100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Down The Pub

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 14-04-2018, 09:02 AM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default Paddling in the garage.....

Went in the garage yesterday to get some tools and there was a squelching noise underfoot at the back of the garage.
The carpet is fookin saturated !!
Either the roof has leaked or its ground water.
Mind you we have had some hellish storms overnight recently.

So I'm definitely going to get a dehumidifier.
I'll open it up today to see if if it will dry out a bit.
Fortunately its not near the bike or the electrics.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 14-04-2018, 07:49 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,568
Default

Here's you saying you are on benefits, then admit to having an indoor pool, rich swine......
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 14-04-2018, 08:44 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
Here's you saying you are on benefits, then admit to having an indoor pool, rich swine......


I said I am under the care of the local adult social care services
Atm I can't decide if its the garage roof leaking or ground water from below.
I'm looking at used dehumidifiers on gumtree as I speak.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 14-04-2018, 08:58 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default

I was lying on my left side on a rubber mat on the floor using the Mothers to shine up the polished alloy
engine cases and after a bit my left leg felt very cold and wet.
Well I knew I hadn't pissed meself because it would have felt nice and warm...... nah my left leg was on the splashy carpet
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 15-04-2018, 07:03 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 12,342
Default

I'd check the garage roof for "soft" spots....but don't climb on it like I did and put me foot through...
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 15-04-2018, 07:09 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 12,342
Default

I think it was Piddling in the garage is what you meant....
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 15-04-2018, 11:57 AM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
I said I am under the care of the local adult social care services
Twisted the truth a little (better watch out as the government have the rights to that action) for the sake of the joke......
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 15-04-2018, 04:21 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default

My little lady and I do better than some on low income for the simple reasons that we haven't got a huge TV, we haven't got sky TV, in fact we have no TV. We don't drink, we don't smoke and we don't do drugs apart from shed loads of NHS opium based ones. We buy pre-owned things and I recycle things. I buy pre-owned things that I can see can be turned into something else that we need. When we do need brand new things it gets a bit more tricky.

Excuse my vulgar comparison to the political stereotypes
Because they are only political stereotypes.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 15-04-2018, 04:24 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
I think it was Piddling in the garage is what you meant....
It definitely didn't taste like pi.......
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 16-04-2018, 06:53 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 12,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
It definitely didn't taste like pi.......
! ...lol!...!
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 16-04-2018, 04:59 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,568
Default

Glad you are managing without bennies, being on benefits is like playing Russian roulette at the moment, sanctions, missing payments, cuts and all. I would rather work than claim the dole, though I have had to a few times (having a wife and two kids it was sometimes necessary). Being at the mercy of any government is not a good place to be......
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 16-04-2018, 06:06 PM
whistler's Avatar
whistler whistler is offline
Chatter Box
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fife
Posts: 321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
My little lady and I do better than some on low income for the simple reasons that we haven't got a huge TV, we haven't got sky TV, in fact we have no TV. We don't drink, we don't smoke and we don't do drugs apart from shed loads of NHS opium based ones. We buy pre-owned things and I recycle things. I buy pre-owned things that I can see can be turned into something else that we need. When we do need brand new things it gets a bit more tricky.

Excuse my vulgar comparison to the political stereotypes
Because they are only political stereotypes.
Genuinely, good on you. I've just cancelled Sky cause it's crap, don't smoke or drink either. I'd rather have holidays to harley events and put money into my bike.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 16-04-2018, 06:07 PM
whistler's Avatar
whistler whistler is offline
Chatter Box
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fife
Posts: 321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
Went in the garage yesterday to get some tools and there was a squelching noise underfoot at the back of the garage.
The carpet is fookin saturated !!
Either the roof has leaked or its ground water.
Mind you we have had some hellish storms overnight recently.

So I'm definitely going to get a dehumidifier.
I'll open it up today to see if if it will dry out a bit.
Fortunately its not near the bike or the electrics.
Electrics in the garage, you must be posh
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 17-04-2018, 06:38 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 12,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
Glad you are managing without bennies, being on benefits is like playing Russian roulette at the moment, sanctions, missing payments, cuts and all. I would rather work than claim the dole, though I have had to a few times (having a wife and two kids it was sometimes necessary). Being at the mercy of any government is not a good place to be......
The only time I claimed benefit was when I was made redundant, and was told to "because I was entitled to it" so I claimed and I have never ever felt as much as being made a third class citizen as to when I had to sign on. On onw occassion I had to cancel my sign on day and I phone thorugh to say I needed to canceland told them I wa going for an interview. I was told that would be okay and to tell the clerk that when I go to sign in the following week. The clerk doidn't believe me and cancelled my weeks benefit, even though I showed him the bloody confirmation letter of the interview! Npo wonder why they have security guards present. They are there for the protection of the DSS staff... I nearly lumped the geezer, myself, and I do not do violence, in any shpae or form unless really provoked.
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 17-04-2018, 09:21 AM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler View Post
Genuinely, good on you. I've just cancelled Sky cause it's crap, don't smoke or drink either. I'd rather have holidays to harley events and put money into my bike.
Thanks whistler and tbh we haven't missed the TV at all.
Couple of weeks ago we went to a family do in a hotel in Birmingham and we stayed overnight. When we got back to the room that night we turned the telly on and it was exactly the same shite as 3 years ago. It's full of social engineering and just plain bullshit.
The Samsung smart TV went straight away although I already knew they could watch you and record you even when on standby.

So fuck em, I won't play their games and as you say more money to spend on real things, like the bike and days out. By getting rid of that we have been able to do motogp at Silverstone the last 2 years and that ain't cheap.

As for the pedo bbc? No thanks.

I gave up smoking 30 years ago and I gave up the booze 18 years ago. Never looked back either. But I'm no angel though and I will never pretend to be. I certainly don't need a drink to get into any fights or to have fun either.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 17-04-2018, 09:36 AM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
Glad you are managing without bennies, being on benefits is like playing Russian roulette at the moment, sanctions, missing payments, cuts and all. I would rather work than claim the dole, though I have had to a few times (having a wife and two kids it was sometimes necessary). Being at the mercy of any government is not a good place to be......
That's why I'm involved with DPAC because the tories are killing tens of thousands of the sick, disabled and elderly. It's not a solution to anything other than their hatred of anyone not paying money to the government. They just want slaves to the system.
DPAC is the politicsl arm of fighting the hateful politicsl elite.
Even the human rights team from the United Nations who investigated the UK for the treatment of the sick and disabled said the way they are treated is inhumane and against the most basic human rights. The government ignored the UN report.

I get PIPs which anyone with disabilities or mobility problems can apply for but it's not means tested. Mind you the qualified nurse who assessed he was a lying bastard. She made shit up that didn't happen in the assessment. That's why 70% win it on appeal because the assessment system doesn't work. Private company milking public money like they do.

But the truth is that half the working population is on "in work benefits" just so people can afford very basic living costs. The system is broken, its fucked. We all make our own way as best as we can. But the government will kill me and my little lady given the chance. That's if the NHS don't kill us first.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 17-04-2018, 09:46 AM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
The only time I claimed benefit was when I was made redundant, and was told to "because I was entitled to it" so I claimed and I have never ever felt as much as being made a third class citizen as to when I had to sign on. On onw occassion I had to cancel my sign on day and I phone thorugh to say I needed to canceland told them I wa going for an interview. I was told that would be okay and to tell the clerk that when I go to sign in the following week. The clerk doidn't believe me and cancelled my weeks benefit, even though I showed him the bloody confirmation letter of the interview! Npo wonder why they have security guards present. They are there for the protection of the DSS staff... I nearly lumped the geezer, myself, and I do not do violence, in any shpae or form unless really provoked.
After working hard all my life and digging myself out of the big recession shaped hole in the early 1990s, when I had my life changing bike smash in 2001, my family couldn't get any support at all from the government. Zilch!
Where was the help to get back on my feet? Well it was quite the opposite, where all the parasitic scum in the banks and hmrc did their damndest to try and finish me off. Even making shit up to try and screw me. Well I can tell you that not one of them was successful.
I took my time and every single one of them was paid off not on their Lyng scamming terms, but on my terms. Took me a few years but fuck em. Kicking a bloke when he was down?
Nah, they just assume you will take a kicking. Yeah well not everyone will.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 17-04-2018, 09:49 AM
spyderider spyderider is offline
Chat Slapper
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 91
Default

I reckon I'm one of the old farts as well, have a telly but don't know why as I can't stand the majority of shite on there.as for the BBC, load of self righteous prats on there. I do have a mobile phone that is just a phone,makes and receives calls for my benefit only. As for social media, whatever that is, couldn't give a shit about it. Paid my dues all my working life and see it all being wasted by whatever government is in power. Try riding out for a bit of pleasure but can't as the roads are like a bloody bomb site. Never mind keep sending my hard earned all over the place to Johnny Foreigner. Stop moaning my family say, why,? It's the only pleasure I have left.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 17-04-2018, 09:55 AM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler View Post
Electrics in the garage, you must be posh
Got cd/radio, filter coffee machine and lights!!!!
Treated myself to a used black leather settee off eblag.
Its my space
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 17-04-2018, 10:01 AM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderider View Post
I reckon I'm one of the old farts as well, have a telly but don't know why as I can't stand the majority of shite on there.as for the BBC, load of self righteous prats on there. I do have a mobile phone that is just a phone,makes and receives calls for my benefit only. As for social media, whatever that is, couldn't give a shit about it. Paid my dues all my working life and see it all being wasted by whatever government is in power. Try riding out for a bit of pleasure but can't as the roads are like a bloody bomb site. Never mind keep sending my hard earned all over the place to Johnny Foreigner. Stop moaning my family say, why,? It's the only pleasure I have left.
Everyone gets grumpy when they get older. It's a privilege of having made it this far and still reasonably intact. We've seen enough stupid over the years and we aren't so tolerant.
Its not just a male thing though, plenty of grumpy old women too.

Do you find yourself tutting and shaking your head at the hooligan behavior of young scooter riders when you're in the car? We forget
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 17-04-2018, 04:48 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,568
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
Everyone gets grumpy when they get older. It's a privilege of having made it this far and still reasonably intact. We've seen enough stupid over the years and we aren't so tolerant.
Its not just a male thing though, plenty of grumpy old women too.

Do you find yourself tutting and shaking your head at the hooligan behavior of young scooter riders when you're in the car? We forget
We don't forget as such but remember the mates that got lost and hope some other parent doesn't have to grieve, or push their kid around in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives. It was fun when we did it, riding, fighting, getting pissed and experimenting with pharmaceuticals etc. (didn't do all them myself but we all did some of them) and the kids are having as much fun but don't realise it has a terrible price.

As for the DSS/Social, they are a bunch of scumbags....

I fell and broke my arm at work resulting in a steel plate being fitted and six months off work. I had my own business but was a Director of a limited company and as such was my own employee. The company paid a full stamp on my earnings which meant both the employers and employees contribution was paid, as required by law. I had been claiming sickness and social top up as I had not long bought my house and had two kids and a wife to feed. After about a month I was rung by the Unemployment Office (who also handled sickness back then) and was told I had to see the Fraud Officer. On arrival I was told that I was fraudulently claiming as I was self-employed. I quoted the particular act and why I had claimed and he looked it up in his massive unemployment law library (which covered half the wall in many volumes, which is why most of the erks have no clue) and he said I was right. He then rang the Social and told them they were a bunch of idiots (actual words) for wasting his and my time and that they should pay me. I then went to the social were a snotty little twat whined that I was getting more in benefits than he earned, so I politely informed him that when I was working I paid more tax and council tax a month than he earned and that I was ENTITLED to get some of my money back. payments were reinstated fr two weeks, then stopped again and when I got down there I was told once again that I was self-employed and I should pay back what I had stolen. As I left, I was swearing and ranting and the receptionist threatened to call the police. I apologised to her and explained the situation and she gave me better advice than the wankers inside ie. Appeal the decision, which, not being an illegal I didn't know about and they didn't tell you. They scheduled the appeal and had TWO BARRISTERS (unfortunately not 2 Barristas) against me. At the last moment they cancelled the appeal, paid the back money and left me alone. Fast forward two years and the business was collapsing due to guys signing on and working cheaper than I could. I went to sign on and I got, you guessed it, Your self-employed. I exploded and demanded to see the supervisor, who stayed hidden in their office and sent a snivelling little toad out to see me off. I told him that I had won the previous appeal and they should back off, but was in turn told they hadn't lost justr decided not to go ahead with it. I told him that I would close my company, do a couple of weeks on an agency and then come back as an employee, which I did, cost them a couple of bob but that's why I hate being on benefits (which they now claim my pension is evn though I paid for it all my working life).
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 17-04-2018, 07:11 PM
whistler's Avatar
whistler whistler is offline
Chatter Box
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fife
Posts: 321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
Thanks whistler and tbh we haven't missed the TV at all.
Couple of weeks ago we went to a family do in a hotel in Birmingham and we stayed overnight. When we got back to the room that night we turned the telly on and it was exactly the same shite as 3 years ago. It's full of social engineering and just plain bullshit.
The Samsung smart TV went straight away although I already knew they could watch you and record you even when on standby.

So fuck em, I won't play their games and as you say more money to spend on real things, like the bike and days out. By getting rid of that we have been able to do motogp at Silverstone the last 2 years and that ain't cheap.

As for the pedo bbc? No thanks.

I gave up smoking 30 years ago and I gave up the booze 18 years ago. Never looked back either. But I'm no angel though and I will never pretend to be. I certainly don't need a drink to get into any fights or to have fun either.
Sounds like kindred spirit. Today's tv is shite. I do like a good movie though. Never got the taste for booze and cigs, but loved a good biker pub atmosphere. These days working in social care, I need to behave lol.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 17-04-2018, 08:00 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistler View Post
Sounds like kindred spirit. Today's tv is shite. I do like a good movie though. Never got the taste for booze and cigs, but loved a good biker pub atmosphere. These days working in social care, I need to behave lol.

I have always cut my own path through life generally. Within some limitations, I believe you make your own life. Its when other people get involved that things go shit shaped. I know the system for what it is, it rewards people who slavishly follow it and never ever question. But we all have to work within the system to some extent just to earn and live, even though our minds and ideas are well outside of it and we hate it.

I used to live three miles from the Waterman at Hatton outside Warwick and my local was a bikers pub for many years. The Waterman was one of the most famous and longstanding biker pubs in England. I drank in biker pubs in Leamington and Stratford on Avon in the late 70s to late 80s. All great pubs.
I drank in "Boon's" pub a few times but never saw him in there.
I have always loved fucking around on bikes with my mates.

Social Care?? Whoops, I may have opened my gob about the care system on here. But I speak as I find things.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 17-04-2018, 08:15 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
We don't forget as such but remember the mates that got lost and hope some other parent doesn't have to grieve, or push their kid around in a wheelchair for the rest of their lives. It was fun when we did it, riding, fighting, getting pissed and experimenting with pharmaceuticals etc. (didn't do all them myself but we all did some of them) and the kids are having as much fun but don't realise it has a terrible price.

As for the DSS/Social, they are a bunch of scumbags....

I fell and broke my arm at work resulting in a steel plate being fitted and six months off work. I had my own business but was a Director of a limited company and as such was my own employee. The company paid a full stamp on my earnings which meant both the employers and employees contribution was paid, as required by law. I had been claiming sickness and social top up as I had not long bought my house and had two kids and a wife to feed. After about a month I was rung by the Unemployment Office (who also handled sickness back then) and was told I had to see the Fraud Officer. On arrival I was told that I was fraudulently claiming as I was self-employed. I quoted the particular act and why I had claimed and he looked it up in his massive unemployment law library (which covered half the wall in many volumes, which is why most of the erks have no clue) and he said I was right. He then rang the Social and told them they were a bunch of idiots (actual words) for wasting his and my time and that they should pay me. I then went to the social were a snotty little twat whined that I was getting more in benefits than he earned, so I politely informed him that when I was working I paid more tax and council tax a month than he earned and that I was ENTITLED to get some of my money back. payments were reinstated fr two weeks, then stopped again and when I got down there I was told once again that I was self-employed and I should pay back what I had stolen. As I left, I was swearing and ranting and the receptionist threatened to call the police. I apologised to her and explained the situation and she gave me better advice than the wankers inside ie. Appeal the decision, which, not being an illegal I didn't know about and they didn't tell you. They scheduled the appeal and had TWO BARRISTERS (unfortunately not 2 Barristas) against me. At the last moment they cancelled the appeal, paid the back money and left me alone. Fast forward two years and the business was collapsing due to guys signing on and working cheaper than I could. I went to sign on and I got, you guessed it, Your self-employed. I exploded and demanded to see the supervisor, who stayed hidden in their office and sent a snivelling little toad out to see me off. I told him that I had won the previous appeal and they should back off, but was in turn told they hadn't lost justr decided not to go ahead with it. I told him that I would close my company, do a couple of weeks on an agency and then come back as an employee, which I did, cost them a couple of bob but that's why I hate being on benefits (which they now claim my pension is evn though I paid for it all my working life).

I had enough of the dole office in the early 90s recession. The construction industry is always the first one into recession and always the last one out.
I bounced around doing temporary work for 1 day or up to 2 weeks work. I did anything even the jobs that no one would take just to keep my family together. About every 6 weeks we faced going bust again but by luck another few days agency work would came up, picking and packing in a warehouse or factory work or sick leave cover... The jobs papers had no jobs and the dole office had only 3 jobs on the "new jobs in today" board, of which two were the same jobs from the previous two weeks and had already gone probably. It were a bit grim.
I think that the DWP jobs attract a certain kind of person in the same way as jobs with children attract a certain kind of person.
With any job you don't know what you can do until you try.
I would have ago at anything, I didn't look down my nose at any job, it was work, a means to an end. I took jobs no one else would take, the hard jobs. Even the high earning jobs I had which never last were the same, they just paid for the lifestyle and 1 or 2 nice toys in the garage with some petrol in the tank. End of.
I've worked with employed corporate androids, aka higher paid slaves.
Money means fuck all, its all about what you can do.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 18-04-2018, 05:43 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,568
Default

I know what you mean, I did a contract at EMI in North London and when the contract came to an end I was asked if I would come back in two weeks time for another contract job. I'm sure those who have been in this situation would understand that it is not possible to make a promise in case something else comes up (which may or may not be better but pays right now) which is what I told the guy. To keep me on the job, I ended up chiselling holes into the Ladies toilets (not like that guys) and then clearing up afterwards ready for some ventilation and pipework on the next job. The toilets were in use , except when I was actually chopping the holes, so it was quite interesting to say the least.

At one point the contracting dried up for too long and I had to get money in and quick. I was doing 40 hours a week picking and packing in a Sirdar wool warehouse, 40 hour nightshift shelf stacking in Tesco and 22 hours security guard/cleaning job at Diversy. It was a killer but it paid the bills helped clear debts and tide us over till more work turned up......

When I worked for KAB, somebody took the piss because every time they mentioned something I would say I worked there, but truth be told it would take a while to name every company I had worked in......
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 18-04-2018, 09:55 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ewok View Post
I know what you mean, I did a contract at EMI in North London and when the contract came to an end I was asked if I would come back in two weeks time for another contract job. I'm sure those who have been in this situation would understand that it is not possible to make a promise in case something else comes up (which may or may not be better but pays right now) which is what I told the guy. To keep me on the job, I ended up chiselling holes into the Ladies toilets (not like that guys) and then clearing up afterwards ready for some ventilation and pipework on the next job. The toilets were in use , except when I was actually chopping the holes, so it was quite interesting to say the least.

At one point the contracting dried up for too long and I had to get money in and quick. I was doing 40 hours a week picking and packing in a Sirdar wool warehouse, 40 hour nightshift shelf stacking in Tesco and 22 hours security guard/cleaning job at Diversy. It was a killer but it paid the bills helped clear debts and tide us over till more work turned up......

When I worked for KAB, somebody took the piss because every time they mentioned something I would say I worked there, but truth be told it would take a while to name every company I had worked in......

Same here Ive worked for loads of companies over the years ! Especially when I was freelancing, I've always had a low threshold for boredom. I liked freelancing because if they messed me about I'd give them a weeks notice and leave. I couldn't be arsed with the 9 to 5 employed PAYE bollocks.
I've been lucky over the years and been privileged to be involved with some quite incredible construction jobs although I was never on the OSA. I was never in that deep and would not be either. Civilian contractors on secret government jobs have a habit of dying early. I would never cross to that side of the fence, because they own you and you can never come back to this side of the fence. I just wanted to earn a few quid and enjoy biking.
I did apply for one of the 3 on site Project Managers for the new GCHQ at Cheltenham, but they all fell about laughing when I sent in my application.
I was qualified and experienced enough but I was winging it and I knew it, considering where my politics stands.
A straight no on that one !
Nothing ventured etc?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 19-04-2018, 06:48 AM
Friar Tuck's Avatar
Friar Tuck Friar Tuck is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Brothertoft, Lincolngrad!
Posts: 12,342
Default

I think we've all done our fir share of shite jobs to get ourselves out of the mire. When I gave up the courier business I was technically bankrupt (no thanks to Crisis Couriers of Kettering!) without actually being bankrupted by the courts! So I ended up taking up any jobs, temp or not to get the cash coming in. Amongst the shite jobs, I can count one night shift at a plastics extrusion factory in kettering loading bacon boxes and lids onto pallets all night. Worrking as a weigh bridge clerk at Chettells in Rushden I think (Sir Ewok should know of them), A night time "Customer Care Attendant" (petrol pump attendant to the rest of us) at four ways BP petrol Station in Corby. I had one pillock throw up down the pay tray. I made him take his fags and change out of the puke before I cleared it out! So I had about four drive offs whilst I was clearing up the crap! A vehicle De-identifier for Universal Salvage. A Temp progrss chaser then buyer for Haverhill Generators in Kettering. And they are the ones I can remember, oh Yeah, and a memorable week unloading bottles of pop onto pallets, at a bottling plant in corby! The best thing there was watching the plastic bottle of lemonade, Cherryade, cola, etc explode when they got trapped in the sorting chute and some poor bugger had to keep the chute clear and got covered in the sticky, shitty stuff. He had to get changed every lunch time as he was soaked in the crud!
__________________
Does my belly look big in this?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 19-04-2018, 03:00 PM
HOS HOS is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: England
Posts: 1,506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friar Tuck View Post
I think we've all done our fir share of shite jobs to get ourselves out of the mire. When I gave up the courier business I was technically bankrupt (no thanks to Crisis Couriers of Kettering!) without actually being bankrupted by the courts! So I ended up taking up any jobs, temp or not to get the cash coming in. Amongst the shite jobs, I can count one night shift at a plastics extrusion factory in kettering loading bacon boxes and lids onto pallets all night. Worrking as a weigh bridge clerk at Chettells in Rushden I think (Sir Ewok should know of them), A night time "Customer Care Attendant" (petrol pump attendant to the rest of us) at four ways BP petrol Station in Corby. I had one pillock throw up down the pay tray. I made him take his fags and change out of the puke before I cleared it out! So I had about four drive offs whilst I was clearing up the crap! A vehicle De-identifier for Universal Salvage. A Temp progrss chaser then buyer for Haverhill Generators in Kettering. And they are the ones I can remember, oh Yeah, and a memorable week unloading bottles of pop onto pallets, at a bottling plant in corby! The best thing there was watching the plastic bottle of lemonade, Cherryade, cola, etc explode when they got trapped in the sorting chute and some poor bugger had to keep the chute clear and got covered in the sticky, shitty stuff. He had to get changed every lunch time as he was soaked in the crud!
I have no shame in saying I've had plenty of shit jobs in the basic wage group of jobs. Some of them you have to sign away your legal rights to get the job and if you don't, then see ya! I've worked in jobs with serious health and safety breaches, but if you want a job and to get paid which is always a bonus then you have to keep your gob shut.
Did taxis driving for 70+ hours a week and only getting paid 60.
No breaks either unless you were desperate for the toilet and even then they weren't happy about taking toilet breaks.
I've worked in intense heat doing heavy physical work on 12 hour shifts per day for a 6 day week with only one 15 minute break every shift.
I was turned down for a part time job at an Argos store because the job centre said although they liked me at interview they only wanted a woman for the job because they were all women.
I've had short contracts where they ask you to work extra time and say you will get paid, then at the end of the contract they deny asking you to work over or saying they would pay you for the extra time.
I've been frisk searched leaving the place of work every day because that was company policy.

But I bloody learned a few things and I bet you did too
Met some great people at the same time.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 19-04-2018, 05:01 PM
Sir Ewok's Avatar
Sir Ewok Sir Ewok is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Wherever I damn well Please
Posts: 8,568
Default

What I really loved was the sense of adventure, new job, new place, new people and sleeping in the van to save cash for the lean times. Having a quick shower in the factory, across to the pub for last orders and then a takeaway. Up again in the morning and getting dressed in the car park, like a boy scout camp on steroids.....
__________________
Been riding for 40 years and my arse is really sore
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 19-04-2018, 05:14 PM
whistler's Avatar
whistler whistler is offline
Chatter Box
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fife
Posts: 321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOS View Post
I have always cut my own path through life generally. Within some limitations, I believe you make your own life. Its when other people get involved that things go shit shaped. I know the system for what it is, it rewards people who slavishly follow it and never ever question. But we all have to work within the system to some extent just to earn and live, even though our minds and ideas are well outside of it and we hate it.

I used to live three miles from the Waterman at Hatton outside Warwick and my local was a bikers pub for many years. The Waterman was one of the most famous and longstanding biker pubs in England. I drank in biker pubs in Leamington and Stratford on Avon in the late 70s to late 80s. All great pubs.
I drank in "Boon's" pub a few times but never saw him in there.
I have always loved fucking around on bikes with my mates.

Social Care?? Whoops, I may have opened my gob about the care system on here. But I speak as I find things.
Hey, I might work in social care, I don't believe the shite they peddle. I just do the best I can with limited ground level resources. i also grew up in the system as a kid/your as well.We had some good pubs in Edinburgh, where I grew up. The blind beggar, the black pig, the southern to name but 3.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.