100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-10-2018, 05:28 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,788
Default How very British?

My little lady bought some gammon steaks in the shopping because she knows I like them. We often joke about traditional British meals and especially pub food where of course gammon is always served in the traditional way.
So I jokingly asked her if she had bought a tin of pineapple rings for the gammon to which she replied no because the gammon steaks came with a ring of pineapple in each pack.
Where else in the world would you have gammon served like that? Not many places I bet.
I haven't seen chicken and chips in a basket for years either!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-10-2018, 05:41 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
My little lady bought some gammon steaks in the shopping because she knows I like them. We often joke about traditional British meals and especially pub food where of course gammon is always served in the traditional way.
So I jokingly asked her if she had bought a tin of pineapple rings for the gammon to which she replied no because the gammon steaks came with a ring of pineapple in each pack.
Where else in the world would you have gammon served like that? Not many places I bet.
I haven't seen chicken and chips in a basket for years either!
or scampi in a basket either.....

Like everything, food has fashions and they come and go.....
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-10-2018, 06:07 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
or scampi in a basket either.....

Like everything, food has fashions and they come and go.....
Yeah scampy and chips in a basket is another.
They had to stop serving it in a real basket because of hygiene problems with the baskets.
So some bright spark came up with the idea of making a plastic "dish" that looked like a basket. But they didn't look like a basket at all!

But gammon egg and chips is still on the menu in most places.
However it must be served with a ring of pineapple as an alternative to a fried egg and it must be served with peas. That way its proper

Last edited by HOS; 05-10-2018 at 03:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-10-2018, 06:13 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,788
Default

Another great British dish that has stood the test of time and the EU is the prawn cocktail.
When you think of it served in a wine glass at your local Berni inn in the 70s we thought how
continental was that? If it was a posh prawn cocktail it had a whole prawn draped over the lip of the wine glass.

But the legendary dish is still alive today
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-10-2018, 06:20 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,788
Default

We tried a chippie nearby at the weekend which we haven't used before now.
The menu had a vast array of kebabs and kebab meat combinations. It had pizzas and burgers to special order. But the one item caught my eye was spam fritters!!
To think that after all this time and the huge choice of food from every corner of the world sold on the high Street, that this Asian owned chippie would still sell the spam fritter.
I welled up I can tell you.
Kids today wouldn't know what a spam fritter is!

Last edited by HOS; 05-10-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-10-2018, 04:38 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 12,689
Default

Of course the basket, being a hygiene issue, has been replaced....by the plank of wood. And depsite what people say a plank of wood is NOT more hygienic to use than a plate! It has crevasses that collect bacteria that only putting in dishwasher on full heat for a full cucle will possibly kill them! Which I doubt ever occurs in foodie restaurant! They'd be lucky to get a two minute dunking in some godforsaken murky washing up water at the height of serving time!
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-10-2018, 11:31 AM
SS2's Avatar
SS2 SS2 is offline
Type like a Twat Me...
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Woolyback, Bernicia
Posts: 794
Default

Or a slate. Medallion (read teeny piece) of meat plus a few scattered non rolling veggies and a drizzle of olive oil.... Twenty quid sah! Like feck I will, Giz a bit gammon wi pineapple and egg anytime, or a spam fritter for that matter
__________________
Buy Blitish!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-10-2018, 02:59 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2 View Post
Or a slate. Medallion (read teeny piece) of meat plus a few scattered non rolling veggies and a drizzle of olive oil.... Twenty quid sah! Like feck I will, Giz a bit gammon wi pineapple and egg anytime, or a spam fritter for that matter

Eggfukkinzactly!!!! This is why the kids today are so feak and weeble.
We had proper nosh and that's why we grew up to be such big strong blokes.
Most of us would make good pike men in the civil war reinactments.
We had 3 cooked meals a day when we were at school. Cooked brecky, cooked school dinners and cooked meal at night.

Last edited by HOS; 05-10-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-10-2018, 03:03 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
Of course the basket, being a hygiene issue, has been replaced....by the plank of wood. And depsite what people say a plank of wood is NOT more hygienic to use than a plate! It has crevasses that collect bacteria that only putting in dishwasher on full heat for a full cucle will possibly kill them! Which I doubt ever occurs in foodie restaurant! They'd be lucky to get a two minute dunking in some godforsaken murky washing up water at the height of serving time!
You can't pour gravy on a plank a wood can ya?
I had a main course served on 3 bits of wood in Cornwall what looked like driftwood off the beach! I wouldn't lick that clean
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-10-2018, 03:07 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,788
Default

I blame Keith bloody Floyd!!!
Its all gone downhill from there.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-10-2018, 05:01 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
Of course the basket, being a hygiene issue, has been replaced....by the plank of wood. And depsite what people say a plank of wood is NOT more hygienic to use than a plate! It has crevasses that collect bacteria that only putting in dishwasher on full heat for a full cucle will possibly kill them! Which I doubt ever occurs in foodie restaurant! They'd be lucky to get a two minute dunking in some godforsaken murky washing up water at the height of serving time!
Wood is hygenic because certain woods have anti-bacterial qualities, that's why traditional butchers used a wooden block to chop meat on. You couldn't get deeper crevasses than on a block after the cleaver had finished with it.
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-10-2018, 05:04 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,856
Default

our chippie has always done Spam fitters but not many seem to do FRESH cod roe, only the round tinned stuff.....

A little while ago I bought a pack of Spam fritters that you cook in the oven from Morrisons, not as good as the chippie but better than nothing if yours don't do them......
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-10-2018, 04:28 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 12,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
Wood is hygenic because certain woods have anti-bacterial qualities, that's why traditional butchers used a wooden block to chop meat on. You couldn't get deeper crevasses than on a block after the cleaver had finished with it.

Yes, but the yonly had meat chopped on them and were scrubbed down, regularly and then again at night! The planks in the la de da places to eat would be lucky if they got a splosh in a sink of fetid water before being re used and serve up to a punter! Be truthful would you eat of a plank of wood served up to you? I have always refused one served up to me and demanded the food to be cook afresh again!
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-10-2018, 05:10 AM
Strider Strider is offline
Been out, but rather stay in!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Whitefield, Manchester
Posts: 1,310
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
our chippie has always done Spam fitters but not many seem to do FRESH cod roe, only the round tinned stuff.....

A little while ago I bought a pack of Spam fritters that you cook in the oven from Morrisons, not as good as the chippie but better than nothing if yours don't do them......
Cod roe ............. URRRGH!!!!
__________________
When shit hits the fan, I've learnt it will not be evenly distributed !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-10-2018, 03:50 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,788
Default

There were quite a few variations of fritter.
We used to get potato fritters. If you didn't fancy chips you could have sliced fried potato in batter
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-10-2018, 03:51 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Cod roe ............. URRRGH!!!!
Yeah I agree with that......bllluuuuaaarrrrggbgghhhhh
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-10-2018, 03:53 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,788
Default

I know a few places that do battered Mars bar and one place did creme eggs in batter last year. The battered mars bar is interesting, its not bad tbh.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-10-2018, 05:09 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
I know a few places that do battered Mars bar and one place did creme eggs in batter last year. The battered mars bar is interesting, its not bad tbh.
I know of a place in Gourock that did a deep fried Chinaman, the guy had a fight with the counter staff and stuffed the guys face in the fryer.... Crispy
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-10-2018, 06:29 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
I know of a place in Gourock that did a deep fried Chinaman, the guy had a fight with the counter staff and stuffed the guys face in the fryer.... Crispy
You wan chips with that?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-10-2018, 09:37 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 12,689
Default

An' prenty Saw n' finger...
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-10-2018, 11:18 AM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
An' prenty Saw n' finger...
Wha hyoo wan??
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-10-2018, 11:19 AM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,788
Default

To tell you the truth, the east Europeans are the new chip shop and corner shop owners.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-10-2018, 05:00 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,856
Default

Used to be the Greeks who had the best chippies, when the Chinese took over they used the wrong oil which gave the chips an odd taste. Now they use the same oil as everybody else, but we all know the best chips are cooked in lard......
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-10-2018, 08:08 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,788
Default

It took us a long time to find a decent Chinese take away that is consistent in service, quality and taste. Its a very traditional take away and they don't deliver. They don't need to, people are happy to go and pick up.
The food smells and tastes fresh and that's quite rare nowadays.

Trouble is that the vast majority of these same take aways who all claim to be the best in town, serve up crap food in the form of: fish and chips, pizza, burgers, kebabs, kebab meat, halal, bottles of Coke etc etc.
But the truth is their food is crap unless your drunk when you don't care as long as its quick.
Genuine Greek kebab shops are few and far between, there was a good un in Leam but it closed down years ago. Home made sauces, fresh chicken and lamb meat kebabs as well if you wanted, cooked on a bbq infront of you. Plenty of chilli sauce and a handfull of pickled chillies ontop and jobs a good un !
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-10-2018, 05:42 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 12,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
Used to be the Greeks who had the best chippies, when the Chinese took over they used the wrong oil which gave the chips an odd taste. Now they use the same oil as everybody else, but we all know the best chips are cooked in lard......

You'll find that at Gt.Yarmouth market, all the chippies use lard there. no go if you are a veggie!...tough shit....
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-10-2018, 12:05 PM
SS2's Avatar
SS2 SS2 is offline
Type like a Twat Me...
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Woolyback, Bernicia
Posts: 794
Default

My local chippy is now run by foreigners. Look like they might be Turks. It's called Gary's now (good Turkish name that). When a local lad ran it, it was called 'Salt & Battery'. I was gutted when the name was changed

Some folk have got no sense of humour. Like the council changing a local street name from Fanny Bush Road to Whittonstall Road. Why would they do that, Shitbags.
__________________
Buy Blitish!!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-10-2018, 12:15 PM
harry's Avatar
harry harry is offline
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Taunton
Posts: 3,549
Default

Yeah that happens far too often.

The "Stone gallows" pub near here was renamed the Hungry Horse. Losing the connection with Judge Jeffries.

And another the "Canard's Grave" was renamed "Canard's Well" but I suppose you could hang a highway man and chuck him down a well.
__________________
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-10-2018, 05:51 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2 View Post
My local chippy is now run by foreigners. Look like they might be Turks. It's called Gary's now (good Turkish name that). When a local lad ran it, it was called 'Salt & Battery'. I was gutted when the name was changed

Some folk have got no sense of humour. Like the council changing a local street name from Fanny Bush Road to Whittonstall Road. Why would they do that, Shitbags.
Street names like that are changed because residents complain though they didn't complain when they bought a cheaper house because of the street name.... Pub names change because the brewers want hip yoong customers (who don't necessarily drink) to come and socialise and eat. 'The Hungry Horse' is a chain of gastro pubs and you are lucky the Carnard's grave kept the word carnard as most people wouldn't know what it meant, probably kept so they could use the highwayman theme......
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-10-2018, 12:00 PM
SS2's Avatar
SS2 SS2 is offline
Type like a Twat Me...
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Woolyback, Bernicia
Posts: 794
Default

There's only two houses on what was Fanny Bush Road, so don't think it would be a residents request. It's sort of an access road between two parts of the village. There was a haulage yard on the site of an old church and a school once over but both are gone now.

Rumour has it that the council changed the name cos folk kept nicking the sign but I'm duboious about that. Can't remember it ever been missing.
__________________
Buy Blitish!!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-10-2018, 04:16 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2 View Post
There's only two houses on what was Fanny Bush Road, so don't think it would be a residents request. It's sort of an access road between two parts of the village. There was a haulage yard on the site of an old church and a school once over but both are gone now.

Rumour has it that the council changed the name cos folk kept nicking the sign but I'm duboious about that. Can't remember it ever been missing.
That is a possibility, I wanted the one from Bell End in Wollaston Nr Wellingborough and there is also one near Birmingham, would go well with the sign for Minge Lane......
Attached Images
 
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.