100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 28-10-2012, 07:34 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Default milage

depending on the size of a engine what is a high miler,say a 1200 sportster,a xjr 1300,is 19.000 to many,is there some sort of big service due at 20.000,ive been offerd one,the xjr has 17.000 on the clock,and the sportster 19.000
Old 28-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Jedi Chat Master

All depends on the owner 5000 miles is a lot in some hands my Bm has 23000 on this clock but it's on it's 3rd set of clocks just maintain it and replace what needs replacing when it's shagged milage don't matter
Old 28-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Let's put it another way i would sooner buy a bike with 100,000 miles on it that has been looked after than one with 5,000 miles that hasn't been looked after and cleaning isn't what i mean by looked after
It's all about how well its been maintained not how often it's been polished
Old 28-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

over 60,000 would make me think twice..

John.
Old 28-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Banned

20k with a Harley.
Old 28-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Chat Slut

I agree with wiskers, if its been well maintained not a problem.

Having said that & having owned an 70's Harley 20 miles was to much for me.
Old 28-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Well maintained XJR1300 with 17K is just about run in, and ready to be ridden hard.

Mine's on 26K.

It isn't the journey or the destination ........it's who you ride it with.
Old 28-10-2012, 09:06 PM

My Honda 500/4 only started getting that worn - needs attention feeling after 180,000 miles or so most of that a sidecar tug getting used fairly hard, on the other hand my 125 is acting up at 30,000 miles, how well it's been treated would seem more inportant then how far it's been, neglect oil top ups or changes and even a good bike will die fairly rapidly. Genrally I'd think of jap in line 4's as being more robust than most bikes.
Old 28-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Jedi Chat Master

First you will have to decide what you want the bike for others may disagree
But if you want a bike to get on and ride buy the Yam
If you want a bike to throw big wads of cash at to make it what you want buy the Harley
They are two very different bikes the Yam will do anything you ask of it the Harley will do what it want's to do you can do all sorts of things to a harley but it will never be as practical as the yam sure the harley will hold it's price better but if you spend on it to make it what you want you will never get your money back

The Yam will be faster more comfortable and more reliable and a better day to day bike
But you won't be able to tell people that know no better that you ride a Harley Davidson

You pays your money etc
I know where my money would go
Old 28-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Chat Slapper

My Road King has just turned 40K, it had 15K when I bought it two years ago and apart from service stuff it has been great, no thoughts of changing it yet.

Sportster has done 16K again can't see me trading it, too good to pass on yet

Had a Honda that I did 160K on a few years ago, look after a bike and it will give you good service
Old 29-10-2012, 09:07 AM
Banned

But as mentioned on here before, Most Harley riders have more than one, so they can still ride to the Hog meets at the Harley Cafe's in their local Riders brach, whilst the other is being repaired.
Old 29-10-2012, 09:22 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Just been looking back through this and can't understand why none of us have asked why are you looking at two such different bikes?

If there were two bikes parked outside that i knew nothing about and had to pick one to ride down to the south of france it would be the Yam

The same two bikes parked outside and i had to pick one to take down a few b roads to a country pub it would be the Harley

If you just want one bike to do it all have a look for a older Yam 900 diversion the one with the upright engine, the later one's a bit buzzy, but the older one makes a bloody good touring bike low maintanence, good on fuel, comfortable, quick enough, and more than capable two up if you can find one with hard luggage fitted all the better

Decide what you want the bike for then ask for recomendations
Old 29-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Banned

Every year or so this question comes up ...... Triumph/Hardly or Vmax or Hardly or as it is now XJR or Hardly. The answers are normally the same, but main advice is Reliability comes from Japan/Hinkley. And then the original poster ignores the advice and buys a sportster ... and regrets it shortly afterwards. Still it normally liven's up the fourm for a couple fo days.

Last edited by shaggy696969; 29-10-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 29-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Lucky Wombling Bastard except when he's not Wombling, when he's just a Lucky Bastard

Send a message via AIM to devon-tony

surely the actual physical condition of the engine is the key thing

I still laugh at the mileage issues with bikes

people umm and arrr at a 10 year old bike with 20k miles, yet wouldnt think twice about a 10 year old car with 100k miles
Old 29-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Need to Get out More!

Its all down to how its been looked after really..regular oil changes etc..my last transit van had 250,000 miles on it with the original unmolested engine... my buddy has it now and still runs it the lenght n breadth of Blighty.. OH ! and the Harley Issue about mileage etc.. lets not forget that there tractors eh.. live forever..found in fields in all weathers..and plenty of old ones about
Old 29-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Jedi Chat Master

Another good option for everyday use the K series BMW's i prefer the 750's but nothing wrong with the rest these will do over 200,000 miles with oil and filter changes and very little else.
By fuck is the K 1100 quick, handle's well, will do two up work on the autoban in germany with no fuss 800 mile days no problem but it looks like shit to me i just couldn't have one

You buy a Harley with your heart
you buy jap or german with your head
On paper a sportster looks like the ideal dispatch bike belt drive, slim, torque'y, but very few are used ask your self why is the Doville a better dispatch bike?

No the Harley is like that supermodel lovely to look at but will cost a fucking fortune to keep happy and looking good and the chances are it will be a crap ride
Old 29-10-2012, 12:25 PM
Chat Slapper

BMW are possibly the most unreliable motorcycles ever produced. My advice to anyone is never ever buy or own one which does not have warranty on it. The componants are generally car grade so not weather proof at all and the gearboxes fail all too often.

They are also the worst bikes ever built for in depth maintenance what should be a simple job often requires the complete disassembly

Shame as they are superb bikes to ride
Old 29-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Banned

I dissagree. The K75 I had done exactly everything expected of it, and after will-full neglect always started. My dad has restored a pair of old Boxers and loves em. If they were so unreliable, why did the Police/Ambulance/Blood runner services use them for so long? Sounds like you had a wrong'un it can happen with any make, Like most people's experiences with Hardly's although the Evo/Twin cams seem to be more reliable, They still out-weigh average see going ships with similar steering and braking capabilities.

Last edited by shaggy696969; 29-10-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: cant spell for shit
Old 29-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Chat Slapper

Police, Ambulance, Blood Runners don't have them outside warranty

Older BMWs are OK it is the more modern ones that have issues and no this isn't based on my owning "a bad un" but knowing the situation of several owners who I am oft asked to repair their machines
Old 29-10-2012, 01:23 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
BMW are possibly the most unreliable motorcycles ever produced. My advice to anyone is never ever buy or own one which does not have warranty on it. The componants are generally car grade so not weather proof at all and the gearboxes fail all too often.

They are also the worst bikes ever built for in depth maintenance what should be a simple job often requires the complete disassembly

The biggest design fault on the K series is the centre stand's attatched to the gearbox making clutch and gearbox work a pain, other than that they are about the best bikes they ever made they had the hall sensor fault that plaged the boxers as well it's not the sensors that fuck up it's the wireing that melts causing them to lose ignition and fuel injection fucking expensive to fix if you go to BMW but not so bad if you go elsewhere.
Would i buy a new BMW not on your life but as a workhorse used bike they take some beating i know of a couple of R1200S's with over 70,000 that look like new bikes
The gearbox on mine R1100S was fucking horible at first but i have learnt how to use it and it's OK no more

The most unreliable bike i have ever had in over 40 years of riding was the only bike i ever purchased new fucking Triumph speed four fucking electrics on it were shit from day one if it got me somewhere i would always worry if it would get me home again

The most reliable was probably my old FJ1100 with about 90,000 on it when i sold it the only thing i didn't like about it was the weight and it not having shaft drive
Old 29-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Police, Ambulance, Blood Runners don't have them outside warranty
And they don't run Hardly's. Not even the new ones ... I wonder why

See what I mean about this thread, Oppinions are like assholes everyone has one. One of the more recent bikes I own and think is great is my 98 Daytona engined Speed Triple 955i But I have heard others having issues. It comes down to a lot of luck. But starting off with a potentially good bike in the first place helps.
Old 29-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Chatter Box

Location: Berkshire boy at heart, now living in sunny Northants

Quote:

I def agree! I had an R80 that had been triked and after the 3rd set of carbs and 4th Alternator I lost my rag and sold it and then last year I got a k100 that was mechanically perfect as a winter work horse and the fucker would not start when the temperature went below zero...... Never again!

Making bad taste look good!
Old 29-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiskers View Post
No the Harley is like that supermodel lovely to look at but will cost a fucking fortune to keep happy and looking good and the chances are it will be a crap ride
you are wrong by a mile, my harley has never broke down, handles really well
why do you need to throw a fucking fortune at it??? if i wanted to change it from a 1450cc to a 1640cc i could do it for 500 or cheeper with the parts from ebay, i bought most of my parts from ebay, all cheep
tank 77, new cam cover 11.50, primary cover 48
i paid 20 for wideglide yokes off a rally trader
i spent more money on my bandit chop that the harley
the harley is a mile eater, very comfy to ride, the last few years the lads have all been to rallies in greece, germany, holland, ireland, finland and norway, only one puncture in all of it
i owned a sportster, it was just too small for me
i had a XJR1300 for 7 years, compared with the chop and the harley it was boring to ride, rode itself
so put that in yer pipe and smoke it
Old 29-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy696969 View Post
And they don't run Hardly's. Not even the new ones ... I wonder why

See what I mean about this thread, Oppinions are like assholes everyone has one. One of the more recent bikes I own and think is great is my 98 Daytona engined Speed Triple 955i But I have heard others having issues. It comes down to a lot of luck. But starting off with a potentially good bike in the first place helps.
my mates is in the dearlers being repaired,again, its spent 3 years having the engine rebuilt several times and its still fucked, he has asked for a new engine/bike, but they won`t do it
Old 29-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Jedi Chat Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJphil View Post
you are wrong by a mile, my harley has never broke down, handles really well
why do you need to throw a fucking fortune at it??? if i wanted to change it from a 1450cc to a 1640cc i could do it for 500 or cheeper with the parts from ebay, i bought most of my parts from ebay, all cheep
tank 77, new cam cover 11.50, primary cover 48
i paid 20 for wideglide yokes off a rally trader
i spent more money on my bandit chop that the harley
the harley is a mile eater, very comfy to ride, the last few years the lads have all been to rallies in greece, germany, holland, ireland, finland and norway, only one puncture in all of it
i owned a sportster, it was just too small for me
i had a XJR1300 for 7 years, compared with the chop and the harley it was boring to ride, rode itself
so put that in yer pipe and smoke it
Your lucky i was looking at a V,Rod earlier in the year 09 plate, the paint was peeling chrome was peeling to be honest it looked like the sprayshop had oil in the air when it had been sprayed

If your happy with yours good luck to you but they aint for me

A mate of mine has spent 4000 on his 1200 sportster in the last 12 months in the same 12 months i have spent 2000 on my old Bm neither have been cheap to run and neither has seen a dealer in june we went up to the lake district he took a Yam divirsion i took my Bm you guessed it he came home on the bike i came home with the AA wonder if we would both have come home with the AA if he had taken the Harley we will never know he wont take it more than a few miles from home

Where has the original poster gone what does he want the bike for?
Old 29-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Banned

Long winded but interesting reading, both pro and con to the Hardly debate...... http://slaughters.com/archives/000121.html

And Phil like I said I've heard good and bad but my Strumpet (many have ridden her hard but she is still a great ride) has been great laugh for the cost. 1200 5 years ago, only spent on clutch tyres & Brake pads. Ex stunter and cat C in it's previous lives, But it does me.

Old 29-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Chatter Box

Default that all?

as a member of the xjr oc, i can tell you we have bikes of over 100k on the clock. solid motors they are. cant comment on harleys but i also have a 750/4 chop and a zephyr and yes the chop isnt boring but if im going abroad its the xjr all the time. if your thinking that 19k is high then you must have money to burn to replace it.!
get a bike you like , look after it, and it will look after you. by the way, a xjr ratbike on ebay, that definately aint boring........
Old 29-10-2012, 07:51 PM

Bmw's do cost more to run than a jap in line 4 in my expirience, they dislike neglect more and cost more pennies to fix. As has been said, what do you want the bike to do? Commute in all weathers, with minimal maintenence and bags of neglect and abuse, then buy a Honda, or other Japanese mile muncher, even my 300 rusty old rebel has managed 3 years of that and it was pretty shagged when I got it. My bmw's needed more fixing than the Honda has had in 3 years every year I ran them and drank more fuel but were sufficiently better for me to use them about twice as often. The best was the 500/4 with sidecar, so reliable it went everywhere hence the milage, such good fun everyone who knew of it liked it, even non bikers. As for Harleys they strike me as prettyer bmw's but reputedly with a bit less handling. Great charachter if you like it and 50% of owners say reliable 50% of owners say not. Doesn't seem to link to milage either, just some good uns some lemmons.
Old 29-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickthecrane View Post
as a member of the xjr oc, i can tell you we have bikes of over 100k on the clock. solid motors they are. cant comment on harleys but i also have a 750/4 chop and a zephyr and yes the chop isnt boring but if im going abroad its the xjr all the time. if your thinking that 19k is high then you must have money to burn to replace it.!
get a bike you like , look after it, and it will look after you. by the way, a xjr ratbike on ebay, that definately aint boring........
damn fine engine the XJR, mine is (well my mates for the last 3 years) still in perfect condition, it still has the orignal battery on, no shit!
i had a remus grand prix 4 into 1 on mine, but it didn`t like it for work runs, so put the standard system back on, and sold the remus on the xjr owners site
does yours drink petrol? mine did, hardly rode it the last year, must have only put 2,000 on it, so with the harley in the garage i sold the 13
i had a GPZ1000RX that had 50,000 on it, took the top end off as i thought it would need a rebiuld at that milage, changed the cam chain, the inside of the motor was like a shiny new pin, never missed a beat, till the double decker bus parked on top of it
Old 29-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Chat Slapper

If you want better fuel economy on an XJR (any chain bike really) change the front sprocket for one extra tooth, it will make the world of difference