100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums

Go Back   100% Biker & Trike Magazine Forums > 100% Biker > Biker Chat

Notices

Old 11-08-2018, 07:45 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

Default Removing crash helmet in petrol stations.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ve-helmet.html

Sorry about the Daily Fail link but its about a situation we have all discussed many times. Perhaps we should all take some action on this score? and put an end to this nonsense.
The Daily Fail probably would not have printed this if it hadn't of been relevant to Boris's recent comments.

Last edited by HOS; 11-08-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:16 AM
Billy No Mates (only virtual ones!)

I already refuse to patronise any place that does this, have done for years.

Around here, it's Sainsbury's, Tesco, Morrisons. Even with a flip-front lid.
Shell used to, but seems someone had a word to corporate and they got it. Which is nice, they're the cheapest at the moment.

Should somewhere I am unfamiliar with do this, SOP is to drop the nozzle on the floor where I stand, take my sweet time putting gloves etc back on, and take my money to somewhere that doesn't insult me.

My local garage, being located next to 2 sink estates, get bilked more often than most. They don't require that you take your lid off. I can turn up in weird gear on a bike they don't recognise, it's fine, they have Hi-Res cameras. Making you take your lid off is just a box-ticking exercise. If it was really about loss prevention, they would be making all shitty Astra's driven by knuckle dragging fucktards in Burberry and Trackies pre-pay whatever a tank full is. Clapped out Transit's would be inspected for containers in the rear. Having worked in them as a Teen, I get how they work.

Last edited by InSanCen; 12-08-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator

I havr been asked on a number of occassions to remove my helmet. I duly oblige, but just give them verbal and don't go back there. I find this all very tedious, remving helmet vs burka argument. It will go on for ever more. I jut fill up do as they bid and don't return. If I haven't lifted the nozzle or put it in the tank I do as INSANCEN does just drop the nozzle if I've already lifted it and then just ride off, But I do make sure that I haven't taken any petrol fisrt though!
Old 12-08-2018, 10:04 AM
Chatter Box

Have yet to experience this as i have only been back to bikes for two years, and up to 2001 its never happened to me, but it does boil my piss, glad its now starting to be publicised, and i think more bikers who get this should be writing to the offending companies and local MPs to try and get this stupid inequality stopped.
I am no racist but some of the current PC piss taking needs to stop as this inequality is only going to fuel the racist flames.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:11 PM

It's surprisingly common. Gear seems to make no difference, neither does bike. Had issues with a crosser type lid and on a 125 rat, yeah, fair enough, it looks off to the normal person. However, I've also had issues on the VFR with a normal flip-lid, which was up, gloves were off, bike turned off and on centre stand.

First and foremost - Don't give them your money. Unless you are ttally desperate to fill up there and then, go elsewhere.

You can also email the head offices, write letters, call them on the bullshit when told it's loss prevention, shout at them them on Twitter etc.

With the latest refusal (Morrisons in Wrexham), They waited until I had done all of the (gloves off, lid up, bike on stand, keys in cap etc), to tell me I had to pre-pay inside *and* remove my flipped-up lid before they would turn the pump on. I dropped the nozzle onto the floor, and quite slowly shut the cap, put my gloves back on, Pulled down my lid, put her off the stand, got on and went to another garage (Shell), who just turned the pump on like normal. Seemed to give the worker in Morissons a shit-fit, she was fucking raging.

The more we do that, the more they get onto head office. Even so, individuals think they know best. Shell changed their stance on it as a company, but individual ones still refuse service. That's when you contact corporate and cause a stink.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:24 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

I would stop short of dropping the nozzle on the floor as you may get fuel spillage and there's a risk you could damage the nozzle then they'd have you for criminal damage.

Just find another garage.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strima View Post
I would stop short of dropping the nozzle on the floor as you may get fuel spillage and there's a risk you could damage the nozzle then they'd have you for criminal damage.

Just find another garage.
Drop, Place gently, sit it on the flat top you put removable caps on..... Whatever floats your boat. Probably best not to practice climbing knots with it though. It's meant to annoy, without being stupid.

I know of one old boy (I think it's a Bantam he rides - not an expert in older bikes) that does it to every pump without someone at them, all nozzles. Nearly pissed myself first time I saw it (on foot), He gave no fucks, whistling the Benny Hill theme tune as well. He had lots of bemused car drivers in Tesco last time I saw it (on bike, passing by, stopped to watch the show). Casually goes around the whole forecourt, pulls out every single nozzle, dangles them down, flips the bird, tells them "No, I won't remove my fucking lid...", and rides off fast enough the poor bike is struggling like a 125 with a fat lad on it. Better than any telly program ever made.
Old 13-08-2018, 12:15 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

See I couldn't give a monkeys about taking my (full face) lid off at a garage, same as I wouldn't go into any shop with it on. I do it anyway cos I don't like wearing the things but I think it's common courtesy to look someone in face when you're dealing with them tbh.

I can see why folk with glasses who take a while to get comfy, or folk with earphones, balaclavas and stuff in can get arsey but that's all it is. That person getting arsey over summat that in all fairness who gives a bugger about?

Paying up front however, that is a major no no and I won't return to any forecourt that makes me feel like a criminal. The nearest garage to my work tried it, but unfortunately for them an awful lot of the bikers they pissed off were also taxi/delivery drivers etc. and the loss of their trade changed their minds pretty quickly.
Old 13-08-2018, 01:59 PM
Been out, but rather stay in!

One of my local ASDA's decided the same thing, so I got her to get a "team leader" to come over fromt he main store to explain why. Her excuse was some bollocks about risk assessment, bit of a red rag to a bull really as I am/was a H&S manager including working on some nuclear sites, I asked if I could see them as if I had to comply to them I would need to see and agree and sign on to them .

In the end I told her if it was a local policy then it should be made clear it was. As I was desperate for the fuel, I pushed the bike round to pay by card pump, no problem there.

BTW its the only ASDA I have had any issue with, I've asked at a couple of others in the area where I wasn't asked to remove my helmet what the policy was and it was "not a problem, why do you ask?"

Now I only ever go to the pay by card pumps.

Incidentally I did get refused fuel once when I was in the car, went to the pump and she had turned it off as I hadn't closed the car door, H&S apparently , I closed the door with me inside and drove off and never went there again, despite me going there for over a year without any issues previously.
Old 13-08-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS2 View Post
I can see why folk with glasses .... That person getting arsey over summat that in all fairness who gives a bugger about?
It's not nothing though, and I give a lot more than a bugger about it. Regularly putting glasses on in a decently fitting lid fucks the arm pivot on them. I object to wear and tear on something I have to pay for. It's the lack of a level playing field. I see plenty of people this time of year, big old sunhat, sunglasses, and they are served without issue. My flip-up lid gives the garage much better footage of my face than them.
Old 13-08-2018, 05:59 PM
Type like a Twat Me...

I always take my shades off when in a shop as I like to make eye contact with whom I'm dealing with. Unless she's got nice tits then I leave them on and just smile...
Old 14-08-2018, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

Nice Tits? All the attendants around here are at least 18 stone russian shotput throwers! You wouldn't want to take your helmets off just for your own protection!...
Old 14-08-2018, 11:48 AM
Type like a Twat Me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSanCen View Post
It's not nothing though, and I give a lot more than a bugger about it. Regularly putting glasses on in a decently fitting lid fucks the arm pivot on them. I object to wear and tear on something I have to pay for. It's the lack of a level playing field. I see plenty of people this time of year, big old sunhat, sunglasses, and they are served without issue. My flip-up lid gives the garage much better footage of my face than them.
I did say full face lid. A flip up is a whole new box of frogs. Saying that, I wear riding glasses (yellow or reactolite) with my open face and always take them off before fuelling/entering a shop. It's hardly the shop assistants fault that your helmet's not great with your glasses is it? Anyhoo, I shall continue not to give a monkeys and you can dish out as many monkeys as you feel fit

No biggy.
Old 14-08-2018, 02:26 PM
It's about time I shut the fuck up!

I pretty certain I've never been asked to remove my lid at a petrol station.
If I have I can't remember. Is it about body language? Although I get followed around shops by security staff on a regular basis which is why I rarely go shopping to shoos.
With the serious lurch I have from my injuries and the size of me, I ain't going to be shoplifting and legging it up the street. The dozy muppits!

Mind you I use psychology innit. So I get off me bike, take my gloves off and then put the cap back on the tank and then make it bleeding onbious that I'm getting my wallet out in my hand as I walk across the forecourt to the pay point.