm of fighting the hateful politicsl elite.
Even the human rights team from the United Nations who investigated the UK for the treatment of the sick and disabled said the way they are treated is inhumane and against the most basic human rights. The government ignored the UN report.

I get PIPs which anyone with disabilities or mobility problems can apply for but it's not means tested. Mind you the qualified nurse who assessed he was a lying bastard. She made shit up that didn't happen in the assessment. That's why 70% win it on appeal because the assessment system doesn't work. Private company milking public money like they do.

But the truth is that half the working population is on "in work benefits" just so people can afford very basic living costs. The system is broken, its fucked. We all make our own way as best as we can. But the government will kill me and my little lady given the chance. That's if the NHS don't kill us first.
I agree. I have a disability due to a car crash at work years ago. Left me with only two working fingers and no feeling in my right arm. I can still do most things, and lift weights, but I'm always in pain. As I work i get industrial injury benefit. But doing what I do i know the benefits system, and it's very unfair and flawed.
Old 20-04-2018, 06:00 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
I fully appreciate that the front line staff in the care services have a lot of shit to deal with coming from all directions. I am still hoping to form a relations hip with the care system once they get to know me better. Niave? No I m giving them the benefit of the doubt to be fair to them. If they don't come through then I can reject the care package they offer which I still have received yet.
But its all up in the air atm. I wont make any judgment until I have an offer, assuming they will offer me summat.

Same with me in the late 70s and 80s. The Black Horse and Summerville arms in Leamington, The Waterman at Hatton which was a biker pub up until about 5 years ago. The Three Witches in Stratford in Avon. The Colonnade in Leamington which I've read was a pub Maz Harris drank in although I was only a kid and wouldn't have known him.
It was a crazy time in Warwick and Leamington with the bike clubs.
It was confusing with so many different back patches.
A brilliant time and a place to grow up around bikers.
Happy days
Never worked for councils or nhs, 37 yrs in voluntary sector, mostly management, but fighting the system and organisations just to the right thing for people has just pissed me off over the years. Took demotion a few years back to do hands on more, best thing I have done. The thing is in all the years I've done this, at all levels, most people know me cause I've always just been the way I'm away from work, dress like a biker and take people as I find them. Had to be better than other managers to get past being judged on how I looked. Funny thing the people who we supported took to me no problem, as I was normally just like them, down to earth. Stood me in good stead just being me. It was priceless though when I was at a conference of doing a presentation to other professionals in their suits.who would vanish up their own arses given the chance.. The looks on their faces-,priceless
Old 20-04-2018, 06:02 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
My "local" was "The About Time", what a shit name for a pub?
It was 100% a bikers pub
Even the ceiling was painted gloss black.
Don't think any off the biker pubs i frequented were up there in the taste stakes, but great places. Now I spend time at Bikers Cove in Queensferry. It's a cafe run by bikers for bikers. It's my second home.
Old 21-04-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I agree. I have a disability due to a car crash at work years ago. Left me with only two working fingers and no feeling in my right arm. I can still do most things, and lift weights, but I'm always in pain. As I work i get industrial injury benefit. But doing what I do i know the benefits system, and it's very unfair and flawed.
In one way I was lucky when I had my life changing bike smash in 2001 to be very strong and fit at 19 stone. It was a major factor in my survival of the impact of the car that hit me and buggered off. I did years of physical exercise in gyms, and cycling and martial arts. The nurses on the trauma ward said to me that if I had been any lesser a bloke than I am on a 600cc bike I would have died on impact. Nuff said.

But my my head still thinks I can do things I used to do.
Yeah I've "lived" with constant chronic pain since the RTA 18 years ago.
Ive been on Codeine phosphate for a long time, topped up with other pain meds.

I've had acupuncture that didn't work, had spinal manipulation, massages, shit loads of physio over the years. Had spinal injections but they wear off very fast.

The pain does twist my head though. I am not nice to be around some of the time and other people just don't understand how it is. You can tell them but they still don't get it. We reckon that its only other people who have been through this kind of crap who can understand ie other bikers.
But not many cut you any slack. Everyone just assumes, even some bikers who were once mates. I wouldn't wish this on my enemies. People sit in judgement of me, but they would have quit life a long time ago in my shoes.
But those people are not in my shoes and could not walk in my shoes because they haven't got the strength or the bollocks to.

The neuropathic pain I still find hard to deal with. I get some of the most intense pain I've ever had in my life in parts of my body where there is no injury and nothing wrong. The pain is in flashes and comes every few seconds, it takes my breath away and I never know when its going to happen during the day or night when I'm asleep. It can last a few minutes or several hours. But I can't do anything while its happening. Its fucked up....

My spine is collapsing because of degenerative scoliosis.
Last time they measured it at the Nuffield spinal unit, they said taking a horizontal level line across the base of my spine, my lumbar spine is 27 degrees anti clockwise away from the vertical. Then it curves back in higher up.
I had a spinal stroke as well. Less than 1.2% of all strokes is a spinal stroke.
Ive got pelvic tilt and pelvic twist and I have abnormal bone growth where I bust the pelvis and its growing bone to try and repair itself.
My left leg is now only 1/2" shorter than my right and my left foot turns in when I walk so I trip over my right foot if I ain't careful
I've got a lot of quids worth of internal titanium engineering.
There's shed loads more but no need to mention all of it.

But thankfully I am a stubborn old bastard and get on with things.
My little lady is always telling me off for killing myself to get things done, to which I reply "Well who else is going to do it?" She knows that if we don't get it done then no one else will help us. Both our families are ####ing useless. She got wiped out on a bike by a hit and run van driver 10 years before we met. Her mashed pelvis is trying to grow spurs back into her spine further up which gives her massive pain. Her body is still trying to mend itself. We say she is growing her angel wings back. She had her wings very badly clipped by the arsehole van driver.

We are both the same, bikers for life and we do have a laugh.
Live to ride, ride to live !
What else is there?
Old 21-04-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Never worked for councils or nhs, 37 yrs in voluntary sector, mostly management, but fighting the system and organisations just to the right thing for people has just pissed me off over the years. Took demotion a few years back to do hands on more, best thing I have done. The thing is in all the years I've done this, at all levels, most people know me cause I've always just been the way I'm away from work, dress like a biker and take people as I find them. Had to be better than other managers to get past being judged on how I looked. Funny thing the people who we supported took to me no problem, as I was normally just like them, down to earth. Stood me in good stead just being me. It was priceless though when I was at a conference of doing a presentation to other professionals in their suits.who would vanish up their own arses given the chance.. The looks on their faces-,priceless
One of my "professional" bosses who had a real cockney barra boy attitude, told me not to park my motorcycle outside his offices because it would give his clients in the midlands a bad impression if they saw that.
I had a pristine derestricted ZZR1100D at the time in blue and green.
The dozy cockney w***er didn't realise that out of his midland clients who I dealt with every day and got on well with, some of them were bikers and we got on great, probably better than he would because we rode bikes

I quit that job not long after that. I hate ignorance and that moron has a BSc and an MSc. I enjoyed slapping my notice letter hard down on his desk under his fat face, the loser. Outsmarted by a Brummie
Old 22-04-2018, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
In one way I was lucky when I had my life changing bike smash in 2001 to be very strong and fit at 19 stone. It was a major factor in my survival of the impact of the car that hit me and buggered off. I did years of physical exercise in gyms, and cycling and martial arts. The nurses on the trauma ward said to me that if I had been any lesser a bloke than I am on a 600cc bike I would have died on impact. Nuff said.

I've had acupuncture that didn't work, had spinal manipulation, massages, shit loads of physio over the years. Had spinal injections but they wear off very fast.

The pain does twist my head though. I am not nice to be around some of the time and other people just don't understand how it is. You can tell them but they still don't get it. We reckon that its only other people who have been through this kind of crap who can understand ie other bikers.
But not many cut you any slack. Everyone just assumes, even some bikers who were once mates. I wouldn't wish this on my enemies. People sit in judgement of me, but they would have quit life a long time ago in my shoes.
But those people are not in my shoes and could not walk in my shoes because they haven't got the strength or the bollocks to.

The neuropathic pain I still find hard to deal with. I get some of the most intense pain I've ever had in my life in parts of my body where there is no injury and nothing wrong. The pain is in flashes and comes every few seconds, it takes my breath away and I never know when its going to happen during the day or night when I'm asleep. It can last a few minutes or several hours. But I can't do anything while its happening. Its fucked up....

Last time they measured it at the Nuffield spinal unit, they said taking a horizontal level line across the base of my spine, my lumbar spine is 27 degrees anti clockwise away from the vertical. Then it curves back in higher up.
I had a spinal stroke as well. Less than 1.2% of all strokes is a spinal stroke.
Ive got pelvic tilt and pelvic twist and I have abnormal bone growth where I bust the pelvis and its growing bone to try and repair itself.
My left leg is now only 1/2" shorter than my right and my left foot turns in when I walk so I trip over my right foot if I ain't careful

My little lady is always telling me off for killing myself to get things done, to which I reply "Well who else is going to do it?" She knows that if we don't get it done then no one else will help us. Both our families are ####ing useless. She got wiped out on a bike by a hit and run van driver 10 years before we met. Her mashed pelvis is trying to grow spurs back into her spine further up which gives her massive pain. Her body is still trying to mend itself. We say she is growing her angel wings back. She had her wings very badly clipped by the arsehole van driver.

What else is there?
I must have a guardian angel somewhere, as in all my biking life since sixteen I've come off three maybe four times, two fo those was a high speed off, one when bloody hare ran out in front of me and went up the grass verge to avoid it, and I defy anyone who says that I should have hit it, and not swerved. Either way I was destined to take a slide up the road at about 60mph, and ripp the arse out of my trousers, I was going to take the bike for it's fisrt 5000 mile service, and the worst I've suffered is a bit of gravel rash, if that. So my hat's off to you Hos and your lady for the all the pain that you bare and trying to keep sane.

Oh yeah, there's always Cake! and Chocolate!...
Old 22-04-2018, 03:09 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:

What else is there?
it's all you can do is just get on with it. It took me 10yrs to get back to lifting the weights i did pre accident. I just need to watch my right arm is moving at same place left one is on a lift, and no heavy jerk lifts. Now benching 350lbs. I was on tramadol, nytriptaline,etc, but it affects my mood. Made decision to just go with paracetamol, steroid gel and acupuncture. Takes the edge off. I just get on with it, don't know any other way. Don't know many people my age that are unscathed from riding bikes, so I'm in good company.
Old 22-04-2018, 03:14 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
One of my "professional" bosses who had a real cockney barra boy attitude, told me not to park my motorcycle outside his offices because it would give his clients in the midlands a bad impression if they saw that.
I had a pristine derestricted ZZR1100D at the time in blue and green.
The dozy cockney w***er didn't realise that out of his midland clients who I dealt with every day and got on well with, some of them were bikers and we got on great, probably better than he would because we rode bikes

I quit that job not long after that. I hate ignorance and that moron has a BSc and an MSc. I enjoyed slapping my notice letter hard down on his desk under his fat face, the loser. Outsmarted by a Brummie
If your thinking your better than others, then you usually arent. Sounds like a dick. I am now more qualified than my boss at work, and our area manager.. Does it matter, not a jot. If rather be true to my roots and my not let my job define me. I'm a biker, nothing more, nothing less.
Old 22-04-2018, 03:19 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
I must have a guardian angel somewhere, as in all my biking life since sixteen I've come off three maybe four times, two fo those was a high speed off, one when bloody hare ran out in front of me and went up the grass verge to avoid it, and I defy anyone who says that I should have hit it, and not swerved. Either way I was destined to take a slide up the road at about 60mph, and ripp the arse out of my trousers, I was going to take the bike for it's fisrt 5000 mile service, and the worst I've suffered is a bit of gravel rash, if that. So my hat's off to you Hos and your lady for the all the pain that you bare and trying to keep sane.

Always cake and chocolate. I've only had one bike accident. 4 yrs ago got my foot crushed, breaking every bone in it, ripping tendons and ligaments when a car turned into me crushing my foot between the sill on his 44 and my frame. Need the op to get my foot working, but after 4 years I've got used to getting around with a foot that don't move much. Up to that point it's never had a bike accident.
Old 22-04-2018, 06:46 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Had my leg and foot trapped between the front wing of a BMW and the bike at 50mph, which blew the fat of the muscle and damaged the Saphenous nerve to my left leg. I know about neuropathic nerve pain, my leg could not stand the touch of my trousers against my skin, it felt like a red hot knife being drawn through the flesh of my leg. I managed for two years, struggling to keep a job where I stood for 11 3/4 hours a day and not take so many pain killers as not to be able to function. I was offered the choice of having the nerve cut but as a welder, it was not a safe option (burns and heat damage could occur without me knowing till it was too late). Eventually I had a small op where they cleaned up a lot of the attachments (where the damaged nerve attached itself to the skin and muscle) and it has improved quite a bit. It now feels like a couple of day old bruise if I put any pressure on it, which means I have to sleep on my back.
Old 22-04-2018, 07:06 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
Had my leg and foot trapped between the front wing of a BMW and the bike at 50mph, which blew the fat of the muscle and damaged the Saphenous nerve to my left leg. I know about neuropathic nerve pain, my leg could not stand the touch of my trousers against my skin, it felt like a red hot knife being drawn through the flesh of my leg. I managed for two years, struggling to keep a job where I stood for 11 3/4 hours a day and not take so many pain killers as not to be able to function. I was offered the choice of having the nerve cut but as a welder, it was not a safe option (burns and heat damage could occur without me knowing till it was too late). Eventually I had a small op where they cleaned up a lot of the attachments (where the damaged nerve attached itself to the skin and muscle) and it has improved quite a bit. It now feels like a couple of day old bruise if I put any pressure on it, which means I have to sleep on my back.
Nerve pains a bitch. I don't feel anything in my right arm, but it feels like it's being ripped out of my shoulder blade when I've over done it. Fine motor skills are shit, so I need to watch what I'm doing other wise I am very clumsy and uncoordinated.
What a load of old crocks we are
Old 22-04-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
If your thinking your better than others, then you usually arent. Sounds like a dick. I am now more qualified than my boss at work, and our area manager.. Does it matter, not a jot. If rather be true to my roots and my not let my job define me. I'm a biker, nothing more, nothing less.
I know who is any good and who isn't in my line of work and as an ex employer myself. My professional job was an entirely different world to my personal life. There are a lot of people who still look down on bikers and that is the level of idiocy among the masses.

I did not tell 99.9% of people who I worked with or met through work that I had a motorcycle. I learned not to tell anyone at work fairly early on due to the amount of gross ignorance displayed by colleagues with very high academic qualifications.

Last edited by HOS; 22-04-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 22-04-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
it's all you can do is just get on with it. It took me 10yrs to get back to lifting the weights i did pre accident. I just need to watch my right arm is moving at same place left one is on a lift, and no heavy jerk lifts. Now benching 350lbs. I was on tramadol, nytriptaline,etc, but it affects my mood. Made decision to just go with paracetamol, steroid gel and acupuncture. Takes the edge off. I just get on with it, don't know any other way. Don't know many people my age that are unscathed from riding bikes, so I'm in good company.

Always been the same all my life, I just get on with stuff that needs doing.
From years of gym work and cycling I got used to pushing through the pain barrier for long periods of time, its the same now every day. I've avoided the more serious opiate pain meds, I want to save them for later on in life.
Ive had a few "offs" since I got my first road bike the FS1E.
Crashing and coming off are probably not the easiest or quickest way of learning how to ride well.

Ive lost a lot of good bike mates mostly through crashes which were not their fault. There are some savage bastards out there on the roads especially in the West Midlands area. I've had cars rattle my fairing a few times when they've pulled out on me when I was overtaking. But car drivers in that area will look you in the eye and run you down rather than turn their stearing wheel an inch. I chose when I ride and drive now and when I stay off the road.
Old 22-04-2018, 07:35 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Quote:
I know who is any good and who isn't in my line of work and as an ex employer myself. My professional job was an entirely different world to my personal life.
There are a lot of people who still look down on bikers and that is the level of idiocy among the masses.

I did not tell 99.9% of people who I worked with or met through work that I had a motorcycle. I learned not to tell anyone at work fairly early on due to the amount of gross ignorance displayed by colleagues with very high academic qualifications.
My chargehand knew I was a biker and when his lad was killed on a bike I was the only one who could talk to him. I guess he wanted to understand what had happened and how and I was the only one who could help in that respect. Never hid the fact that I rode from anybody because the could go fuck themselves if they didn't like it.

I have problems with my leg, not knowing where it is (and not in my mouth, Tucky) as it sometimes sends false signals. This leads me to drag my foot or stumble and quite often to stall the car as the clutch is not fully engaged...... Life can be an arsehole but that's all we have at the end of the day, so we might as well enjoy it.

I believe in the US that ER dpts. refer to bikers as organ donors.....
Old 22-04-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:

Nothing quite like a cuppa tea and a nice slice of cake Friar
Old 22-04-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
My chargehand knew I was a biker and when his lad was killed on a bike I was the only one who could talk to him. I guess he wanted to understand what had happened and how and I was the only one who could help in that respect. Never hid the fact that I rode from anybody because the could go fuck themselves if they didn't like it.

I have problems with my leg, not knowing where it is (and not in my mouth, Tucky) as it sometimes sends false signals. This leads me to drag my foot or stumble and quite often to stall the car as the clutch is not fully engaged...... Life can be an arsehole but that's all we have at the end of the day, so we might as well enjoy it.

Being totally honest with you I have a low level of tolerance for people.
I get on with bikers and that's because we share a very similar outlook on most things especially life, or death.

When I went to my favourite biker meeting place on two crutches, bikers who didn't know me would sometimes come up all glib and slick and say "ooohh were you speeding ??" I responded quite badly to that kind of rubbish. That's how I would expect non riding deadheads to comment. Don't assume.

Every year after my smash I buried a bike mate for 7 years and then a gap.
The most recent biker mate I buried was last year.
Old 22-04-2018, 07:50 PM

But great news the garage has dried out now !!!
Ordered a new sidestand cutout switch from Cradely Kawasaki and then I'll be able to see if the bike will turn over.
Old 22-04-2018, 10:32 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
I know who is any good and who isn't in my line of work and as an ex employer myself. My professional job was an entirely different world to my personal life. There are a lot of people who still look down on bikers and that is the level of idiocy among the masses.

I took the opposite approach, it's hard not to know I'm as biker, so not worth trying to hide it for me. Your right about the idiots though, looking down on us. I just made them look even more stupid, by doing my job well and being smarter than them. At my busiest i was managing 3 day services. Something most of the idiots couldn't have done successfully. Very satisfying at the time.
Old 22-04-2018, 10:33 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Always been the same all my life, I just get on with stuff that needs doing.
From years of gym work and cycling I got used to pushing through the pain barrier for long periods of time, its the same now every day. I've avoided the more serious opiate pain meds, I want to save them for later on in life.
Ive had a few "offs" since I got my first road bike the FS1E.
Crashing and coming off are probably not the easiest or quickest way of learning how to ride well.

Ive lost a lot of good bike mates mostly through crashes which were not their fault. There are some savage bastards out there on the roads especially in the West Midlands area. I've had cars rattle my fairing a few times when they've pulled out on me when I was overtaking. But car drivers in that area will look you in the eye and run you down rather than turn their stearing wheel an inch. I chose when I ride and drive now and when I stay off the road.
Life's what we make it, eh
Old 22-04-2018, 10:35 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:

They certainly do, but with all the straight roads, their standard of riding, and a lack of protection, is a bad combination.
Old 23-04-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Life's what we make it, eh
Generally yeah. But only in general terms.
Apart from the occasional brief interaction with other people which turn things inside out. There is a lot of people out there who want to infect you with their stupid.
Old 23-04-2018, 04:51 PM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Generally yeah. But only in general terms.
Apart from the occasional brief interaction with other people which turn things inside out. There is a lot of people out there who want to infect you with their stupid.
Couldn't agree more. Not a people person either.
Old 23-04-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. Not a people person either.
My face upsets most people as soon as they meet me
Old 23-04-2018, 09:18 PM
Chatter Box

Not sure what to say to that lol.
Old 24-04-2018, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
But great news the garage has dried out now !!!
Ordered a new sidestand cutout switch from Cradely Kawasaki and then I'll be able to see if the bike will turn over.
He's found a bucket to piddle in.....
Old 24-04-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
He's found a bucket to piddle in.....
Those two days of high heat were a gift !
I hope we don't get any more storms.
Old 25-04-2018, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

He's going to need more buckets!.....
Old 25-04-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
He's going to need more buckets!.....

Noooo no more rain !
I reckon I made it rain today. For the first time I tried out my new Karcher pressure washer. Only a basic one, a K2 I think it is.
I started by the kitchen door and I was only going to do a little bit to make sure it worked. Well as you do I got a bit carried away, new toys and all that.
So I've done at least 1/4 of the patio and it looks like brand new! The rest of the mock stone paving slabs look jet black now! A great tool for cleaning patio's and a bit of car or bike washing.