100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23-11-2007, 09:20 AM
Kylie's Avatar
Kylie Kylie is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morley (50 yrs behind the times)
Posts: 7,425
Send a message via MSN to Kylie
Default Cold fingers

OK then - solutions to the cold fingers problem needed! It's 2 degrees in Leeds this morning, which in the grand scheme of things just ain't that cold, so I need to find a solution to the cold fingers before it gets much colder.

I've got winter weight thinsulate lined Buffalo bike gloves, I tried my ski gloves this morning which are about the same at keeping my fingers warm, but they're still freezing.

So whats the solution? Am wary about heated grips as I don't want to murder my battery, but am considering bar muff things.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23-11-2007, 09:48 AM
jabba's Avatar
jabba jabba is offline
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: north wales boyo
Posts: 744
Default

ebay item 200174000303
There a fews pairs on ebay and they work well.

__________________
dont look at it ride the thing
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Kylie's Avatar
Kylie Kylie is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morley (50 yrs behind the times)
Posts: 7,425
Send a message via MSN to Kylie
Default

I'll have a look round, one of thems damaged.

Was kind of trying to find out if they're the best option or what the alternatives are before i jump into buying owt.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23-11-2007, 11:03 AM
madastoast's Avatar
madastoast madastoast is offline
It's about time I shut the fuck up!
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: CLOSED:back in 5 mins
Posts: 1,617
Send a message via MSN to madastoast Send a message via Yahoo to madastoast
Default

You can get some glove inserts that run from batteries . I don't know how good they are but it's worth looking at.

Me I have a pair of them gloves they give away for the diesel in garages they retain the heat and take no space up. Work pretty good too. I crossed the dolomites in a snow storm with just them and my gloves this year so testing went to plan
__________________
I BE ME I BE

Faster than an Iraqi window shopper
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Nik Nik is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Saarfuk
Posts: 6,072
Send a message via MSN to Nik
Default

I use Richa nanoo nanoo gloves (about 25) with silk inners (about a tenner) and they're really good. The nanoo nanoos were something I'd heard about for years, but never tried and I was gobsmacked as to how good they actually were when I tried 'em.

They're weird in that they don't actually feel any warmer/heavier/whatever when you put them on and they aren't particularly waterproof, but it doesn't actually matter - your hands warm up in 'em quickly and even when they're wet they don't seem to get cold. I'd suffered cold hands on a bike for years and, due to a childhood injury to me right little finger, when they get really cold it won't straighten and so is a pain in the arse to get into gloves, but with the nanoo nanoos that doesn't happen ... much.

Combine them with heated grips and your hands'll be toasty. They shouldn't drain your battery (they never have on any of my bikes) and they do make a hell of a difference.

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Kylie's Avatar
Kylie Kylie is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morley (50 yrs behind the times)
Posts: 7,425
Send a message via MSN to Kylie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik
I use Richa nanoo nanoo gloves (about 25) with silk inners (about a tenner) and they're really good. The nanoo nanoos were something I'd heard about for years, but never tried and I was gobsmacked as to how good they actually were when I tried 'em.

They're weird in that they don't actually feel any warmer/heavier/whatever when you put them on and they aren't particularly waterproof, but it doesn't actually matter - your hands warm up in 'em quickly and even when they're wet they don't seem to get cold. I'd suffered cold hands on a bike for years and, due to a childhood injury to me right little finger, when they get really cold it won't straighten and so is a pain in the arse to get into gloves, but with the nanoo nanoos that doesn't happen ... much.

Combine them with heated grips and your hands'll be toasty. They shouldn't drain your battery (they never have on any of my bikes) and they do make a hell of a difference.

Are they the ones where 2 fingers go in the same hole?

Mates got heated grips and its screwed his battery....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23-11-2007, 11:33 AM
John Hopkins's Avatar
John Hopkins John Hopkins is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tredegar, South Wales
Posts: 16,062
Default

Depends on how much space you have on your handlebars but for the cost of almost nothing you can get a large bleach bottle and cut it to shape so that it forms a shield and fit it to the bars with a terry clip...one for each bar...they form a shield from the cold wind and you can still see all your controls....Doesn't work on my bike because I don't have space on the bars...John
__________________
Beauty is skin deep; ugly goes right to the bone
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23-11-2007, 11:38 AM
jabba's Avatar
jabba jabba is offline
Jedi Chat Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: north wales boyo
Posts: 744
Default

Oops never spotted the damage there were a few more pop up in the search though
I ran heated grips on my xrv for 3 years no problems just remember to turn them off prime if you have the option, I tied them into the lighting circuit so they only work when the lights were on ect. Actually burned a hole in my old gloves on prime
__________________
dont look at it ride the thing
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Yoda's Avatar
Yoda Yoda is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via MSN to Yoda
Default

has anyone ever tried Scuba Diving Gloves for use on the bike
If they are made for cold waters then maybe they would be good for the rain and the cold
http://shop.divebooty.co.uk/90.html
__________________
www.bikerlifestyle.co.uk

yoda yr gwefan

Look At My Goodies
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Kylie's Avatar
Kylie Kylie is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morley (50 yrs behind the times)
Posts: 7,425
Send a message via MSN to Kylie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopkins
Depends on how much space you have on your handlebars but for the cost of almost nothing you can get a large bleach bottle and cut it to shape so that it forms a shield and fit it to the bars with a terry clip...one for each bar...they form a shield from the cold wind and you can still see all your controls....Doesn't work on my bike because I don't have space on the bars...John
Nah mate was telling me how to do that last night, but i was checking out the options while i was sat in traffic and there's no room at all for that sort of malarky
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 23-11-2007, 11:36 PM
booie2's Avatar
booie2 booie2 is offline
Been out, but rather stay in!
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 1,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madastoast
Me I have a pair of them gloves they give away for the diesel in garages they retain the heat and take no space up. Work pretty good too. I crossed the dolomites in a snow storm with just them and my gloves this year so testing went to plan
I was gonna say latex gloves, that is what i use, you still get cold, but not as quick, and it reduces it loads, but maybe madastoasts plastic filling gloves are the better option, definately cheaper,
If you dont wanna pinch em from filling station, you can pick up boxes of plastic and latex gloves from beauty wholesalers.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 24-11-2007, 05:51 AM
Kylie's Avatar
Kylie Kylie is offline
Talk, Type, Breath, Talk, Type, Breath....
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Morley (50 yrs behind the times)
Posts: 7,425
Send a message via MSN to Kylie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booie2
I was gonna say latex gloves, that is what i use, you still get cold, but not as quick, and it reduces it loads, but maybe madastoasts plastic filling gloves are the better option, definately cheaper,
If you dont wanna pinch em from filling station, you can pick up boxes of plastic and latex gloves from beauty wholesalers.
I'm allergic to latex, but i might give it a try wiht some of the plastic ones!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.