100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Old 10-05-2004, 09:17 AM
Maggie B

Default Bikers that ride too fast for their own ability

There is a lot of bad press flying around at the moment about the death rate of Bikers in Yorkshire (and other areas)
These are the power ranger type who have predominantly come to biking late in life, and are going balls out on roads in the Yorkshire Dales, North Yorks Moors etc, which is causing a big backlash by residents in these areas sick of picking up the pieces.
The police are enforcing a crack down in the most popular areas, targetting places such as Devils Bridge.
Do you worry about the future of Biking in the face of this threat?

Discuss?

No offence to people who enjoy riding fast bikes SAFELY. I have a Triumph speed triple myself, so do understand the argument,

Last edited by Maggie B; 10-05-2004 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:26 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

I caught a bit of a debate that was on radio 2 last Friday lunchtime about bikers in Yorkshire. There is a whole bunch of Nimby's written a letter which is posted elsewhere on this forum who claim bikes are riding at up to 180mph on their 'B' roads. Yeah right!!

I don't know who he was, but the guy speaking up for the bikers was really articulate and shot down every argument that was thrown at him by one of these Nimby's. All was going well and it looked as though we were going to come out winners of this particular debate.

It all went tits up when they took phone calls from listeners and this to$$er came on and was proud of the fact that he's had 185mhp showing on his clock of his bike and couldn't see what the problem was. That was it, 1-nil to the Nimby.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:02 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to UKRobKLR650

Lets all go out and buy CG125's, wear tweed and bimble about at 30.
Fcuk this for a game of soldiers, cant be arsed with this
Old 10-05-2004, 10:07 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKRobKLR650
Fcuk this for a game of soldiers, cant be arsed with this
Can just see you now on a 125, hehhehe
Old 10-05-2004, 10:17 AM
Maggie B

Yes But Rob
I don't want to bimble around on a CG125 (do they still make them?)

A serious threat to our biking future, & remember the air gun & replica gun debate not so long ago where the media whipped everyone into a frenzy, causing new laws to be brought in.

Same will most probably happen to Bikers.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Chat Slapper

Default Yeah

And just to make a point, on the way to work on Sat, going a little faster than i should, nice twisty road no traffic. Now i`m speeding so i`m looking forward and concertrating on where i`m going, blind corners Ect, when a plastic fantastic comes past me like im standing still, what speed it was doing was anybodys guess (i`m at 85), their over on the wrong side of the road(double white lines) into a blind bend, christ i thought he/she will not be around for long riding like that. Anyways when i come up behind some cars a little farther along the road they almost drive into the ditch when they saw my lights so that plonker must av scared the **** out of them, now theres nothing wrong with a bit of unobtrusive speed, but that twat was out of his mind on that strech of road, theres blind side roads, tractors, mud on the road, a bloody golf course with a car park full of volvos and mercs (need i say more) and when he/she does wrap it round something we all get tarred with the same brush. Bloody bikers ect ect ect.
Later.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:19 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

MAG and many other people fought long and hard in the battle to get the proposed 100bhp limit scrapped and convince goverment that bikers are capable of monitoring their own power and speed. Now it certainly looks to me like these speed freak t*ss*rs are on the side of the goverment and anybody else who proposes a limit on the speed and power of bikes,maybe they are suicide anti bike campaigners, cos they certainly dont appreciate the fact that at the moment there is no power restriction in force (voluntary or otherwise).but keep on killing yourself boys and sooner or later the powers that be will say enough is enough and start with the restrictions.all HGVs are fitted with speed limiters, how long before they are fitted to bikes and cars.

Dusty
Old 10-05-2004, 11:54 AM
Banned

Ha, the funny thing is most of you dont know me, never seen me on my bike etc, you dont know what i ride, how i ride and what i choose to wear when i ride. All well and good but Triker Girl would have a rough idea and so would Minxy and yep, i have one peice leathers (bright orange, black and white) and a nice race replica Arai. What tickles me is Woohoo for MAG, they fought long and hard etc. Seriously good on em but whats the fookin point? Hey look at me, i have a 120 bhp bike but god forbid i should use it cause i may upset someone Then this thing of slagging off people cause of their attire on a bike. For fucks sake you fossils, hypocricy is not good from anyone yet you all moan about victimisation yet you choose to victimise people cause they choose to wear bright leathers and ride a race bike etc. Yeah, i did say fossils, same as you called me a prick for wearing one peice leathers and riding a sports bike at rather quicker than the speed limit. I ride a big trailie at the mo, 100mph tops but another speed machine is on its way so watch out people, i'll be the fookin idiot riding is bike round you cause i fookin can.
Oh, they'll ban bikes whatever, dont be fooled into thinking that causeyou ride a chopper or summat that you can stop em by slagging off people that enjoy their bikes in other ways. Oh, i hate the sound of slash cut pipes, far more offensive than a nicely tuned race pipe on a sorted bike.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:16 PM

Default I wish........

that I could do that really fast thing, knee down round blind bends, not that I would do it mind BUT I just wish i could, and I wouldn't wear those colourful leather suits cos I feel under preasure to go fast and would probably end up killin' my self.
Ive seen bikers of all kinds taking blind bends with ease but there are some who end up on the wrong side of the road usually with me on my ickle fazer tootling along behind them crappin' myself that they are gonna get killed and possibly kill some innocents coming in opposite direction in thier car, I suppose though they wouldn't do it if they didn't know what they were doing.

Most of us don't do it cos we can't, some are just plain sensible.

I'm the one that can't but wish someone would teach me how to do it with confidence.

exhausted, and loudly proclaiming: "F*** ME, that was BRILLIANT!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GarrysPhrogg
Big boots n stuff

Do or Die

Click Here For Nice F uckin Bikes

Last edited by GarrysPhrogg; 10-05-2004 at 12:17 PM. Reason: missed something
Old 10-05-2004, 12:25 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Ha, the funny thing is most of you dont know me, never seen me on my bike etc, you dont know what i ride, how i ride and what i choose to wear when i ride. All well and good but Triker Girl would have a rough idea and so would Minxy and yep, i have one peice leathers (bright orange, black and white) and a nice race replica Arai. What tickles me is Woohoo for MAG, they fought long and hard etc. Seriously good on em but whats the fookin point? Hey look at me, i have a 120 bhp bike but god forbid i should use it cause i may upset someone Then this thing of slagging off people cause of their attire on a bike. For fucks sake you fossils, hypocricy is not good from anyone yet you all moan about victimisation yet you choose to victimise people cause they choose to wear bright leathers and ride a race bike etc. Yeah, i did say fossils, same as you called me a prick for wearing one peice leathers and riding a sports bike at rather quicker than the speed limit. I ride a big trailie at the mo, 100mph tops but another speed machine is on its way so watch out people, i'll be the fookin idiot riding is bike round you cause i fookin can.
Oh, they'll ban bikes whatever, dont be fooled into thinking that causeyou ride a chopper or summat that you can stop em by slagging off people that enjoy their bikes in other ways. Oh, i hate the sound of slash cut pipes, far more offensive than a nicely tuned race pipe on a sorted bike.
there is one seriously large chip on your shoulder mate,nobody on this thread called you a prick cos you wear one piece leathers,but your attitude sucks,and no doubt you will be one of the first to start whingeing if and when bans and restrictions get applied,no matter what bike you ride.but like they say "if the cap fits"
Old 10-05-2004, 12:28 PM
Banned

Garry, the knee down thing aint that hard mate but its also pointless on British roads. Relax is the best thing i can say as it does help a lot. Oh the Fazer is capable of keeping up with most bikes until you got on a long long straight and yer up againstan R1 or summat, plus the fazers got them fookin great brakes Most of it really comes down to picking the right speed into a corner before ya get into it, you shouldnt need to brake or change gear in a corner if ya get what i mean. Once youve mastered that all youve got to do is lean Of course tyres help a lot to, i used to love Bridgestones, BT020 on rear, 010 on front
Old 10-05-2004, 12:36 PM
Maggie B

Ha, the funny thing is most of you dont know me, never seen me on my bike etc, you dont know what i ride, how i ride and what i choose to wear when i ride. All well and good but Triker Girl would have a rough idea and so would Minxy and yep, i have one peice leathers (bright orange, black and white) and a nice race replica Arai.

Rob-this isn't a personal dig at you mate. I have many friends who wear the same bikers gear as your but are responsible

What tickles me is Woohoo for MAG, they fought long and hard etc. Seriously good on em but whats the fookin point? Hey look at me, i have a 120 bhp bike but god forbid i should use it cause i may upset someone

My point was against the bikers who ride like prats-not you particularly. I don't ride like a pansy-but then there is a difference between overtaking badly and riding and scaring car drivers.
We are not Mad Max FFS

Then this thing of slagging off people cause of their attire on a bike. For fucks sake you fossils, hypocricy is not good from anyone yet you all moan about victimisation yet you choose to victimise people cause they choose to wear bright leathers and ride a race bike etc.

Where in the above is there anything about what you wear when you ride your Bike Rob? Are you having a bad day?

Yeah, i did say fossils, same as you called me a prick for wearing one peice leathers

No we didn't

and riding a sports bike at rather quicker than the speed limit.

Good for you-a lot of us do too BUT SAFELY

I ride a big trailie at the mo, 100mph tops but another speed machine is on its way so watch out people, i'll be the fookin idiot riding is bike round you cause i fookin can.

????

Oh, they'll ban bikes whatever, dont be fooled into thinking that causeyou ride a chopper or summat that you can stop em by slagging off people that enjoy their bikes in other ways. Oh, i hate the sound of slash cut pipes, far more offensive than a nicely tuned race pipe on a sorted bike

I agree-but its down to personal preference when it comes to bikes.
I have just spent 13 years riding Harleys, and I think they sound great, but have changed my bike for a Triumph Speed triple. I love the triumph too

I think you need to go to Helmsley Rob, or around Hawes, or Kirby Lonsdale, or Even just the road to Whitby to see these t*ssers ride.
Follow them and then watch them take their helmets off

Thats when you may see fossils !!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 12:46 PM

Default I'm not Garry....

LOL Im Lynne (GarrysPhrogg) he's Garry *points over there* the one with the massey ferguson.....oopps I mean Harley Davidson *giggle*

OK i see what you are saying about leaning into the bends etc but have you seen the bends at alston pass
I can counter steer and I can handle right hand blind(ish) bends but left ones really make me feel sick.
Last time I tried one I ended up on other side of road half way up a grassy bank, just missing a couple of cars, i even put my foot down, anyway 5 minutes later we stopped and Garry said to me "you took that bend a bit wide didn't you" errmmm Well i didnt bloody mean to LOL.
anyway few weeks ago at alston pass I lost my nerve completely and ended up hugging the grass verge at about 2 mph, shaking !!!!! like I said Im ok on right hand bends and open roads where I can see ahead of me, I never wait in traffic, an when there's a group of us I usually end up in front as they go too slow for me and my ickle fazer.

GarrysPhrogg <Aka Lynne>
exhausted, and loudly proclaiming: "F*** ME, that was BRILLIANT!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GarrysPhrogg
Big boots n stuff

Do or Die

Click Here For Nice F uckin Bikes
Old 10-05-2004, 01:06 PM

I think you should re define the thread heading , as " Bikers that ride too fast for their own ability".

Nothing to do with the law or speed limits... more about common sense and ability to ride a bike within your means.

Like Mr.Eastwood said... " A man's gotta know his limitations"
Old 10-05-2004, 01:17 PM
Chat Virgin

Default Rights vs. Responsibilities

As someone touched on above, the problem isn't so much the riding of bikes at speed as the tendency of our current government to introduce knee jerk legislation in order to grease up the voting populace, a good proportion of who will be of the NIMBY, bikes-are-dangerous-even-when-parked persuasion.

Lately, the powers that be have repeatedly demonstrated that they want to protect us from ourselves by emptying the toybox of anything that might be vaguely dangerous if misused (only last week Big Nurse took my crayons away ). At the moment, the transport ministry is scrutinising our hobby/lifestyle because bikes make up a significant chunk of their accident statistics. Rightly or wrongly this puts us in a position where we have to collectively watch our arses.

In a perfect world, we should all be able to ride what we want, when we want and how we want, provided that we don't interfere adversely with anyone elses life. But we don't and we can't.

The problem is one of a wrongly perceived freedom from collective responsibility, at least from a societal point of view:
From a libertarian perspective, I, and probably a lot of bikers, am all for individual choice. I quite like to tear arse around on a bike, and am quite happy to take on my shoulders the calculated risk involved in that; If the road is open, empty and it's only my life thats at stake, then it should ideally be my choice if I ride to the limits of my ability, and my responsibility if I get turned into the Domino's Pizza poster boy in doing so.

But we're stuck on this island with people of all shapes, hues and mindsets, and the joy of democracy has left us all with the power to interfere with each others lives. Some folk love bikes, but some are indifferent, some are scared of them and the rest are killjoy, NIMBY w**kers who don't like anything that wasn't mentioned in Mrs. Beeton. Rightly or wrongly, these people if they shout loud enough can properly s**t on all our picnics.

By doing over the ton throught their villages or (like me ) revving your slash-piped home built horror past their begonia patch we will only cause grief, possibly irreverible legislative grief, for ourselves. If theres a vote in it, Blair, Howard et al will have us all back on Vespas before we've got the kickstand up. And that "ourselves" isn't based on any tribalistic nonsense I might want to spout; it represents everyone on a bike who wants to ride legally within the confines dictated by society. Obviously, there are people who prefer to stay outside such boundaries, but they're not going to give a toss about any of my wafflings anyway ( I suspect they're in good company )

Owning or riding a bike is a privelige not a right; it can be taken from us by society, and we sadly don't seem live in a society where individuals are held accountable for their actions any more. As a result of this the prat who overtakes on a blind bend pulling a wheelie and ends up in the passenger seast of granny's fiesta is digging a hole for biking in general.

It doesn't work like that for Joe Cager, because everyone knows cars are socially acceptable and "safe". Even people who quite like the look of bikes will cheerfully announce "oh, I'd never go on one: too dangerous". We are in the dangerous position of being a minority interest group who represent an easy way of lowering apparent RTA fatality figures.

We can't get away with thinking along the lines of "but I'm not hurting anyone" because if you do anything even vaguely outrageous any where near middle England the bastards will find a way to convince themselves that you are, and much as we might like to, shouting "ah well F**K' EM!" isn't going to work because, as the minority, it'll be us who gets to call them daddy through a mouthfull of pillow if theres any f***ing to be done.

What we can do is make a concerted effort to get our house in order: better education for riders, to make sure we ride within the confines of our own ability and not those of our bikes (I'd put my beer money on 80% + of sports bike owners being unable to handle the full potential of their machines). Cheaper trackdays for the speedfreaks. If we must ride like dickheads on the road, then we could at least be doing it where no one can see/catch us.

Bottom line is, I guess, that whether we like it or not, we are all in the same boat, and its in our collective interests to grab an oar and at least try to row in the same direction, before we drift down the proverbial s**t creek
Old 10-05-2004, 01:20 PM
Maggie B

Chaz
Its always been "Bikers that ride too fast for their own ability"

Yes... good idea-changed now.
Its true
Those of us who have been riding for years, including you Rob, are more likely to be safer as we have learnt from our mistakes
Lets not forget those who died from a mistake

I am not a politician, and I can't hope to make myself clear without rubbing someone up the wrong way.

Just trying to put my point across.

Its the riders who are ruining it for the rest of us that I am worried about.
I love riding my Bike, and hope to do so for many years, but to have it cut short because of laws brought in to tackle the poor riders who Can't really care about bike riding, but are just on the latest adrenaline buzz-cheap bikes
Old 10-05-2004, 01:31 PM
Maggie B

Doh-can't change the thread title when its been done
Never mind
Old 10-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
And whats wrong with that - my tweed plus fours look lovely
Old 10-05-2004, 02:12 PM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Could have been you on the radio then Rob
Old 10-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Reject
And whats wrong with that - my tweed plus fours look lovely
I wear flip flops on my trike, but my missus reckons i've got 2 left feet so they must be flip flips then
Old 10-05-2004, 02:57 PM

Default My personal view..

well its quite simple for me personally. I ride fast when i feel like it, but most times I ride slow cos I enjoy the scenery (no the pose factors' got nothin to do with it,,honest)

I live a simple life. I keep myself to myself mostly and dont pay attention to whatever the next person is up to. Call this ignorant or whatever but thats me , thats the way I am.

Yes I may be disabled, but I thank my lucky stars each time I'm out riding so I can enjoy yet another simple day in life........

And no I'm not a hippy !!! LOL
Old 10-05-2004, 03:06 PM
Banned

When i add my comments im adding them in a broad context not a personal attack nor do i actually take them as a personal attack im just pointing out that double standards and hypocricy to me are wrong. Oh, how do you know ive been riding a bike for years, i may be a so called born again
On a lighter note, i need to ride like a loon cause i have an ickle knob.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:10 PM

Quote:
When i add my comments im adding them in a broad context not a personal attack nor do i actually take them as a personal attack im just pointing out that double standards and hypocricy to me are wrong. Oh, how do you know ive been riding a bike for years, i may be a so called born again
On a lighter note, i need to ride like a loon cause i have an ickle knob.
Lighten up, If anyone's going to do any attacking round here, it'll be me!!
Sharpens teeth,LOL gimme ya blood
Old 10-05-2004, 03:29 PM
Maggie B

Maggie B
AKA Harleybint

You've told us all enough about yourself in previous posts over the forums you post on ya loon

Ride safe Rob
Old 10-05-2004, 03:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie B
Maggie B
AKA Harleybint

You've told us all enough about yourself in previous posts over the forums you post on ya loon

Ride safe Rob
Me ride safe?
Hey, i could be a pathological liar
Old 10-05-2004, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie B
Doh-can't change the thread title when its been done
Never mind
Well you should also change the " Power Rangers" bit an all. I think you shouldn't be pointing fingers at people who choose to wear a certain style of clothing , or ride a certain style of bike.
There are simply too many w*nkers on bikes right now. Some of them wear dayglo , and some of them wear black leather too. We might be able to see through them , but it worries me that "Joe Public" and Government bodies can't. So what's the answer?
Old 10-05-2004, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty
I wear flip flops on my trike, but my missus reckons i've got 2 left feet so they must be flip flips then
Hahahahaha
Old 10-05-2004, 08:20 PM
Jedi Chat Master

I could always change my surname to public and tell the government that I'll vote for them forever if they take a look at all bikers through my special w*nker spotting x-ray specs (hopefully available soon through the ewokandtuck emporium)
Old 10-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Chatter Box

There are a lot of mentions of "knowing what my limits are". I don't like the idea of finding what your limits are. There are a lot of roads round here with floral tributes on trees indicating where someone found out exactly what his (normally a bloke) limit was.

Here's a question for Rob: You ride a big trailie, and I just got a Triumph Tiger 955i after a year and a half on a Speed Triple; so do you find it easier to ride our roads quicker on the trailie? Riding the Speed Triple on bumpy country roads at times felt like operating a road drill and that at times affected my confidence. Wodga reckon?
Old 10-05-2004, 11:24 PM

I've just bought an XR600 Enduro to have a prat about on in the summer and find that you've got a bit more vision because of the seat height and hence a bit more confidence at speed because I can see over hedges wher I can't on me chop. I just wish it would handle like the GPZ.
And by the way I'm the first to say that I look like an arsehole in dayglo motocross gear before anyone else see's me out and about (eh Triker Gal)