100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Old 23-06-2015, 04:43 PM
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....

Send a message via MSN to BikerGran
Default Absent from Facebook

For those who've wanted to know if I'm ok......

I'm not there due to their bloody silly ID thing - they want people, so they say, to use the name on Facebook that they use in daily life.

Well I'm called Bobbi - have been since I was a baby! NO-ONE, EVER calls me by my given name - but of course it's on all official stuff that FB want as ID. I don't suppose theuy like 'BikerGran' as a middle name either - which is what I'm called by all those who don't call me Bobbi. Well, that or BG.

No idea how long it's going to take them to sort it out, but for my FB friends - that's why I'm not there! I'm fine but bloody fed up!
Old 23-06-2015, 08:26 PM
Jedi Chat Master

They're nailing their own coffin down over at Facebook. There's summat fishy going on, no company would actively discourage people from using their product unless there was a damned good reason for it. It'll all come out in the wash no doubt.
Old 23-06-2015, 10:14 PM

I was saying to someone the other day that I wondered what we would all do if/when FB collapsed in a heap! Tbh although it's very convenient to have all your online friends in one place, it's much more fun to meet on the old-style forums!
Old 23-06-2015, 10:31 PM

Asked me for copies of my driving licence.
As has been said, getting to big for boots and soon to follow My Space
Old 24-06-2015, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

It's probably government pressure! But like most things it's led by the younger generation, who must have the latest gadgets and use the latest technology. Since FB has become "mainstream" and used by everyone now including whole families on line, (Do these families actually talk to each other???) The younger generation are turn to more "cool" methods of media, that has better "instant" streaming or whatever the latest "online" messaging thing is. So now "Twitter" and "Instagram" seems to be rising in popularity.

No doubt, some bright spark will come up with another form of multimedia networking and call it some catchy buzzword like "Woofagram" or Woofonline" where you "bark" instead of "tweet" or whatever the latest method of communication will be.

FB has been forced to get the ID of everyone, because of the threat of these terrorists groups, and other sick individuals, infiltrating the young and vulnerable that use it and turn thee week individuals to their own cause. Also FB has got a reputation for allowing trolling to go unabated and as a result there have been a number of cases where people have had their lives ruined or even taken their own lives because of it, resulting in FB getting bad press, and being blamed for showing it's not caring or taking responsibility for its actions.

Trolling will always be there, no matter what type of social media will be in fashion. This will be lead by the latest "fad" that the young will find "cool and hip" to use, as they don't like the Mums and Dads following them around to see what they are doing! Fact of life.

I'm rambling again......
Old 24-06-2015, 08:22 AM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Never had nor have I ever felt the need for a FB account. Far too many people lead vicarious lives via this portal, and their online personas become more 'real' than their actual existence, this then leads to all kinds of mental issues.

Plus the fact I really can't be arsed posting banal pictures of my breakfast etc.
Old 24-06-2015, 08:49 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Buster View Post
Never had nor have I ever felt the need for a FB account. Far too many people lead vicarious lives via this portal, and their online personas become more 'real' than their actual existence, this then leads to all kinds of mental issues.

Plus the fact I really can't be arsed posting banal pictures of my breakfast etc.
You mean you dont have any pictures of fluffy kittens to put on?
Old 24-06-2015, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Facebook has always had a 'real name' policy (although now it's called an 'authentic name' policy).

It's nothing to do with security or terrorist activity, This all comes down to hard cash. A couple of years ago, Facebook publicly admitted that it thought around 83 million FB accounts are fake. The share price of Facebook plummeted.

A lot of people I know have been hit by accounts suspended, particularly in the last few weeks. We've found that, often, just adding a middle name (Esmerelda and Tallulah among them!) is enough for Facebook to accept the change.

When I parted company with my former employers, my profile was essential a work tool. However Facebook refused to let me change my name from Blue Backstreetheroes (clearly a real name!) to Blue Miller (obviously false!). It took three weeks, a lot of emails and sending FB a scan of my USA driving licence (three times) before it was changed and I was then informed that I could never change my name again, so if I get the FB name police a-knocking, I shall be very vexed.
Old 24-06-2015, 11:31 AM

I don't really understand why I've been targeted and they haven't explained - I'm just assumiong it's because I use Bobbi as a forename - it's what I'm called, it's what I've been called for 68 years, but it's not on anything official cos I never bothered to do anything about it as in Britain we were always told we had a right to call ourselves anything we wanted to.

I spose they may not like BikerGran but again, it's what I'm called, if you google BikerGran there I am!

It's damned inconvenient when they encourage you to live your life on there and then chuck you off - I can't get in touch with people cos I never bothered to get their mobile numbers etc etc, can';t admonister groups I've started - nightmare!
Old 24-06-2015, 12:33 PM

Although I use my 'real' name on Facebook, I have never been asked to prove who I am. I have a very common name and it could be used by anybody. I think the main reason they want to know who you are is so they can target you with gender/age related advertising and thus make money. With a name like bikergran or sir ewok it does not tell them what they need to know. Also remember GCHQ and the Yanks are monitoring every word posted on Facebook and Twitter.
Old 24-06-2015, 02:52 PM

Quite surprised to find it's still only 36 to register a change of name by deed poll - which FB would apparently accept!
Old 24-06-2015, 04:49 PM
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!

I was Christened Alan Harrison but 98% of the world calls me Harry. On FB I use Alan Harry Harrison. I've never had this questioned.

As an aside. My Dad (Joseph) was known as Harry and so is my son Michael.

As a kid my Dad's friends called me "Harry's Son" But when I am with Mike's friends I get called "Harry's Dad"

Funny world innit.
Old 24-06-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
I was Christened Alan Harrison but 98% of the world calls me Harry. On FB I use Alan Harry Harrison. I've never had this questioned.

Apparently it's ok to use a nickname as a middle name. I suppose I'm just being pigheaded about not wanting to use my given first name, but I hate it! And I don't see why the bloody yanks should force me to use it when I've never had to use it apart from on official documents - even when I got married, both in church and in the Registry office, they used Bobbi in the ceremony although my given name went on the paperwork.

I've told them what my given name is, I've even sent them an invoice addressed to Mrs P C White (Bobbi) - they still want me to use my given name. They've got a copy of my passport with my name and phot on it,.........

I'm not going to rant any more, I've asked them, as a last resort, to use my initials which are P C (ie PC = Police Constable = Bobbi) and I've explained the old british term for a policeman etc etc etc - in the end I suppose I'll give in but I'm having a damn good try to get at least PART of my own way!

And everyone will be glad to know I don't intend to keep on about it any more.
Old 25-06-2015, 01:57 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerGran View Post
Apparently it's ok to use a nickname as a middle name. I suppose I'm just being pigheaded about not wanting to use my given first name, but I hate it! And I don't see why the bloody yanks should force me to use it when I've never had to use it apart from on official documents - even when I got married, both in church and in the Registry office, they used Bobbi in the ceremony although my given name went on the paperwork.

I've told them what my given name is, I've even sent them an invoice addressed to Mrs P C White (Bobbi) - they still want me to use my given name. They've got a copy of my passport with my name and phot on it,.........

I'm not going to rant any more, I've asked them, as a last resort, to use my initials which are P C (ie PC = Police Constable = Bobbi) and I've explained the old british term for a policeman etc etc etc - in the end I suppose I'll give in but I'm having a damn good try to get at least PART of my own way!

And everyone will be glad to know I don't intend to keep on about it any more.
Phew! glad you explained that, I thought 'Bobbi' was short for Robert...then I could have understood why you don't want to use it...lol...
Old 25-06-2015, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:

As a kid my Dad's friends called me "Harry's Son" But when I am with Mike's friends I get called "Harry's Dad"

Funny world innit.
Years ago I had three mates all called Frank. Two of them were brothers. Not one of them had the real name Frank...
Old 25-06-2015, 09:14 PM

I had an uncle I always knew as Uncle Chonk - it surprised me when schoolfriends queried the name, it was just his name! It was only after he died I learned his name was Charles.
Old 26-06-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Buster View Post

Your just feart cos then we would see what greedy guts you really are :-)

Triumph Owners Motorcycle Club Glasgow

http://www.tomccglasgow.co.uk/
Old 26-06-2015, 04:52 PM

Location: Madam trixy`s house of ill-repute somewhere on the outskirts of doncaster

Every where online (inc FB) I use peirreobollox/peirre
I refuse wherever possible to use my real name online
Old 26-06-2015, 08:24 PM
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM

Quote:

Funny world innit.
Whenever we have a family get together it's funny when someone shouts "Hey Grav!" and loads of us reply.
snigger....

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Old 26-06-2015, 09:17 PM

We have a probl;em with real names -

My hubby is Mike
My daughter's hubby is Mike
My daughter's hubby's dad is Mike

They were all putting up a shed in our garden and Rose (my daughter) was in charge of the roof bit, she said

"It wants to go a bit more Mike's way"