100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-03-2010, 10:30 AM
maximass maximass is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Default Trike builders, Beds, Herts, Bucks

I asked this question on another site and was near enough flamed for asking it. The answers I got back were basically dont bother, get a car instead and a proper bike.

Trikes are naff, un-cool, riders look like twats, expensive to build/run/service a waste of money.

So thought maybe will get better or more constructive answers here.

I asked does anyone know any builders near Luton, Herts, Beds, Bucks areas so I can look into getting a trike, talk to people about pros & cons maybe try one out etc

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Simon B Simon B is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,185
Default

try these, not on your door step, but good stuff

http://www.nc-engineering.co.uk/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-03-2010, 11:46 AM
maximass maximass is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
try these, not on your door step, but good stuff

http://www.nc-engineering.co.uk/
Thanks for link, will check what they have and where they are
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-03-2010, 12:46 PM
maximass maximass is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Default

Sorry if anyone here gets peeved with me for saying my first post, it wasnt aimed at any particular site as I said I have been asking a lot of places as well as people.

D & G (Denis) I have contacted, Trike SHop I spoke to by email and at Ally Pally show as well.

So sorry guys if I offended anyone
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-03-2010, 01:07 PM
Nik Nik is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Saarfuk
Posts: 6,072
Send a message via MSN to Nik
Default

Mate, there are loads of trike builders around - get yersel' a copy of Trike magazine and have a look through it, for a start.

Do you want a one-off or do you want a conversion or do you want to buy one ready done?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-03-2010, 01:09 PM
maximass maximass is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
Mate, there are loads of trike builders around - get yersel' a copy of Trike magazine and have a look through it, for a start.

Do you want a one-off or do you want a conversion or do you want to buy one ready done?
Yeah planning on getting the magazine when I get to town.

Not sure what I want rigt now, one for me and one for other half as she cant ride a large bike, as time goes on she wont be able to ride any bike probably.

I know TRIKE SHOP do some nice builds new and custom
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Nik Nik is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Saarfuk
Posts: 6,072
Send a message via MSN to Nik
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximass View Post
Not sure what I want rigt now
First thing to decide then, guv.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-03-2010, 01:22 PM
maximass maximass is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
First thing to decide then, guv.
Yep I agree.

Will know once I talk to builders and maybe visit a few more shows to see what is out there shop built or custom built

I know I dont want this type

http://www.trikez.com/xtc.html
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Nik Nik is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Saarfuk
Posts: 6,072
Send a message via MSN to Nik
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximass View Post
I know I dont want this type

http://www.trikez.com/xtc.html
Weird that, eh?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Beano's Avatar
Beano Beano is offline
Qualified Sniggerer (MDLCSS)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blowing stuff up in a field..
Posts: 1,874
Default

Very much depends on budget and style....trawl the internet for pics to get a good idea.
I have popped in to see Dennis a couple of times, at his workshop, to get advice whilst I finish my build.
He will build you what you want and does not do to plan stuff.....if that makes sense..
Get Trike mag and ignore the ignorant twats and trolls that lurk on some sites.....they are of no moment and not worth a second thought.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-03-2010, 01:29 PM
maximass maximass is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post
Weird that, eh?
Yeah its like a squashed out scooter.

Though they are doing them to encourage more people onto them. As you dont need a full licence for them but use a car provisional
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-03-2010, 01:31 PM
harry's Avatar
harry harry is offline
Techno Guru! He's Good! He Knows Everyfink!
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Taunton
Posts: 3,414
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximass View Post
I asked this question on another site and was near enough flamed for asking it. The answers I got back were basically dont bother, get a car instead and a proper bike.

Trikes are naff, un-cool, riders look like twats, expensive to build/run/service a waste of money.

So thought maybe will get better or more constructive answers here.

I asked does anyone know any builders near Luton, Herts, Beds, Bucks areas so I can look into getting a trike, talk to people about pros & cons maybe try one out etc

Thanks in advance
My old trike cost 300 to build I sold it 15 years later for a grand, it did 50 mpg and the insurance cost half that of me car.

When I got caught in a thunder storm while stuck in a traffic jam wearing shorts flip flops and a T shirt I probably did look a twat!
It did two funerals and a wedding as the Bride's limo. Many young ladies seemed to prefer holding on to me than some bloke on a bike. I carried my young family to loads of rallies etc. Now we ride bikes together.
At rallies it was the favourite seat for everyone. It had a cigar lighter and ash tray so helped keep the site tidy.

"Uncool" who gives a stuff, I was 'avin' fun.
__________________
si is does non opportunus vos postulo a maior pango
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-03-2010, 01:40 PM
maximass maximass is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
My old trike cost 300 to build I sold it 15 years later for a grand, it did 50 mpg and the insurance cost half that of me car.

When I got caught in a thunder storm while stuck in a traffic jam wearing shorts flip flops and a T shirt I probably did look a twat!
It did two funerals and a wedding as the Bride's limo. Many young ladies seemed to prefer holding on to me than some bloke on a bike. I carried my young family to loads of rallies etc. Now we ride bikes together.
At rallies it was the favourite seat for everyone. It had a cigar lighter and ash tray so helped keep the site tidy.

"Uncool" who gives a stuff, I was 'avin' fun.
LOL

Sounds good fun for all the family then.

I like the idea of a bike fo reveyday use and some nice rides, but a trike for camping or rallys as you say.

The other half wants a trike as she will never be able to ride a bigger bike than teh scooter she has at the moment.

Sorry but seeing someone in shorts and flip flops I would have just stood there pointing at you and say in "ah ha"
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Grav's Avatar
Grav Grav is offline
Noisy Scouse Gobshite and Owner of the snigger TM
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: in a house and a tent at weekends
Posts: 19,061
Default

Trust me, you don't want to see Harry in his shorts and flip flops......

He's 'orrible.

snigger....

Here's another place where you will get helpful and friendly advice from Trike Riders. The NABD

http://forum.disabledbiker.co.uk/
__________________
Dark Lord Of Custard

Mitch Says " It'll be alright trust me, I'm a yorkshireman..... "
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-03-2010, 03:16 PM
maximass maximass is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav View Post
Trust me, you don't want to see Harry in his shorts and flip flops......

He's 'orrible.

snigger....

Here's another place where you will get helpful and friendly advice from Trike Riders. The NABD

http://forum.disabledbiker.co.uk/
LOL I will take yoru word for it and not ask for pics

Thanks for the link. I went there when my other half wanted to get first onthe road on a scooter, didnt think to try it for trike info doh !!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Beano's Avatar
Beano Beano is offline
Qualified Sniggerer (MDLCSS)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blowing stuff up in a field..
Posts: 1,874
Default

Trike day at the Ace Cafe this sunday.....always good for a laugh and loads of folk to talk to !
(I will be there with a camara stuck to my face)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-03-2010, 04:16 PM
maximass maximass is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
Trike day at the Ace Cafe this sunday.....always good for a laugh and loads of folk to talk to !
(I will be there with a camara stuck to my face)
Thats a good idea. I think I will take a ride there sunday as well
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-03-2010, 06:38 PM
kajir's Avatar
kajir kajir is offline
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: exeter, devon
Posts: 628
Default

i'm with beano
do as you will, it harm no other
kajir
__________________
there is no such thing as history repeating itsself, it's just new idiots making old mistakes!!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-03-2010, 11:40 PM
dracken1's Avatar
dracken1 dracken1 is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: west mid wales
Posts: 4,493
Default

just a bit of info on the jinlun trike mentioned and shown further back in this thread.
we gave that particular trike a good going over at the trade expo. 200cc and not a bad trade price.
then we looked underneath it.
with the suspension jacked right up, and one one on it ground clearance is 3"

theres a x member.

so sleeping bobbies are out as you will get stranded and everyone will laugh at you seesawing.

by the way yoda tried on out for size. he liked it, prior to been told about the ground clearance.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Spoke's Avatar
Spoke Spoke is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 12
Default

I think Bruce at BB Customs has some trikes in stock.

Link:
http://www.bbcustoms.biz/

A Twizzle custom one would be the coolest though


______________________

Last edited by Spoke; 03-03-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-03-2010, 07:34 AM
maximass maximass is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracken1 View Post
just a bit of info on the jinlun trike mentioned and shown further back in this thread.
we gave that particular trike a good going over at the trade expo. 200cc and not a bad trade price.
then we looked underneath it.
with the suspension jacked right up, and one one on it ground clearance is 3"

theres a x member.

so sleeping bobbies are out as you will get stranded and everyone will laugh at you seesawing.

by the way yoda tried on out for size. he liked it, prior to been told about the ground clearance.

Well around my area you cant really avoid the humps, though I would love to see some of the idiots around here stuck like that
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-03-2010, 10:41 PM
northernpesant's Avatar
northernpesant northernpesant is offline
Chatter Box
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bromsgrove
Posts: 269
Default

Trikes are what you want them to be.

Mine is made of a large amount of second hand parts. It also gets changed slightly now and again. Cant resist trying out ideas on it, so it lets me down a little. A bit of road side meddeling and off we go again. I blame it on my dad getting me a mechano set when i was a kid, and the fact i never grew up.

You can get a reliable one, the only thing you need to remember is that if you leave it standing in winter run it up regularly because modern fuel tends to gell in the carbs if you dont.

As far as whats better a car a trike or a bike. It depends how you feel on the
day. either can put a smile on yer face, and they all hit the pocket.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-03-2010, 08:18 PM
maximass maximass is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernpesant View Post
Trikes are what you want them to be.

Mine is made of a large amount of second hand parts. It also gets changed slightly now and again. Cant resist trying out ideas on it, so it lets me down a little. A bit of road side meddeling and off we go again. I blame it on my dad getting me a mechano set when i was a kid, and the fact i never grew up.

You can get a reliable one, the only thing you need to remember is that if you leave it standing in winter run it up regularly because modern fuel tends to gell in the carbs if you dont.

As far as whats better a car a trike or a bike. It depends how you feel on the
day. either can put a smile on yer face, and they all hit the pocket.
Sounds like very good advice.

Probably for my and my partners first one we are thinking of getting a new trike as neither of us are mechanically minded lol
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Beano's Avatar
Beano Beano is offline
Qualified Sniggerer (MDLCSS)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Blowing stuff up in a field..
Posts: 1,874
Default

Learn together Maximass....most fun you can have with your cloths on....
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Blackjack Blackjack is offline
Been out, but rather stay in!
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bristol
Posts: 1,301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximass View Post
Sounds like very good advice.

Probably for my and my partners first one we are thinking of getting a new trike as neither of us are mechanically minded lol
Me, I'd ask Pugwash what he picks up that's less than a year old and broken down.

I suspect the answer would be "motorbikes".

I've seen MOD and AA figures that suggest that the chances of a break down occurring are at their highest in the first six months of a vehicles life, and immediately after a service.

If it's really that important, you might want to look at that a little more closely.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-03-2010, 03:47 PM
maximass maximass is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
Learn together Maximass....most fun you can have with your cloths on....
LOL sounds liek good excuse
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-03-2010, 03:49 PM
maximass maximass is offline
Chat Virgin
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
Me, I'd ask Pugwash what he picks up that's less than a year old and broken down.

I suspect the answer would be "motorbikes".

I've seen MOD and AA figures that suggest that the chances of a break down occurring are at their highest in the first six months of a vehicles life, and immediately after a service.

If it's really that important, you might want to look at that a little more closely.
Was hoping to go to triek day at ACE today but had to do some side work

Will ask cosst etc at next show I go to from people. As do haev various questions to ask people like breakdown recovery, parking, etc
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.