100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 27-02-2008, 09:19 AM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Default Hypercharger any good?

Thinking of getting a hypercharger for me XV16, any one got one any good?

Better than just sticking on a K&N ?
Old 27-02-2008, 09:46 AM

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

a lot might tell you they`re the DB`s, but you gotta weigh up the idea of gaining a couple of extra horses, against loosing several hundred pounds.

personnelly I don`t think they`re worth it, you`d be better off spending your money on something else to get a better Hp/££ ratio

an R1 owning mate once said to me "I know it`ll go faster, but I can`t seem to make it do it"

i replied "stop eating the pies you fat cnut, and it just might go faster"

the fact that he was 19 1/2 stone didn`t help
Old 27-02-2008, 09:55 AM

shiny bling tat that doesnt have any real benefit. people claiming huge benefits from them seem to be suffering from ' the emperors new clothes ' syndrome, obviously after spending the cash, they arent going to admit that theres no real benefit are they!!
i recon it all goes back to mad max!! people saw that film, and suddenly everyone wanted some kind of whizz bang device that looks the bollox and makes shedloads of power.

in all reality, youd get more power from a decent set of well designed pipes, for a similar amount of cash. if youve already got the pipes, then get a dynojet kit and some dyno time.

personally i think the old hypercharger looks ****e, but thats just my oppinion.

http://www.katanaownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php
Old 27-02-2008, 10:02 AM

well even though i'm a supplier of kuryakan parts. the gains from the hypercharger are down to it's airfilter element not the housing it's in.
Old 27-02-2008, 10:40 AM

Cool Hypercharger.

Ihave one fitted on my Superglide. Have to be honest I bought it because I like the way it looks. Also prefer the look of it to the plain airfilter dog bowl. I like it, its my bike and I paid for it. If other people don't like it they don't have to look at it.

Round town on low revs no difference at all. Slight difference when you get up to a decent speed, but not anything that is going to pull your arms off.

Chopper.

WELCOME TO GREAT BRITAIN.
WE ARE FULL UP, SO FUCK OFF.
Old 27-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Been out, but rather stay in!

Send a message via MSN to Worjorj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperFXR
Ihave one fitted on my Superglide. Have to be honest I bought it because I like the way it looks. Also prefer the look of it to the plain airfilter dog bowl. I like it, its my bike and I paid for it. If other people don't like it they don't have to look at it.

Round town on low revs no difference at all. Slight difference when you get up to a decent speed, but not anything that is going to pull your arms off.

Chopper.
Ditto ..................
Old 27-02-2008, 11:26 AM

and why not. i make my living from people purchasing items that do the same job as standard ones, but look different. hyperchargers are derived from the top fuel bug catcher type air intakes but on one hand you have a 5000 bhp nitro burning engine that will propel you at 0-100 mph in less than one second and on the other you have japanese and harley v twins that don't and won't
Old 27-02-2008, 11:35 AM

Cheers thanks for the info, really I just want to get rid of the lunch box size air filter box its got as looks tat, Ill get summat sorted and stick a K&N on then
Old 27-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr
shiny bling tat that doesnt have any real benefit. people claiming huge benefits from them seem to be suffering from ' the emperors new clothes ' syndrome
Yep would have to agree with that!
Old 27-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

I think the XV16 looks good as it comes out of the factory, Yamaha are pretty good at building motorbikes, Like every thing else you get what you pay for so if you gain speed you probably lose torque..But the bike wasn't built as a racing bike it was built for a lifestyle, it's a beautiful bike that will take you across the world in comfort without breaking down, and if you park it next to a row of sportsbikes, it's the one people will crowd round...Just my opinion, I would leave it as standard... John
Old 27-02-2008, 03:31 PM

John STANDARD, what is this word of which you speak?
Old 27-02-2008, 04:16 PM

Send a message via MSN to krammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B
John STANDARD, what is this word of which you speak?
No Si, it's John Hopkins i'd subscribe to the hype in the hyper charger thinking. Try these mate , i get all me stuff of 'em....

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/

Old 27-02-2008, 04:33 PM

Thanks Mark, well handy site that
Old 27-02-2008, 04:38 PM

Hyperchargers don't actually add anything mate.. they have been tested as such except perhaps a very small force fed charge when you are going fast enough.. but it is only a small amount . tye stick out a fair way as well..
the main thing they are designed for is to extract the maximum amount of money from folk's wallets...
better by far to fit a decent free flow air filter..
Old 27-02-2008, 05:13 PM

Hyperchargers are just that, fucking hype. They dont let no special amount of air in, apart from when it's getting forced in at speed, and without extra juice being forced in as well, all it does is weaken the mixture at that point.
They're just a glitzy trinket with important looking, hi-performance looking flapping flaps to attract gullible HD types who see themselves as beyond tassels, but not far...
Old 27-02-2008, 05:25 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Send a message via MSN to madastoast Send a message via Yahoo to madastoast

what's wrong wi' tassels
Nowt wrong wi' go faster tassels they're cheaper than Hyperchargers and do the same job

Faster than an Iraqi window shopper
Old 27-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

I have one fitted to my dragstar and as everyone has said it's bling, the only way to get anybenefit from it I think is to get the bike on a rolling road and get it tuned to the nth degree. I did that with a VN 800 and yes there was a difference in performance but the dyno time was very expensive
Old 27-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Banned

Hyperchargers are bling, They dont even force the air in, I nicked one off me mates H-D when he got it, and told him to fuck offf if he thought he was having it back ..... why ..... well because I am a childish fucker really, and I liked the Mad Max Car and wanted a bug catcher on top of me V max's dummy tank, i couldn't afford the real mc'coy cause Im a cheqapskate, so supercharging was out, plus it was to go on the trike an the Mrs dont like the V-Boost much, she would have siht herself with a supercharger. So it was duly fitted, the reason I say they dont force the air / lean the mixture is down to the fact there is a fucking great drainage slot in them for rainwater to fall out. So its pure bling IMHO but they do look pretty.
Old 27-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy696969
Hyperchargers are bling, They dont even force the air in
Due to the silly posey flappy things at the front they have to have a hole in the bottom/rear to let air in when the flaps are closed so as Shaggy says, absolutely no ram air effect whatsoever.

Plus I was told due to the hole in the rear the air will get pass into the air charger and out the back actually creating a slight vacumn in the carb mouth.
Whether that is true or not I don't know as they had no real evidence but it sounds logical enough.

Load of tosh imo. I've just bought a lovely round nostalgic air cleaner cover to fit my SE air filter. Much nicer.
Old 27-02-2008, 07:24 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

its just a fri**in air filter cover ,ffs
Old 27-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Chatter Box

i´m running a pro-r hypercharger, and as drakken mentioned, it´s a K&N filter in a fancy case.

simon,

the K&N in conjunction with a decent jet kit (BTW, if you do go for a hypercharger DON´T use the 37.5 pilot jet. stick with the 35) does make a difference. on the XV16, the intake is right between the cylinders, and the intake charge is quite warm. with an outside intake, the air is cooler, and as such has a higher density of oxygen (cooler air being more dense). the downside is carb icing at ambient temps of less than 5ºc on the XV.

possibly the best mod on the admission side of the XV16 you can do is to port the inlet manifold. the design is hideous with sharp internal 90º corners. radiusing those corners with mr dremmel makes a great change in throttle response and can gain a couple of ponies. do NOT enlarge the internal diameter as this can lower airspeed in the manifold. just get rid of those corners.

if you need any advice with mods on the XV16, feel free to P.M. me
Old 28-02-2008, 07:35 AM

Thanks for the info Erizo, was gonna polish out the manifold as find most factory produced bikes never have a good finish on internal services.
Found a decent K&N filter with a cover that halft the size of the standard unit and at the end of the day all I really want to do is get rid of that.

Still it makes a good change to get some constructive comments about bike parts on here and not a crap joke
Old 28-02-2008, 09:37 AM

Air filters are for pussies anyway...
Old 28-02-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taff
Ill meow now then

After stripping a motor that had bellmouth on it to find out what was wrong and finding a screw in it, Ive always taken the pussie route mate
Old 28-02-2008, 09:57 AM
Chatter Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins
I think the XV16 looks good as it comes out of the factory, Yamaha are pretty good at building motorbikes, Like every thing else you get what you pay for so if you gain speed you probably lose torque..But the bike wasn't built as a racing bike it was built for a lifestyle, it's a beautiful bike that will take you across the world in comfort without breaking down, and if you park it next to a row of sportsbikes, it's the one people will crowd round...Just my opinion, I would leave it as standard... John
the XV16 is a very good bike, but as is the norm nowerdays, it´s a bit choked up for the emissions regs. changing the filter and silencers make a great difference, doing that makes it a more responsive, economical machine with a very smooth spread of power and torque, but as with many bikes the choice has to be made carefully not to drop the power or torque.
fitting drag pipes to the XV16 isn´t a good idea to keep the torque spread, and fitting for example `hard khrome american classics´ pipes WILL lose both HP and torque.
the hypercharger properly jetted for the configuration of the bike does gain ponies and won´t lose torque. the most common mistake made when fitting them is going too rich. i´ve had to re-set the jetting on some home fitted examples for that reason. the instructons in the kit (and in dynojet kits for the XV as well) tend to be a bit on the rich side, and as we know too rich = less power.
the filter element (K&N) on the standard hypercharger is capable of passing air at a rate of 280 cu/ft - min, and the filter on the pro hypercharger 420 cu/ft-min, both being far better than standard.
the `ram air´effect is nominal (or minimal due to the cutout at the bottom), and jetting to compensate isn´t that difficult if you apply a bit of common to it.

i´ve fitted hyperchargers to various clients bikes (and yes, they are bling without excuses), and ALL have gained noticeable `seat of the pants´ response due to that K&N, not the outer casing.

Last edited by erizo; 28-02-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 28-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Chatter Box

Quote:
`ere taff, have you by any chance found any small children in the float bowl?
Old 28-02-2008, 01:58 PM

Nope.
Cos i took the fine gauze mesh out me funnel what i used to use to fill me van up with nicked from work diesel, and put that at the little end of the bellmouth.
Does an admirable job as well.
Old 28-02-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Nope.
Cos i took the fine gauze mesh out me funnel what i used to use to fill me van up with nicked from work diesel, and put that at the little end of the bellmouth.
sounds like a good idea to me
Old 28-02-2008, 02:43 PM

when i fitted a jet kit from cruiser magic in the states along with k&n's and jardine slip on silencers to my 89 1400 intruder. the difference instantly caused clutch slip.
Old 28-02-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Nope.
Yep I wasnt that clever